• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

7ded73f4-83bc-4a75-afac-3cdd8d91edb0-460x460.jpeg

Amazing.

Damn - that's hot.

That's absolutely hysterical that he ripped Stan Lee apart as a kid. That plot point sounds ridiculous, but it makes it that much more hilarious that he realized that as a child. Bravo GRRIM, bravo.

Dinklage is easily one of the best actors in the show, and he had his best season this year.
He has the best written character. I find his acting pretty mixed personally.

That's absolutely hysterical that he ripped Stan Lee apart as a kid. That plot point sounds ridiculous, but it makes it that much more hilarious that he realized that as a child. Bravo GRRIM, bravo.

Dinklage is easily one of the best actors in the show, and he had his best season this year.

that is debateable...

I would argue Season 2 was his most consistent season. However the Trial during season 4 was the best piece of acting he has done on the show and should he be nominated, it will be for that scene.

Kvik

Welp I just binge watched all 4 seasons in less than a week, now hitting the books to make the wait for S5 less painful.

I'm not really sure that's wise. Reading the book now will make you expectations towards the show change considerably since you will know the fates of certain characters. Since the books are very dense and the show runners have to make concessions to fit the plot lines into 10 episode format, you might even end up disappointed since they already cut down a lot, so far.

Well, from my point of view, anyway. Personally, I am interested in the books too, but I will wait until the final season is finished before reading them.

BTM

Well, from my point of view, anyway. Personally, I am interested in the books too, but I will wait until the final season is finished before reading them.

Yep, I'm doing this too. I read the 1st book during the past offseason and have decided to wait until the TV series is over to read the rest.

E92 M3

That's my plan too.

I plan to do it every season and never do. Dat lack of willpower.

I'm on book 3 and it was the best decision I've made. They add so much more context and content and imagining the characters as they are on the show makes it that much better. I could read them all day - that's how well written it is.

Bough the boxset on Amazon and just went at.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I'm on book 3 and it was the best decision I've made. They add so much more context and content and imagining the characters as they are on the show makes it that much better. I could read them all day - that's how well written it is.

Bough the boxset on Amazon and just went at.

Heh, I bought the same thing, finished them all within the span of a month and then bought the Dunk and Egg short stories. Good stuff all around.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
For sure. Not only is she undefeated, but she's got wins over Loras Tyrell, Jamie Lannister, and Sandor Clegane. And please don't give me that BS about how the latter two were weakened or whatever, either way they're two of the most feared dudes in the game and Brienne owned them. Honestly I think she would have ended up kicking that bear's ass eventually if Jamie didn't intervene.

Emmy nom's:

DRAMA SERIES

Outstanding Drama Series
"Breaking Bad" (AMC)
"Downton Abbey" (PBS)
"Game of Thrones" (HBO)
"House of Cards" (Netflix)
"Mad Men" (AMC)
"True Detective" (HBO)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
Jeff Daniels, "The Newsroom"
Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"
Woody Harrelson, "True Detective"
Matthew McConaughey, "True Detective"
Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards"

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Lizzy Caplan, "Masters of Sex"
Claire Danes, "Homeland"
Michelle Dockery, "Downton Abbey"
Julianne Margulies, "The Good Wife"
Kerry Washington, "Scandal"
Robin Wright, "House of Cards"

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad"
Jim Carter, "Downton Abbey"
Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones"
Josh Charles, "The Good Wife"
Mandy Patinkin, "Homeland"
Jon Voight, "Ray Donovan"

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Anna Gunn, "Breaking Bad" (AMC)
Maggie Smith, "Downton Abbey" (PBS)
Joanne Froggatt, "Downton Abbey" (PBS)
Lena Headey, "Game Of Thrones" (HBO
Christina Hendricks, "Mad Men" (AMC)
Christine Baranski, "The Good Wife" (NBC)

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
Dylan Baker, "The Good Wife"
Reg E. Cathey, "House of Cards"
Paul Giamatti, "Downton Abbey"
Robert Morse, "Mad Men"
Beau Bridges, "Masters of Sex"
Joe Morton, "Scandal"

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
Kate Burton, "Scandal"
Jane Fonda, "The Newsroom"
Allison Janney, "Masters of Sex"
Kate Mara, "House of Cards"
Margo Martindale, "The Americans"
Diane Rigg, "Game of Thrones"

If anyone got a guest actor nom it should have been Pedro Pascal.

For sure. Not only is she undefeated, but she's got wins over Loras Tyrell, Jamie Lannister, and Sandor Clegane. And please don't give me that BS about how the latter two were weakened or whatever, either way they're two of the most feared dudes in the game and Brienne owned them. Honestly I think she would have ended up kicking that bear's ass eventually if Jamie didn't intervene.

If anyone got a guest actor nom it should have been Pedro Pascal.

When did Brienne defeat Jamie? Are you counting when they were chained together? Also, the hound fight was too dirty to know for sure. I still think Oberyn is a better fighter.

It is ridiculous the amount of people that suggest you are not allowed to even question that Brienne is a better fighter than Jaime due to a fight that occurred after like, what, a year of him being imprisoned? And also the small fact that he was, you know, handcuffed

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Long over due for Lena. Cersei has been one of the very best characters from the beginning.

I don't know if she deserves to win, but I'm happy to see her get a nod. It's kinda funny how one of the main criticisms I've read towards Lena's performance is that she's unemotive/expressionless/etc, somehow failing to understand that's an important trait of the character. Cersei is all about maintaining that mask of unshaken composure at all times (aside from maybe when her child is poisoned...).

foxtrot3d

Banned
Pedro and Peter weren't in the same category. The fact that Diana Riggs got the nod for best special appearence actress and Pedro didn't for best special appearance actor is just disgraceful.

I think some people confuse an actor's performance with their character, I love Pedro and Dinklage but I feel a lot of the praise they get is because of their character. With Oberyn, Pedro just has to put on maximum swagger at all times and Dinklage just has to act like the sarcastic know it all. I'm not saying they are bad at portraying their characters just that, at least this season, I never saw anything that really set them apart from the rest. Despite everyone loving the trial scene I thought Dinklage screwed up during his performance, dropping his accent for a bit, and for that I don't think he should get the award.

That said, Pedro definitely beat out Dana Riggs, I didn't find anything particularly special about her performance. Honestly, if anyone should be getting nominated this season it should be Charles Dance, there are so many nuances to his performance of Tywin that I think just takes him above the rest of the cast. I also thought Maisie Williams did a great job this season as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Out of the supporting cast I think Rory McCan (The Hound) deserves more appreciation. He plays the despicable but tragic monster to perfection. He had a few of his best scenes in the past season.

For sure. Not only is she undefeated, but she's got wins over Loras Tyrell, Jamie Lannister, and Sandor Clegane. And please don't give me that BS about how the latter two were weakened or whatever, either way they're two of the most feared dudes in the game and Brienne owned them. Honestly I think she would have ended up kicking that bear's ass eventually if Jamie didn't intervene.l.
They were weakened. Don't say weakened because they were, what kind of logic is that? It's bullshit just because maaaaan. Not sure if she would have beaten either of them both at their best. I doubt she can kill the Mountain to be honest, Oberyn at the moment is by quite a distance the strongest in the series. A shame he was so obsessed in that fight.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
They were weakened. Don't say weakened because they were, what kind of logic is that? It's bullshit just because maaaaan. Not sure if she would have beaten either of them both at their best. I doubt she can kill the Mountain to be honest, Oberyn at the moment is by quite a distance the strongest in the series. A shame he was so obsessed in that fight.

It wasn't really meant to be a serious argument, just having fun out here. We all know beast mode Hodor would destroy all. They say he's part giant!

spirity

Rory McCann and Lena Headley both were outstanding this season. I went from disliking the Hound to really liking him, and liking Cersei to despising her. When the actors pull those emotions out of you, I think they're doing something right.

I see praise for Maisie Williams but I thought she was just ok. Nothing special. Maybe its just me.

So for Game of Thrones, how do they classify actors for the leading and supporting role categories ? There are so many characters. Cersei Lannister is a major one; I would have thought her in the leading role category.

Also, found this when DuckDuckGoing Diane Rigg:

Man, she was a beauty.

I would not have nominated Charles Dance nor Sophie Turner. They were good, but not that good.

The real crime was omitting Hannibal from every category, when it should have been nominated for several.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom