• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna have to rewatch this episode, specifically to get another look at that aside between Ser Alliser and Sam. I'm trying to figure out if it's more threat or warning. Probably both.

Yeah, I didn't like that and it seemed more of a threat.

Also when Alliser warned Jon, the smirk afterwards was like, hope you die out there.

I'm gonna have to rewatch this episode, specifically to get another look at that aside between Ser Alliser and Sam. I'm trying to figure out if it's more threat or warning. Probably both.

Considering it was Sam who put Jon up for Lord Commander, I reckon Ser Alliser won't treat him too well.

I wonder if the season ends with Winterfell being taken by Jon and then a White Walker attack at Castle Black or something now that Jon has the obsidian

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
What makes you think she will have a comeback? I hope she rots

I could be way off but I just don't feel like it's her time. Her character has more impact than anyone else on the show atm. I do wander however if this experience will provide any growth for her.

Griss

I think an important part for the set-up of the next episode(s) was when Cersei asked what Loras and Margaery might do, and the High Sparrow explained the Mother's Love. It requires begging for forgiveness and showing contrition, though, which we all know Cersei simply can't do. But if the only charge against her is sleeping with her cousin (they have no evidence regarding the parantage of her kids) then maybe the Mother's Love would be enough to have her set free.

Also, how influential was Littlefinger in getting Lancel to give up his secrets? Today's episode made it sound like he had a huge part in it because he could see that Cersei was bringing down both his empire and the entire King's Landing, but I reckoned from the start that the High Sparrow was working on Lancel, and would have gotten that stuff out of him eventually anyway.

It was also incredible to see Olenna meet her match for the first time ever. None of her punches landed, and in the end she was nearly lost for words. She can play every game ever invented, but the Sparrow simply refuses to play along. He wins by failing to engage and sticking to his principles - something Olenna simply can't understand. It will be interesting to see, in time, if the Sparrow does indeed have any vices or amibtions that might make him a hypocrite or see him brought low. He has certainly convinced me, and he's also the best new actor on the show since Oberyn.

Other thoughts:
Myrcella is sweet and cute as hell. She's literally the classic 'innocent princess in love' archetype, and we've strayed so far from typical fantasy that's it's bizarre and fun to see something like that injected back in the show.

Sam needs to get Gilly and her boy south, and in a hurry. Once again, is the Maester's life calling for Sam? They've been setting that up again and again.

Sorry, but the sand snake scene was lame. Everything about them was lame. And she looked underage. I felt dirty.

As for Cersei, I actually find it hard to know how genuine she's being when she deals with Tommen. I want to believe that everything she does she does to combat the prophecy of his death, but she's so false in all regards that it's hard to believe anything about her. Tommen seems to be waking up, though. What are the odds that he busts Marge and Loras out of jail and leaves his mom to rot? Would be delicious justice, and would win his wife back completely and get King's Landing back on the mend.

I was anticipating an opinion from you and was worried you would say it sucked, at which point I was going to say you were blinded by the hate train, lol. I'm glad you liked it. It was an incredible episode with amazing pacing, and great story telling.

You know I want to like the show, I really do. I just give my honest opinion, always. That's the thing you've got to remember about people who really dislike certain things... they can't all be trolls!

Cagey

Banned
The High Septon / Martin Luther character and the analogous Reformation plot line is the most compelling character and story arc on this show for me in a very long time.

Sorry, but the sand snake scene was lame. Everything about them was lame. And she looked underage. I felt dirty.

You know I want to like the show, I really do. I just give my honest opinion, always. That's the thing you've got to remember about people who really dislike certain things... they can't all be trolls!

Wiki says she is 19, so not far off!

giga

Ramsey was waiting in the tower, they didn't show that long trek of stares for nothing.

Someone blabbed.

Also, we just witnessed a major time skip.

I'm guessing 1-2 months max.
No, Ramsey was in the main tower. Reek never went to the broken tower. It was a director's trick.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
Cersei aligning with the High Sparrow always seemed so moronic, even for her. This show is a lot less satisfying when major players like Cersei and Dany are playing the game poorly.

I think this is what's bugging me about the season so far. It feels as though we've lost a lot of major characters who had very understandable motives & values and traded them for characters who have become increasingly caricature-esque. It isn't necessarily about their presence in the show but rather the increase in screen time for them. I'm tired of being beaten over the head to be shown that Ramsay is a demented individual. Or that the man formerly known as Theon is shattered as a human beyond redemption. Daario scenes where generic handsome talented fighter man sleeps with Dany and makes ruling suggestions over and over again. Jamie Lannister's bizarre adventure and the damn Sand Snakes. While yes, it is all coming to a boil right now, these things have in my eyes been written poorly and the pacing (as in the devotion of screen time to the above, for example) has been off.

I'm far from being one of the more attentive-to-detail viewers so what I say is purely based upon what I feel when I experience the show.

It was also incredible to see Olenna meet her match for the first time ever.

Other thoughts:
Myrcella is sweet and cute as hell. She's literally the classic 'innocent princess in love' archetype, and we've strayed so far from typical fantasy that's it's bizarre and fun to see something like that injected back in the show.

What are the odds that he busts Marge and Loras out of jail and leaves his mom to rot?

Agreed, I love Olenna but she really got stumped this time around. He simply does not care for anything but the simplicity in life and the Gods.

The actress that plays Myrcella is only 15, I felt uncomfortable watching the make out sessions last week. Sand snake on the other hand is 19.

I really doubt Tommen would leave her in there, I'd have to watch again but it looked like he got a tear in his eye when his mom was telling him that she would do anything for him. I don't see it happening. It is crazy seeing her spiral down further though, it's funny because in the first season when Joffrey called for Ned's head, she yelled out "this is madness" watching that now seems so out of character. But I guess even she knew how stupid it was.

Lastly, I never thought you were trolling, at all. But sometimes people get caught up in the hate. For a while I started to dislike Dany because everyone always complained about her, but I came to my senses, I still like her. Also, when I re watched last weeks episode the fight in the gardens really wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. But I too was thinking it was shit.

Rootbeer

Banned
No, Ramsey was in the main tower. Reek never went to the broken tower. It was a director's trick.

Yup, I agree. They cut it in a somewhat ambiguous way, but short of comparing screenshots (which I'm sure someone will be doing, either in this thread or reddit...), pretty sure he did not go to the tower Sansa asked him to.

House Tyrel (spelling) is clearly in control now.

Cercie thought she had the upper hand, but when she was getting tossed into jail everyone was wearing the head scarfs of Tyrel.

She just got fucking played, but everyone called it, so it's not shocking really. But oh is it so gratifying.

House Tyrel (spelling) is clearly in control now.

Cercie thought she had the upper hand, but when she was getting tossed into jail everyone was wearing the head scarfs of Tyrel.

She just got fucking played, but everyone called it, so it's not shocking really. But oh is it so gratifying.

They were Septas. Or the Westerosi equivalent of nuns, they aren't Tyrells.

Cake Boss

Banned
Anyone tell me why dragon lady is still posting up at that crib? I thought the whole plan was to go to kings landing after her dragons grew and she had an army?

Arc

This season is getting stupid. Did the Lannister guards just vanish into thin air? I'm glad the snake chick carries around an antidote just in case she slashes someone she likes!

This season is getting stupid. Did the Lannister guards just vanish into thin air? I'm glad the snake chick carries around an antidote just in case she slashes someone she likes!

Or if she cut herself

It's not that much of a stretch, I would have a self antidote if I hit myself or if someone got me with my own weapon.

Arc

Or if she cut herself

It's not that much of a stretch, I would have a self antidote if I hit myself or if someone got me with my own weapon.

What was the point of poisoning Bronn just to cure him right away? Was it just an elaborate way to get more tits on screen?

No, it's just sloppy writing.

besada

Banned
Anyone tell me why dragon lady is still posting up at that crib? I thought the whole plan was to go to kings landing after her dragons grew and she had an army?

She's learning how to rule. They explicitly said as much a couple of episodes back. Regardless, she can't control the dragons, so they aren't much help at the moment.

BTM

Probably not allowed into the place.

Curufinwe

She ain't close to riding those dragons yet, and she doesn't have an army big enough to conqueror Westeros.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What was the point of poisoning Bronn just to cure him right away? Was it just an elaborate way to get more tits on screen?

No, it's just sloppy writing.
What is sloppy about it? It was the first actual good scene with the sand snakes, established a rapport between bronn and them, and gave us a little bit of tension between last episode and this.

Cake Boss

Banned
Well they haven't talked strategy on how to move forward or to build a bigger army, getting ships and weapobs, or training the dragons at all. All they have been doing is some bullshit geopolitical issues in the city between the slaves and owners and tradition n bullshit, oh wow so amazing. How about we go back to the primary objective?

Curufinwe

This season is getting stupid. Did the Lannister guards just vanish into thin air?

Lannister guards haven't been allowed into the Sept for quite a while now. The faith militant have had it on lock down for several episodes but you somehow didn't notice. But sure, it's the season that's stupid.

ivysaur12

Banned
lol Cersei. This is what happens with Rick Santorum wins!

Didn't love how they made Sansa's scene with Theon about Theon, but I'm also happy to see her asserting more power, even if she has none at the moment (which like, give her some fucking agency and let her kill Ramsay). But what did Sansa grab? A stake? Then she'll definitely do it.

This was the best episode of the season, by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom