• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

'wights' are just zombies, mindless and probably smelly. assumedly made by whitewalkers who are the fuck-awesome old guys on dead horses.
imagine them as shiny blue magicians that can turn dead sleepy bodies into scary hungry bodies that just want to eat fat sams and mopey johnsnows.
nobody wants that to happen, especially not our johnsnow, so that is why he is sad.

anyway, it seems that whitewalker magic men need Real Human Babies to turn in to other whitewalkers, perhaps with magic or a really good education system.

so yeah:
dead people get turned into zombies by whitewalkers.
whitewalkers turn babies (maybe only special babies? like harry potter was) into whitewalkers.
whitewalkers are neat.
Do the wights, like the ones that attacked Mormont at Castle Black, have blue eyes?

So, where are the whitewalkers? They were marching South. Mance's army seems to have overtaken them?!

Nameless

Do the wights, like the ones that attacked Mormont at Castle Black, have blue eyes?

So, where are the whitewalkers? They were marching South. Mance's army seems to have overtaken them?!

The last time we saw them in mass they marched on the Fist of the First Men and Mormont's 300 Crows held up there.

Wights_1x10.png

No way that was all of them, though. And I suspect they hit The Fist to 'recruit' some more wights. They won't march south in force until Winter.

And there's no indication the Wall built to keep them out won't work.

'wights' are just zombies, mindless and probably smelly. assumedly made by whitewalkers who are the fuck-awesome old guys on dead horses.
imagine them as shiny blue magicians that can turn dead sleepy bodies into scary hungry bodies that just want to eat fat sams and mopey johnsnows.
nobody wants that to happen, especially not our johnsnow, so that is why he is sad.

anyway, it seems that whitewalker magic men need Real Human Babies to turn in to other whitewalkers, perhaps with magic or a really good education system.

so yeah:
dead people get turned into zombies by whitewalkers.
whitewalkers turn babies (maybe only special babies? like harry potter was) into whitewalkers.
whitewalkers are neat.

Which leads to the important questions.

Are there baby white walker nurseries? Do baby white walkers go to white walker pre-school? Do baby white walkers grow up to be adolescent white walkers who skip cryptic corpse arrangement class to smoke white walker weed in the icy mountains of the Land of Always Winter?

Even if Jon Snow manages to kill mance where will the 100,000+ Fighters go? They'll most likely be turned when the White Walkers get closer right? The nights watch seems to be fucked.

Sendero

You mean Grenn? Cuz Pyp got arrow'd in the neck by Ygritte. lol
Haha, thanks. Somehow mixed them. Him being headshot'd was kind of funny. Not sure why Sam wasn't sniping as well, didn't seem like loading a ballista took much time anyway.

Which reminds me: Ser Alliser survived (cretin-faced leader), right? With Jon gone, there is a serious lack of proper leadership on the Wall now. Will they be able to withstand another attack?

I know this is a random thing to nitpick, but in Season 1 when the Night's Watch finds the corpse that they're not yet aware is a wight, Sam specifically says that it doesn't smell like anything... which was the weird part about it.

Are there baby white walker nurseries? Do baby white walkers go to white walker pre-school? Do baby white walkers grow up to be adolescent white walkers who skip cryptic corpse arrangement class to smoke white walker weed in the icy mountains of the Land of Always Winter?

Someone needs to get at the showrunners and GRRM immediately. I must know the answers to these questions.

Thanks. I guess if actual humans can build something like the pyramids, I can accept that fictional people built a huge wall of ice or bricks. What really gets me though is how they got that giant anchor in there. And I guess they have more along the edge? I mean why only have one right under the castle. Surely someone would try to climb up anywhere along the wall on the countless miles to the east and west.

Are there more outposts along the top? Surely it's hundreds of miles long. Why only concentrate all manpower into the direct center? And if you're bad guys, it'd be easier to try climbing up at the very edges.

Have they explained why bad guys can't just walk (I figure the ocean is ice anyway) or boat (If it's not) around the sides of the wall? It's not like the wall surrounds the entirety of the north... or does it?
The baddies can. This is why the lands nearest the wall are mostly deserted now. Raiding parties either climb the wall or sail around it. I think it's been mentioned once or twice that this occasionally occurs, and that at one point more people lived just south of the wall. As to why Mance doesn't sail around the wall, I don't know. Maybe he doesn't have much of a navy.

All this talk of the white walkers has made me realized that I'm a bit disappointed with how they've been filmed. The first episode made the wights appear horrifying, but the zombies seem to have made the transition from 28 Days Later ones to the George Romero variety.

There's Eastwatch which keeps an eye on the bay for ships, to some extent at least. Plus it would take a massive amount of ships to move that many wildlings, and I doubt they're the most skilled of sailors considering they spend almost their whole lives on land.

Has anyone here played the GoT rpg?

It's not the greatest game, but I got it for $5 on PSN and have been playing through it and enjoying it.

Anyway, I'm playing right now and just met someone who looked familiar, but couldn't place my finger on it. They started talking and the character sounded familiar too, but again, I couldn't place my finger on it. Until the end of the conversation when someone referred to him as Maester Martin! Super cool!

Edit: Here he is!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Hey, but if you're on Team Assholes, everything going to shit at the end is a W right?

Ramsay.gif

Looking at the HBO map I'm learning a few things.

First, that Dany actually started on the west side of the continent closest to Westeros and has been moving east. I had thought she started on the east side of Essos and was slowly moving west towards Westeros thinking maybe she was making her way across to take it back. Would have made more sense. Start east, move west, then sail across and take over the continent piece by piece. The way she's doing it is weird because once she makes it all the way across, she'll have to then march all the way back west. Silly girl.

You're looking at it wrong bro. She started at Pentos which is where her brother gave her to Khal Drogo. Than the Khal took the Khalasar east all the way to Vaes Dothrak. After the Khal dies, she takes her remaining followers across the Red Waste to Qarth. She's now heading West by going through Astapor and now Mareen. She didn't go east because she wanted to, but because the Khal decided that's what he wanted to do. Don't you remember the scene where her brother is asking Jorah why on earth is the Khal taking his [Viserys's army] east?

Honestly, this pretty much sums up the way people complain about Game of Thrones.

Scenario A: The good guys lose.
The Response: Oh man fuck this show, the good guys always lose, GRRM is a dick, and honestly it's just completely predictable at this point that the good guys will lose.

Scenario B: The good guys win.
The Response: That was so predictable, obviously I saw that coming from a mile away that the good guys were going to win. Boring.

Yeah, I find the incessant complaining pretty irritating at this point.

Maybe it wasn't clear in my post but I didn't complain about the plot being predicable (it actually wasn't btw, just that it went nicely along the plan of the Crows basically, plus no real twists anyway that one should predict), but that they used a whole episode for it. It just makes it less interesting for me to watch. I simply gave examples for why it worked wonderfully for Black Water.

Even if Jon Snow manages to kill mance where will the 100,000+ Fighters go? They'll most likely be turned when the White Walkers get closer right? The nights watch seems to be fucked.

Imagine if the White Walkers army suddenly attacks the Wildlings from behind.
The Crows, already prepared to be overrun by the real Wildling attack, would barely see what's going on, but they would be terrified as hell. "Who the fuck is taking this huge army down?!"

Or worse, if we actually do get someone to fight the Wildlings head on, like Stannis and his army, the White Walkers will just take over every fallen in the aftermath :O
(this could actually be their plan? Clearly they could have raided the Wildlings long ago. So maybe they just want to push them to the South so that they do the work for them)

all of this is revealed in the books:
no of course it isn't you silly person
how is the white walker leadership decided? democracy? do they simply choose the oldest, coldest, most crinkly dude? the one with the highest geometry wars 2 score? the one who's thrown a sword by some watery tart?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So why did Ygrette only shoot Pyp but then stood there when JonTron.. I mean Sam was holding him? I know plot armor but seriously. Did she just have a heart for some reason? I half expected him to be dead right then and there.

Jonogunn

So where is it safe to die without turning into a white walker? How south of the wall? And did thy explain why and where the line is drawn?

TeddyBoy

It's not the greatest game, but I got it for $5 on PSN and have been playing through it and enjoying it.

Anyway, I'm playing right now and just met someone who looked familiar, but couldn't place my finger on it. They started talking and the character sounded familiar too, but again, I couldn't place my finger on it. Until the end of the conversation when someone referred to him as Maester Martin! Super cool!

How did I not see this before!

I've finished the game last week, I think it was a really cool little title and worth playing if you need a GoT fix. Having some of the characters from the TV show be voice actors for their characters was a nice touch too.

oh wow i didnt know there was a GoT rpg

.... and thats pretty cool. Easter Egg Martin :>

Vagabundo

Very enjoyable episode.

Why did Manse not sent his ice climber troops further down the wall, the wall is huge. They could just walk along the top and attack the defenders there. He knows the wall is only defended at Castle Black.

Is there a timeline for the show related to the episodes? Just curious as to how long it took Manse's army to get to the wall - it seemed to take ages. It's hard to tell time in the show because the seasons don't really change, or change very slowly.

So where is it safe to die without turning into a white walker? How south of the wall? And did thy explain why and where the line is drawn?

Oh, does it work like that? Just an auto-respawn? I thought maybe the WW have to touch your corpse or something.
I guess it makes sense with how careful they are.

So maybe it's enough to die on ice/snow/deep frozen ground?

Vagabundo

Oh, does it work like that? Just an auto-respawn? I thought maybe the WW have to touch your corpse or something.
I guess it makes sense with how careful they are.

So maybe it's enough to die on ice/snow/deep frozen ground?

I thought they have to be in close proximity, but maybe they do have to touch or kill you personally.

The Blackwatch may not be too sure themselves and are just being cautious.

jediyoshi

That thing is upside down. Presumably it's intended to be able to be pulled back up and reset, but wouldn't it just catch on the wall? Of course it were to "upside down" that wouldn't be an issue.

..the anchor? The entirety of the thing is sheering off the wall wholesale, it's meant to be scraping along. It being upside down would probably be worse depending on how it's angled because then the bottom of it would be making less contact with the wall and covering less area.

EVH

Why? The ginger minge was a stone cold killer.

Why? He's one of the few characters on this show to successfully get his (rightful) revenge.

He did Snow a favor in the end.

Ygritte killed his mom and dad. The kid got his just revenge.

It was a nice juxtaposition with Oberyn's epic fail last week.

He saved Snow's life. Call me crazy, but all that smiling didn't make me believe any less that Ygritte would've killed him. To hell with her and good for that kid.

Ygrette wasn't really a bitch. She didn't kill the fat guy gilrfriend and her son, so I don't believe she would really kill jon snow specially after that emotive moment and letting him go in the first place.

Come on guys, it was like a summer love, just in winter. It didnt have to end like that. Fuck that kid, hope he dies smashed by his fucking elevator :(

Alpende

Ygrette wasn't really a bitch. She didn't kill the fat guy gilrfriend and her son, so I don't believe she would really kill jon snow specially after that emotive moment and letting him go in the first place.

Come on guys, it was like a summer love, just in winter. It didnt have to end like that. Fuck that kid, hope he dies smashed by his fucking elevator :(

She killed a shitton of innocent people and even bragged about it. She's a bitch eventhough I enjoyed her on screen. She got what she deserved.

Khaz

Yeah. Sparing one person when you've killed dozens doesn't exactly make you a good person.

It's war, they were on a mission, they were her enemies. She acts tough when in group but spares non-fighting people whenever she's on her own. She's a woman in a men's world, she has to prove herself constantly, as shown in this very episode when confronted to that cannibal. Meeting Jon Snow could have been the first step in her path to redemption and I would have had no problem with that. But Kid got his revenge and I'm also cool with it, they couldn't have both lived in the same world.

spirity

I thought Ygritte was ok. But when she stripped off in that cave and I saw her malnourished body I nearly puked

inb4 sharp knees ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom