• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

I am now signed up for a Turkey Trot tomorrow in Massachusetts. I'm mostly just aiming for under 25:00. According to Strava I have hit 25:47 just on casual runs, so I should easily hit that mark when I am motivated with other runners and going at a race pace.

I guess my goals will be the following:

PRs before 2016 (including my times from high school track):

1 Mile: 4:58
5k: 17:58 (I think the race was short, I normally got around 19:00)
5 Mile: ~39:00

Haven't done official races longer than 5 miles.

2017:

Mostly trying to add distance here and get back to the shape I was in at the end of high school and my first two years of college. My first step will be a half marathon in February, if I am still feeling good about my ability to keep running longer distances and I stay healthy I will try for a marathon later in the year.

1 Mile: 6:00
5k: 20:00
5 Mile: 35:00
13.1 Mile: 2:00

Fistwell

Woo, sub5 mile is niiiice. Grats to your young self!

If I may, I think if you hit 20min 5K, you'll be closer to 1h35 than 2h on your semi.

KiKaL

What are your goals for 2017?

No speed goals for me this year just distance.

First goal is to complete a Spartan Ultra Beast in April (30ish miles on a mountain course with 60+ obstacles)

Second goal is to get 25-30miles at the Chicago Toughest Mudder (8 hours to complete as many laps on a 5 mile loop with roughly 12+ obstacles.)

Final goal is to do an Ultra Marathon sans obstacles.

Woo, sub5 mile is niiiice. Grats to your young self!

If I may, I think if you hit 20min 5K, you'll be closer to 1h35 than 2h on your semi.

I was more of a "short" distance runner in high school, I mostly did the 800 and mile. I haven't ever trained for any race that is too long of a distance so I don't want to push it. 2:00 is a baseline goal from a ways out. I might have a better idea when I get closer how fast I can approximately do it.

Edit: A 20:00 5k may be the most ambitious thing I put up there. I'll see how close I get to that tomorrow.

Fistwell

I was more of a "short" distance runner in high school, I mostly did the 800 and mile. I haven't ever trained for any race that is too long of a distance so I don't want to push it. 2:00 is a baseline goal from a ways out. I might have a better idea when I get closer how fast I can approximately do it.

Edit: A 20:00 5k may be the most ambitious thing I put up there. I'll see how close I get to that tomorrow.
Understood. Still think you'll push 1h45 without too much trouble (5min/Km, 12Km/h). 2h is 6min/Km, 10Km/h, you'll feel like you're jogging. In any case, best of luck! :)

KeRaSh

Edit2:

What's your weekly mileage nowadays (when on two legs and healthy)? 1000 / ( 5months x4.2ish weeks ) ~= 47ish Km? You'll crush those goals with ease if you put in consistent 45+K weeks. Rooting for your knee to turn out OK.

It depends. I've ramped it up significantly around mid 2016 in preparation for a 18K extreme obstacle course but shortly before that (vacation) and right after that it dropped to almost 0. Then while getting back into it then knee problems started. I'm sure I can easily beat it if I keep at it without overdoing it.

Just got back from the doc and I've scheduled an MRI for mid December. I was hoping I can get a full diagnosis + recovery plan earlier but it is what it is.
Initial guess from the doc just by looking at X-Rays is wear or a small rip of the lateral meniscus.
Does anyone have experience with that kind of thing?

Fistwell

Just got back from the doc and I've scheduled an MRI for mid December. I was hoping I can get a full diagnosis + recovery plan earlier but it is what it is.
Initial guess from the doc just by looking at X-Rays is wear or a small rip of the lateral meniscus.
Does anyone have experience with that kind of thing?
Not personally, I know it's bad news for pro basketball players, but their joints are exposed to way more violent shocks than runners'. I think it's good news he saw nothing on X-rays. Sounds like he's guessing something with the meniscus because you can't see shit in soft tissues with X-rays.

Sucks things are being delayed further though. ;(

What's he told you to do in the meantime? Rice?

KeRaSh

Not personally, I know it's bad news for pro basketball players, but their joints are exposed to way more violent shocks than runners'. I think it's good news he saw nothing on X-rays. Sounds like he's guessing something with the meniscus because you can't see shit in soft tissues with X-rays.

Sucks things are being delayed further though. ;(

Well she did see a shadow on one side of the knee and I'm guessing that's not how it's supposed to look like. Maybe the meniscus is a little swollen and that's what causes the shadow on the X-Ray.

What's he told you to do in the meantime? Rice?

"Don't run."

you-dont-say-FB.jpg

Well, I hope I stopped early enough to not cause anything major but I guess I'll find out in December...

Daante

But whatabout 2016!? ;O

We're not too far off in terms of PBs. Are you in the strava group? Wouldn't mind checking out your workouts. /creepy stalker

My 2016 season is officially over (Nov and Dec are not really running-season where i live so to speak), so i have thought what i want to accomplish for next year.

I am not in the strava group, and have never been.

For next year i will invest in custom tailored training programs from Jack Daniels run smart project, starting with a 12 week half marathon program. Ideally i think 5 sessions/week is the most my body can manage during a long season. I will share my weekly workouts here in this thread once i start getting serious, which will be early January 2017.

I see quality threshold sessions as one of the major contributions that i managed to almost cut 1 minute of my 10 km PB this year, in a time period of less than 6 months. If i had knew more about VDOT and stuff like that (discovered it this year, been running since 2011..) i think i had a better development as a runner.

Would be great to hear from you and your weekly/monthly training schedule aswell, since our PBs are quite close!

Fistwell

Week 1 - Work Out 2 : 6 x (800@3:45; 400R).
Reps1-5: 2:58.3, 2:58.2, 2:58.0, 2:56.5, 2:56.5
Rep6 SMACKDOWN CHALLENGE: 2:49.4, w/ 38.6 last 200.

Went fine, was honestly scared beforehand, seemed like too much volume, too little recovery in-between intervals. Maybe had a few more reps in me... but that last 200 killed me ded. DED!

For next year i will invest in custom tailored training programs from Jack Daniels run smart project, starting with a 12 week half marathon program.
Yeah I think getting into an actual training plan is a valuable investment of your efforts. I've been kind of winging it for a while, and at times it feels like I'm spinning my wheels. I have a reasonable grasp of what workout does what, but I haven't had (so far) the discipline to sit down and write out a solid training program. Been doing what I feel like doing, which is fun, but not necessarily the most effective.

I see quality threshold sessions as one of the major contributions that i managed to almost cut 1 minute of my 10 km PB this year, in a time period of less than 6 months. If i had knew more about VDOT and stuff like that (discovered it this year, been running since 2011..) i think i had a better development as a runner.
Yeah I mean, there's always more to learn over the years, right? But yeah, tempo workouts are certainly useful. I think what's most useful depends on your current strengths and weaknesses. Saw huge improvements myself last year from getting into longer intervals (mile repeats). It touched upon something I seemed to have been missing.

Would be great to hear from you and your weekly/monthly training schedule aswell, since our PBs are quite close!
Sure thing! Join the group on strava, it's small but it's fierce pretty active!

Not a bad way to start my 30th birthday. 1st in my AG and 8th overall. Still trying to get over knee problems before Boston training starts next month. Very nasty hill at the end. 25 second PR

aAfMH5p.jpg

Well I ran a 24:04 5k yesterday. I came in 217th overall in a race with about 9,000 people, a lot of them were walkers though. I had negative splits the whole way because the first mile was a 200+ foot elevation gain and then the rest of the way was cruising down the back side of the hill. I think I'm going to need some running gloves and other cold weather gear, my hands were freezing and it was distracting me for most of the second mile.

My splits were roughly:

Mile 1: 8:00
Mile 2: 7:32
Mile 3: 7:18

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Girlfriend just competed in her first 5K after starting C25K two months ago. She literally was starting out without running since she was a young girl and ended up completing the race in 28:30.

Girlfriend just competed in her first 5K after starting C25K two months ago. She literally was starting out without running since she was a young girl and ended up completing the race in 28:30.

Good time, congratulations are in order!

it's a mason jar. actually more useful than other AG rewards i got in the past haha.

It's a nice reward for sure. A memento that you can use instead of being another another piece of clutter, double the value! ;)

Did the 93rd Jean Bouin 10K today, managed to finish in 39:46. Happy about the time considering the last three km were uphill :D

fester

Banned
Well I ran a 24:04 5k yesterday. I came in 217th overall in a race with about 9,000 people, a lot of them were walkers though. I had negative splits the whole way because the first mile was a 200+ foot elevation gain and then the rest of the way was cruising down the back side of the hill. I think I'm going to need some running gloves and other cold weather gear, my hands were freezing and it was distracting me for most of the second mile.

My splits were roughly:

Mile 1: 8:00
Mile 2: 7:32
Mile 3: 7:18

Negative splits are always the way to go, nice job.

panda-zebra

Catching up on this thread, lots of good stuff going on!

Got a 10k at the weekend (Wilmslow), it's a mostly flat road race and a way bigger event than I realised (1500 entrants). For some reason it looked more like a fun run when I entered. I've not done a pure road 10k yet and this one actually looks decent (wide closed roads, nothing really twisty/turny and mostly slightly downhill for the first half and only one short hill of note after that) so I'm going for a best time. It might have come a couple of weeks too soon for how I feel, but at least I'll have fun sporting my green Santa hat (elf/helper?) to match my shirt and shoes.

Better too cold than too hot. Once you're warmed up, you'll be fine. Covering extremities could be a plus though, maybe (gloves+beanie or something?). Good luck!

Full pyjamas or GTFO.

Don't do that, I'm an idiot.

I'm going to parkrun more, find some new ones to try out, and try not to book a race for every single free weekend in the calendar. I might even attempt some sort of structured training at some point, I'm so arse/elbow with that stuff.

At some point, when I feel close to 100%, I'd like to attempt the same parkrun where I got my 5k PB in Summer - that day I had breathing issues thanks to tree pollen or the fields they just cut, so I felt I could have done better without chonging on my ventolin. I did it a week after a HM of low-intensity hill repeats, maybe that was good prep.

I am not in the strava group, and have never been.

For next year i will invest in custom tailored training programs from Jack Daniels run smart project, starting with a 12 week half marathon program.

There's apparently decent training programmes on Strava for premium members. Not all premium accounts are paid for, PM me if you want to chat about it ;-)

Yo, veggie sticks, I'll do the 5 week challenge too. I'll post my splits in here. Would be cool if you (and anyone else interested?) did the same. Interested to see how y'all doing (and it's not like we get excess traffic in here as is anyways).

Week 1 - Work Out 1 : 4 x ( 400 on; 200 off; 200 on; 400 off). Target times: below 1:30 on 400, below 45 on 200.
rep1
400m - 1:25.0 - 3:31/K
200m - 42.3 - 3:36/K
rep2
410m - 1:25.3 - 3:30/K
200m - 40.1 - 3:18/K
rep3
400m - 1:23.2 - 3:26/K
200m - 39.1 - 3:13/K
rep4
400m - 1:27.7 - 3:40/K
210m - 35.5 - 2:52/K

I'm using the same target pace they have in the video (6min/mile). It went fine overall, felt like I had several more reps in me but didn't want to get burned out, looking out for a number of tough workouts ahead (6x800 @target pace, 3x1600). Definitely got short changed by my GPS on the last 400. Would rather run it on a track, but the park was nice and... havent looked up any tracks around here yet. Disappoint in the SMACKDOWN CHALLENGE. I opened up that last 200 pretty well, then there were people, a curve, and a bicycle zigzagging. Hard to navigate that shit, keep good form, and keep a handle on the watch to stop it at the right time. Garmin rounds it up to 10m, so assuming this is close to 210, that comes down to a 34ish 200. Not terrible, but thought I was much faster than that (definitely ran 200 reps closer to 32).

Let us know how yours goes!

Sorry Festwill! Was a bit of a mad end of the week for me and I neglected to check the thread or be very disciplined with running. Also the C O L D S N A P is coming to smash the UK this week, and suddenly I'm somewhat lazy.

However I did try the Turkey Trot challenge like you did, but I didn't get the mile/KM setting right at all and did 0.4 of a mile instead 0.4 of a KM like a prat... And only fixed it after my first "set".
I have to admit, it was really fun because I felt really focused on the running for once (instead of just spacing out listening to some music), keeping an eye on the distance and being "On" and then being "off".

I don't really have the intervals - but I will try to get them when I try it later this week again from scratch - especially fun to do to get through that 24-day Advent 5K...

I think just keep with it, and avoid injury with better strength training.

I did a sub hour 10K over the summer, but it would be cool to get it under 00:50.

Other milestones - I guess 2 half-marathons again?
That was a fine goal over 2016, and I'm really happy I made it (even if the last one was pretty crap, but lesson learned) - I reckon I'd at least do one half again and try to get below 02:00...

There's a chance I may be in the US for 3 months next year, pondering using the time to train for a real life marathon. Shame it's mad expensive to do one in America, I'm hearing great things about Paris... I'm pondering entering that - main thing is aint-nobody-got-time to raise money for charity, as much as I'd like to, realistically really too much pressure, so London is out for a while... I'll def take the plunge again next April and see if I win the ballot for 2018.

Edit: Bugger me, I think can still enter the 9th April 2017 Paris marathon...
Is it really overly optimistic to start training now for it?

Just jumped into the Strava group today. Started running again about a month ago and have been trying to work on a base. Goal for near term is to do a 10k (May 2017 Bolder Boulder) in <45 min.

Background:

Been running on and off for the last 15 years or so. Did a couple marathons, hated them. I've done a few 13.1s and have enjoyed those much more. Did some of my best long running in 2012 and have kind of fallen off since. Figured maybe jumping in here would keep me focused passed that 6-8 week period where I normally fall off.

DagsJT

Managed a 45:04 5 mile PB on Sunday which I'm really happy with. It was a multi terrain course and with the weather we're having lately, it was really muddy and icy in patches. I had to slow right down at times to turn corners in mud so I'm really surprised I got a PB.

Next race for me is Liverpool Santa Dash which isn't a race as such, far too many people walk it all and it's just fun really.

Goal for 2017 I think will be to run with the next group up in my running club. They run between 8-9 minutes miles and so I need to work on maintaining my speed and increasing stamina to run distances at that speed.

I'll get there though. I noticed last year I did a 10k with a pace of 12:39 minute miles. I haven't ran a 10k in a while but that 5 miler over the weekend was 9 minute miles so I've already made a huge jump in one year. I'm confident I can eek a bit more out and get into the next group up.

kottila

If you're looking for some variation, Strava has a page with 12 different interval workouts http://blog.strava.com/run-weekly-workout/. I've tried the switchblade (temporun 3x3km) where first half of each interval is slower than desired 10km pace and last half is faster and the moneghetti (speed intervals) and really liked them. Been struggling with overtraining issues for almost two years, but I'm finally feeling that those days are behind me for and maybe next year I'll be back in decent shape.

(The running world would be so much simpler if everyone used the same unit for pacing, preferably min/km as almost all races are measured in km)

Fistwell

(The running world would be so much simpler if everyone used the same unit for pacing, preferably min/km as almost all races are measured in km)
How much in that in Km/miles? I'm at around 1.6.

Gemüsestäbchen;225597534 said:
Sorry Festwill! Was a bit of a mad end of the week for me and I neglected to check the thread or be very disciplined with running. Also the C O L D S N A P is coming to smash the UK this week, and suddenly I'm somewhat lazy.
No worries. I kinda gave up on posting splits since it was essentially me talking to myself. The program isn't that bad so far, although some of the scheduling is a little off.

Gemüsestäbchen;225598444 said:
Bugger me, I think can still enter the 9th April 2017 Paris marathon...
Is it really overly optimistic to start training now for it?
It's about right... a lot of marathon training plans are 16 weeks.

Well I ran a 24:04 5k yesterday. I came in 217th overall in a race with about 9,000 people, a lot of them were walkers though. I had negative splits the whole way because the first mile was a 200+ foot elevation gain and then the rest of the way was cruising down the back side of the hill.

Managed a 45:04 5 mile PB on Sunday which I'm really happy with. It was a multi terrain course and with the weather we're having lately, it was really muddy and icy in patches. I had to slow right down at times to turn corners in mud so I'm really surprised I got a PB.
Great work guys and girl!

Just jumped into the Strava group today. Started running again about a month ago and have been trying to work on a base. Goal for near term is to do a 10k (May 2017 Bolder Boulder) in <45 min.
Welcome and best of luck on base building! What kind of weekly mileage you going for?

Full pyjamas or GTFO.

I don't post in this thread but I do read it. I'm nothing special when it comes to speed but I do run a lot. I track every run in a spreadsheet and realized at the end of October that if I busted my ass, I would hit 3,000 miles this year. At the end of October I needed 500 more miles.

I'm going to hit 250 for November, barely. It's going to be a stretch, but I will do the other 250 in December. I know I'll do it, because now that I know it's possible I won't let it not happen. But I'm not training for anything at the moment so running another 250 (when I've already run 2,750 this year) is going to be hard mentally.

I'm really thinking about trying a 50-miler in 2017. I've done several 50ks and a few marathons but the jump to 50 miles is hard to wrap my head around.

I am 37 and 2016 has been my best year running, and I've been doing it for around 15 years. I wonder, at my age, how much longer I can keep up this amount of running and still improve. Still having a lot of fun though and running has a very positive impact on my life. I don't run in a group, I don't have friends that run. It's all me by myself.

Damm that's a lot of k's.
I started again in april i think and now i have almost 1000K.
In 2 weeks i will do my last 50K.
Next year will be a full year of running again with some serious trails so excited to start.

Okay, it's 1st of Dec.

Starting this 5K everyday thing - the challenge is finding the time tbh - this is a busy season and work commitments as I freelance actually make my daily/weekly schedule annoying unpredictable of late, rather than more flexibility time to run.

The mental side of it too, it's gotten cold here, I'm a bit annoyed with my laziness and work has been grating.

Have to maintain discipline, this is easily only under 30 mins a day, and see it as a peaceful headspace free of all the other stuff...

I'll post how it all goes - been really nice posting on this forum - thanks to everyone so far.

Gemüsestäbchen;225751976 said:
Okay, it's 1st of Dec.

Starting this 5K everyday thing - the challenge is finding the time tbh - this is a busy season and work commitments as I freelance actually make my daily/weekly schedule annoying unpredictable of late, rather than more flexibility time to run.

The mental side of it too, it's gotten cold here, I'm a bit annoyed with my laziness and work has been grating.

Have to maintain discipline, this is easily only under 30 mins a day, and see it as a peaceful headspace free of all the other stuff...

I'll post how it all goes - been really nice posting on this forum - thanks to everyone so far.

Keep us updated. I like to read the stuff posted here ;)

Okay, first day down

1st Dec. - 30:32 mins - 9.35 /m or 5:57/KM

Gotta be up bloody early to squeeze it in before work next couple of days, that's the real test!

panda-zebra

Gemüsestäbchen;225756056 said:
Okay, first day down

Gotta be up bloody early to squeeze it in before work next couple of days, that's the real test!

Really is the best way to get it done and set you up for the rest of the day though. Having said that, I've only managed it on a few rare occasions, when I set myself a few personal challenges.

DagsJT

90th run of the year for me tonight, working towards hitting 100 by the end of 2016. Two runs a week, with an extra run at some point, and I'll just about hit it.

Got to admit I'm pretty pleased with that milestone considering I started running last October.

Really is the best way to get it done and set you up for the rest of the day though. Having said that, I've only managed it on a few rare occasions, when I set myself a few personal challenges.

Yeah, I'm not too fazed at the moment - once I'm up on the mornings I'm up.

My issue is that I can be completely wrecked with fatigue after a run, like today, I think my lunch of egg fried rice was not a good choice, I literally took a nap this afternoon - which I really didn't have time for :(
It's also ridiculous after 5K, so any tips for carb-loading or whatever after a run?
(Caveat: I know my work/life balance a mess at the moment - so maybe it's just a combination of stress and fatigue - and I should just listen to my body and sleep, but hey had insomnia for a good 2.5 years now too so ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯ )

90th run of the year for me tonight, working towards hitting 100 by the end of 2016. Two runs a week, with an extra run at some point, and I'll just about hit it.

Got to admit I'm pretty pleased with that milestone considering I started running last October.

Well done! That's amazing :)

Okay, first day down

Good job! Rooting for you all the way.

As an early-Sunday (Festwill is a fan of this timeslot ;b) runner the trick is to start running before you wake up completely, this way what you just did doesn't strike you until you are too invested in the run hahaha.

Good job! Rooting for you all the way.

As an early-Sunday (Festwill is a fan of this timeslot ;b) runner the trick is to start running before you wake up completely, this way what you just did doesn't strike you until you are too invested in the run hahaha.

Thanks Duebrithil!
Found out some of my mates are on Strava too, so we're all in some support group now haha.

Def need to do that "get running before you realise" trick tomorrow morn., tbh I think it def works out best than afternoon / evening runs in the end.

Asgaro

Okay, first day down

Good luck!

Currently on 1,164 miles/1800km for the year with CIM, my first marathon, coming up on Sunday. Definitely the most running I've ever done in a single year but have the capacity for more given that I was injured April through half of July.

Hoping to break 2,000 miles next year but we'll see &#128516;.

2nd Dec. - 30:48 mins - 9.38 /m or 5.59/KM

Done phew! Before the sun was even up, but I do feel all smug and glowy.
I admit I let my mind wander, was half-awake and suddenly I was almost on my way home! I could tell I wasn't really making that much effort, so no surprise I was slower that yesterday...

Fistwell

As an early-Sunday (Festwill is a fan of this timeslot ;b)
It takes a special kind of vicious to go suffer in the cold the one day intended for you to stay in bed. Just saying! :)

Also, is it summer yet!!?!?? Running in the dark on icy ground isn't the greatest thing.

2nd Dec. - 30:48 mins - 9.38 /m or 5.59/KM
3rd Dec. - 34:26 mins / 5.44KM - 10:11 /m or 6:20/KM

Slow rest day run to work - was actually pretty pleasant and easy

It takes a special kind of vicious to go suffer in the cold the one day intended for you to stay in bed. Just saying! :)

Also, is it summer yet!!?!?? Running in the dark on icy ground isn't the greatest thing.

Yeah, we need the summer back!! Running in the woods in the dark is not fun with just a small light.

Hi all,

32 years old and haven't gone for a run since I was 14 in PE.

Was challenged to do the couch to 5k by a friend of mine, and when I mentioned it to the missus, her scepticism was off the charts.

This fueled me to actually go and do it!

Bought all the gear, grabbed the app and went for my first run Thursday morning @ 6am.

I struggled at first, but as it went on, I started to realise I could actually do this and really enjoyed it. (the podcast thing helped)

Anywho, thought I'd post here - this is doable, and I'm doing it.

Next run today (my legs ache, but gonna do it anyway)

Fistwell

Man, the cold was pretty bad this morning. Internets says it was -4C, felt like minus one million. Saw a lot of other hobby joggers out there, I was the only one in shorts. Drew some stares, I think one or two actually laughed out loud at me lol. Bad side of things is that I ran faster than I should have on an easy day because I needed to keep warm. There goes my recovery. #(fitness)GainzKiller

Legs have been feeling great though, so that's a plus. Will need to pull out the old PJs for tonight's and tomorrow runs. Not particularly excited at the prospect. And, no, Kevin, I'm not taking a PJ selfie.

Hi all,

32 years old and haven't gone for a run since I was 14 in PE.

Was challenged to do the couch to 5k by a friend of mine, and when I mentioned it to the missus, her scepticism was off the charts.

This fueled me to actually go and do it!

Bought all the gear, grabbed the app and went for my first run Thursday morning @ 6am.

I struggled at first, but as it went on, I started to realise I could actually do this and really enjoyed it. (the podcast thing helped)

Anywho, thought I'd post here - this is doable, and I'm doing it.

Next run today (my legs ache, but gonna do it anyway)
Running out of spite, anger, resentment, and to prove someone wrong?!?
Sounds like the perfect kind of motivation! Let the anger flow through you! :)

Welcome here. Not sure what your C25K program calls for, but if you're just getting started and your legs are tired, maybe runs two days in a row is not the best idea. Unless you're like 20yo and then I say to you, enjoy your youth while you still have it you jerk. /bitter old man

Edit: wait, you're 32, I am blind. I wouldnt run 2 days in a row if your legs hurt, especially if you're just getting started.

Edit2: wait, your first run was thursday! Fuck it then, go out and run like the wind! (I'm not awake, all blood in my legs none to my brains, etc).

Top Bottom