• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

roytheone

I actually really liked this episode, but can't really tell why. There is still a lack of really big happenings, like in the rest of this season, but the story lines seem to move into directions I am eager to see more off. Anyway, some random thoughts:

-Littlefinger is playing and deceiving everyone, and it is great. Cersie is truly a moron if she still trusts him.
- I am starting to dislike Tommen more and more. He is a good kid at heart, but currently he is little more than a puppet for his mother.
- That guy that is the ruler of Dorne seems to be an incredibly smart and nice guy. He sees the big picture instead of being blinded by his own ambition and/or revenge. That alone makes him a much better ruler than probably 95 % of the rest of the rulers in this series. He should get the iron throne :)
- Oberyn his daughters are incredibly stupid. They say that the things they do are "for Oberyn" , but Oberyn would never kidnap or hurt an innocent girl for revenge. Instead of honoring his legacy, they betray everything he stood for.
- I will not give my opinion about that final scene until I see what the show-runners do with it in the next couple of episodes. If it ends up breaking Sansa, that would be tremendously disappointing, but I hope that is not the case.

Meh while the scene was bad, taking 2-3 seconds gifs is horrible.

Of course all of it looks bad or worse when you slow it down and over analyze.

I guess, but I'm just thinking about the Oberyn fight and how good that was, where people were actually swinging with authority and it felt intense.

Or most of the fighting with during the siege on the Wall, a lot of that was pretty good.

I'm not asking for Raid 2 quality, I'm just asking for something that's rather believable than people just doing twirls and holding weapons in impractical ways (and making it painfully obvious)

The Cowboy

So many people in this show are. Guy who plays Ramsay (I'm really not good with names) nails it so perfectly, people are actually hating the guy. Same as Joffrey.

Come to think of it, the bad guys really are amazing in GoT.

He's Iwan Rheon, i think he's great - he also played Simon in Misfits (my fav character in that show).

I do agree with you, the bad guys have some fantastic actors/actresses - they all just do it so well.

KooopaKid

Banned
My god, I could write a paper just dissecting how fucking horrible that scene was.

upcmc7bp6jyb.gif

Apparently they had little time to shoot at this location but still...even as I watched it the first time I noticed it instantly. That was their best shot?

Contrast this stupid Sand Snakes fight with the pub/tavern fight with The Hound and Arya. It's like two completely different shows.

Totally.

While the pub fight really isn't that amazing, it's just pure brutality and is simple. People swinging big swords and kicking the shit out of eachother and getting stabbed in the face.

Simple, doesn't take much to shoot, not too complicated but if you get it right it just feels down to earth and brutal.

Compare it to the fucking sand snakes who all use smaller type weapons and are more finesse, it means you need much better choreography to make the fight look decent and believable. And if you get it wrong it looks... well like what we got

Saerk

Bronn's going to eat it isn't he? Looked like he got cut by one of the daggers, and there was enough talk last season about Obeyron using poison, so I'm guessing his daughters would as well.

This season seems to be really slow, but I can see pieces being set up. Just feels like the payoff may be season 6.

That gif looks like it was taken from one of the practice sessions.

I mean Bronn actually stops / slows down his swing on the turnaround to wait for the girl to get in better Position to block / deflect. It's awful. Maybe they just couldn't find someone to train those girls better in the time they had?

Thinking on it there hasn't been a good fight this whole season. Even the Grey Worm / Barristan fight looked amateur at best. Did they lose their fight choreographer or something?

Bronn's going to eat it isn't he? Looked like he got cut by one of the daggers, and there was enough talk last season about Obeyron using poison, so I'm guessing his daughters would as well.

This season seems to be really slow, but I can see pieces being set up. Just feels like the payoff may be season 6.

yeah, there was no other reason to blatantly show that cut. The only thing is that I'm praying there is some other factor that will get in the way of him dying, like being able to get some kind of antidote as the Dornish people would hopefully have something like that, or if Badass Bronn had been giving himself small bits of the poison for years to build up a tolerance like in the Princess Bride

Bronn's totally dead :(

Edit: The other interesting thing I thought of is if Bronn somehow sacrifices himself to save Jaime/help him and his daughter escape. While his character is established to not be willing to do something like that, if he knew he was poisoned and was going to die anyway, maybe he'd make that decision. That would be a pretty interesting contrast to him not standing up to fight the Mountain for Tyrion, who is the closest thing he's had to a friend

it seems only Ramsay is getting everything he wanted so far?

