• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Question:

This most recent episode we learn that Granny Tyrell was working with Baelish to assassinate Joffrey right?

But weren't these two factions competing for Sansa? When Baelish tried to take her away last season, the Tyrells responded by trying to get Sansa married to Loras before Tywin forced Tyrion to marry her?

Why would these two work together?

Ros(busty red headed whore who worked for Baelish) informed Varys that Littlefinger had his sights set on Sansa. Weary of Baelish's growing power and influence, Varys intervenes, telling Olenna of his plans for Sansa and the two come to the obvious solution to have her wed Loras.

Cersei doesn't trust the Tyrells and tasks Littlefinger with digging up whatever dirt they might up to. Baelish discovers their plans by having his 'procurer'(the guy running the brothel in his absence who Oberyn chooses as his boy toy) seduce Loras, who spills the beans about him and Sansa during pillow talk. Baelish relays this information to Cersei, who informs Tywin, who arranges the Sansa/Tyrion and Loras/Cersei marriages in response.

Littlefinger's modus operandi is to play multiple sides, ultimately choosing the one that benefits him most. He did it with Ned, he did it with Renly, and he does it with the Tyrells. Baelish has been telling us what a treacherous liar he is from since the beginning of the series, which ironically makes him one of the most straightforward characters.

I wasn't really a big fan of Grandma Tyrell's reason for doing it. She says she didn't want her to marry a psycho. Okay, you could have atleast waited until they consumated the marriage and then even had someone else get Margery pregnant and say it was Joffrey's. That way at least she will stay queen.

Now she has to sneak all around and work her ass off to woo Tommen and if she's caught Cersei will probably have her killed.

I'm hoping there will be some third party that was involved with a better reason or something.
It's harder to catch the perp this way since any of the people in the wedding could have done it. While doing it any random day, they could find clues easier. The more potential perpetrators, the harder it is to catch.

Peagles

He was also in TDKR.

original.jpg

I feel like this dude is putting on such an unfitting voice for his face in GoT. Like he's trying way too hard to be super gruff, lol.

What's his real voice like, anyone know?

I find it rather weird that Stannis put Rob Stark's worm (forget what it was) as one of the three names. Yes, I realize that he chose Renly, his brother first but they have absolutely 0 bad blood. Rob would have easily allied with him after Renly's death IMO. Using it for Tywin and Joffrey instead would have made far more sense. Hell saying Tywin's name overall would make far more sense than stating Joffrey's...

Cyan

Banned
Stannis didn't want to ally with Robb. He didn't want a King in the North, he wanted the Starks to continue on as subservient to the crown.

Nameless

The entire mutineer sequence was extremely well done--so well done that it was unsettling to watch. Craster's daughters being raped everywhere in the frame, battered and beaten with bruises all over their bodies, their lamentations filling the room. The pile of human remains being fed to Ghost. Rast being shit on and emasculated. These downtrodden women chanting "gift to the gods" at the sight of Craster's last son. And of course Tanner's violent, drunken, self aggrandizing monologue while drinking from the skull of Jeor fuckin Mormont.

got15.gif

Madrin

Question that I've been wondering ever since the Red Wedding: why does anyone care about Sansa or who she's married to? With Winterfell overtaken and the Stark family basically destroyed, what value does Sansa have to anyone besides her remaining family?

Question that I've been wondering ever since the Red Wedding: why does anyone care about Sansa or who she's married to? With Winterfell overtaken and the Stark family basically destroyed, what value does Sansa have to anyone besides her remaining family?

Catelyn is a Tully before she married Eddard. So really Sansa has a claim to Winterfell and Riverun.

The people in Winterfell are still loyal to the Stark name so if she come back they will unite to fight for her (or that's the theory).

"Hey northmen, here's a person who actually has claim to leadership around here! You now have an option that isn't roose bolton!"

Would be realll easy to spark a rebellion with that marketing tagline.

I have a feeling that because they've setup Tommen as being a potentially fair and wise king, he's going to be killed by the end of the season. Probably in a gruesome way like a beheading.

NeoROCK

Anyone else not a fan of the spikes on the white walkers head in that episode? Getting a little bit too out there.

Other wise it was a good episode.

I just watched the last episode last night. All in all, a lower-key episode compared to the previous ones this season, but I got to see Ghost! yay!

I wasn't really a big fan of Grandma Tyrell's reason for doing it. She says she didn't want her to marry a psycho. Okay, you could have atleast waited until they consumated the marriage and then even had someone else get Margery pregnant and say it was Joffrey's. That way at least she will stay queen.

Now she has to sneak all around and work her ass off to woo Tommen and if she's caught Cersei will probably have her killed.

I'm hoping there will be some third party that was involved with a better reason or something.

Agree, agree.

I am worried for Bran and co, atm. I hope Jon will come and rescue them soon.

Grey Worm is such a beautiful man, wtf. Such an eyecandy, every time he's on screen.

I was a bit disappointed that Ser Davos' letter to the Iron Bank did not get any new update, but it's just a minor thing.

General question: I dont remember all of the episodes in the past, but have we seen a female white walker? Or are they all men because Craster only sacrifices the boy babies?

Stannis didn't want to ally with Robb. He didn't want a King in the North, he wanted the Starks to continue on as subservient to the crown.

And that greed will be his undoing. Had he allied with Robb, they would have crushed the Lannisters.
As he said, really stupid then. Robb and Stannis would have crushed the Lannisters... Now Stannis is sitting on his ass asking Davos to a pull a crown out of his arse.

I have a feeling that because they've setup Tommen as being a potentially fair and wise king, he's going to be killed by the end of the season. Probably in a gruesome way like a beheading.
I hope not, he seems like the nicest Lannister yet. :(

I was a bit disappointed that Ser Davos' letter to the Iron Bank did not get any new update, but it's just a minor thing.

General question: I dont remember all of the episodes in the past, but have we seen a female white walker? Or are they all men because Craster only sacrifices the boy babies?

I too was disappointed not to see more about what Ser Davos wrote. My guess is he's asking for a loan to buy the Golden mercenary group he was talking about, with a promise of paying the crowns debt once Stannis takes the throne.

We've seen female wights (that's the zombie ones right?), but I don't think we've seen any female walkers/elites.

Watevaman

I just watched the last episode last night. All in all, a lower-key episode compared to the previous ones this season, but I got to see Ghost! yay!

Agree, agree.

I am worried for Bran and co, atm. I hope Jon will come and rescue them soon.

Grey Worm is such a beautiful man, wtf. Such an eyecandy, every time he's on screen.

I'm wondering about the way some scenes are set up. Was Jon rallying people at the same time that the group at Craster's was capturing Bran and buddies? If so, it's a few days (didn't they say the exact mileage in the episode?) journey, so shit can definitely go down.

DarkKyo

I too was disappointed not to see more about what Ser Davos wrote. My guess is he's asking for a loan to buy the Golden mercenary group he was talking about, with a promise of paying the crowns debt once Stannis takes the throne.

We've seen female wights (that's the zombie ones right?), but I don't think we've seen any female walkers/elites.

There was that little girl with the blue eyes... does that count?

Cyan

Banned
As he said, really stupid then. Robb and Stannis would have crushed the Lannisters... Now Stannis is sitting on his ass asking Davos to a pull a crown out of his arse.

Arguably it's stupid, yes. It's another manifestation of his rigid adherence to law. Starks swore to the king-> no you don't get out of your oath just because the board has shifted and I need your help.

Yeah, I remember the female wights, but the bad-ass scrawny lichking ones had seemed like all male whitewalkers so far? Mmm... not sure. The design does remind me of those riders from Lord or the Rings, a bit.

Oh, you think its asking for a loan? I see, I see. The way the scene was set up made me think as if Ser Davos had a sneaky idea. There was a story about Braavosi' take on smugglers and pirates leading up to the letter bit. So I thought, maybe like, he wrote a letter badmouthing the Lannisters or something. Do the Lannisters have loan with the Iron Bank? Or is it the 'Baratheons' (i mean, are the 'government administration' liable for the debt or is it directly the House of Lannister?)

Anyway, I am very curious! But I think next episode we will get to see more revelation on this arc :> (which is refreshing for Ser Davos / Stannis' arc, cuz it had been one of the plots that I have been less invested in)

All the lines I can think of off the top of my head point to the government being in debt and not technically the families in power. It'd definitely be nice to see more next episode, Davos is always a delight to watch.

Yeah I want to know more about the Robed Walkers. They come across like some White Walker elder council.

ocRIXSl.jpg

13 Boss boss-battle incoming?

If they're anything like Skyrim's Dragon Priests all the Knights Watch have to do is glitch them out so they get stuck in some geometry and then just pepper them with arrows.

Showaddy

Oh, you think its asking for a loan? I see, I see. The way the scene was set up made me think as if Ser Davos had a sneaky idea. There was a story about Braavosi' take on smugglers and pirates leading up to the letter bit. So I thought, maybe like, he wrote a letter badmouthing the Lannisters or something. Do the Lannisters have loan with the Iron Bank? Or is it the 'Baratheons' (i mean, are the 'government administration' liable for the debt or is it directly the House of Lannister?)

Yeah Tyrion was bricking it last season when he found out how much Littlefinger had borrowed from the Iron Bank. Even Tywin & Olenna were talking about at Joffrey's wedding feast.

TheContact

The entire mutineer sequence was extremely well done--so well done that it was unsettling to watch. Craster's daughters being raped everywhere in the frame, battered and beaten with bruises all over their bodies, their lamentations filling the room. The pile of human remains being fed to Ghost. Rast being shit on and emasculated. These downtrodden women chanting "gift to the gods" at the sight of Craster's last son. And of course Tanner's violent, drunken, self aggrandizing monologue while drinking from the skull of Jeor fuckin Mormont.

got15.gif

I hope Tanner is drunk when he dies and Rast makes a joke about him finally losing a fight

Prototype

"A Song of Ice and Fire" is the name of the series. "A Game of Thrones" is the first book.

Season 1 and 2 more or less followed their respective novels. Season 3 and 4 cover roughly the content in book 3 but it's getting more blurred.

The showrunners plan to have either 7 or 8 seasons. GRRM has briefed Benioff and Weiss on how the series ends, should he not finish the books in time for the series to be produced. Which would be weird for book readers I imagine.

ty for the reply, I appreciate it. I haven't read the books so I'm all good w/ the show going beyond them as long as the author is on board

Nameless

If they're anything like Skyrim's Dragon Priests all the Knights Watch have to do is glitch them out so they get stuck in some geometry and then just pepper them with arrows.

haha, don't give GRRM and co. any ideas.

I hope Tanner is drunk when he dies and Rast makes a joke about him finally losing a fight

Likely since Tanner seems to drunk all the time. Didn't look like he was sharing that wine, either.

One thing that took me away from that scene was the size of the skull, it's too small (imo)

Yeah, I thought that too.

I guess. But I'd chalk that up to it having been boiled and chopped [nearly] in half.

Nameless

The real issue is how did he seal up the holes for the nose and eyes so well?

Also, the teeth look like they were carved from the skull. Maybe he bought it from Spencer's Gifts.

Hey, Daeny managed to have a gigantic Targaryen flag sewn while walking through the desert. The Frey men performed complex surgery on Robb and his direwolf in like 30 minutes. Never underestimate the craftsmanship and artistry of the people in the world.

The real question is how did he seal up the holes for the nose and eyes so well?

Also, the teeth look like they were carved from the skull. Maybe he bought it from Spencer's Gifts, and he just tells people it's Mormont's skull.

Maybe they just 3D printed the actor's skull and lopped the top off.

CLEEK

If she'd waited until the marriage has been consummated before killing Joffrey, the Tyrells would be the prime suspects. As it is, they seem to be a party that have lost a lot from it.

And as per her pre-wedding walk and talk with Tywin, she is (seemingly) setting up a financial alliance with Tywin. This will remain in place if the crown does indeed owe a fuck load load to the iron Bank. This would make Margery the ideal candidate to marry Tommen.

Curufinwe

You guys are still going on about the wedding being consumated or not. Even if Joffrey got her pregnant on his first go they would have needed to wait 9 months to see if it was boy. If it was a girl Tommen would still be the next king for the same reason he is king in waiting now ahead of his older sister, Myrcella.

Plus she would have to deal with him for 9 months.......Grandma did the right thing. That's why she asked Sansa how Joffery was really like. You know what it was probably Sansa who got Joffery killed...

JUSTICE!

I think doing it at the wedding out in the open like that just ensured that there woudl be a variety of suspects and somebody else would take the fall. If she had waited until after she A) would have had a harder time getting to Joffrey and B) ran the risk of making Maergery suspect number 1.

Madrin

Catelyn is a Tully before she married Eddard. So really Sansa has a claim to Winterfell and Riverun.

The people in Winterfell are still loyal to the Stark name so if she come back they will unite to fight for her (or that's the theory).

"Hey northmen, here's a person who actually has claim to leadership around here! You now have an option that isn't roose bolton!"

Would be realll easy to spark a rebellion with that marketing tagline.

Ah, I see. So a Stark still has influence just by virtue of being a Stark. Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom