• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy this phone sim free in the UK and I'm getting so confused by the model numbers in the title of some websites. What is the significance of G920F etc? I've never bought an Android phone outright so not sure what to look for.

Also if anyone knows the cheapest and most trustworthy place to buy the Black 32GB standard S6 in the UK, that'd be great.

Chanser

Looking to buy this phone sim free in the UK and I'm getting so confused by the model numbers in the title of some websites. What is the significance of G920F etc? I've never bought an Android phone outright so not sure what to look for.

Also if anyone knows the cheapest and most trustworthy place to buy the Black 32GB standard S6 in the UK, that'd be great.

G-920F is the global model number for the S6, G-925F is the edge equivalent. I would suggest buying 64GB model minimum.

Cheapest S6 is at Giffgaff, they come unlocked and you may need to buy a goody bag.

https://www.giffgaff.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s6/phone-details

Anyone find the themes look really childish?

G-920F is the global model number for the S6, G-925F is the edge equivalent. I would suggest buying 64GB model minimum.

Cheapest S6 is at Giffgaff, they come unlocked and you may need to buy a goody bag.

https://www.giffgaff.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s6/phone-details

Anyone find the themes look really childish?

Thanks, that makes sense.

As for the themes I've seen a bunch of people complain that the official released themes aren't "professional" enough and can be quite childish. I don't have the phone yet though so I don't know how true that is.

Zalusithix

I've got the official wireless charger and have the problem that sometimes the charger doesnt start charging although the phone is pretty much centered on it. Anyone else here have this problem as well?

As an update to my previous reply to this, I've now experienced this a couple of times. The blue light goes on, but the charging doesn't actually happen. Down to around 50% capacity now as the phone has been more than 24hr without a charge.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The most professional looking theme is the BMW one, but I have a big problem with it, the colour of the font on the notification bar blends in with the wallpaper, which makes it hard to see.

Chanser

"ok google" glitch has been fixed.

https://productforums.google.com/fo...ooter#!msg/websearch/xGiV6D4PMS8/Z9uJWU9-vJQJ

Are these new? Found them on Samsung support site.

Ineph2N.jpg
ekx53QJ.jpg
gU46q4E.jpg

I asked in the Android thread and I guess nobody could help. I've bought an S6 but have had an iPhone for the past 5 years, so the change might be a little daunting. Does anyone know the best way to maybe back up my iOS files and transfer them to my PC and then to my S6? I mainly want my notes and maybe my iTunes playlists.

I've seen software like the Apowersoft Phone Manager but not sure if it's trust worthy or the best for what I want. If anyone has made the jump from iOS to Android in the past and can help that'd be great.

otapnam

I asked in the Android thread and I guess nobody could help. I've bought an S6 but have had an iPhone for the past 5 years, so the change might be a little daunting. Does anyone know the best way to maybe back up my iOS files and transfer them to my PC and then to my S6? I mainly want my notes and maybe my iTunes playlists.

I've seen software like the Apowersoft Phone Manager but not sure if it's trust worthy or the best for what I want. If anyone has made the jump from iOS to Android in the past and can help that'd be great.

About the iTunes Playlist - if u use google play backup it will grab all your tracks and playlists and put them in the cloud for free. You can then run the google play app on your new s6 that way.

Husker86

Google Play Music Manager for iTunes playlists and music, but you'll need to do it from a computer, not directly from the iPhone. There are ways if you don't have the music on a computer, but they're all hacky.

Notes from the iPhone app can't be transferred via a file manager. Samsung's transfer software might do it, I can't remember. Otherwise, just for future reference, make sure to use a cross platform notes app (basically every app except for the iPhone and Samsung OEM ones). Actually, use cross platform app for absolutely everything possible. OEM apps, especially Samsung's, are never better; there's almost no benefit to use them.

I absolutely love my s6. Got it last Friday but.....

It has restarted a total of 20 complete times since I've had it. It makes me sad, more than angry but it's so amazing giving me a huge headache. It looks like I definitely have a defective model. Has anyone experienced this before?

Its a regular S6 32GB Platinum

Husker86

It has restarted a total of 20 complete times since I've had it. It makes me sad, more than angry but it's so amazing giving me a huge headache. It looks like I definitely have a defective model. Has anyone experienced this before?

I haven't had a single restart. A few app crashes here and there, but no restarts. You are probably correct in thinking you have a bad unit.

Zalusithix

20 times in less than a week? Seeing as how I don't believe you can normally install anything on the phone could cause a hard crash, then yeah, I'd say that's about as defective as you can get. I haven't had a single random restart since I received it at launch.

BFIB

Ok, I'm about to lose my mind.

On the lockscreen, the screen stays on for about 2 seconds. Anyway to change the duration on the lock screen? I cannot find it in settings anywhere, and constantly when I go to place my thumb to unlock, the entire screen shuts off before I can even do anything. Its driving me crazy!

Chanser

Ok, I'm about to lose my mind.

On the lockscreen, the screen stays on for about 2 seconds. Anyway to change the duration on the lock screen? I cannot find it in settings anywhere, and constantly when I go to place my thumb to unlock, the entire screen shuts off before I can even do anything. Its driving me crazy!

Settings > lock screen & security > secure lock settings > lock automatically

Zalusithix

Aren't Samsung's also $50? Are they that high because of the quality or because it's an official Samsung accessory?

Because they're both a wireless charger and the AC adapter. Most of the cheap ass ones are just the pad without the respective USB charger to go with them - under the assumption you'll already have one.

NH Apache

Banned
Any recommendations for wireless chargers?

Because they're both a wireless charger and the AC adapter. Most of the cheap ass ones are just the pad without the respective USB charger to go with them - under the assumption you'll already have one.

I've had this one for a couple days:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9TBTDM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It works well. It does not come with a power adapter, only a cable. Make sure you have a 2A charger as a 1A charger takes forever. A 2A plug allows it to charge at 1A. You also have to make sure the phone is orientated correctly on the pad for it to work. It does work through my case.

I also found that it recognizes the wireless charging faster if I put it down when it is unlocked, but I have to play more with it.

My Mother's first GS6 Edge constantly rebooted starting on the Friday after she got it... IIRC she got it on Tuesday that week. By Sunday when I was checking it out for her, it was rebooting fast enough that I couldn't even get into the service menus while on the phone with T-Mobile tech support. They sent out a replacement the next day and she says it's working great.

TLDR: sounds defective.

I have the official wireless charging pad. Unfortunately, in my experience it stops charging after my S6 reaches 100% and the phone might work its way down into the 80s by the time I pick it back up. I'm planning on returning the charger.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get tabs to work on the S6 stock browser the way they did on the S3? I really liked that I could open tabs without being forced off the current page I'm viewing. If there's no way to do this with the stock browser, is there another browser that would meet my desire?

Zalusithix

I have the official wireless charging pad. Unfortunately, in my experience it stops charging after my S6 reaches 100% and the phone might work its way down into the 80s by the time I pick it back up. I'm planning on returning the charger.

That's very wrong. Something is either broken with the charger, or the phone itself. I've had the phone not actually charge at all due to being off in alignment or some such a couple of times, but I've never seen it discharge on the charger after charging.

About the iTunes Playlist - if u use google play backup it will grab all your tracks and playlists and put them in the cloud for free. You can then run the google play app on your new s6 that way.

Google Play Music Manager for iTunes playlists and music, but you'll need to do it from a computer, not directly from the iPhone. There are ways if you don't have the music on a computer, but they're all hacky.

Notes from the iPhone app can't be transferred via a file manager. Samsung's transfer software might do it, I can't remember. Otherwise, just for future reference, make sure to use a cross platform notes app (basically every app except for the iPhone and Samsung OEM ones). Actually, use cross platform app for absolutely everything possible. OEM apps, especially Samsung's, are never better; there's almost no benefit to use them.

Thanks, guys. I'll download Google Play Music Manager as all my files are on my PC. Just to clarify though, will I be able to put my music directly on my phone and not on the cloud? I'd rather have them on my device if possible, does the Music Manager do that?

And yeah, can't find any solid ways to even get my iPhone notes on my PC, let alone my S6. It's really frustrating. You'd think copying a bunch of text documents from your phone to your PC would be the easiest thing ever. Not for iPhone's apparently.

weird thing started to happen. every once in a while the battery will just tank, like I had 100 charge at 10pm and woke up at 6am down to 55 where normally it would go down maybe 3% overnight. if I restart the phone it goes back to normal though. I never have many apps in the background either. usually just like chrome, twitter, email

That's very wrong. Something is either broken with the charger, or the phone itself. I've had the phone not actually charge at all due to being off in alignment or some such a couple of times, but I've never seen it discharge on the charger after charging.
I've been using the charging pad every night for about 2 weeks and a full charge stayed through to the morning early on in my experience with it (happened maybe twice). Now that I think of it, I think the product is already degrading because I'm starting to have more and more difficulty with getting my phone to accept charging from it, and I'm very meticulous with my placement. Maybe I'll try an exchange first before I request a refund.

Husker86

Thanks, guys. I'll download Google Play Music Manager as all my files are on my PC. Just to clarify though, will I be able to put my music directly on my phone and not on the cloud? I'd rather have them on my device if possible, does the Music Manager do that?

And yeah, can't find any solid ways to even get my iPhone notes on my PC, let alone my S6. It's really frustrating. You'd think copying a bunch of text documents from your phone to your PC would be the easiest thing ever. Not for iPhone's apparently.

The Music Manager app will upload your music to the cloud. From there, on your phone when you open the Play Music app, you can download playlists so that they're stored on your phone.

kinn

Have you tried a factory reset?

So if all goes to plan my S6 should arrive tomorrow. What are the first things I should do with my new phone? Bare in mind I've had an iPhone for 5 years and this is my first Android phone. Any advice or tips on essential things I should do or apps I should install would be great as I'm a full on noob with Android phones.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm switching phone by the end of the year, should I go with a Galaxy S6 or a Note 4? I have the Galaxy Note 2 right now and I love it.

So if all goes to plan my S6 should arrive tomorrow. What are the first things I should do with my new phone? Bare in mind I've had an iPhone for 5 years and this is my first Android phone. Any advice or tips on essential things I should do or apps I should install would be great as I'm a full on noob with Android phones.

Theme store, change your ringtones, set up for fingerprint reader, google account, etc.

I'm switching phone by the end of the year, should I go with a Galaxy S6 or a Note 4? I have the Galaxy Note 2 right now and I love it.

Wait to see Note 5.
Then probably buy Note 5.

So have they
unlocked it yet?

How many gigs does the bloat ware take up (verizon)

I think fresh out of the box my 64 had 52gigs available.

I love how fast this phone charges.

Is the wireless charger worth getting? Amazon has it for $40.00 right now.

Yes, I love it. Phone goes on the charger every night. And the slower then normal charging rate should theoretically be better for the life of the battery.

Aesthet1c

I love how fast this phone charges.

Is the wireless charger worth getting? Amazon has it for $40.00 right now.

I don't know about the official one, but I bought a cheap third party one on Amazon for like $15 and its amazing. I imagine the Samsung one is just as good or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom