• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just got an update for my Rogers S6E, no idea what's new or has been fixed. It's still on 5.0.1.

Got a question here, I just came from sony xperia z to the s6 edge. How do you guys manage to import photos and videos to your computer?

With the sony software, I was able to not only backup my photos in separate folders by day, but also my other media from whatsapp etc... I tried using the sony software for the samsung, but it can't seem to detect the date of the photos to make it able to separate into different dates, along with scanning for ALL pictures on the phone, even icons. Does samsung have something similar like a media manager?

I also tried using ACDSEE, but that didn't work too well with android system in general because of some weird settings of the android system itself. I used it with my iphone and it was perfect. But with android it also scans EVERYTHING and same like the sony program.

I'm looking for something that I can just plug it in and it'll backup my photos by date and able to auto create it for me on the pc.

I'm running windows 8.1. Please help. Thanks in advance!

anyone?

NH Apache

Banned
I have an S6.

My dad back in New England finally had his razr max die. He asked me what the best phone was and I told him what I had.

He calls me back 15 minutes later from the VZW store saying the guy keeps trying to talk him out of getting it because of the "horrible battery life and terrible software." The dude kept pushing IOS even though my pops is heavily invested in the Google store and explicitly told him he wanted Android (He uses his phone for backup navigation when sailing. There's some surprisingly good apps.)

Frustrating that he has to overcome obstacles like idiots with an agenda when he knows what he wants.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Im doing the switch from an iPhone 5s to a S6 edge this saturday, I have been using an iphone since 2008, so Im a little nervous to take the jump.

Chanser

I have an S6.

My dad back in New England finally had his razr max die. He asked me what the best phone was and I told him what I had.

He calls me back 15 minutes later from the VZW store saying the guy keeps trying to talk him out of getting it because of the "horrible battery life and terrible software." The dude kept pushing IOS even though my pops is heavily invested in the Google store and explicitly told him he wanted Android (He uses his phone for backup navigation when sailing. There's some surprisingly good apps.)

Frustrating that he has to overcome obstacles like idiots with an agenda when he knows what he wants.

Does he need a rugged phone? S6 Active got announced.

Zalusithix

I have an S6.

It would be one thing if he was trying to be swayed to another Android phone, but to an iPhone? Why the hell would a rep try and convert somebody already in a given ecosystem. That's just a recipe for disaster. If they're not complaining, don't try and convert them.

Also, sailing involves water... Not sure the S6 is the best for that task.

NH Apache

Banned
Does he need a rugged phone? S6 Active got announced.

It would be one thing if he was trying to be swayed to another Android phone, but to an iPhone? Why the hell would a rep try and convert somebody already in a given ecosystem. That's just a recipe for disaster. If they're not complaining, don't try and convert them.

Also, sailing involves water... Not sure the S6 is the best for that task.

He's VZW and I thought the active was ATT only? I suggested the Z3v because of the waterproofing but he said that his maxx never had problems. He has a waterproof pouch for it when on board.

Anyways, I told him to try the phone for the 14-15 day trial period and see if he likes it.

In other news, I am continually blown away by this camera.

20150606_1453184wskg.jpg

20150607_112124urswd.jpg

20150603_195441jps1d.jpg

20150531_123741glszu.jpg

20150522_162330r3sv5.jpg

He's VZW and I thought the active was ATT only? I suggested the Z3v because of the waterproofing but he said that his maxx never had problems. He has a waterproof pouch for it when on board.

Anyways, I told him to try the phone for the 14-15 day trial period and see if he likes it.

I'd get another rep that wants a sale and willing to help him.

So today I learned that for some reason on Samsung devices, when you have earphones in, notifications and some phone sounds still come from your phone speaker. This is really strange for me coming from iPhone. Why would that be a thing? Shouldn't all phone sounds come from the earphones when they're plugged in? Why would I want music and some sounds going to the earphones but my notification sounds coming from the speaker?

Apparently it's been an issue for ages. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to be like that and it's weird that I'd have to download an app to "fix" it.

MercuryLS

Banned
This thing is really pissing me off, so many random slowdowns and reloads. Samsung has to sort this shit out cause it's driving me crazy.

I'm kinda regretting switching from the iPhone...sigh.

So today I learned that for some reason on Samsung devices, when you have earphones in, notifications and some phone sounds still come from your phone speaker. This is really strange for me coming from iPhone. Why would that be a thing? Shouldn't all phone sounds come from the earphones when they're plugged in? Why would I want music and some sounds going to the earphones but my notification sounds coming from the speaker?

Apparently it's been an issue for ages. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to be like that and it's weird that I'd have to download an app to "fix" it.

Yeah it was like that on my S3 as well so it didn't surprise me too much when I got my S6 and the issue was still there.

The only reason I can think of as to why it's like that is so that you can still hear notifications if you have earphones plugged in and aren't wearing them.

But who would do that in the first place?

manfestival

This thing is really pissing me off, so many random slowdowns and reloads. Samsung has to sort this shit out cause it's driving me crazy.

I'm kinda regretting switching from the iPhone...sigh.

not sure what you are coming across. I have noticed a few but only a few

MercuryLS

Banned
not sure what you are coming across. I have noticed a few but only a few

It happens often for me, lots of delays, icon reflows, keyboard lag, constant tab reloads from just having 1-2 tabs open and switching to another app for a minute. It's pretty bad. Rebooting the device doesn't really seem to help all that much.

clav

Finally had a chance to play with the S6 and S6 Edge.

Definitely would pick the regular S6 over the Edge if I had to make a choice.

Handling the S6 Edge is like picking up a credit card. Since the edge's sides are thinner, you can't really cradle it like you can on a Lumia 830, iPhone 6, and the S6 regular.

GSG Flash

It happens often for me, lots of delays, icon reflows, keyboard lag, constant tab reloads from just having 1-2 tabs open and switching to another app for a minute. It's pretty bad. Rebooting the device doesn't really seem to help all that much.

Never had a keyboard lag(I use SwiftKey, which is actually pretty CPU heavy).

The other stuff is a side effect of Lollipop's memory management. To be honest though, it's no more or less annoying than the lag you sometimes get when hit the home button on the iPhone after using a resource heavy app. I think you're being a tad bit picky, it's nowhere near "pretty bad".

Maybe subconsciously you want to go back to the iPhone :p

If you're unhappy with the phone, the iPhone is probably the best for you(not saying this as a negative).

Chanser

Finally had a chance to play with the S6 and S6 Edge.

Definitely would pick the regular S6 over the Edge if I had to make a choice.

Handling the S6 Edge is like picking up a credit card. Since the edge's sides are thinner, you can't really cradle it like you can on a Lumia 830, iPhone 6, and the S6 regular.

Buy a case for S6 Edge.

get SoundAbout

GSG Flash

Why do people make build quality such a big deal if people are going to cover their phones in plastic cases?

I agree

I got a flip wallet case for free for my S6E, had it on for 5 mins before I took it off. The case actually looks nice, but the naked phone looks much nicer :)

MercuryLS

Banned
Never had a keyboard lag(I use SwiftKey, which is actually pretty CPU heavy).

The other stuff is a side effect of Lollipop's memory management. To be honest though, it's no more or less annoying than the lag you sometimes get when hit the home button on the iPhone after using a resource heavy app. I think you're being a tad bit picky, it's nowhere near "pretty bad".

Maybe subconsciously you want to go back to the iPhone :p

If you're unhappy with the phone, the iPhone is probably the best for you(not saying this as a negative).

iPhone has its own issues with reloads too thanks to the anemic 1gb of ram, but at least the performance is very predictably smooth. I personally don't like the iPhone 6, it's a weak upgrade from the 5S and the industrial design is just ugly. If I were to go back it would be to the 5S or some future iPhone 7.

The GS6E just needs some software upgrades, the hardware is obviously great but the software isn't up to par (a lot of this falls on Google's messed up Lollipop OS).

Got a question here, I just came from sony xperia z to the s6 edge. How do you guys manage to import photos and videos to your computer?

With the sony software, I was able to not only backup my photos in separate folders by day, but also my other media from whatsapp etc... I tried using the sony software for the samsung, but it can't seem to detect the date of the photos to make it able to separate into different dates, along with scanning for ALL pictures on the phone, even icons. Does samsung have something similar like a media manager?

I also tried using ACDSEE, but that didn't work too well with android system in general because of some weird settings of the android system itself. I used it with my iphone and it was perfect. But with android it also scans EVERYTHING and same like the sony program.

I'm looking for something that I can just plug it in and it'll backup my photos by date and able to auto create it for me on the pc.

I'm running windows 8.1. Please help. Thanks in advance!

I've tried their "smart switch" and it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever used. I'm pretty frustrated about the whole thing. Seems like nobody organize or transfer their photos here.

DJKhaled

has there been any cyanogenmod news? I need to get rid of this bloatware on the phone, for a phone with specs this great it makes me sad that 70% of the ram is used at all times.

I've been looking for a new phone and really like the emerald green edge but WTF at it costing $800+ everywhere I look? Is it ever going to come down in price?

sun-drop

Google photos seems to handle syncing quite well, just go to device folders and you can sync up WhatsApp etc...

PS I love the little touches Samsung put into their os, like how when I go to pxt someone my most recent photo is there highlighted ahead of gallery options etc. And the private mode is well implemented too

Carnby

if it makes you feel any better, most of the competition released this year runs noticeably hotter.

I noticed it only gets hot when I'm playing games are downloading. That's fine by me.

A little back story, this is my first modern smart phone. I've had Virgin Mobile smart phones since 2005. Now my new job requires a reliable phone and they areally giving me 60 dollars a month towardsince my bill. Having a modern smart phone after 10 years of shit is indescribable. Every time I touch it I feel like I'm playing with silk and butter. It's so slick and smooth.

Google photos seems to handle syncing quite well, just go to device folders and you can sync up WhatsApp etc...

PS I love the little touches Samsung put into their os, like how when I go to pxt someone my most recent photo is there highlighted ahead of gallery options etc. And the private mode is well implemented too

Thank you for your reply. I'll give that a shot and see how that goes.

Is anyone else experiencing very low volume output even in Maximum volume in terms of aux input for music when plug it in to any device? (car, stereo, sound system etc)

The problem is, is that the maximum volume on my Samsung galaxy S6 is still very low for me? ...this is coming from a previous iPhone user, to which I simply had no problem with. When I plug the S6 in my car in full volume, it is half of the volume being outputted compared to my iPhone. Is this a bug/glitch or a deliberate software design? Is there any known fixes or up coming patches in the update? Since it keeps fucking updating all my apps every day anyways.

I'm just mad because I like to blast my music in my car in full volume since I like to listen to Rap and Bangers. However, the S6 is simply restricting me from enjoying them.

....and also WHY IS THERE A WARNING MESSAGE TELLING ME ABOUT THE DANGERS OF PUTTING MY MUSIC IN FULL FUCKING VOLUME?!! It is just downright stupid, retarded and dangerous when i'm driving trying to turn up the volume of my music
I know that fiddling with my phone while driving is already dangerous in itself but you get my point.

KevinRo

Is anyone else experiencing very low volume output even in Maximum volume in terms of aux input for music when plug it in to any device? (car, stereo, sound system etc)

The problem is, is that the maximum volume on my Samsung galaxy S6 is still very low for me? ...this is coming from a previous iPhone user, to which I simply had no problem with. When I plug the S6 in my car in full volume, it is half of the volume being outputted compared to my iPhone. Is this a bug/glitch or a deliberate software design? Is there any known fixes or up coming patches in the update? Since it keeps fucking updating all my apps every day anyways.

I'm just mad because I like to blast my music in my car in full volume since I like to listen to Rap and Bangers. However, the S6 is simply restricting me from enjoying them.

....and also WHY IS THERE A WARNING MESSAGE TELLING ME ABOUT THE DANGERS OF PUTTING MY MUSIC IN FULL FUCKING VOLUME?!! It is just downright stupid, retarded and dangerous when i'm driving trying to turn up the volume of my music
I know that fiddling with my phone while driving is already dangerous in itself but you get my point.

Because someone sued..

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
A little back story, this is my first modern smart phone. I've had Virgin Mobile smart phones since 2005. Now my new job requires a reliable phone and they areally giving me 60 dollars a month towardsince my bill. Having a modern smart phone after 10 years of shit is indescribable. Every time I touch it I feel like I'm playing with silk and butter. It's so slick and smooth.

Wait... you went from a dumbphone to an s6? Oh wow!!!

my dog is never still so I don't have sweet doggie pics

to stop people who go deaf then sue.

as for the other issue, dunno. how did you hook up to the car? BT? 3.5mm? USB?

Why do people make build quality such a big deal if people are going to cover their phones in plastic cases?

Even if you opt for a case, you might not always have it on, some people take them off when at home and away from concrete/where they generally move less.

Better build quality also simply looks nicer, and phones are all the same prices nowadays. If I'm spending hundreds, give me quality, don't give me slippery plastic like the S4.

I want to go caseless for my iPhone 6+, but it's too thin and slippery and the edges are too round. It's almost impossible to hold, I'm forced to use a case :(

cajunator

Banned
I just got a Galaxy S6 after my S4 started having problems (glitches and a broken side power button) but Im really enjoying the S6 so far. Particularly the fun camera settings.
It seems to be more stable with the increased power, although I miss the removable back case and SD card slot and some head scratching OS redesigning like the flashlight app being moved to quick launch menu and some other weird quirks. Overall though Im happy to have a phone that works again.
Dont ever try to sell me on iphone because Im never going back.

sun-drop

my sena heritage ultraslim pouch for the edge arrived today, sexy as hell ... and a perfect fit. it's been touch and go with sena in the past, but they have this dead on this time

way nicer than the ultraslim i got off them for the S4

only downside is no holes for the speaker, but meh, can still hear alerts. and feels awesome in hand.

I just got a Galaxy S6 after my S4 started having problems (glitches and a broken side power button) but Im really enjoying the S6 so far. Particularly the fun camera settings.
It seems to be more stable with the increased power, although I miss the removable back case and SD card slot and some head scratching OS redesigning like the flashlight app being moved to quick launch menu and some other weird quirks. Overall though Im happy to have a phone that works again.
Dont ever try to sell me on iphone because Im never going back.

The flashlight going into the quick toggles is a Lollipop thing.

Not a fan of Samsung nor I ever bought one of their phones but the S6 somehow seemed to change that mindset of mine.

I ended up getting the S6 for my mom in India, she just broke her current phone couple of days ago. Gorgeous devices and ice been playing with it for awhile with the settings and launchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom