• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "return" capacitive button is already scratched after only one week while being super cautious and using a case ... Did it happen to anybody else ? It's not a big deal but I'm kinda bummed I couldn't keep the phone in pristine ocndition more than one week. I'm worried about the durability now.

Zalusithix

The "return" capacitive button is already scratched after only one week while being super cautious and using a case ... Did it happen to anybody else ? It's not a big deal but I'm kinda bummed I couldn't keep the phone in pristine ocndition more than one week. I'm worried about the durability now.

Err, you can't scratch a capacitive button. It's not really a physical object. You can scratch the glass where the "button" is, but that's no different than scratching the screen. Scratching the S6's glass is rather hard to do, so I'd be less worried about durability and more about whatever you did to manage that. I've had phones for years with lesser versions of gorilla glass that haven't gotten a scratch in them - and this is without a screen protector.

I said I scratched the button just to identify the spot where the scratches are...
It's not random scratches because they are located just where I touch the button and nowhere else.

They are micro scratches who are barely visible. I own a gs2 and a gs4, that's why I am surprised to see those kind of scratches so quickly. I wondered If the coating above the capacitive buttons may be different from the rest of the screen... Like I said, I was very careful with the phone and even got the stink eye from a friend when I asked him to wipe is hand before using it. I was not careless and that's why I exposed the issue on this topic.

Zalusithix

There have been issues of micro scratches on the edge variant straight from the factory, but those have to deal either with the bending of the edge glass, or the polishing afterwards. I haven't heard of anybody scratching the screen otherwise - even people trying to do so have had a hell of a time. If you managed to scratch it yourself, then either the glass was faulty, or you've somehow exposed it to something unusually abrasive.

*Edit: My edge does have some of those factory created micro scratches by the way. It doesn't bother me because they're invisible unless you hold the phone at an odd angle and shine a light on it. In normal usage you'd never be able to see them.

f0rk

Went with an s6, been quite impressed with the battery life. I wasn't expecting much but it's definitely better than my nexus 4 after 2 years. That probably says more about how batteries age though to be fair

Chanser

gsmarena_001.jpg

Samsung teasing. :(

atr0cious

Got the GearVR for this thing. It's pretty fantastic for what it is, and I do devwork on the DK2. FOV is kind of small, but it makes up for it by being an out of the box working product with no wires. I've been toting it around just showing it to people, especially just the VR cinema. No lean functions, but it has a touchpad on the side and you can use your bluetooth controllers, like my DS4. Grab it if you want a glimpse of the future, but know the true consumer edition might be hitting this winter.

Krakatoa

Got the GearVR for this thing. It's pretty fantastic for what it is, and I do devwork on the DK2. FOV is kind of small, but it makes up for it by being an out of the box working product with no wires. I've been toting it around just showing it to people, especially just the VR cinema. No lean functions, but it has a touchpad on the side and you can use your bluetooth controllers, like my DS4. Grab it if you want a glimpse of the future, but know the true consumer edition might be hitting this winter.

I was thinking about getting one. Did you order it directly from Samsung?

dextran

I got one myself and have been blown away. Swapping out different theaters and having your surroundings change on command is incredible.
I wish it was easier to get new content. I want to rent movies on google play and watch them in VR cinema without hassle.
i have an upcoming plane trip and I look forward to escaping the plane to watch a movie in my own private theater!

Hmm... There's a lot more micro scratches above the "back" button than from my previous posts and I clearly didn't do anything dangerous with the device and the scratches are located only on this area. Could the coating on the glass be defective and should I return the phone? It's a shame because otherwise I don't have other common issues like rose tinted display or scratched home button.

I don't know how to explain my issue neither...

Ugh, I hate when new devices are perfectly functional but got small quality issues like this...

Jedi2016

So AT&T doesn't seem to have a clue what's coming or going from their warehouses these days. I get an email the other day "Your item is on backorder and we have no idea when it will ship, if ever", followed by, within sixty seconds, "Your item has shipped, thanks for shopping with us!"

So yeah, I've got my gold Edge. Still getting it set up with all my apps and such, but man is it snappy.

taybul

I love my S6 non-edge. Phone I had before was the Nexus 4 which I used since it was released. It was such a basic phone with really nothing wrong but I just wanted something new. Eventually when I decided it was time to upgrade it came down between the M9 and the S6. I was leaning toward the M9 since I had an HTC One before and loved it but the S6 had something about it that was just too alluring. I'm so glad I went with it. Coming from the N4, seeing the S6 screen was such a breath of fresh air. Can't say I'm a huge fan of UI (I preferred having all the quick menu icons displayed vertically like on vanilla Android) but it takes damn nice pictures, it's quick and snappy, and the screen is beautiful.

One thing I read was there's some issue with memory where the system had to do a full refresh on background apps when switching. I've noticed pages having to be reloaded, games restarting, etc just switching from one app and then back. Anyone else having this issue? I hear the next update is supposed to fix it but I haven't seen it yet from T-mo.

Hmm... There's a lot more micro scratches above the "back" button than from my previous posts and I clearly didn't do anything dangerous with the device and the scratches are located only on this area. Could the coating on the glass be defective and should I return the phone? It's a shame because otherwise I don't have other common issues like rose tinted display or scratched home button.

I don't know how to explain my issue neither...

Ugh, I hate when new devices are perfectly functional but got small quality issues like this...

Called the customer service and I will get a new phone next Wednesday.
Hopefully, it will have no issue.

On another topic, hearthstone on the s6 is really great. It's the first time I play a game online everywhere I go. It's a killer app for the device.

Zalusithix

While I was looking at the back of the phone today, I noticed that the actual camera lens isn't centered perfectly within the circular glass window cutout. It doesn't affect anything functionally, but kind of interesting given the fact that everything else in the phone is built to exacting tolerances.

Pifje

Well, I got the S6 Edge even though I thought I could wait until the next iPhone.

Compared to my old Note 2, the difference is, of course, like night and day. You just can't compete with plastic and fake chrome against metal and glass. The S6 just feels incredibly solid. It isn't necessarily more comfortable to hold because of the thin sides and sharp back side, but it does feel like a very, very slick and delicate device. It feels almost alien compared to the old Note.

Surprisingly the biggest difference is in the display quality. Sure, there are crap loads of more pixels pushed out on the S6's display, but the brightness alone of this display blew me away. The old Note with 720p Super AMOLED (non-pentile) looks almost even dirty when compared to this new one:

The edge display looks unique, special and all that jizzle, but to me it is most of the time just distracting. The UI gets distorted, and the 3D effect given by the technology it almost annoying to me. Maybe I'll get used to it, maybe not, but I think this tech would have made more sense with a wider display (like Meizu uses 1536 x 2560 pixels displays) because making it curved makes the display even narrower than it already is.

But, yeah, on another note it is blazing fast, and the UI looks ten times better than the old one. Kudos for toning down TouchWiz. The cameras are also super bright and accurate.

Called the customer service and I will get a new phone next Wednesday.
Hopefully, it will have no issue.

Well, they fucked me over. The return policy for a new phone is 7 days after purchase and I called them 10 days after purchase... You can imagine how disapointed I was when I discovered a device riddled with scratches on the screen and in a far worse condition than my new device... They should have told me I wouldn't have a new phone, I wouldn't have bothered with the return and wouldn't have wasted hours of app dowloading...

As a consolation, I got 15€ and I can say that I have a very unique device... Hopefully, the micro scratching issue will just stay a minor cosmetic one and stop spreading.

jamsy

Hey GAF, just got a new white S6 a couple days ago. I really like the phone so far, but I have a few issues.

1) When I first set up the fingerprint sensor, it worked like a charm. A day later, and it's working maybe 30% of the time if I'm lucky. I set up my other thumb, deleted them both, set them up again and still the same result. When I press my thumb down more horizontally on the home button (which is the natural way of doing it, I suppose), the sensor keeps giving me error messages more often than not...

2) I keep getting notifications about 5 minutes late. My old Note 2 (which is currently in airplane mode and just using wifi) gets it right on time. The S6 is consistently 5 or so minutes late. Is there any way to fix it?

3) Chrome has crashed at least 3 times. And when I restart it, all my tabs are gone. I don't recall this ever happening on my Note 2.

Pifje

Hey GAF, just got a new white S6 a couple days ago. I really like the phone so far, but I have a few issues.

1) When I first set up the fingerprint sensor, it worked like a charm. A day later, and it's working maybe 30% of the time if I'm lucky. I set up my other thumb, deleted them both, set them up again and still the same result. When I press my thumb down more horizontally on the home button (which is the natural way of doing it, I suppose), the sensor keeps giving me error messages more often than not...

2) I keep getting notifications about 5 minutes late. My old Note 2 (which is currently in airplane mode and just using wifi) gets it right on time. The S6 is consistently 5 or so minutes late. Is there any way to fix it?

You need to cover the whole button with your thumb for it to work. The sensor has worked like a charm for me all the time so far.

For the notifications, try checking your synchronization settings (the intervals, update times or whatever), or try logging out and in your accounts again.

Krakatoa

Don't slide your thumb to unlock just hold it on the sensor.

Raxus

I am picking up an S6 in a few days and all sources point to getting the OG version over the edge. Any points I should consider before I commit?

Krakatoa

I have the s6 edge, and to be honest the note 4 Edge utilizes the edge screen a lot better. To me the edge s6 edges are too small to be useful.

Build wise though its very sturdy. And the screen is amazing.

NH Apache

Banned
Finally upgraded from my Note 2 after seeing nothing desirable coming down the line.

I'm on Sprint so I took advantage of their 32 GB s6 promotion using the lease plan.

0/month, 0 down. Required unlimited Plus plan for 80/month. I have a corporate discount which drops that by 20 percent so it is the same price I was paying for 450 min and unlim text/data.

I will add the 10 dollar a month option to early upgrade so I can try something new in a year.

Can't wait for it to come in. I literally sat there for 15 minutes unsure whether to pick the gold or white. Finally settled on Gold. Can't wait for it to come in. Gonna go ahead and read the thread now. Sooo excited.

jamsy

You need to cover the whole button with your thumb for it to work. The sensor has worked like a charm for me all the time so far.

Don't slide your thumb to unlock just hold it on the sensor.

Yup, I've been doing that. It still doesn't work well at all.

So today my S6 has been running super hot and the battery life has been extremely shitty. Anyone else have this issue? I don't have a case, so it's pretty noticeable and yeah, just really hot, and I'm not playing a game or anything...

Yup, I've been doing that. It still doesn't work well at all.

So today my S6 has been running super hot and the battery life has been extremely shitty. Anyone else have this issue? I don't have a case, so it's pretty noticeable and yeah, just really hot, and I'm not playing a game or anything...

You should probably re-register your fingerprint. It could be it just didn't register well when you first did it.

jamsy

Hey guys, does anyone have Tinder on their S6? I just noticed since I installed it yesterday, the phone has gotten really hot and the battery life has taken a tumble.

I just did a test and while I was using the app, it went up to a steady 96F and the battery life was dropping 1% per minute or so. I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen but I'm unsure if it's my phone or the app...

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How stable is the multi-tasking?

I was tinkering with one at Best Buy, and really, really loved splitting the screen in half. Emails up top, texts on the bottom. That's basically what I'm in 99% of the time at work, as people are constantly reaching out. Having an eye on both would be fantastic. Unfortunately, an app crashed like... every 30 seconds. Was that just a shitty store demo, or is the multitasking that worthless?

Redd

Just got mine in and I'm realizing the immediate need for a case.

I see on a previous page someone mentioned the elago:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V4DJGMA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which is a good price point at 10 bucks and features the phone's looks, which is nice.

Anyone have any other suggestions for a case?

I'm also looking at wireless chargers like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/ref=nav_youraccount_wl?ie=UTF8&requiresSignIn=1

I prefer Spigen neo hybrids for cases.

Eos

got that phone a couple of days ago. loving it so far, you notice the speed right away. even though the battery life is disappointing, the time it takes to charge makes up for it. overall, really happy with the phone

and @above, i noticed it does get hot sometimes

Husker86

I don't like how the address bar in the browser hides when the page is done loading and causes the whole page to shift up.

Protip, Samsung, don't move UI elements without user interaction.

Zalusithix

I don't like how the address bar in the browser hides when the page is done loading and causes the whole page to shift up.

Be thankful you even have the option to use it. Verizon, for instance, removed the stock browser from the phone. Shipped with Chrome and only Chrome. Not that it matters too much to me as I tend to use Firefox, but options are options.

Be thankful you even have the option to use it. Verizon, for instance, removed the stock browser from the phone. Shipped with Chrome and only Chrome. Not that it matters too much to me as I tend to use Firefox, but options are options.

Yeah I was looking for the stock Samsung browser to download but couldn't find it on any stores. I hear it's pretty good. Firefox is kind of bugging me.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I finally found an app that runs like shit on this phone: Waze

The poor performance is a known issue though and has something to do with Lollipop, they're fixing it.

It's pretty annoying, end up hitting wrong threads on GAF because of it. Also, it crashes a bit more than I would like. The HTC stock browser was stable as hell compared to the S6 browser.

That said, the S6 browser is the best mobile browser I've ever used.

skybald

Hey guys, does anyone have Tinder on their S6? I just noticed since I installed it yesterday, the phone has gotten really hot and the battery life has taken a tumble.

I just did a test and while I was using the app, it went up to a steady 96F and the battery life was dropping 1% per minute or so. I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen but I'm unsure if it's my phone or the app...

Does tinder access your location services? If so, and you were in a basement or something, than maybe that is why?

And good luck with your relationship endeavors. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom