• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
UfpX7Bo.gif

I love and hate this. The kid should be terrified not giving John McClane style silent nods
Is this The Expendables?

I thought Sam was done for. Like 100% sure he was going to die.

Letting him man up. Snatching a kiss from his lady. His speech about fear. Taking down the crazed wildling with the crossbow bolt to the head. Going up the wall for Jon Snow.

I was so pleased he got to keep his promise. My wife was like, "She is going to fuck him so hard!"

It's funny, it was the complete opposite for me. I never for one second thought he was gonna die. I didn't think for a second Jon would die either, yet I wasn't at all surprised Ygritte died (though at first I thought it would be Sam that killed her, was surprised it was the kid). It's weird because this is the one of the only shows that can still surprise me (see Oberyn).

Sam has almost Arya levels of plot armor at this point IMO. He's one of the safest characters, so is his lady and "son".

Vashetti

Banned
I'm not.

Episode 10 usually ties the story up with a nice big bow for the next season. They NEVER leave it on a cliffhanger.

Might want to read some interviews about the next episode then. The writers say it's the biggest finale they've ever done, and it's going to be the longest GoT episode yet at 66 minutes.

demolitio

We haven't seen him in a while and I can't imagine they would end the season without him having some sort of a progress/resolution.

Im starting to believe the theory someone mentioned earlier in the thread about Stannis somehow conveniently saving Tyrion from execution. I believe.

I used to think that but it appears we won't get Stannis' invasion this season. I just think we'll see him and his army next episode so people get excited for next season and I really do hope he has the last scene instead of Dany.

I think Jamie is more likely to save Tyrion given the whole build-up to this point is him becoming his own man instead of what everyone else tells him or thinks him to be. He's the one person that truly loves Tyrion and I don't see Tyrion dying anytime soon. For fear of repeating myself for the 20th time, I think another person is more likely to die.

I mean, if it was Stannis, would Tyrion really be saved? The Lannisters would be dead in that scenario most likely too.

But boy do I want it to be Stannis. His plot is actually going to be interesting next season and hopefully some people that were bored with him before fall in line. I'm more worried about what type of king he'll be see since I still compare his character similar to rulers in the medieval ages that were being influenced by a leader of their faith rather than having complete control themselves. I just hope Stannis' honor outweighs any loyalties he has to Melisandre.

There was also not even some twist etc., all the main (good sided) characters survived that you would normally expect to survive in a show. So it just went along pretty swell for the crows despite being in the worst possible position under shitty leadership.

Honestly, this pretty much sums up the way people complain about Game of Thrones.

Scenario A: The good guys lose.
The Response: Oh man fuck this show, the good guys always lose, GRRM is a dick, and honestly it's just completely predictable at this point that the good guys will lose.

Scenario B: The good guys win.
The Response: That was so predictable, obviously I saw that coming from a mile away that the good guys were going to win. Boring.

Yeah, I find the incessant complaining pretty irritating at this point.

It's funny, it was the complete opposite for me. I never for one second thought he was gonna die. I didn't think for a second Jon would die either, yet I wasn't at all surprised Ygritte died (though at first I thought it would be Sam that killed her, was surprised it was the kid). It's weird because this is the one of the only shows that can still surprise me (see Oberyn).

Sam has almost Arya levels of plot armor at this point IMO. He's one of the safest characters, so is his lady and "son".

yeah, this. Pretty much.

Honestly, this pretty much sums up the way people complain about Game of Thrones.

The Response: Oh man fuck this show, the good guys always lose, GRRM is a dick, and honestly it's just completely predictable at this point that the good guys will lose.

The Response: That was so predictable, obviously I saw that coming from a mile away that the good guys were going to win. Boring.

If anything, Scenario B people are clueless and more annoying because the show's most known quality is that no one is safe. I was listening to NPR other day and they introduced it as a show infamous for killing good guys in craziest way imaginable. So Scenario B people are watching entirely something different, smoking something, or watched an episode here and there.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
If anything, Scenario B people are clueless and more annoying because the show's most known quality is that no one is safe. I was listening to NPR other day and they introduced it as a show infamous for killing good guys in craziest way imaginable. So Scenario B people are watching entirely something different, smoking something, or watched an episode here and there.

I completely agree.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So is "The Wall" completely made of ice? Or is it a tall cliff of rock covered in ice?

And is it literally a wall in that there's another side that's level with the ground on the front side, or is everything above the wall literally up there at the same height and the entire top of the continent is built on a cliff?

One thing I must have missed in the explanation or something.

So is "The Wall" completely made of ice? Or is it a tall cliff of rock covered in ice?

And is it literally a wall in that there's another side that's level with the ground on the front side, or is everything above the wall literally up there at the same height and the entire top of the continent is built on a cliff?

i think it is brick, covered in ice. or ice bricks. it was definitely built by someone thousands of years ago. so yeah, it's a massive standing wall with the front and back level.

Nameless

I sincerly hope Janos Slynt is executed for desertion. Both Sam and Ollie spilled blood defending the Wall, while Janos's sword was cleaner than Ser Barristan's. The Hound would have strangled him with his own guts for base camping the entire match.

Cyan

Banned

It's a giant wall of ice. It's literally a wall. There's an elevator on the other side that the Night's Watch uses to get up top.

I think the explanation we've been given is something like "a wizard did it."

demolitio

It's a giant wall of ice. It's literally a wall. There's an elevator on the other side that the Night's Watch uses to get up top.

A wall with magic properties specifically for the white walkers, right?

For some reason, I keep thinking of a South Park episode dealing with the Great Wall of China and the Mongols every time we see the wall. :p

Curufinwe

I sincerly hope Janos Slynt is executed for desertion. Both Sam and Ollie spilled blood defending the Wall, while Janos's sword was cleaner than Ser Barristan's. The Hound would have strangled him with his own guts for base camping the entire match.

I was worried for a second he would try and interfere with Gilly.

It was built 8,000 years before the current events in Westeros. Something like that doesn't stay in place without the aid of magic.

There is an actual answer as to who designed and built it if people care to know.

Seasons 1 mentions Bran The Builder and him "building" the wall.

Arya Stark: "He wants to be a knight of the Kingsguard. He can't be one now, can he?"
Eddard Stark: "No. But someday he could be lord of a holdfast or sit on the King's council. Or he might raise castles, like Brandon the Builder."

S01E04

Nameless

Emmy submissions

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/09/game-thrones-emmy-submissions-season-4/

The final nominations will be announced by the Academy on July 10th, with the awards ceremony taking place later this summer.
Here’s the 2014 Game of Thrones submission list:

• Outstanding Drama Series
  • Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series-
    “The Children”
  • Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: Alex Graves (
    “The Children”
    ), Alik Sakharov (“The Laws of Gods and Men”), Neil Marshall (“The Watchers on the Wall”).
  • Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Charles Dance, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington
  • Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series -  Emilia Clarke, Natalie Dormer, Lena Headey, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams
  • Guest Actor in a Drama Series: Pedro Pascal
  • Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Diana Rigg
    Art Direction: “The Laws of Gods and Men,” “The Mountain and the Viper”
  • Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series
  • Oustanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series: “Mockingbird,” “Oathkeeper,” “The Lion and the Rose,” “Two Swords”
  • Sound Editing: “The Watchers on the Wall”
  • Sound Mixing: “The Watchers on the Wall”
  • Outstanding Costumes: “The Lion and the Rose”
  • Outstanding Hairstyling: “The Lion and the Rose”
  • Outstanding Make-up (Non-prosthetic): “Oathkeeper”
  • Outstanding Prosthetic Make-up:
    “The Children”
  • Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Miniseries or Movie
  • Outstanding Interactive Program – Game of Thrones Premiere: Facebook Live and Instagram

Spoiler tagged the finale's title.

Dance, Williams, Turner, Headey, Dinklage, and Pascal are most deserving of nominations imo.

That is regarding anything

Scenario A: Sequels shown at E3
The Response: Man videogames are basically dead in many ways, these developers just reskinning games all the time, have no creativity, what has happened to gaming because in my days.. well IN MY DAYS, there used to be so much more creativity.

Scenario B: New IPs shown
The Response: Wow.. looked kinda boring, why isn't is like game x? Combat could have been so much better if it was like game x. I saw a screen tearing during the 3 minute clip. Chooses that one thing that is similar to another game and calls it a complete copy of that game for having a single trait of a previous IP, not going to bother if it's exactly like that franchise.

Edit: Pascal needs to win every award he could be in. Absolutely mesmerizing acting, directing, and writing whenever he was on screen.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
i think it is brick, covered in ice. or ice bricks. it was definitely built by someone thousands of years ago. so yeah, it's a massive standing wall with the front and back level.

Thanks. I guess if actual humans can build something like the pyramids, I can accept that fictional people built a huge wall of ice or bricks. What really gets me though is how they got that giant anchor in there. And I guess they have more along the edge? I mean why only have one right under the castle. Surely someone would try to climb up anywhere along the wall on the countless miles to the east and west.

Are there more outposts along the top? Surely it's hundreds of miles long. Why only concentrate all manpower into the direct center? And if you're bad guys, it'd be easier to try climbing up at the very edges.

Have they explained why bad guys can't just walk (I figure the ocean is ice anyway) or boat (If it's not) around the sides of the wall? It's not like the wall surrounds the entirety of the north... or does it?

Lamel

Banned

How do you not know it's a wall.

Soule

Thanks. I guess if actual humans can build something like the pyramids, I can accept that fictional people built a huge wall of ice or bricks. What really gets me though is how they got that giant anchor in there. And I guess they have more along the edge? I mean why only have one right under the castle. Surely someone would try to climb up anywhere along the wall on the countless miles to the east and west.

Are there more outposts along the top? Surely it's hundreds of miles long. Why only concentrate all manpower into the direct center? And if you're bad guys, it'd be easier to try climbing up at the very edges.

Have they explained why bad guys can't just walk (I figure the ocean is ice anyway) or boat (If it's not) around the sides of the wall? It's not like the wall surrounds the entirety of the north... or does it?

I've wondered this as well.

Cyan

Banned

The_Wall_Map.PNG

Loads of outposts all along the wall, but in the time of the show, they've mostly been abandoned except for Castle Black, since they just don't have the manpower to hold them all. I'm guessing the abandoned ones have had their tunnels sealed, as Jon Snow suggested they do at Castle Black to stop the wildlings breaking through.

Edit: oh, and as far as why they can't just walk around, I think the two outposts at either end are also still manned?

Because it could just be a name as a cliff would be more logical. But apparently it's a wall that was built.

Maybe they explained it in season 1, I dunno. It's been years.

Castle black is on the south of the wall. The bulk of the wildling army including the mammoths and giants were north of the wall, trying to breach the gate at the base that goes through the wall to Castle Black at the other side.

You've seen people go through the gate before north of the wall. The wall has been shown from the north perspective a lot, especially when Jon, Ygritte etc climbed it.

Lamel

Banned
Because it could just be a name as a cliff would be more logical. But apparently it's a wall that was built.

Maybe they explained it in season 1, I dunno. It's been years.

No I mean you don't need an explanation, you just never saw it in the show? Like the elevator they take to get up there? Pay more attention man.

Figgles

The_Wall_Map.PNG

Loads of outposts all along the wall, but in the time of the show, they've mostly been abandoned except for Castle Black, since they just don't have the manpower to hold them all. I'm guessing the abandoned ones have had their tunnels sealed, as Jon Snow suggested they do at Castle Black to stop the wildlings breaking through.

Edit: oh, and as far as why they can't just walk around, I think the two outposts at either end are also still manned?

Eastwatch has been mentioned before as being another manned outpost. There was one more. I'd assume it was at the opposite end of the wall.

I just got so confused about the whole wall thing cuz I saw Jon and some of the wildlings scaling one and then... they were still NORTH of the Wall.

Maybe I shouldnt think of the wall as a straight line? Idk.

Whatever. The North is where the grimdark fights are happening. I really like the watchmen vibes, but I cant stand Sam and his arc. Im willing to take bets about the odds of him croaking >__>;;; I just think he wont die. Bleh.

Having said that, I like the Crows' brotherhood and the whole White Walker zombieness and the weird north-folks' warped minds, cuz it's cold there all the time, etc. Its very ambient.

Cyan

Banned
I just got so confused about the whole wall thing cuz I saw Jon and some of the wildlings scaling one and then... they were still NORTH of the Wall.
Jon and a group of wildlings climbed the Wall and were then south of the Wall. Jon went back to Castle Black and the wildlings marauded around killing people who just wanted to eat some damn potatoes for dinner.

That group of wildlings attacked Castle Black from behind when the signal fire was lit. At the same time, the main body of wildlings, north of the Wall, began their first attack.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Castle black is on the south of the wall. The bulk of the wildling army including the mammoths and giants were north of the wall, trying to breach the gate at the base that goes through the wall to Castle Black at the other side.

You've seen people go through the gate before north of the wall. The wall has been shown from the north perspective a lot, especially when Jon, Ygritte etc climbed it.
Oh. Now it makes fucking sense. They're up NORTH trying to get down SOUTH. I always thought they just wanted to get up north to take over.

It fucking makes sense now.

How the fuck did I not realize that? How thick is the wall? And is Castle Black on top of it or behind it?

So, have we ever seen the SOUTH side of the wall before then? How much south of the wall is frozen winter area?

Thing is I always assumed we were always seeing the south side because that's how you see it on the map in the intro and pretty much every map since they're always oriented the same way.

No I mean you don't need an explanation, you just never saw it in the show? Like the elevator they take to get up there? Pay more attention man.
lol

I'd be a stupid moron if I were that much of a stupid moron. What do you take me for? A stupid moron?

Edit: So why are they trying to take out the outpost in the center? Do they just want the castle? Or are they trying to get through to the south side? If they're just trying to make their way out of the winter areas, it'd surely be much easier to take out the western outpost at the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom