• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

It's a bloody invasion.

I reckon. I actually just got the set of books today and the main reason I want to read them is so I don't get spoiled any more. I'm not in the mood for reading at all, and I don't even care that much about this series, but god damnit I hate being spoiled, argh!

He tried to murder a child. That puts him pretty far down the list of "heroes" behind pretty much anybody with the last name Stark, Jon Snow, hell even Mama Tyrell.

What did you expect him to do? He was having an affair with the queen, who is also his twin sister. If anyone find out it would be his and her head on the pikes, what he did he did for love. (Blind and wrong as it may be) He said it when he push Bran out the window, we just did not take it really mean that but that's what he meant.

Amey

Under the heading "In the books". You really shouldn't bring any of that stuff in here.

GoT wiki is spoiler free. It's written on their home page.

.... In addition this wiki is meant for the enjoyment of watchers of the television series who do not have any knowledge of the books. For this reason, spoilers and events from the books are not permitted on entries on this Wiki. Information from the books can be added to entries once the TV series has reached the same point in the story.

TasTokyo

GoT wiki is spoiler free. It's written on their home page.

That's not really true though. I mean it's making a large assumption that at no point in the future will the characters talk about those past events. We have no idea if it will at some point be discussed in the show. Just whoever edits that one page of the wiki has decided it probably won't be mentioned from now on.

MysticX

I find it funny if Varys if after the throne, wasn´t it him and Illyrio who wanted the Targaryens back at the throne???

Varys also doesn´t seem like a guy who wants to rule it all, he prefers beeing in the shadows and know all things...

we´ll see...

Vagabundo

Great episode.

But Tyrion is dead. I've just accepted that fact. It makes it easier.

They are going to chop off his head, just like Ned. Just like Ned. :'(

What did you expect him to do? He was having an affair with the queen, who is also his twin sister. If anyone find out it would be his and her head on the pikes, what he did he did for love. (Blind and wrong as it may be) He said it when he push Bran out the window, we just did not take it really mean that but that's what he meant.

How about not raping Cersei in front of their child's dead body?
Amazing that people will overlook that.

Amey

That's not really true though. I mean it's making a large assumption that at no point in the future will the characters talk about those past events. We have no idea if it will at some point be discussed in the show. Just whoever edits that one page of the wiki has decided it probably won't be mentioned from now on.

Yes, there's that bit of risk there.

Generally, if it hasn't aired, I don't want to read about it here. This is basically the only safe place on the internets.

Aright. No more mentioning stuff from wiki.

I always liked Stannis' cold character. Confident but not arrogant. The whole religion/burning people etc. is the only shitty aspect and I hope he just does it to gain the favors of that god/red witch and not because he's actually a follower (like his crazy wife).
He's also the kind of leader that actually fights (skillfully) on the very front and has to be dragged away from the battle.

So it was great to see that he will be a major player soon again with the Iron Bank backing him. Especially if you care about the people of Westeros as Stannis seems to be the only leader of anything that takes the White Walkers /Wildling threat seriously.
However, I did not like how he was acting spoiled&offended during that meeting, the Onion Knight basically did all of it.

One question though, how did they know that the Throne/Lannisters can't pay back the Iron Bank? I guess the news about no gold in 2 years could have been spread, but is that enough to know for certain that the Iron Bank is unhappy? I guess seeing them for a meeting at all is a sign for that.

Regarding the trial, I really wonder how they got Shae to say these things. Better be something good (and she never really seemed to fear getting murdered...) because she's a stupid bitch if it's just to get back at him for sending her away (for her own protection no less).
@fighters: Jamie will probably be forbidden to fight against the crown? He would be the only one that would get spared by the Lannisters by choosing a weaker opponent. Although deep down I'm betting on Jamie vs Bronn D: (both can be on either side). The Mountain vs Oberyn makes sense of course, but don't the fighters have to be around? Would they really call in The Mountain from wherever he is and wait it out?

Also, I still don't get how Cersei can have so much power&influence?! (especially now that they don't exactly swim in money)

Anyone else hating that Mace Tyrell guy? Such an oblivious idiot that actually thinks he's hot shit now even though they just use him as a little pawn.

Just out of curiosity, how many men did Stannis have when he attacked Kings Landing? Hearing that he only has 4,000 now seems really tiny when Renly said he had 100k before he died and Rob had 20k when he marched towards Kings Landing. I know after Renly died many of his banner man left to fight for Renly. Just wondering how big of a army Stannis had at his strongest point.

If Tyrion lives, he is razing King's Landing to the ground either by joining Stannis or Daneyris. He has gone loco. I don't see him retiring to a life of a farmer or going back to his whoring, carefree ways.
Agreed. If my name isn't Jaime, I would be very worried about my well being if my last name is Lannister if Tyrion makes it out. All hell's going to break loose.

Violet_0

Banned
I always liked Stannis' cold character. Confident but not arrogant. The whole religion/burning people etc. is the only shitty aspect and I hope he just does it to gain the favors of that god/red witch and not because he's actually a follower (like his crazy wife).
He's also the kind of leader that actually fights (skillfully) on the very front and has to be dragged away from the battle.

he doesn't seem like a true believer. He's much more pragmatic about it, like this shit works so he might as well use it and become king. And you sometimes get the impression that he has second thoughts about whatever new atrocity the red witch comes up with next

Jesus people get precious in GoT threads.

Yes I understand why the delineation between threads exists but there's no need to bitch the guy out so thoroughly for posting a bit of backstory.

Focus on the people in the thread who continue to post uncannily accurate speculation.

I don't think the two situations are similar. The guy who approached Dany asking for his father's corpse made it seem like his father was the only master who voted against nailing those kids on those posts. His father than unfortunately becomes a statistical error. Also, comparing a slave owner, regardless of whether he voted for or against what Mereen did, to a bunch of kids isn't a fair comparison. I doubt Ned's heart would bleed for a slaver of any stripe, specially one caught up with the shit Mereen was up to.

But you're right. Dany needs to understand that ruling isn't the same as conquering, and I feel that situations like this are moulding her onto a path to understand that. Unlike say Robert Baratheon who was a formidable conqueror, who then turned into an absolute shit show of a king, she at least is facing a lot of these problems early on.
She's an inexperienced egomaniac while Ned is neither of those two things.

Violet_0

Banned
Just out of curiosity, how many men did Stannis have when he attacked Kings Landing? Hearing that he only has 4,000 now seems really tiny when Renly said he had 100k before he died and Rob had 20k when he marched towards Kings Landing. I know after Renly died many of his banner man left to fight for Renly. Just wondering how big of a army Stannis had at his strongest point.

Renly's men ran over to Stannis after the assassination. I have no idea how he lost at Blackwater if he really had a hundred thousand soldiers, the wildfire only blew up a dozen or so ships

Mario007

She's an inexperienced egomaniac while Ned is neither of those two things.

Honestly that crucifiction was very similar to Joff chopping off Ned's head. I mean from Joff's perspective he was serving justice as Ned committed treason against him. That is a huge offence and one punishable by death. So Joffrey did it out of his own sense of justice.
Dany seems to have done the same, not asking questions, just going for her brutal version of the justice despite her counsellors telling her not to do it.

Vagabundo

Focus on the people in the thread who continue to post uncannily accurate speculation.

If you have concerns please contact a Mod, seriously.

Honestly that crucifiction was very similar to Joff chopping off Ned's head. I mean from Joff's perspective he was serving justice as Ned committed treason against him. That is a huge offence and one punishable by death. So Joffrey did it out of his own sense of justice.
Dany seems to have done the same, not asking questions, just going for her brutal version of the justice despite her counsellors telling her not to do it.

I think she is just out of her depth. She didn't realise how much hassle ruling would be. Just something that was her birthright. So she is just ruling on impulse and learning in the process that things aren't so black and white.

I think she'll learn.

Although if I was her I'd just stay where I am - it's sunny and the people are nice - and leave that shit hole Westeros (or is the whole shebang called Westeros??) alone.

Mario007

If you have concerns please contact a Mod, seriously.

I think she is just out of her depth. She didn't realise how much hassle ruling would be. Just something that was her birthright. So she is just ruling on impulse and learning in the process that things aren't so black and white.

I think she'll learn.

Although if I was her I'd just stay where I am - it's sunny and the people are nice - and leave that shit hole Westeros (or is the whole shebang called Westeros??) alone.

See but it's not even her birthright. As a girl Dany would have never ruled anything should her family still be in power in Westeros. She calls herself by many titles, even calls herself the Queen of Andals and First Men when she has like 2 Andals in her whole group and no First Men, calls herself a Khaleesi whereas a Khaleesi only works if there is a Khal...oh and some Dothraki.
This episode she had Missandre speak for her, pronouncing the titles only to give a bitchy reaction when a servant of the former slaver spoke for his master.

Dany has a god complex. She believes in her justice and will stop at nothing to achieve it. She believes herself as the most rightful person in the world and acts accordingly.

Indignate

Did anybody find it weird when Varys referred to the seven kingdoms as a country? I think it's the first time anybody ever has on the show and it just seemed off to me, specifically since he's the one who seems to refer to it as a realm most often than not.

duckroll

I deleted the posts about the book material. It's not really a "spoiler" since the adaptation is just different in that aspect, but try not to bring book content into the thread here because it confuses stuff and could lead to bad stuff. Thanks.

Vagabundo

See but it's not even her birthright. As a girl Dany would have never ruled anything should her family still be in power in Westeros. She calls herself by many titles, even calls herself the Queen of Andals and First Men when she has like 2 Andals in her whole group and no First Men, calls herself a Khaleesi whereas a Khaleesi only works if there is a Khal...oh and some Dothraki.
This episode she had Missandre speak for her, pronouncing the titles only to give a bitchy reaction when a servant of the former slaver spoke for his master.

Dany has a god complex. She believes in her justice and will stop at nothing to achieve it. She believes herself as the most rightful person in the world and acts accordingly.

I won't argue the point. I see her differently. I'm neutral on her at the moment, while I'm enjoying her story thread, I don't have a lot invested in her right now. That will change once she starts interacting with the main story though. Her natural arrogance could easily piss me off at that point.

We'll see how she changes and what kind of leader she becomes soon I'd guess. I think it's time for her Queenly skills to be tested.

Oh god don't hurt me like that.

It's best if you just accept the inevitable, my friend.

Not at all?

Are you Ramsey Snow?

That whole storyline is creepy, disturbing and makes me uncomfortable. Whatever he's done in the past it's hard to see someone treated like a sub-human and not feel sorry for them.

My wife is fairly close to not watching those scenes. I hope they resolve the situation quickly and don't drag it out too long.

Loomba

Renly's men ran over to Stannis after the assassination. I have no idea how he lost at Blackwater if he really had a hundred thousand soldiers, the wildfire only blew up a dozen or so ships

Wildfire + Attacking a fricking castle + ambush by Tywin and Tyrells would be pretty hard to overcome dude.

Indignate

Those were only the ships that thee had the budget to show.

There were other off screen ships that got blown up.

Or something.

aravuus

Oh wow, totally shouldn't have waited till today to watch the newest episode

I know I'm late but damn, Tyrion's scene was one of the most impressive scenes I've seen in the show and really, in all TV so far.

e: still feeling those goosebumps

Jesus people get precious in GoT threads.

Yes I understand why the delineation between threads exists but there's no need to bitch the guy out so thoroughly for posting a bit of backstory.

If people are doing this, they need to be shown injustice with justice.

Violet_0

Banned
Wildfire + Attacking a fricking castle + ambush by Tywin and Tyrells would be pretty hard to overcome dude.

King's Landing barely had any defenders though and Stannis was standing on the city walls like a few minutes after they got there. I guess most of his men were killed during the Tywin counterattack, somehow. It still doesn't really make much sense

Azih

King's Landing barely had any defenders though and Stannis was standing on the city walls like a few minutes after they got there. I guess most of his men were killed during the Tywin counterattack, somehow. It still doesn't really make much sense

Tyrion's plans managed to hold Stannis off long enough that Tywin had enough time to swoop in.

felipeko

I a lot of Remly's 100k men came from Tyrell's support... After his death, this support went to Tywin

J-Rod

Tywin is such a boss. A couple of weeks ago my wife was trying to argue that Cerci was running shit. He is essentially the king right now. He is an intimidating dude.

I don't see how anyone could like Stannis. He is the red lady's lap dog, sacrifices his own people to fire, and can't even fucking speak up for himself when it matters most. He's just a completely ineffective boring nobody. He doesn't do anything but sulk and brood all day like the chump he is. I'm convinced Stan fans know some spoilers, because he hasn't done the first thing in the 4 years the show has been going to merit any sort of praise. Not one single thing. He was the first over some wall and killed a couple of trash mobs before his own men had to save his stupid ass. Whoop de do. Go home and keep being a honey do to your dumb gf that only speaks I'm cheesy one-liners.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Couple of stray observations:

-I don't think Shae fucked Tyrion over out of spite. I wouldn't be surprised if Cersei and/or papa Tywin played her like a flute, probably promising that they would save his life if she managed to turn an incriminating testimony. I put nothing past those two. Nothing.

-Tyrion screaming that he was being judged just for being a dwarf was incredible. Social comentery all up in this bitch.

-Kelly C needs to start listening to her advisors for once and quit being such a self-absorbed B. Your ideas of Neutral Good mean jackshit in the real world, gurl.

-Varys looking at the iron throne was simply bizarre. He's an eunuch, a man unable to perpetuate his lineage, on top of a foreigner. He would never be accepted as a king and he most surely know it. Maybe he wants to be his right hand (the new Hand?) but it's not like he's lacking influence these days...

-I really, really like the guy playing the Dornish prince. He's supremely likeable and clearly bored of his tits by King's Landing palatial BS. Bombass clothes, too.

-Cersei is such a dumb cunt. "Baby dragons". Excuse me? Holy shit, this cretin is SO going to get owned down the line, either during another siege or in a dank corridor. Arrogant and blind to the very end.

Vashetti

Banned
Couple of stray observations:

-I don't think Shae fucked Tyrion over out of spite. I wouldn't be surprised if Cersei and/or papa Tywin played her like a flute, probably promising that they would save his life if she managed to turn an incriminating testimony. I put nothing past those two. Nothing.

-Tyrion screaming that he was being judged just for being a dwarf was incredible. Social comentery all up in this bitch.

-Kelly C needs to start listening to her advisors for once and quit being such a self-absorbed B. Your ideas of Neutral Good mean jackshit in the real world, gurl.

-Varys looking at the iron throne was simply bizarre. He's an eunuch, a man unable to perpetuate his lineage, on top of a foreigner. He would never be accepted as a king and he most surely know it. Maybe he wants to be his right hand (the new Hand?) but it's not like he's lacking influence these days...

-I really, really like the guy playing the Dornish prince. He's supremely likeable and clearly bored of his tits by King's Landing palatial BS. Bombass clothes, too.

-Cersei is such a dumb cunt. "Baby dragons". Excuse me? Holy shit, this cretin is SO going to get owned down the line, either during another siege or in a dank corridor. Arrogant and blind to the very end.

Varys has no interest in being King, he just wants a good King/Queen on the throne for the "good of the realm".

I think people will and should overlook that because it wasn't the director's intent.

Yeah. Though I understand the people who saw it as rape, even if I didn't really. The home video releases should have the scene play out a little bit differently though, just to shake off that interpretation. All it would take is a shot of Cersei passionately kissing Jaime after stopping saying "no", instead of the camera panning away from the action.

Vashetti

Banned
Remember what Varys said to Tyrion, he has no second name, no family or army, knights/protectors to back him up.

He just wants to exist as somebody under a good ruler, who he can influence.

Loomba

Tywin is such a boss. A couple of weeks ago my wife was trying to argue that Cerci was running shit. He is essentially the king right now. He is an intimidating dude.

I don't see how anyone could like Stannis. He is the red lady's lap dog, sacrifices his own people to fire, and can't even fucking speak up for himself when it matters most. He's just a completely ineffective boring nobody. He doesn't do anything but sulk and brood all day like the chump he is. I'm convinced Stan fans know some spoilers, because he hasn't done the first thing in the 4 years the show has been going to merit any sort of praise. Not one single thing. He was the first over some wall and killed a couple of trash mobs before his own men had to save his stupid ass. Whoop de do. Go home and keep being a honey do to your dumb gf that only speaks I'm cheesy one-liners.

Gat damn.

I agree completely, Stannis is the embodiment of a self entitled little bitch. If he treated people a little better then Renly wouldn't have been an issue and he'd probably be king by now.

Nose Master

Hard to tell what's going on with Shae. Can't tell if the forced-ness of the lines are due to the actress being shit or if it's supposed to sound that way. I'm assuming she's just doing it out of spite, the "just a whore" line makes no sense otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom