• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Well that's not really true. Cersei destroyed a building with wildfire. A building full of her enemies that wanted her dead is no city full of innocents.

She didn't just kill her enemies, though, that room was full of innocent people, their uncle and the explosion seemed to destroy multiple buildings surrounding the main building. Cersei probably killed hundreds of innocents.

Don't worry I got you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFELQv3yWFI

She loved him, cared for him, and he treated her like shit. All of it shown in one small clip.

Yeah, I brought up that scene in another post.

Then later we see him being murdered in front of her and she does nothing or seems to really show any emotion towards what just happened.

Can't wait to see what Jamie does. He betrayed his oath as a member of the Kingsguard because The Mad King was going to use wildfire to destroy King's Landing to end the rebellion. Now he's got his sister, who he loves, who just did the same thing. Will he stab her in the back in order to protect the kingdom?

He'll have to get through The Mountain first, and that's a tall order for one handed Jaime. He better not bring Bronn into this either, since I can see the Mountain pulling an Oberyn on him.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
She didn't just kill her enemies, though, that room was full of innocent people, their uncle and the explosion seemed to destroy multiple buildings surrounding the main building. Cersei probably killed hundreds of innocents.

Then later we see him being murdered in front of her and she does nothing or seems to really show any emotion towards what just happened.

Ahh, that tends to happen when your brother is an abusive cunt who beats you, and then threatens to cut your baby out of your belly. Why do people not get this lol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdPxphJ13sM

Yeah, why didn't Dany stand up for this guy? He didn't want to hurt her. She protected him for so long, he would have eventually killed her.

Cersei's storyline this season was probably the strongest this season.

Arya's storyline was the worst. Too many extraneous scenes. There were like 3 different scenes of Arya getting beat by sticks.

Off-screening the Waif was disappointing. Lots of logic jumping like Arya being alive after those stabs and falling in the river. And then being able to run around like assassin from AC. And it culminates with "Now you are truly no one". Makes absolute no sense. Arya killing the Waif in self-defense doesn't prove anything.

Everything in Arya's story could've been done in half the number of scenes. It feels like everything was lengthened so her teleporting to kill Walder was in the finale. That needed a bit more build up like establishing that Arya was in Westeros for instance. I know the show wants me to accept it but if I do then I'll have to accept scenes like Arya teleporting to Cersei's side and stabbing her in the throat without any warning.

Say what you will about Arya, but her storyline ultimately paid off when she killed
.....Walder Frey.....
. The Faceless God/Jaquen Storyline obviously served a purpose because Arya now has the ability to change faces––this is clearly going to lead to something bigger than revenge in my opinion.

I do agree that some of the S6 Arya scenes were clunky but I think some of that is intentional.

qcf x2

Calling it now; Dany dies first episode of season 7.

Would be great, but 0% chance.

Outside of Tywin and Littlefinger Cersei is the best the we've seen. And yes I'm including Tyrion. What has he done that's on the level of her destroying Robert & Ned in the first season before seamlessly bringing the Crown under her Lannister control, or her master stroke to seize power for herself in the finale this season? She's won The Game of Thrones, TWICE. That her flaws bite her in the ass doesn't change the fact she's able to play at the very highest level.

Exactly. I despise Cersei but she's been the best at the game. With that said, she plainly went too far and everybody knows it. As a despot she's not going to last very long. Her army hates her, her people hate her, the other noble houses hate her, other nations hate her, etc. Her only allies are the maester dude and the mutant mountain.

In an alternate timeline I would love to have seen Cersei square off vs Ramsay. Both master manipulators.

Einchy

Ahh, that tends to happen when your brother is an abusive cunt who beats you, and then threatens to cut your baby out of your belly. Why do people not get this lol?

What? That's exactly my point, you just described why I've always found it weird that she'd name one of her children after the man who did everything you wrote.

[edit]

It's like you're agreeing with me but are trying to prove that we're both wrong at the same time. I don't get it.

-griffy-

Banned

I think him being a total ass to her kind of started only towards the end there. They went through a slow role reversal throughout the first season, and he couldn't handle the fact he became the weak sibling. He was still a big part of her life, with his death being the first big act on her path of becoming the true Targaryen ruler/conqueror she is now. Naming one of her dragons after him reminds her where she began.

Heshinsi

What? That's exactly my point, you just described why I've always found it weird that she'd name one of her children after the man who did everything you wrote.

[edit]

It's like you're agreeing with me but are trying to prove that we're both wrong at the same time. I don't get it.

Huh? So what are we talking about here I'm so confused?

Edit: I remember now. You said something about how there wasn't any scenes showing us that she cared for him. I posted a video showing she did.

Einchy

Huh? So what are we talking about here I'm so confused?

>I find it weird she'd name one of her dragons after a person she hated since he abused her

>I say maybe the idea was that she sorta still loved her brother even though we only ever saw one scene where she kinda liked him. IE the dinner scene

>You reply with the dinner scene and say "She loved him, cared for him, and he treated her like shit. All of it shown in one small clip."

>I tell you I already brought up this scene as the only scene where we see her show any sort of affection towards him.

>I bring up that that one scene can't be proof enough that she loved him because we later see her not care about him being murdered.

>You try to argue why she didn't care about him being murdered, EI: the abuse and whatnot, which is my whole entire point.

Atlantis

When they brought the army to go collect Margery by force and stop her walk of shame she had agreed the deal with the High Septom to basically make him a co-ruler and then she convinced or actively allowed Tommen to ban trial by combat (therefore sentencing Cercei to death). Probably betrayal is the wrong word because they were never really allies, but the Tyrells via Margery schemed openly to have Cercie killed.

There's really no proof that Margaery had anything to do with Tommen banning Trial by Combat. (Was she even in the throne room for the announcement?) I'd bet that Kevan and the High Sparrow had more to do with it. I doubt the Tyrells really gave a shit about screwing over Cersei near the end, they just wanted to get Margaery and Loras free of the Faith.

The Tyrells didn't really do anything to Cersei (that she's aware of) besides threatening her power over Tommen and making some cracks at her loss of power. Cersei schemed to get Margaery and Loras thrown in prison because of it, there's no way you can blame Olenna for scoffing at her offer of an alliance after that. They definitely didn't deserve to die because of that refusal.

Cersei may have "won" the battle here, but in her current position she's very quickly going to lose the war. She may be a good game player in the sense that she's able to eliminate enemies, but her ability to wield and keep the power she's won is very suspect. She has an incredible lack of foresight.

Einchy

I think him being a total ass to her kind of started only towards the end there. They went through a slow role reversal throughout the first season, and he couldn't handle the fact he became the weak sibling. He was still a big part of her life, with his death being the first big act on her path of becoming the true Targaryen ruler/conqueror she is now. Naming one of her dragons after him reminds her where she began.

Ah, see, this makes sense.

Maybe the first time we saw them is when he started being a total asshole her? Maybe they both had a good relationship before all of this Drogo stuff?

Black_Sun

Say what you will about Arya, but her storyline ultimately paid off when she killed
.....Walder Frey.....
. The Faceless God/Jaquen Storyline obviously served a purpose because Arya now has the ability to change faces––this is clearly going to lead to something bigger than revenge in my opinion.

I do agree that some of the S6 Arya scenes were clunky but I think some of that is intentional.

I don't think a badly written storyline justifies a pay off no matter how good it was.

And in this case, it felt like a pretty random climax.

Last time we saw Arya she was at Braavos. The next time we see her she's just off-screen'd two of Walder Frey's sons and slashes Walder's throat.

They went for the surprise rather than showing us precisely how Arya's skills as an assassin has grown. This was a good opportunity for that.

And I can't take the show's word for it that Arya is such a good assassin now when she got stabbed several times in the stomach by the Waif cosplaying as the evil old lady from Snow White.

It's funny but Arya's basically turned into Dexter now.

Now what I'm wondering is if the writers realize this or if they want our sympathies to actually be behind her creepy fuck as she is.

Nameless

Her children are all dead. And she's essentially the Queen of the Westerlands and King's Landing as the armies of all the other kingdoms that hate her come in at her. That's not winning.

She never stood a chance against the prophecy and accepted that. Also the Kingdoms having been fractured since episode 7, No one was going to be the sole ruler of all of it.

Who's going to feed them and pay their debts now that she pissed off the Tyrells?

No point winning the throne if you can't hold it.

The Master of Coin just died in a fire, how am I supposed to know these things!? Seriously though she'd be just as screwed if it were only Dany and the Martells. The other issues aren't unsolvable. That she happens to be in a situation where she won't hold it due to a super army and three flying nukes doesn't diminish the act of taking it.

Heshinsi

>I find it weird she'd name one of her dragons after a person she hated since he abused her

>I say maybe the idea was that she sorta still loved her brother even though we only ever saw one scene where she kinda liked him. IE the dinner scene

>You reply with the dinner scene and say "She loved him, cared for him, and he treated her like shit. All of it shown in one small clip."

>I tell you I already brought up this scene as the only scene where we see her show any sort of affection towards him.

>I bring up that that one scene can't be proof enough that she loved him because we later see her not care about him being murdered.

>You try to argue why she didn't care about him being murdered, EI: the abuse and whatnot, which is my whole entire point.

Ok I'm on caught up now lol. Yeah it must have something to do with her still remembering that regardless of how awful Viserys was to her, he was still the only family she ever had. Maybe things weren't always so bad with him :/

I don't think a badly written storyline justifies a pay off no matter how good it was.

And in this case, it felt like a pretty random climax.

Last time we saw Arya she was at Braavos. The next time we see her she's just off-screen'd two of Walder Frey's sons and slashes Walder's throat.

They went for the surprise rather than showing us how precisely how Arya's skills as an assassin has grown. This was a good opportunity for that.

And I can't take the show's word for it that Arya is such a good assassin now when she got stabbed several times in the stomach by the Waif cosplaying as the evil old lady from Snow White.
This bolded part I agree with so much. And her reveal was so boring....I understood what they were going for, but it fell completely flat to me. I was kind of like "All right....let's move on."

Outside of Tywin and Littlefinger Cersei is the best the we've seen. And yes I'm including Tyrion. What has he done that's on the level of her destroying Robert & Ned in the first season before seamlessly bringing the Crown under her Lannister control, or her master stroke to seize power for herself in the finale this season? She's won The Game of Thrones, TWICE. That her flaws bite her in the ass doesn't change the fact she's able to play at the very highest level.
Cersei has failed so many times that its comical at this point. She got Robert killed, but only out of desperation because she realized how close Ned was to revealing her secret she couldn't keep quiet. And she did a good job of un-equipping Ned and taking care of him, except she didn't want him dead. She was too blind to see her son is a psycho, and he killed Ned against her wishes. So she screwed up there. And her master stroke at the end of the season wasn't supposed to get Tommen killed, so she fucked up there too. She is great at plotting, but she can't manage to see more than 1-2 steps ahead.

Atlantis

She never stood a chance against the prophecy and accepted that. Also the Kingdoms having been fractured since episode 7, No one was going to be the sole ruler of all of it.

If that was true, she wouldn't have had Gregor keep Tommen from the sept. It was definitely a fail on her part. Of course the kingdom was already fractured, but she managed to fracture it further and remove the main source of provisions and infantry from her kingdom.

Cersei has failed so many times that its comical at this point. She got Robert killed, but only out of desperation because she realized how close Ned was to revealing her secret she couldn't keep quiet. And she did a good job of un-equipping Ned and taking care of him, except she didn't want him dead. She was too blind to see her son is a psycho, and he killed Ned against her wishes. So she screwed up there. And her master stroke at the end of the season wasn't supposed to get Tommen killed, so she fucked up there too. She is great at plotting, but she can't manage to see more than 1-2 steps ahead.

Not to mention her "master stroke" was only necessary because of a situation that she put herself in.

Einchy

ZmoZqgj.jpg

qcf x2

Ah, see, this makes sense.

Maybe the first time we saw them is when he started being a total asshole her? Maybe they both had a good relationship before all of this Drogo stuff?

I'm slowly reading book 1 now, and
they get along well enough. She also expected they would marry and make babies, so the gross sibling touching in the show isn't quite as nefarious in that context.

Nameless

It was either put Joffrey in power or they all die, he was literally the only option. She didn't create the rules of succession. And outside of psychic powers no one could have anticipated him going off book at the last second after he'd agreed to follow the game plan her and Varys put in place. Counting this as her failure is pretty flimsy.

She'd accepted his death already, it was going to happen whatever she did. And in reality, though it wasnt her intent, him dying took her end game from puppet master to master.

Her biggest mistake was underestimating the High Sparrow as a threat to the point of completely dropping her guard, but even there, the moves she made to dispatch Margeary and put herself back in a position of influence were masterful. Again the flaws don't negate the talent.

If that was true, she wouldn't have had Gregor keep Tommen from the sept. It was definitely a fail on her part. Of course the kingdom was already fractured, but she managed to fracture it further and remove the main source of provisions and infantry from her kingdom.

Sure she would have. Her son being doomed didn't mean she'd murder him herself.

boxter432

Its reairing on HBO right now.

Couple things so far.
The first words qyburn says to Pycell sound like a different voice entirely. Its bizarre. Like a possessed little girl In a horror movie. Then his next sentences are normal.
Qyburn is the hand of the king for some reason Him and a pile of little kids are cerseis army lol. depending on what Jamie does as lannister army captain.

Also, know the directing has already been cheered. Noticing little things like when davos was speaking about shireen, how the window and light reflected on his face, while Jon snow, darkness or a torch were always behind meli. Just awesome little things that add up slowly without being in your face.

Feminist should be loving Game of Thrones.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but women currently control or have a very strong influence 80% of the 7 Kingdoms. And that's not including the Mother of Dragons creeping over the horizon.

Girl Power!

Dai101

Banned
Feminist should be loving Game of Thrones.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but women currently control or have a very strong influence 80% of the 7 Kingdoms. And that's not including the Mother of Dragons creeping over the horizon.

Girl Power!

And how the youngest managed to shame and school a room full of veteran and seasoned Lords.

-griffy-

Banned
Here's an overlooked moment from the finale that I think is a really nice and appropriate little character moment, especially for this specific character:
Y4JuKQ1.gif

Theon seeing the winds change as they set sail.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
What did the drawing of the flower that the queen gave her grandmother signify?

Atlantis

Sure she would have. Her son being doomed didn't mean she'd murder him herself.

Cersei's actions were what drove Tommen (literally, hue hue hue) over the edge. Obviously she didn't physically murder him, but she's definitely not blameless for his death.

Her biggest mistake was underestimating the High Sparrow as a threat to the point of completely dropping her guard, but even there, the moves she made to dispatch Margeary and put herself back in a position of influence were masterful. Again the flaws don't negate the talent.

You're completely understating just what a massive mistake this really was though. Her lack of foresight got herself thrown in jail, tortured, paraded through the streets naked, and she ended up having to murder hundreds of people to free herself from her own mistake. Her trump card was successful, yes, but the fact she was so up against the wall hat she needed to do it is telling enough.

Edit: Ahh double post. :(

So what was Margery's master plan? I kept waiting for it ever since she held her brother in prison.

But then Margery got Cersei'ed into a green oblivion. So I'm still wondering what Margery's end game was. I thought for sure she had a plan to overthrow the sparrows.

Palpable

Seriously, what can Cersei possibly do now? She's the queen of... basically just Kings Landing. Most the other kingdoms don't give a shit. On top of all that, she has Dany's massive army consisting of Dothraki, Unsullied, Tyrells, Martells, 3 dragons, and a bunch of Iron Born. There is no way the Lannisters have nearly enough men to combat them. In just about every situation/angle you look at this from, the Lannisters are absolutely fucked. She has no real move here.

So what was Margery's master plan? I kept waiting for it ever since she held her brother in prison.

But then Margery got Cersei'ed into a green oblivion. So I'm still wondering what Margery's end game was. I thought for sure she had a plan to overthrow the sparrows.

I assumed that she was going to do exactly what Jaime tried to do. As soon as Loras was back in Tyrell hands, she would have her forces storm the Sept and either kill them all, or imprison them like they did her.

Tommen was easily influenced, so she could have said that it was for the good of the realm and he would have bought it.

boxter432

Yeah would have been interesting to see. Was it to.eventually have the Tyrell and Lannister army destroy the sparrows? (Since Jamie would probably be on board) was it.to escape to highgarden with loras? Escape and then round up dorne (as olenna did) and attack kings landing? Etc... She was a clever schemer and knew to escape the sept. But...Couldn't. RIP Mace the Ace.

And just want to reiterate that Lyanna mormont is the best ever.

Sansa smirks after Lyanna says "we know no king.but the king of the north whos name is stark" and I'm pretty sure its bc she's blown away with lady mormonts awesomeness.

And just want to reiterate that Lyanna mormont is the best ever.

Sansa smirks after Lyanna says "we know no king.but the king of the north whos name is stark" and I'm pretty sure its bc she's blown away with lady mormonts awesomeness.

This x 1000.

And I want to reiterate how awesome the female characters were this season. They were very strong characters but in different ways and it never felt forced. I pointed out to my wife the rising power of women in the series and she hadn't really noticed since it all happened in the flow of the story and felt organic.

Here's an overlooked moment from the finale that I think is a really nice and appropriate little character moment, especially for this specific character:
Y4JuKQ1.gif

Theon seeing the winds change as they set sail.

I really hope Grey Worm helps get Theon's shit together. He's part of a force that consists of proud, elite eunuchs, I'm sure they can help snap Theon out of his slump.

Theon's an ass, but I love him.

Nameless

Cersei's actions were what drove Tommen (literally, hue hue hue) over the edge. Obviously she didn't physically murder him, but she's definitely not blameless for his death.

Sure, theres an even darker reading that she knew full well how fragile he was and how uttetly devestated he would be and left him alone specifically to tempt the prophecy. He locked himself in his room and starved himself when she and Margaery were imprisoned, what would this drive him to? But even that's a far cry from killing him or ordering his death directly.

You're completely understating just what a massive mistake this really was though. Her lack of foresight got herself thrown in jail, tortured, paraded through the streets naked, and she ended up having to murder hundreds of people to free herself from her own mistake. Her trump card was successful, yes, but the fact she was so up against the wall hat she needed to do it is telling enough.

Edit: Ahh double post. :(

How's calling it her biggest mistake understating how big of a mistake it was? She fucked up. She fucked up astronomically. But it's also telling that even though hubris, arrogance, if not good ole fashioned seething rage often compounds her situation, she always has the ability to dig herself out of whatever hole. It's no accident she's survived this long.

Loxley

One thing that occurred to me was that there was no moment of violence or sex that I can remember from this season that struck me as being shocking for the sake of being shocking. All of the intense moments felt earned and justified within the context of the show, which is another improvement over last season IMO.

FStubbs

Seriously, what can Cersei possibly do now? She's the queen of... basically just Kings Landing. Most the other kingdoms don't give a shit. On top of all that, she has Dany's massive army consisting of Dothraki, Unsullied, Tyrells, Martells, 3 dragons, and a bunch of Iron Born. There is no way the Lannisters have nearly enough men to combat them. In just about every situation/angle you look at this from, the Lannisters are absolutely fucked. She has no real move here.

Assuming Jamie and the Lannisters don't up and go home. She did kill off Kevan and Lancel after all.

Black_Sun

One thing that occurred to me was that there was no moment of violence or sex that I can remember from this season that struck me as being shocking for the sake of being shocking. All of the intense moments felt earned and justified within the context of the show, which is another improvement over last season IMO.

Walda Frey and her baby being fed to the dogs?

And I'd say Arya's Frey pies also nearly fit into that category as well

Black_Sun

That's probably one reason why next season is only 7 episodes. Cersei is about to get curb stomped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom