• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
That's the best part.. hehe. Makes it feel like it's ridiculously thin.

Way too paranoid about dropping it, I've had my note 2 with a cracked screen for like 2 years now ha. I was just setting it up for my dad today and I got to say I was pretty worried handling it. Such awesome tech.

I haven't had a single restart. A few app crashes here and there, but no restarts. You are probably correct in thinking you have a bad unit.

20 times in less than a week? Seeing as how I don't believe you can normally install anything on the phone could cause a hard crash, then yeah, I'd say that's about as defective as you can get. I haven't had a single random restart since I received it at launch.

My Mother's first GS6 Edge constantly rebooted starting on the Friday after she got it... IIRC she got it on Tuesday that week. By Sunday when I was checking it out for her, it was rebooting fast enough that I couldn't even get into the service menus while on the phone with T-Mobile tech support. They sent out a replacement the next day and she says it's working great.

TLDR: sounds defective.

Yeah, I know the number sounds crazy but I literally have a paper with the times and the exact action that took place when it restarted. I barely downloaded all the apps on this phone due to this issue. I woke up this morning just to look at the time and immediately as I turned on the screen, boom, restart. So yeah, I think it's completely a defective unit.

Have you tried a factory reset?

yup, factory and going into safe mode to reboot and it still gives me this issue. I talked to the t-mobile rep who said it was safer to go into a store and get it exchanged for a new one since i'm still within the 14 day period. He didn't want to give me a refurbished model as I just got this phone and not even for a full week.

brerwolfe

Does anyone know if there's a way to get tabs to work on the S6 stock browser the way they did on the S3? I really liked that I could open tabs without being forced off the current page I'm viewing. If there's no way to do this with the stock browser, is there another browser that would meet my desire?
Open your chrome browser, tap the three doors in the top right, then go Settings>merge tabs and apps>off.

Is that what you were talking about?

sun-drop

brought mine on sunday .. soooo glad i went for the edge over the normal S6 .. coming off a S4 this thing just feels like it's worth the $ and looks it. might be shallow but i kinda wanted to feel like i was getting something new for my cash ..the S4 imo is still a dam good looking phone.

the S6 software needs to mature though, a few quirks that bug me..

the IR remote app .. is kinda ulgy as fuck, compared to how awesome it is on the S4 .. i mean you can even minimise it in the notification drop down on the s6 ..the S4 let you "hide" it ...

and i guess this is more a issue with the facebook app ..but wtf .. where did the option to sync calendar go? contacts only now on lollipop ? .. any ways to get around this .. maybe directly via google calendar website?

OctoMan

Banned
Does anyone know if ever/when price cuts come on the phone? Particular looking at the edge on contract verizon.

sun-drop

they have to be stock limited still on the edge ... i was only able to get the 64GB one here last week .. been waiting since launch

Hopefully someone can help with this.

I'm trying to copy all my photos and videos over to my new phone. All the photos show up in chronological order in the Gallery app, but all the videos show up as being taken today. Is there an easy or even tedious way to fix this so they show up in their proper chronological order?

So I got a message on my phone this morning that the fingerprint unlock was not available and I had to use my backup password. I tried a couple of things with no luck and was given a chance to login with my Google password. I know this one for certain, however, it wouldn't allow it and it forced a factory reset.

:(

Hopefully someone can help with this.

I'm trying to copy all my photos and videos over to my new phone. All the photos show up in chronological order in the Gallery app, but all the videos show up as being taken today. Is there an easy or even tedious way to fix this so they show up in their proper chronological order?

What is your old phone and what method are you using to transfer them across?

What is your old phone and what method are you using to transfer them across?

I'm coming from an HTC One M7. I had a backup mirror of the folders on my laptop, so I just copied them over from my laptop. It was easy to do but might not have been the best way I guess?

I'm coming from an HTC One M7. I had a backup mirror of the folders on my laptop, so I just copied them over from my laptop. It was easy to do but might not have been the best way I guess?

I've just jumped from iOS to Android for the first time ever so I've been dealing with switching files to my S6 for the past two days. I know it might be harder for me coming from iOS but an app I used was Samsung Smart Switch:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.easyMover

http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

It has an option to switch from Android to Android. The iOS version was simple and perfect for the most part. It has options to move everything and it ported all of my images / videos / call logs / messages in chronological order without any issues (besides my iPhone notes but that's a long story).

Maybe it can help you. It's free, really simple and has options to do it from your PC via backup or over wifi between phones.

I've just jumped from iOS to Android for the first time ever so I've been dealing with switching files to my S6 for the past two days. I know it might be harder for me coming from iOS but an app I used was Samsung Smart Switch:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.easyMover

http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

It has an option to switch from Android to Android. The iOS version was simple and perfect for the most part. It has options to move everything and it ported all of my images / videos / call logs / messages in chronological order without any issues (besides my iPhone notes but that's a long story).

Maybe it can help you. It's free, really simple and has options to do it from your PC via backup or over wifi between phones.

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip! This is my first time migrating from one Android phone to another.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I swapped my original Edge for a new one yesterday. The old one had scratches and other cosmetic defects(bubbles) out of the box and I opened a ticket to get it replaced the week the phone was launched, it took this long for them to finally get a replacement.

The new one is perfect, no defects whatsoever :)

Only negative is that my old one had a Sony camera sensor, but my new one has a Samsung sensor :(

That's weird, 64GB Edge has been available on Amazon and Best Buy readily available.

64 and 128GB ones are fairly easy to find, but the 32GB ones are almost impossible to get a hold of in some places.

Even yesterday when I went to pick up my replacement, they had to turn someone away because they didn't have a 32GB.

I swapped my original Edge for a new one yesterday. The old one had scratches and other cosmetic defects(bubbles) out of the box and I opened a ticket to get it replaced the week the phone was launched, it took this long for them to finally get a replacement.

Only negative is that my old one had a Sony camera sensor, but my new one has a Samsung sensor :(

Since you've used both, how are you finding the quality difference between the Sony and Samsung sensor? I was disappointed mine came with a Samsung sensor, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth swapping to see if I can get a Sony one.

64 and 128GB ones are fairly easy to find, but the 32GB ones are almost impossible to get a hold of in some places.

Even yesterday when I went to pick up my replacement, they had to turn someone away because they didn't have a 32GB.

I just found this surprising since if you go on Amazon right now, they have the 32GB version for AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon in all colors except for Gold on Verizon.

sun-drop

so i did some digging and i guess the likes of Sbeam has been replaced by the "Quick Connect " option ... i mean it's all wifi direct but a shame imo sammy felt pressured enough to drop what was one of the main features of previous galaxy phones that gave them a bit oif a difference .. i mean at the end of the day .. it saved people actually going through the wifi direct pairing procedure ..

http://www.androidcentral.com/what-samsung-quick-connect-galaxy-s6

meanwhile..the simple sharing/ enhanced messaging is a interetsing addition

http://thedroidguy.com/2015/04/sams...ls-guides-faqs-how-tos-and-tips-part-5-105106

i mean ..there are several aspects to it .. but basically you can send large files, up to 1GB , and upto 2 Gb a day .. to other S6 users .. using sammy servers as a intermediate .. thus you are allowing them to be the go-bewtten with yr messages, but if you simply tunr it on when needed .. seems pretty cool to me. just an simple alternative to the likes of mega and drop box i guess. the files get auto deleted off the samsung servers after a few hours automatically .

GSG Flash

Since you've used both, how are you finding the quality difference between the Sony and Samsung sensor? I was disappointed mine came with a Samsung sensor, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth swapping to see if I can get a Sony one.

Both sensors are pretty similar.

This

I've taken a few pics with the new one, performance and quality of both is identical to me.

I'm guessing only the most anal of photographers will find a difference.

I just found this surprising since if you go on Amazon right now, they have the 32GB version for AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon in all colors except for Gold on Verizon.

Actually I just checked Best Buy online and they seem to have in store stock as well, maybe it's just the carriers which are low on stock.

nib95

Banned

Don't bother swapping, virtually no difference at all since the last update (which made both take images of a similar file size. Previously the ISOCELL sensor took shots at nearly half the file size of the Sony one). I've done comprehensive comparisons as I have both in my household (mine is the Sony sensor, wife's is the Samsung), and honestly rather than one being better than the other, now it's more like they just trade blows. But you'd only notice even then if you were pixel peeping.

GSG Flash

Don't bother swapping, virtually no difference at all since the last update (which made both take images of a similar file size. Previously the ISOCELL sensor took shots at nearly half the file size of the Sony one). I've done comprehensive comparisons as I have both in my household (mine is the Sony sensor, wife's is the Samsung), and honestly rather than one being better than the other, now it's more like they just trade blows. But you'd only notice even then if you were pixel peeping.

Yup this was my conclusion as well, didn't see any difference between the two.

My S6 keeps slowing the fuck down randomly, I use cleanmaster, turn off the screen, maybe browse the web, and later on when I turn the phone on again it takes forever to exit the browser and go to the homepage.

How do I check what's eating up my memory?

Also anybody else experiencing browsing GAF on mobile and Chrome closes?

My S6 keeps slowing the fuck down randomly, I use cleanmaster, turn off the screen, maybe browse the web, and later on when I turn the phone on again it takes forever to exit the browser and go to the homepage.

How do I check what's eating up my memory?

Also anybody else experiencing browsing GAF on mobile and Chrome closes?

5.0 has a notorious memory leak issue. Sadly this isn't something you can just fix.

Alpha_eX

S6 owner, anyone else notice coming out of the lock screen can take a while? Quite annoying.

Also, Grim Fandango doesn't work on it, what's up with that?

GSG Flash

What phone did you have before? I have the S5 and I wanted the Note Edge. Would you recommend the S6 Edge over the Note Edge?

Two different phones. One is a phablet, the other isn't.

If you're interested in the phones because of the edges, the edge on the Note Edge is more functional than the edges on the S6E.

The edges on the S6E are almost exclusively there for aesthetic reasons.

BokehKing

Banned
I usually rock otterboxes with my phones, which dead all of the phones sex appeal, would definitely dead the appeal of the 6 edge

Any suggestions for alternate cases?

Yes, very weird.

Well let me quantify why. Before I do, I understand that every phone model has a different screen and there's a difference in view angle, color warmth or coolness and so forth. It's also likely because of the attributes of the OLED screen.

Ok, here's what's standing out to me right now.

1) The color display is either super vibrant when set to AMOLED cinema or it becomes a bit on the dull side on the other settings. I feel like there's not a middle ground where as the HTC One has a bit more color and brightness to the colors but not way overblown like the cinema setting

2) The white level of the S6 has a bit of a yellow tint/warmth to it that makes the white look not as good to me at the moment compared to the HTC One

3) The color shifts and looks uneven. It's most noticeable on white. So I can look at the screen and looking at the top will be a different gradient of white than at the bottom and I can see this shift easily with just a slight tilt. The whole screen never looks the same white color throughout the display. On the HTC One, I feel you have to tilt it a bit more to get a shift, but when you do, it looks more uniform throughout the screen.

On the upside to the S6, it's peak brightness level is way brighter than the HTC One, but those are the reasons I'm not liking the display of the S6 as much as the HTC One.

Thought I'd test out fingerprint login for websites today on my new S6. You can set it up in settings. You have to login with your username and password on any website and it'll then ask you if you want to use fingerprint login from then on for that site. I did that for Neogaf but the problem is I put in the wrong username. It still asked if I wanted to use fingerprint next time and I clicked yes, but because the details were wrong it wouldn't work obviously and when I used my fingerprint it'd just take me back to the login screen.

I tried wiping my saved settings for the internet app but I can't get the fingerprint login question to pop up again when I log in to Neogaf now. Does anyone know where or how I can maybe wipe the fingerprint permissions so it asks me again? I can't seem to find out how to do it anywhere.

hitgirl

I'm thinking of trading my windows phone in for a S6. Can someone who's savvy on these things explain to me if the Verizon Edge plan is worth it. I'm someone who wants a new phone every year or so. I gather with the Edge program I pay off the full MSRP price of the phone over that year then I can do another free upgrade once it's paid off. However, the benefit is I can sell the phone and recoup some of my cost.

Right?

Edit - Holy shit, I just realized you have to give Verizon your phone once you upgrade. Wow.

Husker86

I'm thinking of trading my windows phone in for a S6. Can someone who's savvy on these things explain to me if the Verizon Edge plan is worth it. I'm someone who wants a new phone every year or so. I gather with the Edge program I pay off the full MSRP price of the phone over that year then I can do another free upgrade once it's paid off. However, the benefit is I can sell the phone and recoup some of my cost.

Right?

Edit - Holy shit, I just realized you have to give Verizon your phone once you upgrade. Wow.

If you don't fully pay it off, yes, you have to turn in the phone. If they're like AT&T, you can pay off the remaining balance, but it's going to be a good chunk after only 12 months I assume. For an S6, you'd have to pay $300 after the 12 month mark to keep the phone.

If you want a new phone every year, you might be better off with traditional contract plans. In the off year, you're gonna have to just sell your current phone and pay full price for a new one. That would save you $100 over 12 months ($300 for Edge plan at the end of 12 months to keep it, vs. $200 now to buy it on contract).

This is all assuming you're on a data plan that charges $15 for Edge smartphone lines. If you're on a lower plan (4GB or less), you only get a $15 discount for Edge, as opposed to $25. In that case you're definitely better off with contract option.

edit: Edge would be "cheaper" if you aren't the type to bother selling your phones, but then you'd have to get into the mindset that you're renting a phone for 12 months. You'd never have to put any money down for a phone (except taxes up front). That's not really a mindset I can get into as I like keeping/selling my old phones, but that's the option they give.

edit2: Damn, I just noticed Verizon is cheaper than AT&T. Crazyness!

hitgirl

If you don't fully pay it off, yes, you have to turn in the phone. If they're like AT&T, you can pay off the remaining balance, but it's going to be a good chunk after only 12 months I assume. For an S6, you'd have to pay $300 after the 12 month mark to keep the phone.

If you want a new phone every year, you might be better off with traditional contract plans. In the off year, you're gonna have to just sell your current phone and pay full price for a new one. That would save you $100 over 12 months ($300 for Edge plan at the end of 12 months to keep it, vs. $200 now to buy it on contract).

This is all assuming you're on a data plan that charges $15 for Edge smartphone lines. If you're on a lower plan (4GB or less), you only get a $15 discount for Edge, as opposed to $25. In that case you're definitely better off with contract option.

edit: Edge would be "cheaper" if you aren't the type to bother selling your phones, but then you'd have to get into the mindset that you're renting a phone for 12 months. You'd never have to put any money down for a phone (except taxes up front). That's not really a mindset I can get into as I like keeping/selling my old phones, but that's the option they give.

edit2: Damn, I just noticed Verizon is cheaper than AT&T. Crazyness!

Ah, I see now. Thank you for the help in breaking it down.

sun-drop

I've had this phone about a week now, and the battery life is just fine IMO, and I am on my phone all day long..

Although I'll qualify that a bit, I have yet to go out on an all day field trip,away from mains power...so I guess I'll see..

But the thing is, in the morning I'll wake up, phone might be at 60% , I'll plug the charger in and by the time I'm out the door to work its fully charged. And I can get through the whole work day fine too.

Basically on my s4 I've that that phone on power save for most of the day...so far with my edge I haven't even tried low power mode yet after a week of use..the situation just hasn't come up...

Over all I love this phone, coming off a s4 I'd glad I went for the edge variant , the standard s6 just looked too similar ,looked good..but pretty much seemed like a metal version of my s4. The edge just makes me want to pick it up...I love how it looks.

Feels good in hand too..I was worried, hard to tell at shops because they had the security thing stuck on the back. But yeh,its fine.. Although, on a hot day, if yr hand was sweaty.. This thing is going to fly out of it.. The standard model def gives a better grip. No doubt.

But I love the bubble screen on the edge, gives everything a bit of depth. And the finish is incredible.. Super impressed.

Probably the most impressive bit of tech I've held in my hand since the vita..

Got a question here, I just came from sony xperia z to the s6 edge. How do you guys manage to import photos and videos to your computer?

With the sony software, I was able to not only backup my photos in separate folders by day, but also my other media from whatsapp etc... I tried using the sony software for the samsung, but it can't seem to detect the date of the photos to make it able to separate into different dates, along with scanning for ALL pictures on the phone, even icons. Does samsung have something similar like a media manager?

I also tried using ACDSEE, but that didn't work too well with android system in general because of some weird settings of the android system itself. I used it with my iphone and it was perfect. But with android it also scans EVERYTHING and same like the sony program.

I'm looking for something that I can just plug it in and it'll backup my photos by date and able to auto create it for me on the pc.

I'm running windows 8.1. Please help. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom