• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

This was the most important thing for me. It's pretty clear that Jon is going to be one of the few characters in for the long haul, along with Tyrion and Dany. Before last night, I really couldn't have given that much of a shit about that, but now I'm pretty impressed with Jon's character.

Yeah Jon is poised to be the hero of the show. I totally get people being bummed about not getting the Kings Landing story(this includes Arya, Baelish, Brienne etc. ), especially coming off the heels of a week long hiatus, but this was a seminal moment in his arc and I'm glad they took their time on it. Even characters like Sam, Edd, Throrn, Maester Aemon, and Janos Slynt were elevated considerably by this hour of television. Shit, I actually give a modicum of a fuck about Gilly now.

MutFox

Banned
Glad the episode had no Bran...
Hope the next one has no Bran either...
Hope they mention that they found him frozen somewhere soon too...

I will say I liked everyone in Jon's arc a whole lot more after this episode. Makes me want to care about them in future episodes finally.
Agree. Before, I didn't care much but this was great. Everyone was elevated besides Slint (?), that guy just gets repulsive, more and more. I hope he gets Theon'd. Now, I genuenly care for this part of the story going forward. Only storylines I don't care for now is Bran and Daenerys's storyline.

Siegcram

end of season prediction: Bran is warging a tree
Sounds hot
526.gif

So much this. I feel it goes far beyond all the political bullshit and petty scheming going on down south. These guys are fighting for the very survival of their civilisation and no one else seems to give a shit save Stannis and co.

Seeing the camera pull back on the castle showing us how small their forces were compared to the two attacking forces gave me the feels.

Grenn stand in the tunnel was arguably the single most heroic act in the entire series, and frankly the entire stand by the Night's Watch in the episode was heroic as hell. To think that with all the nobles and their armies in westeros, it fell upon this ragtag group of outcasts, exiles, and criminals to make the ultimate sacrifice for the realm.

Anybody who watched this episode and thought "this was just about action, there was no plot movement" just isn't paying attention to the large plot and themes that this story is telling.

Grenn stand in the tunnel was arguably the single most heroic act in the entire series, and frankly the entire stand by the Night's Watch in the episode was heroic as hell. To think that with all the nobles and their armies in westeros, it fell upon this ragtag group of outcasts, exiles, and criminals to make the ultimate sacrifice for the realm.

Anybody who watched this episode and thought "this was just about action, there was no plot movement" just isn't paying attention to the large plot and themes that this story is telling.

I felt the same watching. All the petty wars and fighting going on down south is only possible because of these brave cast outs defending them.

Raiden

Banned
When he got his head smashed by that wildling leader i was having an Oberyn flashback and thought well thats it.

Actually glad he pulled through, did not really care for his arc but this episode made me like him.

Siegcram

So far nobody on this show has been/seems to be destined to something other than an untimely death.

Kinda early to proclaim Jon as the savior.

silenttwn

They were both good because they set a sense of impending doom and urgency, which is something this episode failed to do.
The giants were bad ass but there were two of them, and they really didn't pose much of a threat. The wildlings behind the wall were supposed to easily storm the castle and take out everyone but they didn't and the wildling climbing the wall didn't think to spread them selves out enough, or climb up somewhere else and just walk along the top.
At no point did I think castle black would fall, or Sam or Jon would die. The promise of more giants and more wildlings coming is pointless if we're never going to see them

We must have seen two very different episodes. I'm glad they aren't trying to go for the bloated scale of a Return of the King battle.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
King Jon Snow and Bran the Dragon Rider are the chosen ones and will send the walk walker's frosty asses packin'. Can't wait.

Siegcram

King Jon Snow and Bran the Dragon Rider are the chosen ones and will send the walk walker's frosty asses packin'. Can't wait.
Bran is probably gonna be 8 ft. tall by himself when all is said and done.
They're lucky all he does is sitting on his ass at this point.

Kid is growing fast.

So do we think that's the last we'll see of Jon Snow this season?

highly doubtful. They have a ton of stuff to wrap up, but I don't think they can just pause whats going on in the North. I think we'll see some small bits with Mance, but mainly King's Landing and Vale taking priority.

They seriously have about 10 story lines to wrap up

MutFox

Banned
So it's all gonna come down to Daenarys vs. Jon in the end right?

He can take any freezing temperature,
and she can take any heat temperature from what they've shown...

So it's all gonna come down to Daenarys vs. Jon in the end right?

He can take any freezing temperature,
and she can take any heat temperature from what they've shown...
I am pretty sure Daenerys' shit is about to fall apart and she will get really screwed trying to get to Westeros. Dismissing Jorah was a monumental mistake. If Ser Barristen dies, she goes back to being a khaleesi, with no discipline and foresight to conquering and ruling.

ohNOitsRO

I kind of wish she didn't say that. Only time it took me out of the episode because it was some generic shit you see from above average shows. In a realistic (in terms of people) show such as this, why would she say that? Just silly.

I stll felt sad for her, but I assumed she would die either this episode or the next. I didn't see a way out of it. I don't see Jon dieing until the season finale and I'm 100% convinced of it. If he dies earlier, it will be Ned Stark shocker level of surprise with my jaw being on the floor for a few minutes
days

If you don't know why she said it you haven't been paying attention

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Goodbye Ygritte. I knew you'd have to go. It'd be either you or Jon, and without Jon there'd be no reason to keep you. So.. farewell. At least we got to see the goods.

I'm in the minority I know, but I like Sam and Gilly. And totally expected one of them to go this week.

That was incredible. Some really heroic scenes in this episode, but that was one of the most heroic scenes I've seen in years in tv shows/movies. It felt so real and amazing.

They deserved better than to be killed offscreen :(

TeddyBoy

It was an amazing episode for me, I enjoy fighting and it was great to see how strong the wall actually was (Ballistas, the Scythe, oil, the archer posts and hoists). The willing army pretty cool as well with the giants and mammoths, can't wait for the next episode!

Jinaar

Never read the books. My theory is Jon Snow kills Mance Rayder and leads the Wildlings against everyone, drinks the blood of the Lanisters. He said so himself, kill Mance and the tribes would disperse. But kill Mance and take control. Now that's a good looking stew.

Ceres

Banned
Never read the books. My theory is Jon Snow kills Mance Rayder and leads the Wildlings against everyone, drinks the blood of the Lanisters. He said so himself, kill Mance and the tribes would disperse. But kill Mance and take control. Now that's a good looking stew.

king of the north north king of the north north

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Weak episode IMHO, as I feared.
Ep. 8 is a better Ep. 9 than this Ep. 9 is.
Thank god Game of Thrones is 90% politics and talking and just 10% large scale fighting.

And: No, I wasn't expecting some Lord Of The Rings level battle. It's just that the Wall storyline is not doing it for me. Nor the Bran one is, neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom