• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I would be so devastated if Sansa, Bran, Sam, Gilly, Theon, Yara, and all the Maestors at the Citadel died. Please HBO, don't break my heart.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The maesters deserve to die. They are sitting out there yapping it up being totally ignorant and all like "The White Walkers are no threat, everything's fine!" I'd love to see their faces if they stormed The Citadel. They'd shit themselves more than they already have been, and Sam wouldn't be there to clean it all up.

Speely

Banned
Meh. I still say throw out predictions and such. It's part of the fun. Unfortunately, we just have to trust this is a good place and people won't be assholes about reading leaks and posting as "predictions." At this point though, it would be hard for even those people to know what is real or not.

I'm trying to get back on my happy horse, but I lost a chunk of faith with GAF after the last episode leaked. Lots of members posting "predictions" that nailed the episode on the head. I went ahead and watched the episode early, so they were sticking out like sore thumbs after-the-fact. I started emailing some of their posts to myself just so I could keep track and remember who was saying what. Just...a shame. I'd like to give benefit of the doubt and say some were just really good at figuring shit out, but I don't know.

Bah. I'll get over it. It was a small few.

This is my fear. I don't think of myself as some sort of oracle, but I might get lucky, and here on GAF, posters are (rightfully) held to a higher standard, and I respect the opinions and thoughts contained herein. It would not be an issue had the leaks not happened.

I am still happy to speak on more popular theories, though. For example, the waif theory. I will shoot that down like a dragon with ice spears of logic until the end.

Is there any hope of writers ever addressing the reasons why it has taken years for WW to arrive at the Wall?

Yes, people will say "they were waiting for Winter to arrive".

I am sorry this doesnt cut it for me. What does it mean "they were waiting for winter to come?".

What kind of temperature are we talking about? - 50 celcious or something? If it took them 6 years to get near the wall, because they waited for winter, then when are they going to reach Kings Landing? Obviously never...

I mean what exactly is preventing northern folk to migrate in southern parts and just wait for winter to pass and the WW to go back to the North? It really is bugging the hell out of me and no I cannot accept the vague "they wait for winter", nor the fact that not even a single character in 6 years has even questioned "what is taking them so god damn long?".
The walls magic prevents them crossing.
They've just been waiting for a dragon to hitch a ride on. If it wasn't for Dany they wouldnt have even been a threat.

Heshinsi

giphy.gif

I am so disappointed with you guys right now.

Goodstyle

I would be so devastated if Sansa, Bran, Sam, Gilly, Theon, Yara, and all the Maestors at the Citadel died. Please HBO, don't break my heart.

Characters they definitely won't kill IMO:
Sansa
Sam
Gilly

Characters they might killer:
Bran
The Maesters
Yara

Character that is 100% gonna die:
Theon

When Theon finally dies, he'll be happy about it. It'll be a heroic sacrifice or something.

Don't watch the show, but just thought you all might enjoy this.

Man, even the onion going in on them. Really though, this season isn't that bad is it? Am I going to hate it when I do a series rewatch because as it stands I'm still really enjoying this season regardless of it's flaws.

But I don't remember this show ever getting shit on this hard, not even season 5 and that has some stinkers.

Don't watch the show, but just thought you all might enjoy this.

giphy.gif

Man, even the onion going in on them. Really though, this season isn't that bad is it? Am I going to hate it when I do a series rewatch because as it stands I'm still really enjoying this season regardless of it's flaws.

But I don't remember this show ever getting shit on this hard, not even season 5 and that has some stinkers.

No it most certainly isn't that bad. It's been shaky but nowhere near as bad as some say.

Vashetti

Banned
Man, even the onion going in on them. Really though, this season isn't that bad is it? I'm I going to hate it when I do a series rewatch because as it stands I'm still really enjoying this season regardless of it's flaws.

This latest episode in particular is really divisive. Loads of people picking up on 'teleporting' characters.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This season's reception has been incredibly positive until the latest episode. If the finale finishes strong, this season is a major win IMO.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
While I've been vocal about people acting like the "teleporting" doesn't make sense, I do think that they needed to have ten episodes like normal and not because we need scenes for travel or whatever, but just so we can have more dialogue and character building scenes.

It won't happen but I wish this would let them know that season 8 needs ten episodes.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I think this season will be remeberbed a lot like season 5, a bad season with one episode that will go down as one of the best in the show.

Hardhome single handedly saved season 5, The Spoils of War isnt as good as Hardhome was.

Rixxan

The show is at peak hysteria in terms of pop culture impact - everyone is watching it now

The story is also well beyond the books now

It's not strange that the conversation is loaded and every scene is picked apart

Agreed that last couple eps have some logic gaps but also feel that if the finale is strong this season will be overall a positive

I think this season will be remeberbed like season 5, a bad season with one episode that will go down as one of the best in the show.

If the finale is good I think it's still well ahead of 5 - we shall see

Heshinsi

I don't even get the time issue. It's mostly the same group of people who couldn't wrap their heads around Varys being at Dorne, and then being on Dany's flagship at the end of the last season's finale.

Einchy

This season's reception has been incredibly positive until the latest episode. If the finale finishes strong, this season is a major win IMO.

I honestly think that this episode would've been received like past event episodes if we hadn't cut back to Winterfell so much. More of the build up to the battle and less cutting back to an okay sub-plot could've done wonders.

Vashetti

Banned
I didn't even get the time issue. It's mostly the same group of people who couldn't wrap their heads around Varys being at Dorne, and then being on Dany's flagship at the end of the last season's finale.

Oh didn't you get the memo?

That was two different Varys. One's a faceless man.

Einchy

Speaking of the final, I think this one will be a really different final than we've ever had. Usually we have a ton of different storylines that each can have a big twist or cliffhanger for the next season but right now we only have Winterfell, King's Landing and Dany/Jon's, so anything eventful that happens has to happen to a lot of characters and not just the main character of their plotline.

I mean, I try to see where some are coming from regarding the "teleporting" characters but it just doesn't matter imo. The show always had chronological issues, not to mention time, distance and measurements don't even make sense in this series.

My issue with the past episode is that there should've been some lines indicating how long they were at the island.
I remember them leaving Eastwatch with backpacks which must have had food and other provisions/supplies.
Jorah standing about the island mentioning that they've run out or something would've been cool, something like "it's been days since we left Eastwatch and we've used the last of our provisions"(something like that but more tailored to the character and much better written). It's just a nitpick but something I thought about.

Same with Dragonglass, it's clear that they were armed with daggers. Should have mentioned it.

Heshinsi

So why exactly couldn't they run back to the wall with Gendry? The zombies aren't shown to have superhuman speed, so why run towards the no exit zone?

Einchy

So why exactly couldn't they run back to the wall with Gendry? The zombies aren't shown to have superhuman speed, so why run towards the no exit zone?

They pretty much caught up to them just running from the lake to the rock.

Vashetti

Banned

To have an action scene where the Night King gets a Zombie Dragon.

D&D have things they want to happen, and they'll do whatever to make that happen. They've literally stated this.

“Creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen."

There's no way they could do that, not with the wight, not with the older dudes like Jorah and The Hound...

Gendry hardly made it back and he wasn't carrying anything and he's probably the youngest and fittest of the bunch.

The wights are also pretty damn fast, remember them steamrolling at Hardhome?

Heshinsi

Probably cause they were carrying the wight and Thoros.

They pretty much caught up to them just running from the lake to the rock.

But we're still talking about human bodies here. There's no indication that the zombies can suddenly sprint at super human speeds. One minute you can see a rolling avalanche thingy far off in the distance, next minute there's a horde on their backs. Forget the time stuff, it's things like that that make me roll my eyes. Them attacking the bear like it's a turn based RPG, Tyrion suddenly being a myopic fuck, and the sudden closing of the distance of the zombies are just so jarring.

There's no way they could do that, not with the wight, not with the older dudes like Jorah and The Hound...

Gendry hardly made it back and he wasn't carrying anything and he's probably the youngest and fittest of the bunch.

The wights are also pretty damn fast, remember them steamrolling at Hardhome?

I thought it was just the wave attacks that made them so dangerous.

Realistically, they had a huge lead on them, and poof that lead disappeared.

Top Bottom