• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

So what was Margery's master plan? I kept waiting for it ever since she held her brother in prison.

But then Margery got Cersei'ed into a green oblivion. So I'm still wondering what Margery's end game was. I thought for sure she had a plan to overthrow the sparrows.

I'm sure she did. Just like Robb had a plan to take Casterly Rock. Shit happens

I think her plan was to have Loras go through the motions and skip town and then ignore his renounced titles etc. She was pissed that he was mutilated

zsynqx

ZmoZqgj.jpg

He is so doing the series finale.

casiopao

And just want to reiterate that Lyanna mormont is the best ever.

Sansa smirks after Lyanna says "we know no king.but the king of the north whos name is stark" and I'm pretty sure its bc she's blown away with lady mormonts awesomeness.

And considering how all of us love the Oscar girl, we are going to get screwed next season when LF chooses to slayed her in the most terrible way after she trolled his plan.T_T........GoT!!!!!

Black_Sun

As long as that baby was around, Ramsay's claim was worthless, it had to die.

I thought it was obvious but I was objecting to "being fed to the dogs" part not the death part.

It was kinda stupid for something you're trying to keep hidden by doing it in front of everyone at Winterfell.

He could've just had them silently killed and then have them fed them to the dogs afterward when no one was around.

One thing that occurred to me was that there was no moment of violence or sex that I can remember from this season that struck me as being shocking for the sake of being shocking. All of the intense moments felt earned and justified within the context of the show, which is another improvement over last season IMO.

Wart penis had a bunch of people complaining that it was just that.

Loke13

Outside of Tywin and Littlefinger Cersei is the best the we've seen. And yes I'm including Tyrion. What has he done that's on the level of her destroying Robert & Ned in the first season before seamlessly bringing the Crown under her Lannister control, or her master stroke to seize power for herself in the finale this season? She's won The Game of Thrones, TWICE. That her flaws bite her in the ass doesn't change the fact she's able to play at the very highest level.
You're sipping that Cersei tea little to hard. If she was winning she wouldn't be in the position she is right now. Her lack of foresight is a pretty glaring flaw in her character that prevents from ever being a great player of politics. She alienated all her allie and made enemies of them. The Lannister/Crown are broke. Their only real military force is the Lannister army, and shes' surrounded on all sides by her enemies.

Killing the Sparrows and the Tyrells didn't really accomplish anything. She's Queen in name only. She's basically in the same postiton she was at the start of the season, imminent death.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
You're sipping that Cersei tea little to hard. If she was winning she wouldn't be in the position she is right now. Her lack of foresight is a pretty glaring flaw in her character that prevents from ever being a great player of politics. She alienated all her allie and made enemies of them. The Lannister/Crown are broke. Their only real military force is the Lannister army, and shes' surrounded on all sides by her enemies.

Killing the Sparrows and the Tyrells didn't really accomplish anything. She's Queen in name only. She's basically in the same postiton she was at the start of the season, imminent death.

I like the points you make.

KUY6f.gif

I will however point out that she is likely to get Euron as an ally.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I have a feeling she's going to have a tough time with her people. Sailing home with the descendants of her islands' conquerors and telling them they have to behave.

You guys are so hung up on this "they won't behave" angle. Perhaps these people's why of life was dictated to them by their leaders. Yara has been shown as someone who is highly thought of and respected by her men and people. Also, if people couldn't change, why haven't the Wildings raped, butchered, and cannibalised (Thenn) everyone in the north yet? I mean Tormund wipes out villages, but we're cool with him now though right?

Atlantis

Olenna actually perfectly laid out Cersei's situation when Cersei came to her for an alliance. Cersei's situation hasn't changed at all since then, in fact she's worse off because Jaime is probably going to actively work against her instead of just being absent.

Will the Iron Bank ever kick ass? They are spoken of as a force NOBODY can out power. It would be funny if as we wait for Dany to get to Kings Landing with her Army the Iron Bank steps in and clears everything out before they even arrive.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Will the Iron Bank ever kick ass? They are spoken of as a force NOBODY can out power. It would be funny if as we wait for Dany to get to Kings Landing with her Army the Iron Bank steps in and clears everything out before they even arrive.

That would be amazing to see an army of repo men taking shit out of the Red Keep in boxes.

Echoplx

I'm surprised they didn't bankroll Daenerys

I really hope Grey Worm helps get Theon's shit together. He's part of a force that consists of proud, elite eunuchs, I'm sure they can help snap Theon out of his slump.

Theon's an ass, but I love him.

Grey Worm has no balls but has a dick. Theon has balls but no dick.

I feel that is an important distinction. Basically, Grey Worm's sexual desires are either non-existent or greatly reduced. Theon still wants to bone women but can't do a damn thing.

Didn't the first faceless men establish Braavos and the Iron Bank? Or did I misremember that?

If so then the faceless men have trained up Arya and sent her off to go kill the shit birds infesting Westeros. Perhaps that was their plan after all.

Black_Sun

You guys are so hung up on this "they won't behave" angle. Perhaps these people's why of life was dictated to them by their leaders. Yara has been shown as someone who is highly thought of and respected by her men and people. Also, if people couldn't change, why haven't the Wildings raped, butchered, and cannibalised (Thenn) everyone in the north yet? I mean Tormund wipes out villages, but we're cool with him now though right?

It's part of their culture. No matter how respected she is, she will face massive resistance to the idea of changing.

And all the Thenns are dead.

Guys, I'm under so much pressure here :) Everybody wants me to watch the series and even I want to watch them, but I wanted to read the books first.

So in short will I destroy the enjoyment of reading the books by watching this show?

Monocle

Hey you guys, I can't wait for this week's GoT episode! How about you?

Oh shit.

Guys, I'm under so much pressure here :) Everybody wants me to watch the series and even I want to watch them, but I wanted to read the books first.

So in short will I destroy the enjoyment of reading the books by watching this show?
Yes, if you're even slightly interested in reading the books, do that first. They have better versions of most major scenes in the show. You will get a lot more insight into the characters, and some really cool prequelish stuff that informs the current story, which the show unfortunately had to omit (for the sake of streamlining, I assume).

Also, the show straight up ruins most of the great material it adapts for seasons 4 and 5. Especially 4's finale, ugh. Don't worry though, Season 6 (which moves ahead of the books for the first time) is immensely better.

duckroll

It's part of their culture. No matter how respected she is, she will face massive resistance to the idea of changing.

And all the Thenns are dead.

Fear is an excellent motivator. When the war is over, and all those who follow Euron are dead, those who remain will see it in their best interest to change. Culture doesn't mean jack shit in fiction where the hand of the author if god's will.

takriel

One thing that occurred to me was that there was no moment of violence or sex that I can remember from this season that struck me as being shocking for the sake of being shocking. All of the intense moments felt earned and justified within the context of the show, which is another improvement over last season IMO.
but the penis though

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Remember that scene where two people were fucking, it zooms out and we see that a guy is watching them while getting a BJ, then it zooms out and Littlefinger is watching and then a bit later a LF wipes off cum from a hooker's mouth then she kisses a guy?

RIP that, Game of Thrones might as well be on a Christian Channel now.

Fliesen

It seemed fairly clear that her plan was more to route around them than overthrow them. Get the Sparrow sort of on her side, make a big show of how pious she is, get her brother and the rest of her family safe. Then when her position is stronger, slowly undermine them until they're no longer a threat. This would be pretty in line with her past behavior. Slow undermining was what she was doing to Cersei before all the Sparrow stuff kicked off. It was just too bad she didn't anticipate Cersei would react so disproportionately with a head-on assault against her family.

Aye.
Margaery was all about always siding with whoever is on top.
She was betrothed to Renly, when his claim on the throne seemed to be the most realistic one. She was married to both Joffrey and Tommen. She made the poor of King's Landing fall in love with her by feigning altruism.

Since she couldn't "marry" the high sparrow, she sided with him and wanted her brother to do the same thing.
She always chose to side with whoever was on the rise / on top.

Her long game plan might have been setting up herself or Loras as a higher up among the faith militant, who knows.
Sadly, all her eggs wer in that one basket, and that basket got blown up.

Black_Sun

Fear is an excellent motivator. When the war is over, and all those who follow Euron are dead, those who remain will see it in their best interest to change. Culture doesn't mean jack shit in fiction where the hand of the author if god's will.

Sure but we're talking in Watsonian terms not Doylist terms.

I'm trying to assume good writing would rule the day here.

Also this all depends on whether Daenerys lives or not. If she dies or her dragons die, the ironborn won't change for squat.

Monocle

Remember that scene where two people were fucking, it zooms out and we see that a guy is watching them while getting a BJ, then it zooms out and Littlefinger is watching and then a bit later a LF wipes off cum from a hooker's mouth then she kisses a guy?

RIP that, Game of Thrones might as well be on a Christian Channel now.
I like to think the show has grown beyond puerile boundary pushing. As explicit as the books are, some of the sex and gore in the show felt shoehorned to me. Look how well this latest season told its stories without showing Ramsay skin bits of Rickon or Yara bang wenches.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really need to get to the bottom of what the fuck happened between Ep01 leading into Ep09/10, because the overall direction, cinematography, score, performances, etc are just so much fucking better and more adherent to high level cinematic standards it's just utterly bewildering how a difference exists in the first place. Both Ep09/10 have such a stricter cohesion between all facets of the cinematic medium to bring performances, framing, score, and narrative together. It's out-of-this-world good compared to an overwhelming majority of the entire fucking series.

I can't put it down to just talent, because these guys and gals have worked on other episodes before. Time? Luck? Budget? Maybe just a perfect storm of all the right pieces coming together. Because man, few if any episodes across all sixty come together with such completion as those last two.

royalan

I really need to get to the bottom of what the fuck happened between Ep01 leading into Ep09/10, because the overall direction, cinematography, score, performances, etc are just so much fucking better and more adherent to high level cinematic standards it's just utterly bewildering how a difference exists in the first place. Both Ep09/10 have such a stricter cohesion between all facets of the cinematic medium to bring performances, framing, score, and narrative together. It's out-of-this-world good compared to an overwhelming majority of the entire fucking series.

I can't put it down to just talent, because these guys and gals have worked on other episodes before. Time? Luck? Budget? Maybe just a perfect storm of all the right pieces coming together. Because man, few if any episodes across all sixty come together with such completion as those last two.

It's simple: GoT is wrapping up.

No more go-nowhere narratives. No more dangling plotlines. No more stalling.

Season 5 (and maybe a bit of of early season 6) suffered from being a show not really knowing where its story is going. A lot of GoT up to this point has been Benioff and Weiss holding on while Martin got his shit together. LOL - good luck at that, though.

I imagine every episode from here on out is going to be tight and focused.

Markoman

Great season overall!

Creepy sadist, religious lunatic and opportunistic mouse-face all got what they deserved.

I just wonder how they're going to build up tension in the upcoming conflict. D's army is friggin huge now! What's Darth Cersei's trump card? She can't do the C4 trick anymore for sure.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

If you look at their history, there have been rulers that have mainly focused on trade and politics over reaving. (It's also basically what Yara wanted to do anyway so I don't super get her objections.) So it's certainly possible for them not to be jerks.

jediyoshi

I'd say a combination of more budget going toward these battle setpiece/finale episodes and actual director talent. Sapochnik's only other directed episodes are Hardhome and The Gift which is probably the only other episode that makes interesting use of the High Sparrow.

Nameless

That's a fun way of framing a feud both parties stoked and escalated over the past four seasons. Did Olenna not kill Cersei's first born and immediately send Margaery to ensare her last? Did Margaery not succeed in gaining complete control over Tommen and serve him up to High Sparrow? A move that ruined the military action meant to free her & Loras and end HS in one stroke. Margeary turned Cersei's son against her, and no doubt had a hand in crushing her trial by combat plans, knowing how she thinks. When Olenna realized what Margaery was doing(thanks to the Rose) and what that meant for Cersei, did she answer her desperate request for help or did she mock and insult her about how hopelessly beaten she was?

And Kevan. Fucking Kev. He fashioned himself head of the family after Tywin died and made no attempt to work with his niece. He tucked-tail back Casterly Rock only to weasel back when she was imprisoned, slither into the Hand position, and cozy up to the Tyrells-- content to let her rot.

Cersei did, however, slowly alienate Pycelle by treating him like shit, I'll give you that. But let's not pretend like defeating people actively plotting your downfall after years of feuding is the same as driving away some placid and loyal ally.

Elandyll

Banned
Walda Frey and her baby being fed to the dogs?

And I'd say Arya's Frey pies also nearly fit into that category as well
That poor prostitute who got her tits sucked right off by Yara was pretty brutal, but at least we didn't get to see it on screen, as that would have been fairly gratuitous.

sjboi

opportunistic mouse-face

haha STOP! Poor Margeary!

And I agree with Nameless regarding Cersei; she had no options. It was either kill or be killed. When seen through her perspective, her actions were ruthless but her hand was forced, so what was the queen mother to do?

Also, I keep reading variations of "Cersei is so dumb, doesn't she know she's totally screwed?" Um, there is a good chance that Cersei DOES realize how fucked she is. Surely she knows that she doesn't have any alliances worth mentioning and must develop some kind of game plan. I wonder what that plan will be? I'm kind of hoping Dark Cersei makes it all the way until the end. Maybe the white walkers will create a big enough diversion to pull Danys forces away from Kings Landing, allowing the Queen more time to plot everyone's downfall?

Volimar

More disappointing then the Cersei CGI-fest.

I wanted to see it, not (just) for the nudity, but I wouldn't have been surprised if people would have been a lot kinder for her. Imagine how it would infuriate Cersei if Margery walked through the street with everyone in reverent silence, a few even giving statements of support in stark (hehe) contrast to how Cersei was treated.

It was either put Joffrey in power or they all die, he was literally the only option. She didn't create the rules of succession. And outside of psychic powers no one could have anticipated him going off book at the last second after he'd agreed to follow the game plan her and Varys put in place. Counting this as her failure is pretty flimsy.
Honestly, she should've known her son had it in him to kill himself like that. Tommen had already done harm to himself when he starved himself after Margaery was locked up. If her getting locked up caused him to react like that...then Cersei is mental to not at least not prepare for what he might do in reaction. Like I said---she is great at the next step or 2. But she can't see very far in front of her face.

Her biggest mistake was underestimating the High Sparrow as a threat to the point of completely dropping her guard, but even there, the moves she made to dispatch Margeary and put herself back in a position of influence were masterful. Again the flaws don't negate the talent.
Masterful? Mrmm...I can't see it as masterful. She blew the hell out of a bunch of people, and made sure to wipe out the council in the process. But the high sparrow had done the hard work. He'd gathered everyone in the sept, save for one extra she needed to kill. While it was all awesome, and well-played, there wasn't anything super sneaky, smart, or tricksy about what she did. She found out wildfire was under the city, and she lit that shit up at the right moment. And her window wasn't small or anything either. To top it off, Margaery took no time at all to realize they should get out of there. If not for the almost forced stubbornness of the high sparrow, her plan would've actually failed. Then she really would've been screwed.

Zolo

It's not like it was just the Sept that got blown up. It was a good bit of the area. Even if they left when Margaery wanted to, they wouldn't have made it. All Cersei needed was knowing when they would be gathered.

It's not like it was just the Sept that got blown up. It was a good bit of the area. Even if they left when Margaery wanted to, they wouldn't have made it. All Cersei needed was knowing when they would be gathered.
Yeah, and maybe maybe that's true because the blast radius is pretty decent. I still wouldn't call her work masterful though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom