• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got so confused about the whole wall thing cuz I saw Jon and some of the wildlings scaling one and then... they were still NORTH of the Wall.

They weren't. That small group of wildlings with Jon scaled the wall to the south. That's where Ygritte shot Jon with an arrow (it wasn't snowy there). The wildling group have been roaming around south of the wall since then, until their attack on Castle Black this last episode.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They weren't. That small group of wildlings with Jon scaled the wall to the south. That's where Ygritte shot Jon with an arrow (it wasn't snowy there). The wildling group have been roaming around south of the wall since then, until their attack on Castle Black this last episode.
So which side are they on then? Who is up north of the wall. Who is down south. How far does the snow reach? Where is the castle Black located?

I'm so confused!

It fucking makes sense now.

How the fuck did I not realize that?

So, have we ever seen the SOUTH side of the wall before then? How much south of the wall is frozen hinterland?

Yes we have seen south of the wall. Most of the show takes place south of the wall. King's Landing, Winterfell, all those other towns are south of the wall.

Maybe you've been confused by people of Winterfell being called Northerners and Robb being called King of the North. That is all still south of the wall, Think of everything south of the wall on that continent as one Country as America and the wall as the US/Canadian border. Washington is still the north geographically in the US, but people in Canada would consider Washington as the south

I think at one point Bran calls himself a Northerner to Osha, but since she is a wildling from north of the wall, she says something along the lines of "you're all southerners to us."

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, I am so confused. Does the HBO map show the precise location of every main character so I can try to get some perspective on where everyone is?

I'm gonna try and go find the HBO map. I haven't looked at it since season 2 or early 3.

Oh. Now it makes fucking sense. They're up NORTH trying to get down SOUTH. I always thought they just wanted to get up north to take over.

How the fuck did I not realize that? How thick is the wall? And is Castle Black on top of it or behind it?

So, have we ever seen the SOUTH side of the wall before then? How much south of the wall is frozen winter area?

Thing is I always assumed we were always seeing the south side because that's how you see it on the map in the intro and pretty much every map since they're always oriented the same way.

lol

I'd be a stupid moron if I were that much of a stupid moron. What do you take me for? A stupid moron?

Edit: So why are they trying to take out the outpost in the center? Do they just want the castle? Or are they trying to get through to the south side? If they're just trying to make their way out of the winter areas, it'd surely be much easier to take out the western outpost at the edge.

Castle black is on the south of the wall, so every shot of that and its elevator is a shot of the walls south face. The idea of the attack was that Ygritte and co would take over Castle Black from the south while the Wildling army attacks the gate from the north. Then they can all get through the wall to attack the south of Westeros where the rest of the show takes place.

I'm not too sure why they're focusing on Castle Black. I can't recall, but they might think every castle along the wall is fortified just as well. They thought Castle Black had 10x more men than it did have because Jon lied to them.

Part of the reason you might be confused is that most characters on the show talk about "the north". The north isn't just north of the wall. It's just the north of the continent and includes cities such as Winterfell which are south of the wall, but aren't south in the continent. Kings Landing is in the south of Westeros, and south of the wall. Winterfell is in north Westeros, and south of the wall. Castle Black is in north Westeros and at the base of the south of the wall.

Wow they submitted ep 10 for writing and directing? Hype building.
Damn it... I think I have been spoiled for a few weeks on the major act of what happens in the last episode. I really hope it doesn't happen, but I fear it may. I'll try to enjoy it excluding that very small, important fact. :( EDIT: There's no insinuations to take from this. Just that I might know what might happen and that's it.

I'm going to go into isolation for the next 9 1/2 months and start kicking ass whenever someone talks about book GoT after this season. :mad:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
wall-slice-gif-ban-2.gif

Showaddy

I'm not too sure why they're focusing on Castle Black. I can't recall, but they might think every castle along the wall is fortified just as well. They thought Castle Black had 10x more men than it did have because Jon lied to them.

Jon told Mance 3 were manned but one is in the mountains and one is by the sea. Castle Black's basically the only one where you can get 100,000 people through.

Chopper

Damn it... I think I have been spoiled for a few weeks on the major act of what happens in the last episode. I really hope it doesn't happen, but I fear it may. I'll try to enjoy it excluding that very small, important fact. :(

I'm going to go into isolation for the next 9 1/2 months and start kicking ass whenever someone talks about book GoT after this season. :mad:
You are making insinuations that probably (definitely) won't be appreciated. In fact, I'm annoyed I read it. Edit your post man.

You guys are killing me. This is literally the least complicated thing in the entire show.
Agreed. Though I've made a point of scouring over the maps, and consider myself a bit of a Westeros geography expert.

You are making insinuations that probably (definitely) won't be appreciated. In fact, I'm annoyed I read it. Edit your post man.

Agreed. Though I've made a point of scouring over the maps, and consider myself a bit of a Westeros geography expert.
I'll just say that I'm not spoiling anything and if I say anything, it will lead to insinuations. I'm sad I might know the result and that's what I'm sad about. That's the most generic thing I can tell you and anything more will lead to insinuations. That's all you should take from the post.

I'm quite anal about spoilers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Especially because they show the map at the beginning of every episode.
Yeah? So what? They only show it from the south. And always refer to everything having to do with that area as the "North". It's not hard to understand someone might assume everyone was down south and trying to go north over the wall since they only show it on maps from below.

Sue us.

Chopper

I'll just say that I'm not spoiling anything and if I say anything, it will lead to insinuations. I'm sad I might know the result and that's what I'm sad about. That's the most generic thing I can tell you and anything more will lead to insinuations. That's all you should take from the post.

I'm quite anal about spoilers.
Fair enough. I took that you were inferring that something sad happens. I am pleased that's not the case.

I am absolutely positive that this series is gonna end on a high. Right guys? Right...?

You guys are killing me. This is literally the least complicated thing in the entire show.

Sorry. Im terrible with movements and stuff. Needs arrows and dotted lines and animated visual aids :x

Anyway, Im on board with the whole Wildlings v Watchmen war. Damn logistics aside.

:>

GREAT BAN GIF \o/

Chopper

My only concern is Tyrion. I can see them exploiting a dead Mountain loophole re: his sentence, but I would much rather see Jamie break him the fuck out of King's Landing. Having said that, it's difficult to see how he actually fits into the bigger story, which I presume is army of ice zombies vs. fucking dragons!

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
My only concern is Tyrion. I can see them exploiting a dead Mountain loophole re: his sentence, but I would much rather see Jamie break him the fuck out of King's Landing. Having said that, it's difficult to see how he actually fits into the bigger story, which I presume is army of ice zombies vs. fucking dragons!

I feel like he's staying alive... (I haven't read the books). But yeah I don't know. Maybe he gets on the good side with Snow and Daenerys since he has a "just heart" like they kind of do? I dunno.

Or he could be dead in the next season.

I'm glads to be spoiler free now. Ygritte's death was the only thing remaining that I knew. Bloody google... I searched her name the first episode she appeared to find out the actresses name and one sentence in a search result was something like "She lay lifeless among the bodies of...". I didn't know when it was coming, but I pretty much figured during the last episode it was then.

Cyan

Banned
I honestly don't know if Tyrion's gonna make it or not. I'm leaning towards him somehow wriggling out of this despite the bleak outlook because he's just too awesome to die, but that's informed by countless shows and movies and books where that kind of thing always happens. On GoT, it really could go either way.

The one thing I'm sure of is that either way, there'll be plenty of people letting us know just how predictable it was. :p

Chopper

I'm glads to be spoiler free now. Ygritte's death was the only thing remaining that I knew. Bloody google... I searched her name the first episode she appeared to find out the actresses name and one sentence in a search result was something like "She lay lifeless among the bodies of...". I didn't know when it was coming, but I pretty much figured during the last episode it was then.
Me too. I have recently stopped reading the fourth book because it became apparent that a couple of things were happening in a different order from the show. Ygritte's death was the first spoiler I encountered, but I'm pleased I read it from the book, rather than some cunt on Youtube. I have since put the book down and will catch up when the season's done. Me and the missus are gonna be sure to film our reactions to the last episode. The Oberyn one has got 4,000 views! Sadly I will be in the other thread next season. I can't help myself.

Figgles

Seriously. The wall divides north from south. The night's watch is on the south side. They are charged with keeping the crazy shit from the north side at bay. Tormund's party hops over the wall to attack castle black from the south, while mance hits it from the north.

Flandy

I honestly don't know if Tyrion's gonna make it or not. I'm leaning towards him somehow wriggling out of this despite the bleak outlook because he's just too awesome to die, but that's informed by countless shows and movies and books where that kind of thing always happens. On GoT, it really could go either way.

The one thing I'm sure of is that either way, there'll be plenty of people letting us know just how predictable it was. :p

I've convinced myself that Tyrion will die so that I won't be as upset if I had convinced myself he would live. Really hoping he survives but I doubt it :\

Chopper

By far the most confusing thing about the show is the difference between wights and whitewalkers. Whitewalkers make the wights, right? Like with Craster's babies. But then is every "infected" dead person individually converted by a whitewalker? Or does that just happen? Is one more dangerous than the other? Where the fuck are they? Didn't they march past Sam, who was heading south, two seasons ago? Are they with Mance? Bleurgh.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Looking at the HBO map I'm learning a few things.

First, that Dany actually started on the west side of the continent closest to Westeros and has been moving east. I had thought she started on the east side of Essos and was slowly moving west towards Westeros thinking maybe she was making her way across to take it back. Would have made more sense. Start east, move west, then sail across and take over the continent piece by piece. The way she's doing it is weird because once she makes it all the way across, she'll have to then march all the way back west. Silly girl.

Also, the characters name is actually Hot Pie? On the HBO site it just names that character from a few episodes ago as "Hot Pie". Really? lol Did they not give him a name?

And thirdly, my god the site is terrible. All the Flash it uses actually makes my top of the line MBP with a fricking quad-core i7 slow as molasses.

I need to rewatch the series and follow the guide as I go every episode. There's so many locations and people to remember.

Seriously. The wall divides north from south. The night's watch is on the south side. They are charged with keeping the crazy shit from the north side at bay. Tormund's party hops over the wall to attack castle black from the south, while mance hits it from the north.

OH

*lightbulb dings*

thank ye, sir :D

but then, where was Mance? He didn't rock up from the North side? In the last episode?

Lamel

Banned
Oh. Now it makes fucking sense. They're up NORTH trying to get down SOUTH. I always thought they just wanted to get up north to take over.

How the fuck did I not realize that? How thick is the wall? And is Castle Black on top of it or behind it?

So, have we ever seen the SOUTH side of the wall before then? How much south of the wall is frozen winter area?

Thing is I always assumed we were always seeing the south side because that's how you see it on the map in the intro and pretty much every map since they're always oriented the same way.

lol

I'd be a stupid moron if I were that much of a stupid moron. What do you take me for? A stupid moron?

Edit: So why are they trying to take out the outpost in the center? Do they just want the castle? Or are they trying to get through to the south side? If they're just trying to make their way out of the winter areas, it'd surely be much easier to take out the western outpost at the edge.

Yes.

rando14

OH

*lightbulb dings*

but then, where was Mance? He didn't rock up from the North side? In the last episode?

Mance is on the north side. He is the guy who is currently leading the charge against Jon and the Wall. At the end of the last episode, Jon left the wall to go north and hopefully treat with Mance.

Mance is on the north side. He is the guy who is currently leading the charge against Jon and the Wall. At the end of the last episode, Jon left the wall to go north and hopefully treat with Mance.

I know which one Mance is.... Oddly. Maybe cuz Im a Ciaran Hinds fan, sort of. I meant, we didn't see him in the last episode? Leading the attack, and such?

Cyan

Banned
Also, the characters name is actually Hot Pie? On the HBO site it just names that character from a few episodes ago as "Hot Pie". Really? lol Did they not give him a name?
Hey, the guy really likes pie.

Also, if you didn't know, he's the secret hero of the show. (Hint: don't give up on the gravy.)

The giants and mammoths and such were all part of Mance's army. He didn't appear in the episode personally, but he's hanging around somewhere a bit north of the Wall.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Haha don't worry about it, please anyone feel free to ask questions no matter how silly you think they are!!
Okay. Can you make HBO's GOT website not suck? lol

If it weren't so shitty I might have been using it all along.

I really do need to rewatch the series. Once episode 10 is over I'm gonna start again and follow along with the guide.

Then promptly wait 9 months for season 5.

Oh sorry I misunderstood. No, we didn't see him in the last episode.

Cyan said:
The giants and mammoths and such were all part of Mance's army. He didn't appear in the episode personally, but he's hanging around somewhere a bit north of the Wall.

Thanks, you both <3 I'm really clear on the logistics now :D

I really like the whole North stuff. Its very gritty and there is a vibe that the rest of the realms are just fucking around because they dont realise the real threat from the North.

It reminds me of fictions about strange, desolate, hopeless battle at the edge of civilisation. Wonderful stuff.

Of course Ghost is my fav, but since the wolves have a habit of dying horribly, I'll just lie to myself and say I dont caaaaaaaaaaare (pls GRRM have mercy ;___;)

Ichi_

Neo Member
OH

*lightbulb dings*

We haven't seen Mance since the last season, but he is leading the army of wildlings on the north side of the wall, Jon left the gate to head north to try and talk/take him out.

Sendero

Am I bad person for having rooted for the Giants in the last episode?

In any case, them appearing riding mammoths, big ass bow at hand, ready to try taking the Wall is truly a testament on how immense is the threat of the White Walkers. Ready to die, just for a chance of escaping them.

Overall, felt the chapter was a bit longer than it should. Cutting some idle scenes would have made wonders. And why there were no wildling's commandos trying to escalate from both flanks, away from Castle Black? Also, not sure why it looked as if Jon was the last to see the wildlings arriving, when he was supposed to be the main watcher!

Anyway, Pip's last stand was both awesome and sad. Was great to see him overcome his fears, inspire the group as a leader and pretty much save the day as promised. That, the Cook carrying a cleaver -Dark souls style, Kit Harington swordfighting skills and the awesome 360° scene made the chapter worthy.

What's next?

By far the most confusing thing about the show is the difference between wights and whitewalkers. Whitewalkers make the wights, right? Like with Craster's babies. But then is every "infected" dead person individually converted by a whitewalker?

'wights' are just zombies, mindless and probably smelly. assumedly made by whitewalkers who are the fuck-awesome old guys on dead horses.
imagine them as shiny blue magicians that can turn dead sleepy bodies into scary hungry bodies that just want to eat fat sams and mopey johnsnows.
nobody wants that to happen, especially not our johnsnow, so that is why he is sad.

anyway, it seems that whitewalker magic men need Real Human Babies to turn in to other whitewalkers, perhaps with magic or a really good education system.

so yeah:
dead people get turned into zombies by whitewalkers.
whitewalkers turn babies (maybe only special babies? like harry potter was) into whitewalkers.
whitewalkers are neat.

THRILLH0

Banned
What even IS this page? People must be trolling.

Anyway, think Tyrion lives because it doesn't really serve the story for him to die now. Ned and Robb's deaths were catalysts for the plot. Tyrion is marginalised at the moment so his death wouldn't really "matter" that much.

I think GRRM has more for him to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom