• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
Tyrion... you are awesome. I haven't enjoyed five minutes of TV that much in a long, long time. As much as I hated watching him break down, the venom he unleashed was just astounding and powerful.

God, I love Dinklage.

Nameless

I wish Stannis was more likeable so his story is more interesting. He's such a dull asshole that I really don't give a shit what happens to him or his crew. It's like he's this separate little thing on the side that the show has to talk about every now and then but is ultimately meaningless.

I totally get not liking the character or being uninterested in his story, but meaningless? What he did this episode was one of the most important things to happen all season, maybe even in the entire series depending on how things play out. With the Iron Bank's support he can gather the resources needed to take another crack at conquering the throne, and/or march north to deal with the looming White Walker threat. It's also essentially a death sentence to the Lannisters.

To me it seems like he simply didn't factor much into the story the past season and a half, but will in a major way down the line, so HBO wanted to keep him in the viewers' consciousness.

Lastly, the character is supposed to be dull and boring and uncharismatic. That's who he is and Stephen Delaney's portrayal is fuckin aces. I love his general aloofness, and how noticeably uncomfortable he becomes when he's out of his element. Still, there this brooding intensity to the guy that no one else has. You may not love him, but learn to like him.....he will be our King.

CLEEK

Note: The end of this review and comments section contains book spoilers

This is why, outside of this thread, I never search for or read anything about GoT on the internet. It's a god damn minefield.

I've done pretty well avoiding spoilers. The only time I saw a major one unexpectedly was in the comments of a preview of the second season when someone mentioned Catelyn Stark dies. I was expecting her to be killed each time she was on screen.

i5PRtn4G8SFxH.gif
8VkCo7z.png

TYRIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

That last scene, amazing.

Shay's betrayal I imagine is worse for Tyrion than what happened with Tysha. Why the fuck did she do that, was it really just because she was butt hurt about what he said or is she in the employ of Tywin or little finger? Awful. It's possible Tywin told her he'd let Tyrion live if she said these things but still, goddam.

Tyrion better not die, he never should, but I think he will eventually because GRRM hates nice endings =(

Tywin has been winning everything since the beginning, I think this would be an awesome time for him to lose something. I don't think it's too crazy to think it could happen the way narrative's shift so rapidly in this show.

I wish Stannis was more likeable so his story is more interesting. He's such a dull asshole that I really don't give a shit what happens to him or his crew. It's like he's this separate little thing on the side that the show has to talk about every now and then but is ultimately meaningless.

And Daenerys is still a shit heel, slave owning, megalomaniacal, joffrey-wannabe cunt.
I think it's safe to assume that all testimony is in some way tainted by cersi.

Preview discussion:
You guys remember the scene of Oberon fighting someone from the first season preview? I showed it to my wife and we both think he's going to flip the script and fight for Tyrion. Didn't Tywin promise him the mountain anyway?

Someone help out here, Oberyn wants to wreck the Lannisters because they killed his sister right? Or her kids? One of the two. I don't want to go look it up and fuck myself with a spoiler.

]You guys remember the scene of Oberon fighting someone from the first season preview? I showed it to my wife and we both think he's going to flip the script and fight for Tyrion. Didn't Tywin promise him the mountain anyway?

Someone help out here, Oberyn wants to wreck the Lannisters because they killed his sister right? Or her kids? One of the two. I don't want to go look it up and fuck myself with a spoiler.
The Mountain raped and split his sister in half from what I remember. I could see Oberyn fighting The Mountain if Jaime is torn between the two sides, not sure if a judge would be allowed to fight though.

Edit: I thought you were talking about the first episode of the season, didn't realize this was preview talk. I never watch them but I'll spoiler all of this stuff too.

Preview discussion:
You guys remember the scene of Oberon fighting someone from the first season preview? I showed it to my wife and we both think he's going to flip the script and fight for Tyrion. Didn't Tywin promise him the mountain anyway?

The Mountain raped and killed his sister.

CLEEK

Oberon's sister was married to the oldest son of the Targaryen Mad King. When the Mad King was murdered and war broke out, the son (forgotten his name) was killed by Robert Baratheon and the Targaryens (including Oberon's sister and her two children) were killed by the Lannister forces that overran Kings Landing.

The only Targaryens to escape were Dany and her brother, and the blind Maester dude who went to The Wall.

Oberon's sister was married to the oldest son of the Targaryen Mad King. When the Mad King was murdered and war broke out, the son (forgotten his name) was killed by Robert Baratheon and the Targaryen's were killed by the Lannister forces that overran Kings Landing. Including Oberon's sister and her two children.

Aegon, after the Targaryen who came from Essos, founded King's Landing and united 6 of the 7 kingdoms three hundred years before Robert's rebellion.

EDIT: No, it was Rhaegar. HIS son was named after Aegon.

kingkitty

Some of these earlier comments called Shae a bitch for what she did. I don't get it, obviously she had no choice but to testify against Tyrion. It was either testify, (with Tyrion living on in the Night's Watch, although I don't know if she knew this), or face execution.

I think by season's end, Tyrion will be no more. This show has destroyed my faith in any character getting a happy ending.

amnesiac

I thought Jaime was only going to go back to Casterly Rock if Tyrion asked to be sent to the Night's Watch, but he's screwed either way now?

I thought Jaime was only going to go back to Casterly Rock if Tyrion asked to be sent to the Night's Watch, but he's screwed either way now?

Nah, I think things are different now. He'll probably still be King's Guard. Tywin is the one who's fucked here: if Tyrion dies, Jamie's under no real obligation to leave the King's Guard and then there's no-one to really continue the Lannister name. If Tyrion lives, that motherfucker is getting the hell out of Westeros and never looking back, giving him the freedom to pretty much re-imagine the Lannister name in a new land.

Well, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself (I don't really know what happens should Tyrion win the contest) but it's an expert role-reversal by Tyrion regardless. Tywin isn't playing the game this time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Some of these earlier comments called Shae a bitch for what she did. I don't get it, obviously she had no choice but to testify against Tyrion. It was either testify, (with Tyrion living on in the Night's Watch, although I don't know if she knew this), or face execution.

I think by season's end, Tyrion will be no more. This show has destroyed my faith in any character getting a happy ending.

What when was she threatened with execution?

Kvik

Avoiding GoT related conversation with work colleagues whom has read the books like a plague today.

I was nearly spoiled on who the champions will be for the two parties :-\

If Tyrion lives, that motherfucker is getting the hell out of Westeros and never looking back, giving him the freedom to pretty much re-imagine the Lannister name in a new land.
If Tyrion lives, he is razing King's Landing to the ground either by joining Stannis or Daneyris. He has gone loco. I don't see him retiring to a life of a farmer or going back to his whoring, carefree ways.

She wasn't. But seeing as how the authorities also threatened Podrick's life if he didn't testify against T-Dogg, it's fair to assume that someone got to her and bribed or blackmailed her testimony out of her (probably Cersei as she knows about her and Tyrion).

The other explanation is that she's a spiteful bitch, which works for me too.

Nah, I think things are different now. He'll probably still be King's Guard. Tywin is the one who's fucked here: if Tyrion dies, Jamie's under no real obligation to leave the King's Guard and then there's no-one to really continue the Lannister name. If Tyrion lives, that motherfucker is getting the hell out of Westeros and never looking back, giving him the freedom to pretty much re-imagine the Lannister name in a new land.

Well, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself (I don't really know what happens should Tyrion win the contest) but it's an expert role-reversal by Tyrion regardless. Tywin isn't playing the game this time.

agree

tywin's horse went pooped in this race

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
She wasn't. But seeing as how the authorities also threatened Podrick's life if he didn't testify against T-Dogg, it's fair to assume that someone got to her and bribed or blackmailed her testimony out of her (probably Cersei as she knows about her and Tyrion).

The other explanation is that she's a spiteful bitch, which works for me too.

I feel like Bronn might have sold him out. It was Bronn who was in charge of getting her on a boat, right?
Cersei mentioned her during the wedding remember. She probably had her captured already, and most definitely threatened her and/or Tyrion's life if she didn't play along.

I vaguely remember that, but I don't think thats explicit enough. But we'll likely learn the answers next week. Jeez and then the show is basically over for the year. You really miss those two hours Game of Thrones doesn't have compared to other series.

If Tyrion lives, he is razing King's Landing to the ground either by joining Stannis or Daneyris. He has gone loco. I don't see him retiring to a life of a farmer or going back to his whoring, carefree ways.

Well, OK, I could see him tracking down Dany. Stannis less so, I imagine he's well aware of how insanely fanatical that guy got.

I must admit, I did forget about Tyrion the general. That would be a wonderful angle to see.

tumblr_n5g03xeR9m1qd7ltbo1_250.gif
tumblr_n5g03xeR9m1qd7ltbo2_250.gif

Give the emmy to Dinklage already:

tumblr_n5fznbLa2m1ruu897o1_250.gif
tumblr_n5fznbLa2m1ruu897o6_250.gif

tumblr_n5fznbLa2m1ruu897o2_250.gif
tumblr_n5fznbLa2m1ruu897o3_250.gif

tumblr_n5fznbLa2m1ruu897o4_250.gif
tumblr_n5fznbLa2m1ruu897o5_250.gif

tumblr_n5fzy1Mfse1qiaxzfo2_250.gif
tumblr_n5fzy1Mfse1qiaxzfo1_250.gif

Stannis, my broke-ass bytch:

tumblr_n5gvcqJTwp1r00l9eo1_500.jpg

I'll just quote:

I can't believe you Stannis stans are proud of yourselves. You honestly blow my mind
9LFe1WP.png

Your illiterate, ex-con, financial advisor and life coach forged a loan application and then flaunted his disability to guilt the bank into lending you some money.

You can see this as a win, if you want. I don't.

And then what's the first thing this dummy does now that he has a little bit of money in his pocket? Does he procure some food for your starving soldiers? Does he stock your castle with some meat that isn't rotten? Does he sign Shireen up under the LannisCare individual mandate so she can get her scales removed now that she can't be denied despite having a pre-existing condition?

No.

This pig-ignorant, 2 strike-having, life long loser, habitual failure, moron hits the strip club and makes it rain golden dragons.
9LFe1WP.png

I didn't discuss the preview of the next episode. The preview for season 4, the one that came out in February is what I was referring to. Should that be considered a spoiler? I went back a few pages and one guy was talking about the screen caps he had of it. Did I break a rule and not know it?

I didn't discuss the preview of the next episode. The preview for season 4, the one that came out in February is what I was referring to. Should that be considered a spoiler? I went back a few pages and one guy was talking about the screen caps he had of it. Did I break a rule and not know it?
Anything that hasn't aired in an episode yet should be under tags. This includes any of the numerous trailers that were released before the season. Please read the OP for more details.

Anything that hasn't aired in an episode yet should be under tags. This includes any of the numerous trailers that were released before the season. Please read the OP for more details.
Aight cool. I thought it was fair game because others else did it a few pages ago and the preview was from February. Not trying to make your job harder.

DrSlek

I recall in episode 2 Tywin issued orders to being Shae to his chambers after Joffrey's wedding.

Mayhaps she's not there by Cercei's doing, but by Tywin's?

kingkitty

I feel like Bronn might have sold him out. It was Bronn who was in charge of getting her on a boat, right?

I vaguely remember that, but I don't think thats explicit enough. But we'll likely learn the answers next week. Jeez and then the show is basically over for the year. You really miss those two hours Game of Thrones doesn't have compared to other series.

I thought it was pretty explicit. I think last season, Tywin threatened Tyrion that if he found another whore, he would have her killed. Early in this season, Cersei's mole told her about Shae. Later, Shae was captured before she was able to leave King's Landing. Maybe Bronn helped out.

And then, I don't think it's a stretch to believe that Shae was all like "wtf don't kill me". And Cersei or Tywin was like "ok then, I have a plan for you".

The same plan that was tried with Poddrick. But unlike Shae, he had an exit strategy.

It sounds like Tyrion's options are "Let the dornishman marrying Myrcella have the place" or "pray tommen lives to have enough kids to give it to one of them." Jaime sure doesn't seem too keen to go out of his way to make daddy happy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'll just quote:

He didn't hit the strip club, he payed the pirate for his services. The pirate happened to be at the strip club/bath house telling off color jokes to hookers.

He also did something no one's ever done and got money from the Iron Bank. Tywin said appealing to the bank like he did was a useless endeavor and yet he did it and succeeded.

All the other surviving rules in the world wish they had people as loyal as Davos is. Stannis has got guys that will do anything for him, by comparison Dany is dealing with mass discontent.

Mr.Mike

It sounds like Tyrion's options are "Let the dornishman marrying Myrcella have the place" or "pray tommen lives to have enough kids to give it to one of them." Jaime sure doesn't seem too keen to go out of his way to make daddy happy.

I'd imagine one of the Lannister extended family would inherit Casterly rock before a "Baratheon".

Sendero

The show has not mentioned anything. We however know that Cercei's maiden spied on her. And during the weeding festival, Cercei mentions the fact to Tywin, whom pretty much assures that she will be taken care of before the escape.

Furthermore, on the most recent HBO video "Anatomy of a Scene - Tyrion's Trial",
It's confirmed that Shae was pretty much forced to lie, or be killed. Although her resentfulness is somewhat real.

The really important question is.. Did Bronn sold her out? He reasurred Tyrion that Shae was safe and already on the ship. Does not seem like his character at all. But you have to wonder...

I'd imagine one of the Lannister extended family would inherit Casterly rock before a "Baratheon".

Right... I always get serious tunnel vision and forget about their higher-than-average number of random relatives. I should go see if I can find a list of them to see who's still alive.

The tv-show-specific wiki is a godsend.

Edit: oh I thought Kevan Lannister had died for some reason, and that he'd run out of sons. So those are options.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The show has not mentioned anything. We however know that Cercei's maiden spied on her. And during the weeding festival, Cercei mentions the fact to Tywin, whom pretty much assures that she will be taken care of before the escape.

Furthermore, on the most recent HBO video "Anatomy of a Scene - Tyrion's Trial",
It's confirmed that Shae was pretty much forced to lie, or be killed. Although her resentfulness is somewhat real.

The really important question is.. Did Bronn sold her out? He reasurred Tyrion that Shae was safe and already on the ship. Does not seem like his character at all. But you have to wonder...

The Lannisters could very well have been one step ahead of him. Bronn's a bro, he wouldn't do that.

CLEEK

Has it been made clear who owes the Iron Bank?

Is it the crown e.g. whoever is King, or the Baratheons, or the Lannisters?

Tywin talking to Cersie made it pretty clear that he had borrowed from the Iron Back to fund the war. But was he borrowing it as a Lannisters, or as a representative of the Crown? Likewise, when Littlefinger was borrowing from them, I assume the debt was against the Crown.

If Stannis has won at Blackwater, what would have happened to the Iron Bank debt that the previous king(s) had accumulated? I assume that the fact the bank has lent money to Stannis now that the Baratheons/Lannisters debt would not have been his to inherit?

Has it been made clear who owes the Iron Bank?

Is it the crown e.g. whoever is King, or the Baratheons, or the Lannisters?

Tywin talking to Cersie made it pretty clear that he had borrowed from the Iron Back to fund the war. But was he borrowing it as a Lannisters, or as a representative of the Crown? Likewise, when Littlefinger was borrowing from them, I assume the debt was against the Crown.

If Stannis has won at Blackwater, what would have happened to the Iron Bank debt that the previous king(s) had accumulated? I assume that the fact the bank has lent money to Stannis now that the Baratheons/Lannisters debt would not have been his to inherit?

Littlefinger's loans were definitely in the name of the crown.
I think Tywin has debt of both types? Maybe the crown doesn't need the cash with the Tyrells and all the borrowing is now the lannisters maintaining appearances.

The iron bank will totally expect Stannis to settle the crown's debts if he actually lands in power for any length of time. Stannis, being an honorable but uptight dude, would probably feel it his duty to at the very least assume the portion accrued in Robert's name but would probably dispute anything racked up under Joff/Tommen/ other intervening "illegitimate" kings.

Arcayne

And here I was writhing in pain and agony for having no one to talk to abt last nights episode... when I haz neogaf. Anyways,

HANDS DOWN MY NEW FAVORITE EPISODE IN THE SEASON! And perhaps the entire show. The stannis/davos to daeny/barriston to tyrion/twywin interactions flooooooooored me the entire 52mins.

More importantly, Dinklage's acting and scene is the best thing I've see on television in a looong time.

Sendero

The Lannisters could very well have been one step ahead of him. Bronn's a bro, he wouldn't do that.
Well, my assumption is that it was Tywin whom convinced Shae to testify, perhaps reassuring her that it was a "fake" trial or something like that. And he is cunning enough to consider the possibility that could make an arrangement with Bronn too (on lenient terms).

But not for a moment I think that Bronn would betray Tyrion for money. He spoke too highly of him with Jaime for that to occur. He was conspicuously absent, so something is going on that front.

Because really.. if Tyrion survives (with a champion), it would be too dangerous for him to remain on King's Landing anyway. He has too many powerful enemies now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom