• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

so many potential article titles for royalancé

I wonder if this #BeyonceThinkPiece, "Reading Beyoncé’s SUPERPOWER as a love letter to BLACK RADICAL INSURGENCY: An open letter to white feminists who want to remind us that Beyoncé’s music is just “art”" will give him a coronary given his longstanding thesis that Beyoncé is an bleaching self-hating she-witch who is profoundly damaging to the black community?

I think that the assertion that the album is meant to be art and not a political treatise wasn't meant to be taken a dismissal of her work or to suggest that there were no political dimensions to it, but rather a plea not to use apparent contradictions as a way to dismiss the work as a whole. I didn't read anything in what Marcotte said that could be taken as arguing against the interpretation that Malaklou argues for, or that "forecloses" on that possibility.

Aside from that, it is interesting. I'll have to rewatch and see what I think with this interpretation in mind.

Touchdown

Banned
I wonder if this #BeyonceThinkPiece, "Reading Beyoncé’s SUPERPOWER as a love letter to BLACK RADICAL INSURGENCY: An open letter to white feminists who want to remind us that Beyoncé’s music is just “art”" will give him a coronary given his longstanding thesis that Beyoncé is an bleaching self-hating she-witch who is profoundly damaging to the black community?

I think that the assertion that the album is meant to be art and not a political treatise wasn't meant to be taken a dismissal of her work or to suggest that there were no political dimensions to it, but rather a plea not to use apparent contradictions as a way to dismiss the work as a whole. I didn't read anything in what Marcotte said that could be taken as arguing against the interpretation that Malaklou argues for, or that "forecloses" on that possibility.

Aside from that, it is interesting. I'll have to rewatch and see what I think with this interpretation in mind.

I think people read too much into things.

Cynosure

ibwghWilZeRGn6.gif

royalan

Umm...can someone explain to me why this article isn't ridiculous?

It seems like the author extracted a completely nonexistent racial argument (or dismissal of one) from someone else's opinion piece, and then used that to launch into a completely unrelated point about SUPERPOWER. I don't think think the original article was even attempting to say half the things this person claimed.

...and, for that matter, can someone explain to me what the fuck (white) feminism is? From where I'm standing, it sounds like yet another pseudo-category someone made up to make their work read as more expository than it actually is.

Sis is back Stanning my Avi!!

tumblr_mfmhxaItuf1qjtv36o1_250.gif

...and, for that matter, can someone explain to me what the fuck (white) feminism is? From where I'm standing, it sounds like yet another pseudo-category someone made up to make their work read as more expository than it actually is.

From what I've read so far. White women who try to push there beliefs on what feminism is is suppose to be to colored females. Basically telling us how we should live, what's right from wrong etc... It's kind of ridiculous.

Edit : And actually it is a really big issue within feminism from what I've read so far. I'm guessing there is a basic law in feminism that pretty much states women are suppose to be free to do whatever they want without control, etc. However, there is a Blurred lines in the beliefs between the different races.

Cynosure

<3 y'all

fnoKv.gif

the comment that got me banned was purely tongue in cheek and not a threat of any kind to the admin.
I now have to be extra careful. I dont know if my next ban will be my last
b9jj7.png

anyway, my stan self has been so blessed lately
-Legend X first top 5 lead billing single since Beautiful
-Bey slaying
-Broken Spearit flopping

LivLtOr.gif

royalan

<3 y'all

fnoKv.gif

the comment that got me banned was purely tongue in cheek and not a threat of any kind to the admin.
I now have to be extra careful. I dont know if my next ban will be my last
b9jj7.png

anyway, my stan self has been so blessed lately
-Legend X first top 5 lead billing single since Beautiful
-Bey slaying
-Broken Spearit flopping

LivLtOr.gif

SIS!!!

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF THE DO WHAT U WANT PERFORMANCE?!?!?!?

igseJbEiFgQpK.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Feminism as practiced by white people? Pretty easy to understand I think.

Yado

Baby put your arms around me tell me I'm a problem
Know I'm not the girl you thought you knew and that you wanted
Underneath the pretty face is something complicated
I come with a side of trouble but I know that's why you're staying

iisRjm2LSnpaY.gif

Mumei

Umm...can someone explain to me why this article isn't ridiculous?

It seems like the author extracted a completely nonexistent racial argument (or dismissal of one) from someone else's opinion piece, and then used that to launch into a completely unrelated point about SUPERPOWER. I don't think think the original article was even attempting to say half the things this person claimed.

I agree with you on the premise; I feel like she sort of spun it out of whole cloth, but the "white feminism" thing isn't something she just made up. It's (essentially) a criticism of the ways that mainstream feminism (and feminists), who are almost always white, have been guilty of ignoring black women's concerns, asking black women to think of themselves as women first in the spirit of solidarity (while refusing to extend that same solidarity to black women's racial struggle), of appropriating black feminists' work and presenting it as their own, of criticizing black women for "doing" feminism in ways that runs counter to their conception of what feminism is while not taking the time to understand why feminism for black women might work differently (see: Any of the "Michelle Obama is a feminist nightmare" responses), of alternately opposing intersectionality or using intersectionality as lip service to the issues of black women while not actually showing those issues equal concern, and so forth.

I don't think the labels are perfect, for what I hope are obvious reasons, but they are based in real conflicts.

One of the reasons why I love the performance is because of the message. It's a big F U to the media (and Perez) who has pitted them against each other since 2009. They've also been scrutinized for their weight and it's just awesome seeing them perform this song together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom