• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF'S ultimate $500/£400/$650 CAD budget gaming rigs + bonus high end configs!

ACE 1991

axiomnightmare said:
Just get a netbook and the gaming pc in this thread. You'll be able to save at least $500 and the gaming quality will likely be higher. Having a gaming laptop pretty much defeats its purpose, as the battery life will likely be quite atrocious. In addition, the mobile graphics cards cost significantly more (at least 2x) compared to their desktop counterparts. A netbook will be able to provide the mobility and the battery life that you need for college, and the desktop will satisfy your gaming needs.

Hmm... I'll be going off to college in a year, and I don't really feel like bring an entire desktop setup with me, especially since I'll also be bringing along an xbox 360 and PS3.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PopcornMegaphone said:
Question - Is it possible to build a cheap gaming PC with a good compact case? I want something to fit in my entertainment center. To minimize complainants from my wife, ideally it wouldn't look like a "fugly" PC.
Well the case would cost 1/3 of the rig :lol

Take your pick of the Antec's with PSU's or a Shuttle on newegg.

Ceebs

Heads up to Brain Stew, the PSU and RAM on the $550 US build seems to have gone back up in price if you wanted to adjust that build.

Dunlop

Firestorm said:
Home Premium 64-bit with Windows 7 Update. Although I would recommend getting Windows 7 RC1 instead if you're a student and using your student discount to grab Windows 7 once it's out.

Anyone had extensive experience with windows 7? I was going to pick it up until my aforementioned car problems (read:f-ing $450 bill).

Thanks to a buddy in sales I have a retail version of Vista Ultimate, but only 32 bit : (

Is it a huge perfomance increase?

Dunlop said:
Anyone had extensive experience with windows 7? I was going to pick it up until my aforementioned car problems (read:f-ing $450 bill).

Thanks to a buddy in sales I have a retail version of Vista Ultimate, but only 32 bit : (

Is it a huge perfomance increase?

A retail license is good for both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. You should be able to get a copy sent to you from Microsoft for the cost of shipping.

Dunlop

brain_stew said:
A retail license is good for both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. You should be able to get a copy sent to you from Microsoft for the cost of shipping.

Got all excited, pulled out the software and it is Windows Vista Ultimate (with SP1) Promotial Kit with Windows Live services.

I'll give MS a call when I receive the PC and see if they will give me a 64bit code.

thanks again all

beje

Banned
Hi, I have a question about graphics cards and didn't think it was worth a whole new thread for it.

I'm planning on buying a GTS250 512MB to upgrade my fried and broken-fan 8600GT and currently I'm between two options: XFX and Zotac. Price tag is almost the same for both so I really don't know which one I should pick.

Zotac comes with a bundled HDMI adaptor and its own software suite for overclocking as well as 3D Mark, and I have a question about it: it needs 8-pin power supply. Can I use the 6-pin from my PSU or I'd better use the 2 molex to 8 pin adaptor bundled?

Then the XFX is visually much nicer (I have a windowed case :$) and the brand has better recognision and reputation, but the package is practically barebones with little to zero added value aside from a paperback hanging for your doorknob and a component/Svideo cable adapter I doubt I'll ever use.

Aside from that both are the same, so which one?

Please, stick to the question and no, before you go apeshit, I don't need or want a GTX260. I have had enough fucktards already saying "lolololol buy a 260, 250 is teh crap" in other forums and I have neither enough PSU to run it alright (CoolBox Powerline 500W) nor 70 extra euro-bucks to waste over the already more expensive card for a 600 or 700 PSU which would result on spending more than twice the money I have for this.

Firestorm

I'd take XFX unless you plan on using the HDMI adapter. XFX warranties even if you overclock which is better than software to overclock.

Llyranor said:
Update for Firestorm:

The Samsung SH-S223F Black 22X DVD Writer SATA OEM seems to be disconnected
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=38115
And they're referring to the http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?tab=1&sku=41501
as a replacement. Any prob with that?

I'm also looking for a monitor: is this a good choice?
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=30424&vpn=W2242TQ-BF&manufacture=LG Electronics
This monitor is 16:9 if you prefer that, higher resolution, and slightly larger. Also has HDMI input.

Any SATA DVD Drive is basically a good replacement. Not really an important part imo.

Alright, I got my PS3 sold off (for a profit, I got a good deal on a used BC model when I purchased it :) ) and I'm getting ready to jump in on the PC gaming side.

The aim is for the $550 rig that brain_stew has in the OP currently. The thing is that I want to build up more funds by about September or so (I have plenty of cash, but I like to set strict budgets on gaming / electronics purchases so I don't go overboard) but that combo deal (CPU + GPU + Mobo) is just calling my name. I have to keep reminding myself that it's PC hardware and that it's going to do nothing but get cheaper and faster in the few months that I wait. I'm just crappy at waiting when I'm excited about something.

My couple of quick questions for the thread:

1. Most of the GPUs I see have DVI connection on the back, is there just some type of DVI to HDMI converter to use for these? For the first little while I'm probably going to have this hooked up to the TV full time and I want to make sure that I can connect.

2. Since I sold the PS3 (my BluRay player) and I'm going to have my PC hooked up to my TV does anyone have a recommendation for a solid mid-range BluRay player for my build?

3. How does sound usually work these days? Last time I built a PC, folks were still putting Sound Blaster cards in. I'd like to be able to take optical straight to my receiver, but I'm a little unsure if sound would be coming from the mobo or from the GPU over HDMI.

4. I know that it's always cheaper and better to wait as long as you can to buy PC hardware. But I wanted to ask if PC hardware on places like newegg see the same type of crazy sales that console games see around Black Friday or so. Just trying to plan out my purchasing correctly.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Abubakr

Neo Member
Alright, so I have about $300 now. Should I just wait 1-2 months and get $750 and order everything together? Or just grab stuff that goes on sale one by one? Canadian build, btw.

Firestorm

Abubakr said:
Alright, so I have about $300 now. Should I just wait 1-2 months and get $750 and order everything together? Or just grab stuff that goes on sale one by one? Canadian build, btw.
Wait. For sure, wait. These are the only good deals I see right now that might not be around again in 1 - 2 months:

Case: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=018460&cid=CS.664
PSU: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=016235&cid=PS.731

OK so this is going off that suggestion you posted way back for an Aus site Brain_Stew, just I've changed the GPU to a Radeon 4890 1gb. Is there anything out of the ordinary you can see? What performance can I expect? Crysis on High? Very High? I mainly want to be able to max out some of my older games like RTW, Medieval 2, Witcher etc.

68419908.jpg

Im not sure I need the CPU cooler, but I included incase I decide to OC at all later on. Is that possible with this CPU? (I assumed so because it was a Black edition)

EDIT: Is it worth it to spend a little extra and get the MA-790X-UD4 MB with the Phenom II X4 940 Black edition? It will end up costing about an extra $150 AU.

gragy10

Big thanks to brain_stew, Rur0ni, FireStorm, TheExodu5 and whole bunch of others for direct and indirect advice.
Spent the most nights this week on the sofa being dazzled by the likes of GRID and Crysis smooth and in 1080p.
Still have a few issues with W7x64 RC (no itunes compatability, crysis won't run full screen and a few other random crashes) but as soon as the retail version arrives and is stable the oc'ing can commence. As it is I've a mountain of back catalogue to get through, having not gone near PC gaming since Half Life 2 originally came out

Teknoman

Alright current PC:

s6nf46.jpg

Thinking about upgrading to a better video card, but not sure if I should go for Geforce or Radeon this time around. Any suggestions on a card that would show a decent boost as to what I have now? Thinking im fine for awhile processor wise. Not trying to overclock or anything though.

Nothing too expensive either... maybe around $250 or so?

Firestorm

Teknoman said:
Alright current PC:

s6nf46.jpg

Thinking about upgrading to a better video card, but not sure if I should go for Geforce or Radeon this time around. Any suggestions on a card that would show a decent boost as to what I have now? Thinking im fine for awhile processor wise. Not trying to overclock or anything though.

$250 is more than enough for a video card these days:

Sapphire: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102848
XFX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

GTX 275
XFX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150387

Check out some benchmarks for games you're interested and see what does better I guess =) I went with the GTX 275 because I was going for a Mac-friendly build and I was interested in PhysX + CUDA.

pseudocaesar said:
OK so this is going off that suggestion you posted way back for an Aus site Brain_Stew, just I've changed the GPU to a Radeon 4890 1gb. Is there anything out of the ordinary you can see? What performance can I expect? Crysis on High? Very High? I mainly want to be able to max out some of my older games like RTW, Medieval 2, Witcher etc.

68419908.jpg

Im not sure I need the CPU cooler, but I included incase I decide to OC at all later on. Is that possible with this CPU? (I assumed so because it was a Black edition)

EDIT: Is it worth it to spend a little extra and get the MA-790X-UD4 MB with the Phenom II X4 940 Black edition? It will end up costing about an extra $150 AU.

That upgrade is definitely a good use of funds, yes. Check its a DDR2 motherboard ofcourse.

Adding an aftermarket CPU cooler is always a great idea and both those CPUs are great clockers, its debatable whether you need to spend that much on one though. You can get a very decent upgrade over stock for very little these days.

ACE 1991

Okay, so I've decided that I'll probably drop $500 on a notebook to use for surfing the web and for school work, and then spend around $1,000 on a desktop to use for gaming and for school when in my dorm. (This is all for college, of course.) Do you guys think it pays to wait on the laptop, or am I safe in getting it in a few months? I realize that I should wait as long as possible on the desktop, since it'll be way more high-end than the notebook.

Teknoman

Firestorm said:
$250 is more than enough for a video card these days:

Sapphire: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102848
XFX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

GTX 275
XFX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150387

Check out some benchmarks for games you're interested and see what does better I guess =) I went with the GTX 275 because I was going for a Mac-friendly build and I was interested in PhysX + CUDA.

Thanks Firestorm :D

brain_stew said:
That upgrade is definitely a good use of funds, yes. Check its a DDR2 motherboard ofcourse.

Adding an aftermarket CPU cooler is always a great idea and both those CPUs are great clockers, its debatable whether you need to spend that much on one though. You can get a very decent upgrade over stock for very little these days.

OK cool so I decided to go with the upgraded MB and CPU, just gotta wait til next thursday and i'l be finallllllly able to afford it. I wouldn't be too much of a pain to ask if you could recommend a CPU cooler for me from this list?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_23_311

I am getting a Gigabyte Ga-MA790x-UD4P Mobo, with the Phenom II X4 940 Black.

Dunlop

Received my PC last night.

The CD-key for my 32bit Vista didn't work on the 64bit install disk my buddy gave me. I called MS and they gave me a valid key

System looks great, my only complaint so far would be on the case, the front USB/audio jacks have kind of a give to them when you plug anything in. If I were to push hard it feels like I would break the case.

It just occured to me that I don't really have a game to test this on (although I received a free Terminator Salvation download code...yay!!). I reinstalled Warhammer Online, but that is not going to push any system.

Now for the painful task of transferring all my stuff

Thanks again Firestorm.

on a almost unrelated sidenote..Why the F**** doesn't my dell PC have a PS2 connection on the back!?!?!?!?I have like 5 spare keyboards,none of them USB

Guess I'll "have" to go buy a gaming KB now :D

Dunlop said:
Received my PC last night.

The CD-key for my 32bit Vista didn't work on the 64bit install disk my buddy gave me. I called MS and they gave me a valid key

System looks great, my only complaint so far would be on the case, the front USB/audio jacks have kind of a give to them when you plug anything in. If I were to push hard it feels like I would break the case.

It just occured to me that I don't really have a game to test this on (although I received a free Terminator Salvation download code...yay!!). I reinstalled Warhammer Online, but that is not going to push any system.

Now for the painful task of transferring all my stuff

Thanks again Firestorm.

on a almost unrelated sidenote..Why the F**** doesn't my dell PC have a PS2 connection on the back!?!?!?!?I have like 5 spare keyboards,none of them USB

Guess I'll "have" to go buy a gaming KB now :D

Or you could buy a cheap PS2/USB adapter.

Dunlop

DeaconKnowledge said:
Or you could buy a cheap PS2/USB adapter.

I'm sure I have one(or 30) somewhere, it was just a carry over bitching from me last night when I unplugged the PC's to swap them. I had to keep switching the same keyboard between the PC's.

Now that I can enter the PC gaming world after a long time a way, I guess I'll have to get a steam account :D I also see that Crysis is like $30 so I guess I'll start there to really see what this system can do

Daigoro

ok, ive got a mock up of my build here. id appreciate if brain_stew and anyone else interested would take a look.

Case: Cooler Master 690

PSU: OCZ 500W Modular 80+

Motherboard (MSI 790X Crossfire) + Processor (Phenom ii X4 945 3ghz) + GPU (MSI 4890 1GB OC edition) Combo

RAM: Mushkin DDR2 800

= $662.93

i picked a slightly nicer case and changed the RAM to Mushkin (about the same price, good reviews, and ive had good experiences in the past with them), and i need a new OS. i already have several HDD's and DVD drives, monitor, etc. so i should be set. might upgrade to a bigger faster HDD at some point.

ill probably be placing the order next Monday. thanks for looking! (and thanks for the great thread brain_stew)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Daigoro said:
ok, ive got a mock up of my build here. id appreciate if brain_stew and anyone else interested would take a look.

Case: Cooler Master 690

PSU: OCZ 500W Modular 80+

Motherboard (MSI 790X Crossfire) + Processor (Phenom ii X4 945 3ghz) + GPU (MSI 4890 1GB OC edition) Combo

RAM: Mushkin DDR2 800

= $662.93

i picked a slightly nicer case and changed the RAM to Mushkin (about the same price, good reviews, and ive had good experiences in the past with them), and i need a new OS. i already have several HDD's and DVD drives, monitor, etc. so i should be set. might upgrade to a bigger faster HDD at some point.

ill probably be placing the order next Monday. thanks for looking! (and thanks for the great thread brain_stew)
Looks good, maybe not if you plan to overclock, but that CPU should be solid for a while, plus if the mobo turns out to be trash you can say you got it for free :lol

Daigoro

Hazaro said:
Looks good, maybe not if you plan to overclock, but that CPU should be solid for a while, plus if the mobo turns out to be trash you can say you got it for free :lol

probably wont overclock much if any. ive never really done it before.

why, is the mobo espceially cheapo? i only picked it because its part of the combo. i already have a relativly new 4670, so i was thinking of maybe just getting a new CPU and mobo and sticking with that, but i have some extra cash and the new GPU upgrade was looking good.

any advice/suggestions? thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Daigoro said:
probably wont overclock much if any. ive never really done it before.

why, is the mobo espceially cheapo? i only picked it because its part of the combo. i already have a relativly new 4670, so i was thinking of maybe just getting a new CPU and mobo and sticking with that, but i have some extra cash and the new GPU upgrade was looking good.

any advice/suggestions? thanks.
There's another combo with a better motherboard for $40 more, but it uses DDR3 which will up the cost a bit. Go to the 945, then hit view all combo deals.

That's all. Reviews on the included one are so-so. I'd upgrade if I were buying it DDR3 isn't much more expensive ($10-15).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Teknoman said:
Just upgraded to 4GB ram and as far as video cards, decided to go with:

XFX 4890: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

Says weekend special, but I know it was that price on Thursday as well. Think it'll go back up to 249.99, or will it pretty much be a reoccuring sale?

I was going to go for one of the ATI cards but the physics additions in the Batman game is pulling my towards the GTX260. Have you seen the difference the PhysX additions makes. Looks quite nice.

Distance_Runner

Neo Member
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if anyone would be able to help me, but I've read some of this thread, and need some advice. I want to build my own rig for gaming, and for school. I'd need to be able to run maya, as well as a final cut pro. My question is will my desktop vary in areas drastically based off my desire to create 3D models.

GuessWho

so plannign on upgrading my computer but don't want to upgrade my vid card (8800gt) I just need CPU/mobo/ram. What is the best "and cheapest" combo to max out my vid card. Please I must know!!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Distance_Runner said:
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if anyone would be able to help me, but I've read some of this thread, and need some advice. I want to build my own rig for gaming, and for school. I'd need to be able to run maya, as well as a final cut pro. My question is will my desktop vary in areas drastically based off my desire to create 3D models.
Not much, desktop graphics to my knowledge are pretty comparable (although not up to) to those $500 model cards or what are they now. However it doesn't really work having those used for games.

Probably should look around or ask a different forum.
GuessWho said:
so plannign on upgrading my computer but don't want to upgrade my vid card (8800gt) I just need CPU/mobo/ram. What is the best "and cheapest" combo to max out my vid card. Please I must know!!
What are your other components? Screen resolution? Games you are playing?

KAL2006

Banned
OK how updated is the UK prices on the original post. Im gonna make a purchase in 2 weeks. I am willing to spend £450, also note (Im gonna use my 32" 1080p TV as a monitor)

LQX

Teknoman said:
Alright current PC:

s6nf46.jpg

I would also say look into maybe getting a GTX260 and 2 more gigs of ram.

KAL2006 said:
OK how updated is the UK prices on the original post. Im gonna make a purchase in 2 weeks. I am willing to spend £450, also note (Im gonna use my 32" 1080p TV as a monitor)

The parts are still what I'd pick for a £400 rig really, though the GPU is £10 cheaper now which is always nice.

Since you've an extra £50 to play with, I'd upgrade the CPU to this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159071

And GPU to this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167969

I kinda of want to pick up a brand new monitor and while the ASUS one on the front page looks tempting, my videocard (4850) isn't optimal to drive all games at 1080p. Do you have an alternative monitor at that 22-24 inch range at 1680x1050?

Firestorm

Distance_Runner said:
Hey Guys,

Your processor matters more than your GPU in that case I believe. You could try going with nVidia as they seem to be pushing CUDA on 3D and Video companies. However, Final Cut Pro is a Mac only program (one of the reasons I decided on a hackintosh) so are you sure you're going with a PC? You'll either need to make a Hackintosh or go with something like Adobe Premier instead of Final Cut Pro in that case. Budget?

neoism

Sup guys, well, I have some questions and, I'm sure they've been asked before in this thread, but I have the next 3 days off, so I'm going to read this whole thread( not sure if that will help or not). First brain_stew and Firestorm you 2 seem to know your shit, what PC's do you have?
I basically want the best you can get ( like everyone else) I'm really getting this for Diablo 3:lol :lol 2 years to early, but I also want to get Crysis of course! This PC is shit, got it in 05 for 750, I got totally robbed,
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PAVILIONA809RS
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
System Model PW673AA-ABA a809rs
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2933 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.26, 5/9/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name PAVILIONA809RS\HP_Owner
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 185.30 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.39 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

but it was my first PC that was mine! I'm looking to spend $700, if I have to as much as $900. I want this PC to last, and be able to play PC games for next 5 years, if that's possible to prepare for! I'm not really a PC gamer at all, but it's time! I'm still not sure if I should build it myself, I'm sure it's easy, I looked at some of those video's and it does seem easy, but I'm bound to fuck up all those wires. Also I don't need a monitor, I've been using my 42" Vizio HDTV 720p, not sure if that would change any decision for a graphics card!Soo, where's the best place to shop at, also do they assemble them for a low price anywhere! Again I'm sure this has been asked, and I'll fill dumb for asking after I read the thread...

gragy10

For any UK gaffer's reimmersing themselves in PC gaming goodness get to a CEX store asap. So many back catalogue bargains it's ridiculous. HL2 original release was teh last time i bought a new pc game before this week, so bagging COH, Deus Ex; Invisible Wars and Grim Fandango for less than a tenner total was pretty sweet (shame DE:IW and W7 x64 don't get along)

Top Bottom