Haha, that is one way of putting. Maybe here is the real protagonist...Martin does seem to have a thing for exploring the morbid and perverted and the show's producers have played this up. Ramsay does seem like his living the [heinous] life.

Valus

I wonder if Loras will demand a trial by combat since he's you know, actually good at fighting. Can anyone in King's Landing even take him? I don't think there is, so of course Frankenmountain will show up just in time to rip him in half.

I wonder if Loras will demand a trial by combat since he's you know, actually good at fighting. Can anyone in King's Landing even take him? I don't think there is, so of course Frankenmountain will show up just in time to rip him in half.

Its ridiculous that they allowed him to use full plate in single combat...Many would be able to defeat the mountain if he wasn't covered from head to toe in metal...he is massive and slow and as vulnerable as anyone to a sword in the gut.

Volimar

So Cersei is supposed to bury all her children, right? It looks like she'll stick around for a while. At this point, I'd lay odds on Myrcella outliving Tommen.

That gif above is amazingly sad. Anyway, I finally got time to watch the episode.

Is this the first mentioning of the Faceless God? I remember earlier in the thread many were wondering if the faceless man was talking about the God of Death or the God of Light; looks like it was neither of those? The scene with Loras and Margery was really bizarre; High Sparrow has some nerve and young Tommen sure is at a loss. Surprised at how much faith Cersei has in Littlefinger however. And one final note: it was bizarre how the sand ladies and Jamie were going after the Lannister girl at literally exactly the same time. What are the odds.

ivysaur12

Banned
It took the masterfulness of Tywin, Varys, Littlefinger and Tyrion to run the kingdom aptly with or without the king. Now Cersei is like fuck everything, and nothing matters. I just find it difficult to digest. KL should be in a rebellion by now. Hopefully it will be after they put Margery's head on a spike.

Exactly. What's fascinating about Cersei's storyline (that I think we're trying to see with Dany's, but not as well), is what it means to be a ruler. Oleanna sort of gets at it -- at least Tywin knew who to make deals with. Cersei is not a ruler. None of the living Lannisters really are, except Tyrion, who is going to provide her services (eventually) to Dany.

So Cersei is supposed to bury all her children, right? It looks like she'll stick around for a while. At this point, I'd lay odds on Myrcella outliving Tommen.

Yup. I don't see Tommen making it through this season.

The mountain will finish what he started Lol. But this time there will not be the hound to save the situation

Ferrio

Banned
That gif above is amazingly sad. Anyway, I finally got time to watch the episode.

Is this the first mentioning of the Faceless God? I remember earlier in the thread many were wondering if the faceless man was talking about the God of Death or the God of Light; looks like it was neither of those? The scene with Loras and Margery was really bizarre; High Sparrow has some nerve and young Tommen sure is at a loss. Surprised at how much faith Cersei has in Littlefinger however. And one final note: it was bizarre how the sand ladies and Jamie were going after the Lannister girl at literally exactly the same time. What are the odds.

Think the faceless god might be another name for Death, could be wrong though.

The mountain will finish what he started Lol. But this time there will not be the hound to save the situation

ROFL.

This has to be it, they are going to bring back The Mountain for this.

Can't wait to see that monster and the fucking hell they created. I bet that's going to get Cercie killed, dabbling in that shit can't be something The Faith approves of.

Yeah the sudden power of the fanatics is utterly baffling...the idea that they could somehow reach all the way to the top, without any real base of power except some minor nobility and a mystique...in the space of a few months...and without much popular consent....well not much has been shown - is poor plotting.

Nameless

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Sand Snakes have had what, 10 minutes of screen time total through 6 episodes? The casting on Thrones is usually stellar, but they whiffed big time here. So so very bad. Especially Obara who's probably the worst character the show has had. Her ridiculous facial expressions make me want to kill small animals.

Think the faceless god might be another name for Death, could be wrong though.

Yeah, I think that's what it is.

Ah, I suppose that could be right.

I don't think any of these gods are actually "real", and it's all just magic without any deity attached. Certainly not the 7.

The God of Light seem to demand sacrifices, but I suppose you could rationalize that it's the magic of the bearer that needs to sacrifices and not the God(s). I don't know, it could totally be argued either way. Personally I'd say the God of Light and the Faceless God (God of Death?) is real until proven otherwise.

Ferrio

Banned
Ah, I suppose that could be right.

The God of Light seem to demand sacrifices, but I suppose you could rationalize that it's the magic of the bearer that needs to sacrifices and not the God(s). I don't know, it could totally be argued either way. Personally I'd say the God of Light and the Faceless God (God of Death?) is real until proven otherwise.

Well so far those are the only two that have done supernatural stuff. The 7 haven't done shit (my opinion the 7 are bullshit made up gods), and the old gods we're not sure about.

Volimar

Well so far those are the only two that have done supernatural stuff. The 7 haven't done shit (my opinion the 7 are bullshit made up gods), and the old gods we're not sure about.

Well we don't know what they've done. Cat Stark swore to the gods that she would love Jon Snow if he recovered from his illness. She went back on her word and watched her son Robb get murdered. Unhappy coincidence or the result of a chain of events started when she broke her word? Robb broke his oath to the gods to marry Grey's daughter and watched as his true love and heir were murdered. I think that the old gods don't get all flashy, they maneuver much more subtly than the new gods and the Lord of Light do.

nib95

Banned
I've found the writing, choreography, general direction of the narrative and some of scenes rather stupid of late. The whole religious fanatics getting to ultimate power so quickly, and to the extent that the King's own army seems to be missing, the King's complete ineptitude, the awful Sand Snakes, the idiocy of Jaime's mission and the way it was all shown. Honestly feels like the series is sort of going to shit. No idea if GRM or the shows writers are to blame, as I have not read the books.

mujun

I've found the writing, choreography, general direction of the narrative and some of scenes rather stupid of late. The whole religious fanatics getting to ultimate power so quickly, and to the extent that the King's own army seems to be missing, the King's complete ineptitude, the awful Sand Snakes, the idiocy of Jaime's mission and the way it was all shown. Honestly feels like the series is sort of going to shit. No idea if GRM or the shows writers are to blame, as I have not read the books.

I thought that Jaime's mission was meant to be stupid? Isn't it a ploy by Cersei to get rid him out of King's Landing so she can run things the way she wants to?

Vire

Beyond that, I still don't understand half of the most important characters motivations.

Why does Tyrion want to help the mother of dragons?

Why would Sansa agree to marry into the family who murdered her mother and brother?

Why does Jorah think that returning Tyrion to Dany will earn him favor?

Why does Dany and Cersei repeatedly make incredibly obvious and stupid mistakes in playing the "game"?

Mostly everything in the show feels like some sort of contrivance to bring in the major characters all together on screen at once. I'd love for someone to try and break down my questions with reasonable answers. I'd be more than happy to listen.

nib95

Banned
Beyond that, I still don't understand half of the most important characters motivations.

Why does Tyrion want to help the mother of dragons?

Why would Sansa agree to marry into the family who murdered her mother and brother?

Why does Jorah think that returning Tyrion to Dany will earn him favor?

Why does Dany and Cersei repeatedly make incredibly obvious and stupid mistakes in playing the "game"?

Mostly everything in the show feels like some sort of contrivance to bring in the major characters all together on screen at once. I'd love for someone to try and break down my questions with reasonable answers. I'd be more than happy to listen.

Agreed to many of your points. A lot of it feels sloppy at this point

nib95

Banned
I thought that Jaime's mission was meant to be stupid? Isn't it a ploy by Cersei to get rid him out of King's Landing so she can run things the way she wants to?

And she'd just risk Jaime, their alliance, and her daughter all for some potential theatrics back home? I don't know, doesn't sound plausible to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom