• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Honest question, why do people liked Oberyn so much?

He's flashy, he's exciting, he's sexy, he does what he wants. He's got no fucks to give and he's got that sweet accent. He mouths off to the Lannisters and gets away with it (well...). And of course he's the only one man enough to step in to help everyone's favorite character.

Most important, I think, is that he's dynamic and unpredictable. An element much needed in King's Landing after Joffrey's death.

He's cool and all, but I have the feeling the love for him is drastically out of proportion with his screen time.

It is! Frankly, that's a testament to the actor and the writing.

sappyday

I honestly didn't like Oberyn for most of the season. It wasn't until he started showing compassion towards Tyrion that I started liking him as well.

He's flashy, he's exciting, he's sexy, he does what he wants. He's got no fucks to give and he's got that sweet accent. He mouths off to the Lannisters and gets away with it (well...). And of course he's the only one man enough to step in to help everyone's favorite character.

Most important, I think, is that he's dynamic and unpredictable. An element much needed in King's Landing after Joffrey's death.

It is! Frankly, that's a testament to the actor and the writing.

It's also one of the reasons why it hurt so much to see him die so soon.

Nameless

They lasted roughly the same number of episodes, but people definitely took Oberyn's death worse than Ned's. I don't think I've ever seen a reaction to a character's demise like that before. People were legitimately devastated and dismayed, some so shaken they were unable to watch videos of strangers reacting to his death. Sorrowful laments are still pouring in a week later, it's insane.

What's even crazier is how the season was essentially riding on Pascal's performance and he knocked it out of the park. Imagine if they had whiffed on Oberyn's casting.

Nameless

He's cool and all, but I have the feeling the love for him is drastically out of proportion with his screen time.

largesilence%20of%20the%20lambs1x.jpg

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
They lasted roughly the same number of episodes, but people definitely took Oberyn's death worse than Ned's. I don't think I've ever seen a reaction to a character's demise like that before. People were legitimately devastated and dismayed, some so shaken they were unable to watch videos of strangers reacting to his death. Sorrowful laments are still pouring in a week later, it's insane.

What's even crazier is how the season was essentially riding on Pascal's performance and he knocked it out of the park. Imagine if they had whiffed on Oberyn's casting.

Ned was a god damn idiot though. Every misstep he made amplified that this guy was not due long in this world. If Ned's death were to be similar to Oberyn's, it would have start with Ned pulling off a brilliant and successful take over; with Cersei and the Queen's children seized and put under watch. Then as Ned goes up the steps of the Iron Throne to make his proclamations (ie, making public Robert's will), he trips and impales himself on the throne itself. Now that would have caused a similar reaction from fans. Oh and Ned can't be an idiot either.

Nameless

Ned was a god damn idiot though. Every misstep he made amplified that this guy was not due long in this world. If Ned's death were to be similar to Oberyn's, it would have start with Ned pulling off a brilliant and successful take over; with Cersei and the Queen's children seized and put under watch. Then as Ned goes up the steps of the Iron Throne to make his proclamations (ie, making public Robert's will), he trips and impales himself on the throne itself. Now that would have caused a similar reaction from fans. Oh and Ned can't be an idiot either.

I don't disagree but I'd call it naivety. It's like a mayor of some bumfuck town entering into the cut-throat world of Chicago politics. He'd be eaten alive.

Oberyn died due to irrational behavior too.

Heshinsi

I don't disagree but I'd call it naivety. It's like a mayor of some bumfuck town entering into the cut-throat world of Chicago politics. He'd be eaten alive.

Oberyn died due to irrational behavior too.

It's the suddenness of it, and the fact that victory was mere moments (stab in the face, or sit back, drink some wine, and just wait) away, that has shook people so hard. Also, up until those final seconds, Oberyn hadn't done a single stupid thing. So there was no warming up to the fact that he may suddenly act out of character.

Rorschach

I don't think it's near Ned or Robb levels. People are used to it by now. The innerweb and workplace implosion after Ned's death has been unrivaled by anything outside of Red Wedding. Obyron's death just happened last episode and there hasn't been a new episode. Why wouldn't people still be talking about it?

Nameless

It's the suddenness of it, and the fact that victory was mere moments (stab in the face, or sit back, drink some wine, and just wait) away, that has shook people so hard. Also, up until those final seconds, Oberyn hadn't done a single stupid thing. So there was no warming up to the fact that he may suddenly act out of character.

Nothing that stupid, but he was pretty brazen from the beginning, though. Within hours of arriving in King's Landing he attacked Lannisters soldiers and threatened Tywin to his son. So in that regard I don't think his being guided by his emotions was out of character.

Oberyn was really growing on me. I wish he stuck around. His brother is probably a charmless douche.

Nameless

I don't think it's near Ned or Robb levels. People are used to it by now. The innerweb and workplace implosion after Ned's death has been unrivaled by anything outside of Red Wedding. Obyron's death just happened last episode and there hasn't been a new episode. Why wouldn't people still be talking about it?

I was talking more the personal impact, and how bummed out people seem to be, not that it was a bigger deal than the Stark deaths-- though some may say otherwise if Tyrion dies as a result. The level of brutality and the fact Oberyn's fate was tied to the show's most beloved character can't be understated. He also seemed to represent the greatest threat to the Lannisters yet, and most of the audience is beyond thirsty for their blood.

Heshinsi

Nothing that stupid, but he was pretty brazen from the beginning, though. Within hours of arriving in King's Landing he attacked Lannisters soldiers and threatened Tywin to his son. So in that regard I don't think his being guided by his emotions was out of character.

Oberyn was really growing on me. I wish he stuck around. His brother is probably a charmless douche.

When I meant stupid, I meant in the sense that a renowned and talented fighter like Oberyn mindlessly forgetting to not be so close to his downed opponent, felt like an "oops" moment for him. Something he wouldn't normally do. The other stuff, well that's the Prince being the Prince. I bet he knows that Tywin doesn't really want to start something with Dorne, so he takes a little pleasure poking holes here and there lol.

I'd be surprised if he isn't another Mace Tyrell type character. The fact that he passively let slide his sister's murder, where Oberyn if he was the elder would have continued fighting the war, makes me think this guy is a pushover. Plus you don't get gout being a badass. You get it by being a stay at home fat fuck; too busy stuffing your face then worrying about avenging your sister and her kids lol

Nameless

I'd be surprised if he isn't another Mace Tyrell type character. The fact that he passively let slide his sister's murder, where Oberyn if he was the elder would have continued fighting the war, makes me think this guy is a pushover. Plus you don't get gout being a badass lol

Good points Forgot about the gout. Yeah, he's probably the anti-Oberyn. As the older brother that likely created a host of insecurities and powerful insecure men are dangerous. Only a few of us like Cersei, but we should all pray to the Old Gods and the New for Myrcella's safety.

"Everywhere in the world, they hurt little girls."

I like the GAF show threads. Thanks to Cornballer and the sharp posters here.

Let's go good guys!!!! (I'm not exactly sure who the good guys are tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom