• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, mover's coupons work with buying an S6 at Best buy for those who's getting it off contract and not tmo
:(

My friend saw my s6 over the weekend and ended up picking up a 64gb black AT&T one yesterday.

Vitanimus

bought a 64GB S6 online and the screen had so many dead pixels/lines/whatever they were so I'm returning it tomorrow and collecting a new one in person. praying that the screen is fine, I keep reading horror stories of pink/green tints or dead pixels

One thing I hate about phones today is the size, I want a smaller phone - But not cut down specs.

I've been raving about the Z3, but it's still too big and the Z3 compact has cut down specs if I remember correctly.

One thing I like about Samsung is that their mini versions aren't cut down too much. I know an S6 Edge Mini is highly unlikely - but I'd definately buy an S6 Mini.

nib95

Banned
Finally got all our phones (all business contracts). I have two 64GB S6 Edge's (one gold, one black) and two 64GB S6's (one gold, one black) open in-front of me right now, and I've decided I'm sticking with the standard S6 over the Edge after playing with these devices all morning. No cost difference between the two for us, but I think the standard S6 is just better suited to me. Though personally I think either is a fantastic choice.

Here's a list of the pro's and cons concerning both.

S6 Edge

+ Ridiculously good looking
+ Better looking than the standard S6
+ Futuristic to the touch
+ The sharper edges actually provide a better grip
+ Slightly lighter
+ Feels and is ever so slightly smaller
+ The edge quick contacts functionality is actually a pretty good addition
+ When certain things slide transition from the sides, it looks cool

- You do get the odd bit of glare on the sides, though usually you can see through it
- Not sure the curved edges feel that natural to swipe over or press on to
- Legibility of small text can be a minor issue when it warps to the curved edges, though very rarely
- Width wise you lose a tiny fraction of screen real estate
- Watching media, movies etc is not exacting, due to aspect ratio and curve
- The outer most (curved) edges, don't have as much sensitivity as the edges of the standard S6

S6

+ Still fantastic looking
+ More comfortable to hold than the S6 Edge
+ Exact aspect ratio and full screen real estate
+ Preferable for media viewing with more uniform image
+ Less glare overall
+ More flexible viewing angles
+ Touching the outer most edges is more responsive and tactile

- Feels ever so slightly heavier
- Slightly larger overall, mostly in width
- Feels more slippery, with a bit less overall grip
- Doesn't look as futuristic or cool
- Could be mistaken with other devices at first glance
- No edge software functionality

One thing I hate about phones today is the size, I want a smaller phone - But not cut down specs.

I've been raving about the Z3, but it's still too big and the Z3 compact has cut down specs if I remember correctly.

One thing I like about Samsung is that their mini versions aren't cut down too much. I know an S6 Edge Mini is highly unlikely - but I'd definately buy an S6 Mini.

you've got things mixed up. the Sony Z_ Compact series are the only mini series that (except for screen resolution) are uncut. all of the others, Samsung, HTC, LG etc... are all cut down in RAM/CPU/Flash etc

Falcs

Banned
So I just got given the S6 at work...
Meh..
It's basically a Samsung branded iPhone with Touch Wiz..

Pretty shitty phone if I'm being quite honest. Camera's not bad I guess.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't think I've ever needed a comma texting before. I don't find the need for correct punctuation on texts.

But do you neogaf?

I always use Google Keyboard instead. Seeing someone write whole sentences without commas is awful.
I've been using SwiftKey, but not a big fan. It incorrectly autocompletes words I'm still busy typing and is overall pretty obnoxious. I'll see if I like Google keyboard better. That's probably more privacy invasion I'm signing up for, but Google already monitors everything anyway.
(just got a Google now notification that I never turned on that my train was leaving from platform fifteen in a few minutes for my total commute time of one hour and eight minutes, and would I like some local news. I said damn)

spekkeh

Banned
Meh..

You don't buy Samsungs for their looks. Just enjoy the best screen around with no lag in multitasking tens of apps.

nib95

Banned
Meh..

It is at face value based on aesthetics alone, not when you get to the meat of it.

- The best mobile display on the market
- Larger overall display (5.1" vs 4.7")
- Nearly 4x the resolution of an iPhone 6 display (4k vs 750p)
- Basic colour mode with the most accurate metrics of any display out there in every category
- Better and faster rear camera
- Considerably better front facing camera
- Better video, and with stabilisation
- Wider angle lenses with better apertures
- Far more camera options
- Far better microphone and audio recording
- Overall quicker phone despite pushing 4x more pixels
- Much better multitasking, including split screen use of apps
- Overall more customisability and options
- Better speaker quality and higher volume
- Far better specs
- Far quicker on board flash storage
- Better internal DAC and ability to play hi-res audio
- Better overall battery life
- Considerably faster charging
- Offers wireless charging
- And more

The Galaxy S6 is sort of like a glimpse at things a future iPhone release might offer.

Zalusithix

It is at face value based on aesthetics alone, not when you get to the meat of it.

- The best mobile display on the market
- Larger overall display (5.1" vs 4.7")
- Nearly 4x the resolution of an iPhone 6 display (4k vs 750p)
- Basic colour mode with the most accurate metrics of any display out there in every category
- Better and faster rear camera
- Considerably better front facing camera
- Better video, and with stabilisation
- Wider angle lenses with better apertures
- Far more camera options
- Far better microphone and audio recording
- Overall quicker phone despite pushing 4x more pixels
- Much better multitasking, including split screen use of apps
- Overall more customisability and options
- Better speaker quality and higher volume
- Far better specs
- Far quicker on board flash storage
- Better internal DAC and ability to play hi-res audio
- Better overall battery life
- Considerably faster charging
- Offers wireless charging
- And more

The Galaxy S6 is sort of like a glimpse at things a future iPhone release might offer.

Not sure why you're even bothering to validate that comment with a rational reply. He gives no reasons why the phone is "shitty" outside of reskin of the UI. (Which is comparatively light when put against past Samsung phones, and replaceable on all Android phones.) Then the "camera's not bad" comment which is a phrase that implies middling performance, when in reality the camera performance is actually better than virtually all phones that came before it. The S6 isn't perfect, but if it's shitty, then all phones are shitty. For anything another phone has over the S6, it loses in something else.

Falcs

Banned
The reason I think it's shitty is mainly because of Touch Wiz (Is that what it's still called?). Touch Wiz is ugly as hell, restrictive, and has a little too much IOS feel to it for my liking.

The aesthetics of the phone - fugly. It looks like a mixture of different iPhone generations all in one. Every single one of my colleagues that saw me playing with it when I got it thought I had gotten an iPhone.

The button placement - awkward. Volume buttons are too high, power button on the side is just weird, I'll never get used to it (and this is from someone who used a galaxy s3 for 2 years).

All those great specs posted above are neat 'n' all, but when it comes down to it, it's still just a phone. I have no use for such great specs. I can't actually see any noticeable difference in performance or anything as compared to my HTC One M8.
And the screen? Yeah it's not bad, but again I don't see any noticeable difference between the two phones.

The camera is pretty good, I'll give it that. Not worth getting a phone just for a camera though. And if I want good photos I'll use my DSLR, not my phone.

meh. I hated Touchwizz on the S1 and the S3. Couldn't root and flash fast enough. But on this..I barely notice it compared to stock. In fact some of the ways that it handles notifications are really well thought out. The only thing I don't like is having to hold a key to activate google now. Is there anyway to have google now voice rec persist wherever you are on the phone? So you can say "OK Google" and then give it command. Possibly even when the screen is off.

I use that a lot in the car "OK google...

...Navigate home

...Play "The Boatman's Call"

...Text [Wife's Name] I'll be home in time to put the kids to bed"

etc

nib95

Banned
Managed to get 5 and a half hours screen on time with fairly heavy use on the first day full day with my S6. Not too bad. Mostly a mix of web browsing, YouTube, music, camera, phone calls, WhatsApp and texting.

Screenshot_2015-05-06-00-35-59-picsay.png

Also quite happy with my lock screen wallpaper, and PowerAmp widget look. Suits my pink hued mountain background.

Screenshot_2015-05-06-00-42-39-picsay.png

Screenshot_2015-05-06-13-59-53-picsay.png

nib95

Banned
The reason I think it's shitty is mainly because of Touch Wiz (Is that what it's still called?). Touch Wiz is ugly as hell, restrictive, and has a little too much IOS feel to it for my liking.

The aesthetics of the phone - fugly. It looks like a mixture of different iPhone generations all in one. Every single one of my colleagues that saw me playing with it when I got it thought I had gotten an iPhone.

The button placement - awkward. Volume buttons are too high, power button on the side is just weird, I'll never get used to it (and this is from someone who used a galaxy s3 for 2 years).

All those great specs posted above are neat 'n' all, but when it comes down to it, it's still just a phone. I have no use for such great specs. I can't actually see any noticeable difference in performance or anything as compared to my HTC One M8.
And the screen? Yeah it's not bad, but again I don't see any noticeable difference between the two phones.

The camera is pretty good, I'll give it that. Not worth getting a phone just for a camera though. And if I want good photos I'll use my DSLR, not my phone.

If your response to awesome tech and features is just, "it's still just a phone", you probably don't need to be using a device like the S6. In fact you'd probably be better served with something much cheaper, simpler, smaller, and less complicated. These kinds of devices are made to offer maximum features, speed, options, capabilities and so on. They're basically mini computers, not just simple phones. Ideally suited for power users or those that do a lot more with their devices than just make calls. And it must be fun carrying your DSLR with you everywhere you go lol. I personally have a 5D Mk III with a bunch of L Lenses, but my mobile camera is still massively important to me, as that's the one I'm using 99% of the time.

But if it's only stand out aesthetics you're interested in, you should have gotten the S6 Edge instead. That looks and feels like no other mobile phone currently on the market.

Zalusithix

Don't like Touch Wiz? Replace the launcher. The beauty of Android is the power of choice. Not everything can be changed, but a good chunk of it can be.

Aesthetics are a very personal thing, so there's not much to debate there. There will never be a phone (or anything really) that appeals to everybody's sense of style. Some will absolutely love a design, some will hate it, though the majority will fall somewhere in the middle. That and most people have to balance aesthetics with specs when it comes to choosing a phone. You don't care about specs though, so you have more free reign in that regard.

Ergonomics is more objective than aesthetics, but still has aspects of subjective personal preferences. I'll agree the volume buttons are too high to be useful without repositioning of the hand. The power button, on the other hand, I prefer where it is. It's perfectly where my thumb is which makes powering off a breeze. I would use it to power it on as well, but since the fingerprint scanner is so good, I just use the home button to do that now. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

ukas

I received my Edge International (SM-G925I) yesterday. No carrier bloat or branding whatsoever. Ah it feels good to get rid of that crap.

There are a few minor differences OS'wise from my AT&T version.
--The settings screen is all vertical scrolling instead of horizontal scrolling
--There's no A-Z sorting option for the app drawer (not that big of a deal to me since I use Nova, still stupid though)
--Quick Connect/S Finder is in the notification shade
--The "Connected to ..." wifi info is gone from the notification shade (traded one for the other I guess).
--Smart Manager is unmodified

That's all I've really noticed so far. I was able to get this cheaper than I paid outright on AT&T and now I can root the phone. Time to return the other back to Amazon.

solarus

I have not even really noticed touchwiz on the s6, like it's very out of the way, have no complaints with it. Just the app icons are ugly but you can replace those, having had it for a few weeks now it's definitely an incredible phone, can't think of any flaw besides the battery life being average. Samsung really delivered.

BFIB

To each their own, but I'll agree that if the M8 had a better camera, I'd probably still own that phone.

I didn't want to upgrade but my s4 got a stuck power button and I stripped a screw so I can't fix it easily... I am now a happy owner of a gs6,thankfully I've got a good deal for the phone and I upgraded my data plan from 2 to 7go.
I was very happy with the s4 and didn't feel the need to upgrade, but I must admit that the phone is amazing.

I didn't expect the higher ppi and better screen to be such a huge improvement. Everything is so much responsive.

Is there a good starter guide for new owner?
I switched the display to basic as soon as I got the phone, is there another thing I need to disabled or activate in order to enjoy the phone proper?

nib95

Banned
I didn't want to upgrade but my s4 got a stuck power button and I stripped a screw so I can't fix it easily... I am now a happy owner of a gs6,thankfully I've got a good deal for the phone and I upgraded my data plan from 2 to 7go.
I was very happy with the s4 and didn't feel the need to upgrade, but I must admit that the phone is amazing.

I didn't expect the higher ppi and better screen to be such a huge improvement. Everything is so much responsive.

Is there a good starter guide for new owner?
I switched the display to basic as soon as I got the phone, is there another thing I need to disabled or activate in order to enjoy the phone proper?

I turned off the Flipboard home screen page you see when you swipe left. Just hold your finger on any blank space on your home screen, swipe left and untick the box.

Also, go to settings, about device, and tap build number seven times. Then a new option in settings called developer options will open up. Here turn windows animation scale, transition animation scale and animator duration scale all to 0.5x instead of the default 1.0x. This will make everything snappier.

Also, when the camera is loaded, click on mode and download the camera feature called Beauty Mode. The phone already uses it with selfies, but here you unlock it for the rear cam. Once downloaded and selected, click on the icon to change its strength (from 1 to 8). With this mode enabled, people's faces will be automatically smoothened and cleaned up, as if air brushed. I find setting 3 works best, anything more looks overly photoshopped lol. But it's a matter of subjective preference.

I turned off the Flipboard home screen page you see when you swipe left. Just hold your finger on any blank space on your home screen, swipe left and untick the box.

Also, go to settings, about device, and tap build number seven times. Then a new option in settings called developer options will open up. Here turn windows animation scale, transition animation scale and animator duration scale all to 0.5x instead of the default 1.0x. This will make everything snappier.

Also, when the camera is loaded, click on mode and download the camera feature called Beauty Mode. The phone already uses it with selfies, but here you unlock it for the rear cam. Once downloaded and selected, click on the icon to change its strength (from 1 to 8). With this mode enabled, people's faces will be automatically smoothened and cleaned up, as if air brushed. I find setting 3 works best, anything more looks overly photoshopped lol. But it's a matter of subjective preference.

Thx for the tips, making the animations shorter was also a thing to do with a gs4.

What's really impressive with the gs6 screen is that there's very little glare. even some youtube videos looks amazing on it and it's great to show contents to other people.

Zalusithix

Quick launch from the lock screen is pointless IMO. Considering all the personal content stored on the phones these days, they should be locked behind more than a simple swipe action. Now with the finger print reader being good, there's no excuse that it's too cumbersome or takes too long.

Thus getting to something like chrome should be a two step procedure:
  1. Push the home button to power up and unlock the phone via finger print.
  2. Hit the icon to launch chrome that should likely be on your tray.

That's just as much effort as a swipe based lock icon launch that would be:
  1. Push the home/power button to wake up the phone.
  2. Use swipe action to open app from the lock screen.

solarus

Tried playing a game for the first time, rayman fiesta run... for a game that shouldn't be demanding the performance is surprisingly choppy? Is it just badly coded or do some games just not run well on non snapdragon chips?

So after how opposed I was against it I ended up going with the s6. Lg g4 impressions weren't exciting me and I needed a new phone so I bought it via amazon.

Without realizing it I went with the edge. I don't hate it but I had to remove that left panel giant widget. There's also issues when Itype holding it with two hands where I might hit a key with my palm if I'm not using swype. Getting a case for it soonish.Also got cm locker for lockscreen because fuck listening to music with the regular one.

Zalusithix

So after how opposed I was against it I ended up going with the s6. Lg g4 impressions weren't exciting me and I needed a new phone so I bought it via amazon.

Without realizing it I went with the edge. I don't hate it but I had to remove that left panel giant widget. There's also issues when Itype holding it with two hands where I might hit a key with my palm if I'm not using swype. Getting a case for it soonish.Also got cm locker for lockscreen because fuck listening to music with the regular one.

Without realizing it? Just how drunk were you when you placed your order? ;p

Without realizing it? Just how drunk were you when you placed your order? ;p
I had to go through so many hoops to get the att account info that once I did so I completely ignored the word edge and thought to myself "400 for the 64gb regular model? Sounds about right with bullshit internal memory costs"

Also I did it via amazon wireless store which means no rep telling up/downselling me lol

Zalusithix

I had to go through so many hoops to get the att account info that once I did so I completely ignored the word edge and thought to myself "400 for the 64gb regular model? Sounds about right with bullshit internal memory costs"

Also I did it via amazon wireless store which means no rep telling up/downselling me lol

Honestly I think there's an unwritten rule that all cellular accounts have to be a pain in the ass. Can't tell you how much of a pain Verizon has been in that regard. Granted some of that is due to it being a business account, but still.

The camera is amazing.
Here's how I fucked up a screw while tempting to easy fix my GS4.

That's the reason I've bought a new 700 € phone, so I can take a clear picture of how I messed up ! Hope someone could fix this and I can salvage the phone in order to hand it over.

More impressions after another day with the S6.
Coming from the S4 the battery life is a huge improvement.
I really don't mind touchwiz and the phone is handling everything I throw at it without issues. I don't think I would need to ever install CyanogenMod on this device.
While the camera on the GS4 was great, I never used it much outside main events, but with the S6 it's so easy to draw the camera app and take a picture without any hassle that I am now starting to take random pictures very often.

The multitasking is also very cool and another big change from my everyday use of a smartphone.

Those are the main new changes I experienced. Better screen, performance and built quality are just things you expect with every upgrade.

Audioboxer

My contract is due for an upgrade. Think I'm going with a white standard. White to mask fingerprints and standard as for me I don't want to pay more for the edge (and can only get it in black).

edit: Anyone have a gold version? It looks quite different. Might opt for it over white but fingerprints galore again!

Zalusithix

I've got the official wireless charger and have the problem that sometimes the charger doesnt start charging although the phone is pretty much centered on it. Anyone else here have this problem as well?

If you're talking about the newer puck shaped ones from Samsung, then nope. Charges every time I set it down without fail.

Jedi2016

Way to handle demand, Samsung... Just ordered my Edge yesterday, should be here in about a month or so according to AT&T. 32GB gold. On the plus side, it gives me time to get my apps, backups, and music sorted before it arrives.

Way to handle demand, Samsung... Just ordered my Edge yesterday, should be here in about a month or so according to AT&T. 32GB gold. On the plus side, it gives me time to get my apps, backups, and music sorted before it arrives.

Why not try other outlets like Best Buy or Amazon?

Zalusithix

Shouldn't really surprise you though. There's been news about how the demand for the edge variant has outstripped supply since before the phone even launched.

It'll be interesting to see whether the demand holds for the S7 edge. (Assuming there is one.)

32GB Gold Edge? that's probably the most supply constrained SKU of them all.

Mascot

My contract is due for an upgrade. Think I'm going with a white standard. White to mask fingerprints and standard as for me I don't want to pay more for the edge (and can only get it in black).

edit: Anyone have a gold version? It looks quite different. Might opt for it over white but fingerprints galore again!

The white is beautiful. Very, very happy with my choice.

Z3M0G

S3 owner here.

Should I go directly for the S6, or settle for a S5?

How drastic is the battery life difference? The fast recharge sounds like a good compromise though...

MightyKAC

Former iPhone user and I just got an S6 Edge.

Loving this phone but MAN does its battery ever drain quickly.

Anyone know of a good charger case for it?

Preferably one that covers the face?

kinn

Hows the battery life for everyone?

I keep getting Google Services and Cell standby high usage. Higher than screen time. Anyone else get this?

S3 owner here.

Should I go directly for the S6, or settle for a S5?

How drastic is the battery life difference? The fast recharge sounds like a good compromise though...

Depends how much you really value things like Micro SD or water IP certification. I personally wouldn't get the S5, but different strokes. S6 also runs faster and the fingerprint scanner is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom