• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Let's see Bey send an album cut to #4 on Urban radio without even a drop of promo before we crown ha.

Loveeeeeee Song was a true slay. Not an ounce of promo, or one performance, and still clocked Urban, all the while Rih had another single clocking as well.

Coldplay - Midnight

Bon Iver-lite detritus. The part of the video starting at 3:05 made me die laughing.

Terrible.

Shit.

Quelle surprise.

iPVHApUH41Zch.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
that mouldplay song.

i guess when radiohead got too difficult to copy they just moved on to bon iver and james blake

i prefer it to their other recent stuff tho tbh

royalan

I know you check your PMs the PMs I send you every six months, but did you get the one I sent you about her? :)

Don't Rain On My Parade? Yes. I listened on the bus to work. *.*

I like Lea, but that rendition of DROMP was comically terribad. I was dying when I watched it. Over-enunciated, hitting every phrase like a damn sledgehammer. She just didn't interpret well. By comparison, Barbra sounds no less emotionally frantic in her rendition, but the singing is much smoother, she still flows into each line naturally.

And this was at the Tony Awards? Pretty much explain why nobody in that audience besides Beyonce looked impressed. I lost count of all the side-eyes.

3phemeral

Are you guys talking about this performance?

I was watching it and wondering why she was doing the whole thing acapella. That's when I realized that the right channel on my extended monitor doesn't work, so it's pretty much her vocals only. What a truly awkwardly hilarious performance to watch with no music.

Mumei

Don't Rain On My Parade? Yes. I listened on the bus to work. *.*

I like Lea, but that rendition of DROMP was comically terribad. I was dying when I watched it. Over-enunciated, hitting every phrase like a damn sledgehammer. She just didn't interpret well. By comparison, Barbra sounds no less emotionally frantic in her rendition, but the singing is much smoother, she still flows into each line naturally.

And this was at the Tony Awards? Pretty much explain why nobody in that audience besides Beyonce looked impressed. I lost count of all the side-eyes.

I knew you wouldn't miss that.

Because you pay close attention to Beyoncé, as a good stan should

And I'd agree that Babs' rendition is energetic, but I don't think she ever seems frenetic or like she's losing the plot. It always seems under control. Lea was just sort of a mess - interpretively, vocally, and facially.

I was watching it and wondering why she was doing the whole thing acapella. That's when I realized that the right channel on my extended monitor doesn't work, so it's pretty much her vocals only. What a truly awkwardly hilarious performance to watch with no music.

Yep! And the Barbra performance is this 1975 performance.

That performance is... wow.

I couldn't even last a minute. So awkward and over the top.

[edit]: God's new song for Divergent is out and is a rather euphoric bop.

Ellie Goulding - Beating Heart

3phemeral

I knew you wouldn't miss that.

Because you pay close attention to Beyoncé, as a good stan should

And I'd agree that Babs' rendition is energetic, but I don't think she ever seems frenetic or like she's losing the plot. It always seems under control. Lea was just sort of a mess - interpretively, vocally, and facially.

Yep! And the Barbra performance is this 1975 performance.

Yeah, I instantly looked up Babs' performance afterwards. I also looked up videos of her talking about her voice and I can't believe that what you said was true: She literally does not do any vocal warm up, sing in the shower, or practice in any capacity.

Mau ®

Coldplay JUST SHAT on your shit faves and their shit songs and their shit albums. As fucking expected.

Ya'll should be ACCUSTOMED to their ABSOLUTE SLAYAGE by now, but it seems necessary that they REMIND YA'LL just how much they annihilate your generic faves.

Mumei

Yeah, I instantly looked up Babs' performance afterwards. I also looked up videos of her talking about her voice and I can't believe that what you said was true: She literally does not do any vocal warm up, sing in the shower, or practice in any capacity.

I read about it in this article, myself.

IT seemed clear from her reaction, at once intrigued and a little amused, that Barbra Streisand had never been asked by an interviewer about her diaphragm.

But as an opera devotee and a longtime admirer of Ms. Streisand’s voice, I wanted to explore the inner workings, as she understood them, of her singing. For me her ability to shape a phrase with velvety legato and find the right expressive coloring for each note and each word is the epitome of cultured vocalism.

Did Ms. Streisand, like an opera singer, think incessantly about breathing deeply from the diaphragm, about using the diaphragm as a natural support for her voice?

“Never,” she said, sitting up straight on a couch in the living room of a friend’s Upper West Side apartment, looking elegant in a dark dress and lacy shoulder wrap. Everything about singing came to her naturally, she explained, adding, a little sheepishly, that she hardly ever does vocal exercises. She was giving a rare interview, in person, apparently curious to speak with a classical music critic about vocal technique.

“I’m terrible about warming up,” she said. “That’s just too boring to me.” Years ago Tony Bennett sent her a tape with vocal exercises on it. “I listened to it once,” she said. She does keep handy one tape with solfège vocal routines that a voice coach made for her. “It’s very simple,” she said. “But I find myself doing the exercises only in the car on the way to the recording session.” That is too last-minute to do much good, she added.

Whatever vocal power, finesse and richness she has was not the product of traditional study and analysis, she said.

It's especially fascinating because from what opera singers say about their habits, nearly all of them talk about doing scales every single day, without fail, and they all seem to believe that they would begin to see a deterioration rather quickly if they keep at it regularly.

I recall reading that Whitney was also a bit notorious about her failure to warm-up, though I can't remember where I read that (or if it was somewhere credible, so take it with a large grain of salt).

Yoshiya

Mau ®;102249809 said:
Ya'll should be ACCUSTOMED to their ABSOLUTE SLAYAGE by now, but it seems necessary that they REMIND YA'LL just how much they annihilate your generic faves.

self clock within a self clock

i can't imagine a fav more generic and insipid than coldplay and they did just expose exactly that

3phemeral

I read about it in this article, myself.

It's especially fascinating because from what opera singers say about their habits, nearly all of them talk about doing scales every single day, without fail, and they all seem to believe that they would begin to see a deterioration rather quickly if they keep at it regularly.

I recall reading that Whitney was also a bit notorious about her failure to warm-up, though I can't remember where I read that (or if it was somewhere credible, so take it with a large grain of salt).
It Whitney's case, I'm not sure if she just became disinterested in it all. I'll try to find it, but there was an interview of hers where she discusses a conversation she had with her mother and "singing like the greats" and she said "if you want to sing like the greats, you practice to be like the greats - or better." It was probably just a bad habit she developed later as her life unraveled.

Yoshiya

Mau ®;102252806 said:
Please. None of your faves could ever.

And thats a fact.

i was really into coldplay when i was eleven - they one of my first favourite bands!

fortunately some of us grow out of these things.

Touchdown

Banned
WHERE IS GAGA? WHERE IS KATY B? WHERE IS AGUILERA? WHERE IS SPEARS? WHERE IS DRAKE? WHERE IS RIHANNA? WHERE IS MADONNA?

MARIAH CAREY – You’re Mine (Eternal): 6.788 (+ 1.114)

"Baby, You're MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE *Whistle*************

ibu4ZURqVqVFj2.gif

Mau ®

There's also a video of the entire audience singing her part on TAKE CARE.

She probably felt good about it. Just like she probably felt good about being the youngest artist ever to sell out the STADE DE FRANCE. Or the fact that Diamonds was the biggest french hit in 2012 and Man Down spending 8 weeks at #1 in 2011, only to be followed by WFL for another good amount of weeks at #1 there.

Yep.I'm sure she felt good.

ibeBp6MGBekKVZ.gif

Mau ®

i was really into coldplay when i was eleven - they one of my first favourite bands!

fortunately some of us grow out of these things.

I don't know hew your faves are but they're probably horrible. Hence why you're lashing out at THE KINGS OF POP.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
why would we be pressed about that

bey's relationship has been going for OVER A DECADE and yet when she releases a song about it she still punches lessers out of the game

queen of love as well as pop, has the lessers seething as per

royalan

why would we be pressed about that

bey's relationship has been going for OVER A DECADE and yet when she releases a song about it she still punches lessers out of the game

queen of love as well as pop, has the lessers seething as per

I guess one song about it is all people can tolerate. Cuz lord knows when she released an entire album about it nobody cared.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I guess one song about it is all people can tolerate. Cuz lord knows when she released an entire album about it nobody cared.

lets see,

haunted,
drunk in love,
blow,
no angel,
partition,
jealous,
rocket,
mine,
xo,

nope apparently people are here for more than one song about it

including you since you think one of these songs is the best on the album

iKQLxgmNmyHmz.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
d he was talking about 4

d i know

d i was responding by pointing out that beyoncé slayed everybody and is full of songs about their relationship

iKQLxgmNmyHmz.gif

remember how rih rode controversy about the man who beat her to propel her album to a meagre #1 against like a rod stewart cover album and a month old taylor swift album, that was funny

Majmun

“I’m a Beyoncé believer,” said Drizzy, who paid homage to Bey on his track “Girls Love Beyoncé.” “I really believe strongly in her talent and her position in our generation. I think she’s one of the biggest stars ever, but especially for these girls right now. I feel like they need Beyoncé.”

Link

"I Need A Beyonce Type Of Woman"

On the type of woman he is looking for:
"I’m ready for a strong female counterpart to share all of these experiences with. I get to go a lot of places and do a lot of great things, I’d love to have somebody that can experience that with me."

[Angie: You want a Jada? Or a Bey?]

"Yeah, like a Beyonce."

[Angie: You got anybody in mind?]

"Nah, there's no one out here." (Poor Rih
iD0zcTFOg17qX.gif
)

Drake definitely respects and admires Beyoncé more.

Mau ®

Thats cute but all of Drake's albums after Take Care have Rih all over them.

He may "respect" Bey more, but we know who the real muse is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom