• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4Lukins

I do find it funny that a lot of people are positive on this episode while attacking the rest of the season.

I imagine because the good guys won for once, people enjoyed it more. Outside of Sansa, Tyrion and Jorah got out of their slave situation. Cersei was arrested. Sam got some, and prevented another rape. Bronn appears to have been cured of the poison. Littlefinger and Ollena seem to have a plan.

It was mostly fun vengance.

royalan

I'm thinking they are gonna try to sway Bron to their cause using their sexuality. He's a talented fighter and a dirty old man and at least one of them is insanely seductive. Sexuality seems to be a big part of Dornish culture from their mom having orgies with Oberyn to Bron saying "All danish do is fuck and fight, fight and fuck."

Do we really believe Bronn is that gullible, though? I mean, we know the dude likes a nice pair of tits, but would he compromise himself (and betray Jamie) for them?

If Bronn were to do something like that, I could only see it being at the promise of something real. Like obscene amounts of gold or a palace filled with women. Not, "I'll let you look at my boobies..."

Lena Headey is so goddamn good in this show. That fucking smirk leading up to her being confronted by High Sparrow.

I am in that weird territory with Cersei where I love watching her be just a complete piece of trash but also really want to see her get humiliated again and again.

Fantastic episode.

Still not totally sold on this Dorne nonsense. Given how many storylines they are following and how often they have to neglect certain characters/arcs each week, it is painful to see anytime given to the stuff in Dorne. I though the stuff in Dorne would play a lot heavier given how much they talked it up prior to the season starting.

Not reading through the thread; averting my eyes to avoid spoilers.

I'd just like to know if the consensus thought this episode was better than the last one?

NolbertoS

It's gonna take a lot more than one of the Sand Snakes showing her boobs for that Xena Warrior Princess level fight scene to be redeemed.

All we need is a Gabriella and Xena kiss theme between Sandsnames and watch Bron leave Jaime Lannister on his own and cave to Dornish lifestyles :p

Do we really believe Bronn is that gullible, though? I mean, we know the dude likes a nice pair of tits, but would he compromise himself (and betray Jamie) for them?

If Bronn were to do something like that, I could only see it being at the promise of something real. Like obscene amounts of gold or a palace filled with women. Not, "I'll let you look at my boobies..."

I don't think we do but they don't know Bron the bro. I'm sure they think he's in their pocket after tits and anti venom.

Maybe because I'm gay and impervious to the power of boobs, but I thought this episode left the sand snakes plotline in a even worse position than before.

Like, NONE of their motives make sense at this point.

as someone not immune to the power of boobs, Sand Snakes redeemed
Barack-Obama-Saying-It-is-Law.gif

Lena Headey is so goddamn good in this show. That fucking smirk leading up to her being confronted by High Sparrow.

I am in that weird territory with Cersei where I love watching her be just a complete piece of trash but also really want to see her get humiliated again and again.

Fantastic episode.

Still not totally sold on this Dorne nonsense. Given how many storylines they are following and how often they have to neglect certain characters/arcs each week, it is painful to see anytime given to the stuff in Dorne. I though the stuff in Dorne would play a lot heavier given how much they talked it up prior to the season starting.

I'm with you on that. But I feel like I've always felt that way about the character. Sweet, sweet vengeance when she got thrown in the cell

KarmaCow

I don't think it was anything that elaborate where they were laying the ground work for three steps ahead. She sorta likes him, was just bored in jail and found a toy. It seems to be something she does, the other two were rolling their eyes when she starting showing offer her tits. I think Bronn is just some guy, a sell sword to them and I doubt she'd be playing the same game with Jamie, or at least go as far as to give him the antidote.

I doubt this will lead to Bronn helping them kill Myrcella or even double crossing Jamie. At worst it seems like the requisite levity nudity for the episode. It seems more like that Bronn will end up telling Jamie to give up his plan of at this point, forceable get Myrcella out of Dorne since it seems to be nicer place than King's Landing. Maybe he'll stay in Dorne, not like he really cares that much about his third in the line princess wife and the shitty castle he wont even get.

M_A_C

Best episode so far this season, which is pretty faint praise. Still something seems a little off, like they are cutting costs or something. There's been relatively little action all season and then the gladiator battle is mostly Khaleesi reaction shots? The arena set looked pretty laughable too.

I also love that the big soft nightwatch guy can take 10 vicious kicks to the head and get right back up, meanwhile the old blonde guy knocks out all the helmeted gladiators with like one barehanded punch.

I know right. Is this season a joke? It's like HBO cut their budget by 90%. All the locations could be the same small dank location but shot at a different angle. Then shit like the Wolf being on screen for 3 seconds and then completely disappearing. I was expecting a big roman coliseum for the slave fights, and there were 14 people there.

Oh well, boobs I guess.

It bums me out a little that there was that scene in the final episode of last season where Sansa was descending the stairs in her black dress, looking cunning as fuck having just accepted what happened with her aunt.

Team Little Finger and Sansa looked to be so awesome and now she's just a crying piece of meat to some fucking monster and Little Finger is gone.

:-(

YAx3OYo.png

So what would have happened if she called LittleFingers bluff and said no fuck this shit Im not staying here and not not marrying anyone. Im going back to the vale or whatever that place she was previously in.

turtle553

Best episode so far this season, which is pretty faint praise. Still something seems a little off, like they are cutting costs or something. There's been relatively little action all season and then the gladiator battle is mostly Khaleesi reaction shots? The arena set looked pretty laughable too.

I also love that the big soft nightwatch guy can take 10 vicious kicks to the head and get right back up, meanwhile the old blonde guy knocks out all the helmeted gladiators with like one barehanded punch.

The gladiators weren't trained fighters. Just a bunch of slaves and captives thrown into a pit. This was a low level fighting pit, not like the big time one where the real fighters will be.

Impressive that this season is coming up like the riddle Varys told to Tyrion in season 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpL6Fwu0wkw
Religion vs wealth vs royalty.

Maybe because I'm gay and impervious to the power of boobs, but I thought this episode left the sand snakes plotline in a even worse position than before.

Like, NONE of their motives make sense at this point.

It doesn't but good lord she is fucking hot. Forget the tits, her face had me captivated.

komplanen

So what would have happened if she called LittleFingers bluff and said no fuck this shit Im not staying here and not not marrying anyone. Im going back to the vale or whatever that place she was previously in.

I hear ya. It's just that I had hoped she had actually grown a little and had started her journey towards being Little Finger's little helper.

Apt101

1. She is the most beautiful in the world, I am convinced

2. I am so glad Bronn didn't die

3. At last things happened

4. The religious people have great rhetoric and are entertainingly insane, but I don't think the writers and directors have really shown how they wield such power. It seems like a very small contingent of city guards could mop them up in an afternoon. Kind of taking the impact out of their story line

5. I wish there were at least three more episodes this season just to see where Tyrion's and Little Finger's stories are heading

It told us nothing we didn't know.
How is this valid criticism? People said the same thing about the rape scene last episode, and yet now (at least in my mind) it has been justified in the sense that it conveys the peril that Sansa is in at the moment. Bronn and Sand Snake's scene could have been necessary to set up a potential partnership in the future (maybe with Bronn even "settling down" on the lady later on in the series). At least wait till the end of the season until determining whether a scene was useful or not.

I think it may be different this time because this is the first time Bronn is actually close to facing actual death, and the lady spared him. And he likes a nice pair of tits. And he wasn't actually thrilled to see Jamie when he came looking for help. And he abandoned Tyrion in his hour of need, and Jamie's situation is much less dire than Tyrion's. And, and, and...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is far and away the weakest season of the show.

MartyStu

I am very disappointed in Theon. I really thought he was going to come through. I do think he'll eventually act against Ramsey but damn...

I actually would prefer it if Theon subverted all audience expectation and remained thoroughly broken.

This is far and away the weakest season of the show.

Not surprising, the books begin to suffer around this time as well. Granted, I have not read ADWD, but I imagine it suffers from the same malaise as AFFC.

Rur0ni

that fucking sandsnake

good lord

almighty

help me
Word. Was legit impressed.

1. She is the most beautiful in the world, I am convinced

2. I am so glad Bronn didn't die

3. At last things happened

4. The religious people have great rhetoric and are entertainingly insane, but I don't think the writers and directors have really shown how they wield such power. It seems like a very small contingent of city guards could mop them up in an afternoon. Kind of taking the impact out of their story line

5. I wish there were at least three more episodes this season just to see where Tyrion's and Little Finger's stories are heading
1. Ditto.
2. Yeah I find that agreeable.
3. It's a slow burn, I ain't mad at it.
4. Yeah, there is a little bit of stupid here. They could have been eliminated a few times over by now in my opinion.
5. Yeah, three isn't enough. :(

Also, prediction time. I don't see Stannis as the type to turn on his daughter. He would instantly go from loved to hated. Even if it meant saving the world from the White Walkers or something. I like how he basically balked at the Red Woman after just feeling her up a second earlier.

His wife (whatever her name is) will do it before he can stop her. She's had enough face time this season to be involved. That way his army still wins the North, and he still has the "Fuck yeah, Stannis." support.

they've already done that to us so many damn times... yara's rescue, moat cailin, the rape, etc etc

They spent an entire season gutting him. If he does come around is better be for a damn good reason to make it believable that someone can come back after what Ramsey did to him.

MartyStu

they've already done that to us so many damn times... yara's rescue, moat cailin, the rape, etc etc

I know. I want them to continue doing so.

While he does not deserve the shit that has happened to him, he also is undeserving of redemption.

I want neither Reek, not Brienne to play a role in Sansa's rescue.

She needs to do it herself.

Omega

Banned
I think the biggest problem with this season is it's trying to maintain being a political show and it just doesn't work anymore. Tyrion is on the run/slave, Tywin is dead. No one else left can play this game besides Little Finger and his storyline seems pointless.

Season should have been Stannis fucking shit up while going into more of the fantasy aspects of the show.

4. Yeah, there is a little bit of stupid here. They could have been eliminated a few times over by now in my opinion.
I think the point the show is trying to make is that (A) A rebellion would occur if the religious folks were overthrown, and (B) The Lanisters are in too much debt to pay soldiers to put down said rebellion. Therefore, the Lanisters are stuck.

Has anyone else noticed a steep decline in the quality of this show? Almost everything about this season sucks.. And don't get me started on how ridiculous this faith militant thing is. In a show where most aspects of the plot are slow beyond description, these faith militant people are locking up queens over night.

And this whole thing in Dorne with Sand Snakes has been pretty dumb. Yeah, she has breasts, okay, that's nice, I guess, but I can get that anywhere... The show kinda sucks..

My concern is related to yours, I have *almost* given up on the show. My wife and I actually make fun of the episode descriptions (from cox) at this point. We had no desire to watch this week, VEEP and Silicon Valley are priority.

Example from previous episode: "Arya Begins Training...
...by sweeping the floor"

This week: "Jon deals with conflict...
...by talking about the conflict"

Sounds like it was an entertaining episode but I expect it is just a small hill in the basin of dragging this series out without the substance of the book (nothing new). Sorry for hating, just thought I'd voice my opinion since it was mentioned on the page I was browsing.

C4Lukins

They spent an entire season gutting him. If he does come around is better be for a damn good reason to make it believable that someone can come back after what Ramsey did to him.

Well he seems to be getting better. At one point he could not even communicate. I am still routing for the guy if only for the actors sake.

Being an ass hole and without penis must be hard for him despite his families wealth. Lots of crazy people in the real world take their hatred of fictional characters into the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom