• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ... I forget, what does a trial by combat entail ? Tyrion duking it out against someone, or picking someone else to do it (forcibly ?). I would wiki it, but I don't know what kind of spoilers would fly my way.

Out of all the deaths in the show so far, the death of Tyrion's wit and spirit is probably the most difficult for me so far. His final "Fuck you" speech just seems like a man accepting the fact that he's a dead man walking... and that's just heartbreaking for me.
That's not how I interpreted it. It was him breaking while at the same time giving a massive middle finger to his father. If he figured out what Jaime did, then he did this in a way makes sure Jaime doesn't continue to the family name even if he dies.

So ... I forget, what does a trial by combat entail ? Tyrion duking it out against someone, or picking someone else to do it (forcibly ?). I would wiki it, but I don't know what kind of spoilers would fly my way.

This exact same scenario happened at the Eyrie. That time Tyrion chose Bronn to fight for him. So yeah, I can think you can choose champions or you can just fight yourself.

Madrin

Being part of the Red Wedding which was as dishonorable as possible in that era? Sure, he takes care of his family, but it's not like he's doing it for their sakes instead of protecting his legacy. He treats Tyrion like shit, etc.

I like his character, but he deserves to die. He's not pure evil, but has done absolutely evil and dishonorable things and that's not me being subjective. He's doing it for his family's name, not for their good.

I don't know, I just saw the Red Wedding as a strategic move made by Tywin during what was shaping up to be a losing war for him. Some of the things he does may be dishonorable but they're done out of necessity, to clean up the messes made by his family.

The way he treats Tyrion is mostly indefensible, but aside from that his actions strike me as very rational and justified. Again maybe it's been too long since I've seen seasons 1-3, but I just don't see Tywin as an "evil" person.

I don't see any way where Tyrion comes out as innocent. It doesn't even matter who the Chamption is for Tyrion, Tywin is waaaaaay to good to let him go that easily and screwing over his deal with Jaime.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What?! No way. He's is on trail, being accused of a crime he didn't commit... again, this time by his own familly, his friend threw him under the bus, and the woman he loves stabbed him right in heart. Dude was in a dark place and his outburst perfectly reflected that.
Plus the betrayal is the second time that Tywin had corrupted one of the 'whores' that tyrion had fallen in love with.

GQman2121

Banned
Everything outside of the capital (besides Ayra and The Hound) bores me. I don't care about Greyjoy, the wall, white walkers, Jon Snow and at this point, I don't even care about Dany and her dragons.

Stannis and house Baratheon are interesting but only because they have a direct conflict to the Lannister occupied capital. Davos is one of--if not--the best characters on the entire program. The opening showed that in spades. I want to see more about their future plans to take claim to the throne and less from everyone else.

Juz

Good performances in this episode all around but especially Dinklage.

That Yara/Theon storyline was bullshit though. Rather they spent that time covering the trial for example.

As for the trial by combat I hope to see Oberyn vs. The Mountain.

MysticX

People saying that Shae betrayed him should think twice, she must have been apprehended when she was supposed to leave kings landing and forced to say those things to brake him. Because, like you say it´s all a farce. What I saw was a frightened woman.

Other than that, we might soon see something interesting happening with Stannis getting money from the Iron Bank!

I loved that dragon thing, I am almost certain it was shot here in Iceland, I am though not sure which waterfall that was.

Sucked that Yara couldn´t kill the bastard! He has it coming, and then she leaves him...well that´s that...can´t blame her though...still Theon´s broken.

In my opinion, Dany should not have let diqar take down his father since she serves injustice with justice and she should stick to that, otherwise what other point of view are gonna change?

No hound, no wall? I feel a sorrow in my hall!

btrboyev

Can anyone explain how Yara and her crew were able to escape? If I remember correctly, they were on the oppositie end of the exit and were blocked by Ramsey and his men left.

Sendero

Forgot to mention: Did anyone found it amusing that just a chapter before, Tywin was telling Cercei that you cannot reason with the Iron Bank, that it has no face, that it's like a temple, etc. and then comes Ser totally-not-Jean-Reno and shows everyone how to make things happen? He even got time to troll his old friend ("..gave the money to your wife.")

Bonus point for seeing Stannis so out of his element. He just sits there like a scolded child.
The red god really does work in mysterious ways.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised they would fund Stannis considering they must be aware that Dany is conquering fools like nothing and has her sights set on Westeros.

djkimothy

Good performances in this episode all around but especially Dinklage.

That Yara/Theon storyline was bullshit though. Rather they spent that time covering the trial for example.

As for the trial by combat I hope to see Oberyn vs. The Mountain.

My first reaction was Jamie vs Mountain. Jamie loses (and dies?) the Lannister loses 2 sons by way of trial. I'm assuming Tyrion would be found guilty if he lost the challenge. Just me thinking out loud after just finished watching it.

Then Oberyn will challenge the Mountain, boom, season finale.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Motion to rename the Emmys to the Peter Dinklage awards.

Best supporting actor is one of, if not the toughest category. Jack Huston, Walton Goggins, John Slattery, and Woody Harrelson(do they do co-leads?) this year were all great.

Bonus point for seeing Stannis so out of his element. He just sits there like a scolded child.
The red god really does work in mysterious ways.

Yeah that was funny seeing Davos do all the hard work while Stannis just stood in the shadows sulking. Make Davos the king already.

The show needs more Jaqen :(

agreeeeee

but not sure about the replacement actor jaqen, i want the first actor jaqen.

also whoa, OriginalThinking, that's a very interesting thought! I didn't think of it until you mention it but now that you have, it makes absolute sense : O my first thought was Jaime, but yeah, i think the names you picked makes really exciting plot.

This episode was okay, it's been low-key for a few episodes now, for me, but this one has a fair bit of Tyrion, so I was pleased. The Imp is ShowMaker!

Im glad Jaime tried to stick up for his lil bro. It was so hilarious that as soon as he put his chips on the table, Tywin snatched it instantaneously. His facial expression was priceless. It was as if he suddenly realised he sold his bargain too quick too cheap. LOL. So entertaining.

... what else. dragon bit was cute, theon's bit was okay. Oh, Ser Davos at the beginning was a nice bit. I liked it. He came across so sincere, believing in Stannis so fervently as the one rightful King and that he somehow would be good at it??? (lol), and trying to salvage something by juggling too many balls in the air. In any case, his earnestness is endearing.

The rest of the episode was kind of floaty. I am glad for Oberyn. He's just so easy to watch. And that bit between Tyrion and Varys.... ;__;

Love Tyrion's speech at the end. He has done so much for King's Landing and I could see his frustration and anguish in his face when he made that big spiel.

#TeamTyrionForLyfe

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Alik Sakharov (whom I'm pretty sure I have a family relation with) is one hell of a director and cinematographer. He has done some of the most important episodes for every major HBO show, including The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and now Game of Thrones.

Super proud of the work he does. He has the touch.

Curufinwe

That was the best kangaroo court scene since the Witchsmeller Pursuivant used a signed statement from Edmund Blackadder's own horse to find him guilty of witchcraft.

icivV8uJhPIEt.png
#TeamTrueKing

Angry Fork

TYRIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

That last scene, amazing.

Shay's betrayal I imagine is worse for Tyrion than what happened with Tysha. Why the fuck did she do that, was it really just because she was butt hurt about what he said or is she in the employ of Tywin or little finger? Awful. It's possible Tywin told her he'd let Tyrion live if she said these things but still, goddam.

Tyrion better not die, he never should, but I think he will eventually because GRRM hates nice endings =(

I don't see any way where Tyrion comes out as innocent. It doesn't even matter who the Chamption is for Tyrion, Tywin is waaaaaay to good to let him go that easily and screwing over his deal with Jaime.

Tywin has been winning everything since the beginning, I think this would be an awesome time for him to lose something. I don't think it's too crazy to think it could happen the way narrative's shift so rapidly in this show.

I wish Stannis was more likeable so his story is more interesting. He's such a dull asshole that I really don't give a shit what happens to him or his crew. It's like he's this separate little thing on the side that the show has to talk about every now and then but is ultimately meaningless.

And Daenerys is still a shit heel, slave owning, megalomaniacal, joffrey-wannabe cunt.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Theon's storyline was really disappointing. The end of season 3 set that battle to be a really big and important moment.

Everything else was awesome.

Angry Fork

The show needs more Jaqen :(

I miss this guy badly and want Arya to learn stuff from him, but if he came back I would want the original actor who looked really cool and mysterious. But it wouldn't make sense since he changed already so it would be disappointing as well if they changed actors.

I miss this guy badly and want Arya to learn stuff from him, but if he came back I would want the original actor who looked really cool and mysterious. But it wouldn't make sense since he changed already so it would be disappointing as well if they changed actors.

I felt the same way towards the original Dario Naharis. Their was an air of mystery and charm with the original Dario, similar to Ja'qen.

If only Jaime waited till the end of the trial...Tywin was going to exile Tyrion to the Night's Watch anyway. Jaime forfeited his status for nothing lol But good on him for looking out for his brother, unlike their thundercunt of a father and sister..

bolded part cuz that's the bit that made it so hilar

:>

The VanDerWerff review is great, it compares the characters and their use of power, justice and mercy. Stannis is now the most honorable person in Westeros. Only he can make a man like Davos Seaworth vouch for him, even after he cuts off his fingers.

Get the blend of power and justice just right, and you might even win something more valuable than the three things outlined above. You just might win someone’s loyalty.

That’s why maybe the most important scene in this episode is its very first one. Davos and Stannis show up in Braavos to beg for the Iron Bank to back their claim to the throne. The bankers (one of whom is played by Mark Gatiss!) say no, that’s not something they’re going to do, but Davos won’t hear of it. He immediately begins extolling the virtues of his king, of the man who spared his life and made him a knight but still took his fingers. Game Of Thrones rarely tips its hand as to where it believes these various claimants to the throne to be in relation to each other—outside of its general love for all things Dany—but here’s a pretty big moment in relation to this episode. Stannis may not have much, but he has the ability to get men to make huge speeches proclaiming his greatness to rooms full of powerful men. And, ultimately, that might be even more worthwhile than gold.

Note: The end of this review and comments section contains book spoilers
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/game-thrones-experts-laws-gods-and-men-204528

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom