• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyFaith

ibzyFoCzVeaaWQ.gif

This season is totes my favorite.

I dont think you have introduced yourself, who are your faves mate

My name's Matthew and I stan for Utada Hikaru, Jade Valerie, Christina Aguilera, Lana Del Rey and Natalia Kills. I also like Lady Gaga, Kylie Minogue, Amerie, Azealia Banks, Girls Aloud, LIGHTS, Rachel Stevens, Lily Allen, Robyn, Madonna, Britney Spears, Nicola Roberts, Katy B, Brown Eyed Girls, 2NE1, Ivy, Namie Amuro, Ayumi Hamasaki, Angela Aki and Koda Kumi. There's more but I'm too lazy to list them all.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My name's Matthew and I stan for Utada Hikaru, Jade Valerie, Christina Aguilera, Lana Del Rey and Natalia Kills. I also like Lady Gaga, Kylie Minogue, Amerie, Azealia Banks, Girls Aloud, LIGHTS, Rachel Stevens, Lily Allen, Robyn, Madonna, Britney Spears, Nicola Roberts, Katy B, Brown Eyed Girls, 2NE1, Ivy, Namie Amuro, Ayumi Hamasaki, Angela Aki and Koda Kumi. There's more but I'm too lazy to list them all.

oh my literal god

we share so many faves

another girls aloud stan

another katy b stan

another robyn stan

shaking and crying rn can't deal

[edit] okay one of you own up

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/dec/19/lana-del-rey-oscars-sabotage

Is Lana Del Rey's Oscar campaign being sabotaged?
Academy Award voters have reportedly been sent an anonymous printout of an article that states singer's song Young and Beautiful is not eligible for best original song prize

RubyFaith

No flaws detected.

My name's Matthew and I stan for Utada Hikaru, Jade Valerie, Christina Aguilera, Lana Del Rey and Natalia Kills. I also like lady Gaga, Kylie Minogue, Amerie, Azealia Banks, Girls Aloud, LIGHTS, Rachel Stevens, Lily Allen, Robyn, Madonna, Britney Spears, Nicola Roberts, Katy B, Brown Eyed Girls, 2NE1, Ivy, Namie Amuro, Ayumi Hamasaki, Angela Aki and Koda Kumi. There's more but I'm too lazy to list them all.

The fact that you Stan both of the baddest bitches in Kpop makes me love you! 2NE1 and BEG all day!!! Please tell me you like Sistar?

Aww, I feel so welcomed! I'm going to love it here.

The fact that you Stan both of the baddest bitches in Kpop makes me love you! 2NE1 and BEG all day!!! Please tell me you like Sistar?

I haven't heard anything from Sistar. What do you recommend?

No Beysus or Rihallah
iF3r0s8RtQeJL.gif

If it makes you feel any better I am going to buy BEYONCÉ. It will be my first Beyoncé album. I have been loving her new material.

royalan

OMG

What flawless taste. *.*

Welcome, young one!!

Mumei

[edit] You should all read this article about why white feminists hate Beyoncé. I know that Mumei and royalancé will get a kick out of it.

Unicorn Lover was right. For instance, the "entertainer, not artist" critique was also one that Michael Jackson experienced.

Yet among critics (predominantly white), skepticism and suspicion only grew. "He will not swiftly be forgiven for having turned so many tables," predicted James Baldwin in 1985, "for he damn sure grabbed the brass ring, and the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo has nothing on Michael."

Baldwin proved prophetic. In addition to a flood of ridicule regarding his intelligence, race, sexuality, appearance, and behavior, even his success and ambition were used by critics as evidence that he lacked artistic seriousness. Reviews frequently described his work as "calculating," "slick," and "shallow." Establishment rock critics such as Dave Marsh and Greil Marcus notoriously dismissed Jackson as the first major popular music phenomenon whose impact was more commercial than cultural. Elvis Presley, the Beatles, and Bruce Springsteen, they claimed, challenged and re-shaped society. Jackson simply sold records and entertained.

It shouldn't be much of a strain to hear the racial undertones in such an assertion. Historically, this dismissal of black artists (and black styles) as somehow lacking substance, depth and import is as old as America. It was the lie that constituted minstrelsy. It was a common criticism of spirituals (in relation to traditional hymns), of jazz in the '20s and '30s, of R&B in the '50s and '60s, of funk and disco in the '70s, and of hip-hop in the '80s and '90s (and still today). The cultural gatekeepers not only failed to initially recognize the legitimacy of these new musical styles and forms, they also tended to overlook or reduce the achievements of the African-American men and women who pioneered them. The King of Jazz, for white critics, wasn't Louis Armstrong, it was Paul Whiteman; the King of Swing wasn't Duke Ellington, it was Benny Goodman; the King of Rock wasn't Chuck Berry or Little Richard, it was Elvis Presley.

Given this history of white coronation, it is worth considering why the media took such issue with referring to Michael Jackson as the King of Pop. Certainly his achievements merited such a title. Yet up until his death in 2009, many journalists insisted on referring to him as the "self-proclaimed King of Pop." Indeed, in 2003, Rolling Stone went so far as to ridiculously re-assign the title to Justin Timberlake. (To keep with the historical pattern, just last year the magazine devised a formula that coronated Eminem--over Run DMC, Public Enemy, Tupac, Jay-Z, or Kanye West--as the King of Hip Hop).

So it isn't at all surprising when the "artist-entertainer" paradigm is deployed to dismiss yet another black artist as lacking depth or seriousness.

In the genre of "articles that have something to critique about Beyoncé's feminism," though, this is one of the more interesting ones. I don't know that I agree with every critique; I think the critique of **Flawless is off the mark, for the reasons some of the commenters note, but I do think the implicit celebration / reinforcement of hierarchical relationships in some videos is worth thinking about. Personally I think she's pretty clearly playing almost a caricature of exaggerated, aristocratic wealth. She could have just as easily pointed to videos like XO or Blue for examples of Beyoncé being portrayed in ways that are more down to earth and connected, rather than the unobtainable and unrelatable diva.

But it is worth discussing, I think.

Oh, and roy needn't read it. He's already commenting on it, under the name "Val."

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Thing I love about BEYONCÉ #10394:

How effortlessly Bey pummels that 'can't emote' trope the NAVY have been bandying about for the past year. Her voice is so lust-filled on Drunk In Love that it even gets me in the mood. Her voice is so vulnerable and sincere on XO that I defy anyone not to get a lump in their throat. It's so earnest on Jealous that nobody should ever accuse her of being distant or aloof again. And it's so commanding on ***Flawless that you should all just give up protecting your faves from the Beynami and bow down.

royalan

^^ And it's about time.

I agree that Beyonce stepped her game up vocally as far as emoting goes (and giving us something other than that ridiculous "HOOD PASSION" grunt that dominated most of 4), but that's just it: she stepped her game up.

It's why I can praise this album and still stand behind the shade I threw at her previous efforts.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
^^ And it's about time.

I agree that Beyonce stepped her game up vocally as far as emoting goes (and giving us something other than that ridiculous "HOOD PASSION" grunt that dominated most of 4), but that's just it: she stepped her game up.

It's why I can praise this album and still stand behind the shade I threw at her previous efforts.

I still think she was pretty emotive on 4. She sounds positively overjoyed on Countdown and Love On Top, and she sounds fierce as hell on Run the World ('fierce' is an emotion, look it up). She sounds pretty tender on I Was Here, too.

There's patches in her prior work. Halo is earnest too.

But I agree she has stepped up her game with BEYONCÉ; but then she's stepped it up across the board with BEYONCÉ, so it's no surprise that her singing has improved substantially too.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
someone needs to gif this scene and shop bey in

DG5KrzN.png

pretty much spoiled for choice for whose face to shop onto the hamburglar

Mumei

How effortlessly Bey pummels that 'can't emote' trope the NAVY have been bandying about for the past year. Her voice is so lust-filled on Drunk In Love that it even gets me in the mood. Her voice is so vulnerable and sincere on XO that I defy anyone not to get a lump in their throat. It's so earnest on Jealous that nobody should ever accuse her of being distant or aloof again. And it's so commanding on ***Flawless that you should all just give up protecting your faves from the Beynami and bow down.

When I was watching her concert DVDs, one thing that struck me was that almost every part of every song was sung in the same solid, middle voice, mezzo-forte to forte dynamic range. I was listening to Mariah's performance in Tokyo, and the range in vocal approach from Emotions to Underneath the Stars to Forever to Just Be Good To Me was noticeably different. It is something I know she can do, but she just wasn't doing it in the concert DVDs I watched.

So it was nice to see a return to that sort of variety in this album - she shows a lot more of that sort of versatility on Haunted, on Blow, on XO, on No Angel, on Partition, or on Yoncé, just to name a few, than she ever did in the concert DVDs. And I hope that when she performs the songs live she keeps those differences and doesn't end up homogenizing them for live performance.

In some ways I think she challenges herself less vocally on this album - there's nothing like Love On Top, no runs quite so impressive as the intro to Countdown, and she doesn't seem to use her upper belt all that much above E5 - but overall I don't think I've liked her voice or her singing more.

I haven't heard anything from Sistar. What do you recommend?

If it makes you feel any better I am going to buy BEYONCÉ. It will be my first Beyoncé album. I have been loving her new material.

Woooow!! Well let's start.

Push Push

Oh Baby

Ma Boy

This is from their best era. The song that clocked FlopMinute

Alone

Lead Me

Come Closer (Short but dope)

Then there another good clock from them

Lovin U

This is the most recent

Give it to me

Also Mumei, do you listen to Kpop? Reason is because there is a girl in this group that I put up. Her name is Hyorin and in Korea, they proclaimed her as the Korean Beyonce. Since your so good at recognizing vocals, would you say she lived up to that name..

A couple I can show you

Some of her older vocal showcases

She's improved a little better now.. Once I get on my second break ill post them.

RubyFaith

Psshhhh Alone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> X100 and snatched your favs wig.

But Volume up was okay

Starship bought Sistar's popularity that year, that's why the did so successful with Alone, which is nothing special tbqfh. I did like their follow ups like Loving You and everything they've put out after.

Volume Up was robbed.

Bladenic

Anyone else really love Drunk in Love? I never see it mentioned as a favorite, and I assume that's because Jay. But I don't think the rest of the song should be ignored. I particularly love how she says "drunk in love" especially the time after the body grinding lyric.

Starship bought Sistar's popularity that year, that's why the did so successful with Alone, which is nothing special tbqfh. I did like their follow ups like Loving You and everything they've put out after.

Volume Up was robbed.

Such lies as if Volume Up was bringing that Casa Blanca sexiness but instead was serving a huge twilight true blood mess. Let me not on Hyuna being in the front of all the better bitches in that entire video. Ugh, that will never be forgiven.

The song would of been better if the video didn't trash it. Sistar and FlopMinute wasn't even in a competition until 4nias started talking crap about Sistar... It was so sweet watching them lose like that and I became a true star1 that day lol.

Edit: Also the real reason I can't Stand 4minutes is because they officially came out trying to be like 2NE1 and I hated it. That and really Hyuna.. I just can't.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Anyone else really love Drunk in Love? I never see it mentioned as a favorite, and I assume that's because Jay. But I don't think the rest of the song should be ignored. I particularly love how she says "drunk in love" especially the time after the body grinding lyric.

slay i just sent a text to my housemate saying i think drunk in love is my fave track now

Yado

It's my favourite. I've even made peace with Jay's verse.

JCX

Does no one use Aura aside from me? I feel so alone.

Aura, Applause, and DWUW are the only songs from Artpop I really listen to.

Holy crap, Entertainment Tonight is going INNNN on The Voice right now!

Opened the show with: "Does anyone even remember who just won The Voice?" and then comparing the show's string of flop winners to Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood liiiii

DEATH

it's because TheVoice = Access Hollywood, their competition. E.T. stays trying to front like American Idol is still happening. What they need to do is go the fuck in on AI's decline. I mean where is Candice Glover (hew?). Exactly.

iblD5wwChKu5nb.gif

The Voice is a TV show about four judges who watch hews sing songs in battle rounds or something. Also a haven for ex-idols who couldn't win their seasons.

Idol still has the better track record, it just needs a new panel and a moratorium on any songs before 1990.

Didn't like it at first, but it's been growing on me just because I forget to hit repeat on Haunted.

RubyFaith

Such lies as if Volume Up was bringing that Casa Blanca sexiness but instead was serving a huge twilight true blood mess. Let me not on Hyuna being in the front of all the better bitches in that entire video. Ugh, that will never be forgiven.

The song would of been better if the video didn't trash it. Sistar and FlopMinute wasn't even in a competition until 4nias started talking crap about Sistar... It was so sweet watching them lose like that and I became a true star1 that day lol.

negativeman @ the truth of there being too much Hyuna

The fanwar between 4nias and Star1s was messy because Star1s leaked 4minute's album before it even dropped so I don't know if the slander came before or after but that was bound to happen between the groups since their comebacks were literally only days apart. Kpop brings the bitch out in people, I don't even...

tumblr_mw69zwh6re1qhub34o4_r1_250.gif

Who knew right?

In other news, I bought three tickets to the artRAVE. Soooo excited. Who else is going???

Meeee!! Cleveland, because it's the closest :( still 4 hours away though. I'm going to go all out with my outfit this time, I'll post a pic once I get it together.

Loooove this. I love Alaska <3

So I've managed to get through the whole album (Beyoncé, obvs) and most of the videos... I'll post my thought on each one in an upcoming post, not necessarily because I think anyone is like "I NEED TO KNOW WHAT FORUMS USER SOUSOUROCKET THINKS" but because I want to just put my ideas down properly. Nothing fancy or artistic XD All I will say is that stanning is a new thing for me, and since I began to be involved in the whole thing after Born This Way came out I've never had the privilege of stanning for someone while they're on top of the world/charts. It feels like I won a beauty pageant ;____; <3

tumblr_mhtpinXfXJ1r6n1aro1_500.gif

negativeman @ the truth of there being too much Hyuna

The fanwar between 4nias and Star1s was messy because Star1s leaked 4minute's album before it even dropped so I don't know if the slander came before or after but that was bound to happen between the groups since their comebacks were literally only days apart. Kpop brings the bitch out in people, I don't even...

tumblr_mw69zwh6re1qhub34o4_r1_250.gif

So true but idk if that was the reason. That beef started after the debuts.

tumblr_mulzh6zJy71rqdlf6o2_250.gif

4minute was scheduled to debut before 2NO1 but then YG pushed the girl's date up.

While 2ne1 is global and recognized for their cutting edge fashion, working with the best producers, being iconic outside of Korea remaining unbothered, FlopMinute remains local bitches so...

HIYEoN7.gif

RubyFaith

So true but idk if that was the reason. That beef started after the debuts.

While 2ne1 is global and recognized for their cutting edge fashion, working with the best producers, being iconic outside of Korea remaining unbothered, FlopMinute remains local bitches so...

HIYEoN7.gif

I'm ok with local
Kpop being spread to the west like it's about something is embarassing to tell you the truth.

I only anticipate CL's American debut if it's nothing like that Bad Girl mess she pulled. The rest of the group can get dropped, I don't really care eh eh eh eh eh.
1dfa535ecd70ccbe36e59c3fc0212893.gif

OMG a Utada stan <333333333

We share a lot of the same faves. I like you! Welcome :D

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So I've managed to get through the whole album (Beyoncé, obvs) and most of the videos... I'll post my thought on each one in an upcoming post, not necessarily because I think anyone is like "I NEED TO KNOW WHAT FORUMS USER SOUSOUROCKET THINKS" but because I want to just put my ideas down properly. Nothing fancy or artistic XD All I will say is that stanning is a new thing for me, and since I began to be involved in the whole thing after Born This Way came out I've never had the privilege of stanning for someone while they're on top of the world/charts. It feels like I won a beauty pageant ;____; <3

tumblr_mhtpinXfXJ1r6n1aro1_500.gif

Sis we're always interested in reading what the members of the community think about tracks, even when we disagree.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yoko Ono: Without Lady Gaga Art Would Be Dead
elle-yoko-ono-nFV0Nu-h-lgn.jpg

Who do you think is leading the charge of forward-thinking artists?

For both women and men, it is good to have an artist like Lady Gaga stick her neck out. Otherwise, art will be dead.

Source
Yoko...
:eyes:

I'm dying a bit

Wilsongt

Stan those JPop queens.

In honor of our new jPop stan:

Utada -- Goodbye Happiness
Utada -- Sakura Drops

Namie Amuro -- Come

Ayumi -- Evolution
Ayumi -- Fly High
Ayumi -- Dearest

Touchdown

Banned

.I'm sure the more includes Mimi Christmas. Welcome! :)

tumblr_mxlysyW5vO1qd8zg3o1_500.gif

Woooow!! Well let's start.

Push Push

Oh Baby

Ma Boy

This is from their best era. The song that clocked FlopMinute

Alone

Lead Me

Come Closer (Short but dope)

Then there another good clock from them

Lovin U

This is the most recent

Give it to me

I will go through them all and let you know what I think!

OMG a Utada stan <333333333

We share a lot of the same faves. I like you! Welcome :D

Thanks!

Stan those JPop queens.

In honor of our new jPop stan:

Flawless choices.

.I'm sure the more includes Mimi Christmas. Welcome! :)

tumblr_mxlysyW5vO1qd8zg3o1_500.gif

Will you kill me if I say no? (I did like The Emancipation Of Mimi)

DMeisterJ

Banned

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom