• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bounchfx

that was a solid one, for sure. It's a slow burn but I'm enjoying seeing everything start to play out.

I find it interesting reading all the replies about how the show is so bad now, and I'm not sure I understand.. the only real difference I see is much less action. It feels slower paced, but that doesn't make it bad to me.

Skux

This happens every season lol. "So slow", "Nothing ever happens" for the first half. Then BAM BAM BAM MAJOR PLOT POINT CHARACTER DEATH CRAZY SHIT

Jackpot

Banned
Wow..get over yourself! Ok, you have an opinion of the show's season..that's fine, but to say the main reason why we liked this episode/season is because of a pair of breasts (a mighty glorious pair of breasts, I might add). You comes off as being too full of yourself. We're all immature if we don't agree with your assessment of this season? Is that it? Shit post is shitty.

Did he hit a nerve?

that was a solid one, for sure. It's a slow burn but I'm enjoying seeing everything start to play out.

I find it interesting reading all the replies about how the show is so bad now, and I'm not sure I understand.. the only real difference I see is much less action. It feels slower paced, but that doesn't make it bad to me.

NeoGAF in general is usually a ground for complaining, so I'm not sure whether this is unusual. People say this before episodes 8,9 and 10 of every season of GoT. And yeah, I feel that the slow burn has actually been very good this season, with the only sub-par storyline being Dorne, and every season has one such sub-par storyline. Jon's stuff is the best it has ever been, and Dany is having her best season since season 1.

I personally think that this is the second best season so far, after season 4.

GavinGT

Banned
The season has sucked, but this episode was an exception. Each scene was compelling to watch, even if nothing advanced the plot very far.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It was odd not seeing Margaery with her usual cheerful and calm mood. It's understandable of course, but still... :p

Also, I fully expect the Red Witch or Stannis's wife(or both) to sacrifice his daughter behind his back.

Enjoyed it overall but holy shit what a completely pointless scene with Bronn, sad too because I love him. Was genuinely worried and then just....wat. Like, they basically set up this threat with a minor detail and then just throw it away in the most cartoonish fashion. I'm not one to really get mad about nudity in the show but that scene genuinely felt silly to me. Like they literally did just threaten a character's life so she could get some titties out.

Good lord that girl's got some nice assets on her though can't be mad about that.

Volimar

It was odd not seeing Margaery with her usual cheerful and calm mood. It's understandable of course, but still... :p

Also, I fully expect the Red Witch or Stannis's wife(or both) to sacrifice his daughter behind his back.

Melly Sanders will convince the wife to do it and Stannis will kill her in a rage.

MikeyB

This is far and away the weakest season of the show.

Easily. Slow and the storylines are more disconnected than ever. Previously, they were in conflict or some form of contact through ravens or Varys' spies. Now, they seem too separate.

It feels slower paced, but that doesn't make it bad to me.

When everything is set up for epic power struggles (it after all supposed to be a game of thrones), that Sam says "oh my" when getting laid or Bronn sees another pair of tits or Jaime's daughter says "you don't know me" is a choice to either delay the power struggles or change the focus of the series.

Cersei/Tommen/Margery/High Sparrow is the most interesting story in this season from my view because it actually has the traditional power struggles in place. Jon becoming head of the Nights Watch was alright, but very slow to play out. Sansa/Ramsay would be interesting if Sansa had learned anything from Margery or Little finger, but she seems as useless as ever.

Easily. Slow and the storylines are more disconnected than ever. Previously, they were in conflict or some form of contact through ravens or Varys' spies. Now, they seem too separate.

I think that Seasons 1 and 2 are the weakest. In season 2, almost nothing happened until Blackwater in episode 9.

huh ok... I was expecting more from poisoning Bronn. It was literally resolved within minutes. In my mind they (the prince) would have blackmailed him with turning sides or something.
Great scene though and I have no shame ogling at the young snake (19!).

At least it's smart to carry the antidote to your own weapon with you. Maybe the poisoning still has a point if it was to show that the girl was impressed by Bronn's fighting and really has the hots for him.
The other snakes were like "notto disu shitto agen" though :p

In principle Tommen can just have the cult slaughtered right? They won't harm their prisoners in revenge. That was just Cersei's bluff. But that might provoke an uprising as the high sparrow implied that they are many (=common folk).

They way this is going, I can see that there won't be an Iron Throne in the finale of the show. Democratic elections for everyone, no more kings :p
Daenerys will show up to be the last villain of the show who wants to reinstate monarchy!

Oh and I retract what I said for last week's episode. Sansa has no secret plan, she is just stupid. Especially for telling Reek. At least she grabbed some corkscrew or whatever so maybe next night she will defend herself.
I didn't get how they managed to identify the poor old woman though. But at least she didn't tell them about Brienne.

btw Sansa's face when Ramsay told her about Jon was like "oh shit yeah, I should have told Littlefinger to bring me to my only brother that I know is left alive"

Loakum

Banned
Enjoyed it overall but holy shit what a completely pointless scene with Bronn, sad too because I love him. Was genuinely worried and then just....wat. Like, they basically set up this threat with a minor detail and then just throw it away in the most cartoonish fashion. I'm not one to really get mad about nudity in the show but that scene genuinely felt silly to me. Like they literally did just threaten a character's life so she could get some titties out.

Good lord that girl's got some nice assets on her though can't be mad about that.

You're completely wrong about this. It served an purpose. She poisoned Bronn with her sword, via the cut on his arm. It's an slow moving toxin. She flashed her fabulous breasts to get his arousal, which makes his heart pumps faster, which moves the poison quicker through his body. She knew what she was doing.

Jaime will somehow get out of Dorne with his daughter, and upon arriving in King's Landing the two of them will be arrested by the fanatics, then the pair of them along with Tommen will be executed in front of Cercei, and only then will she be allowed to die.

MikeyB

You're completely wrong about this. It served an purpose. She poisoned Bronn with her sword, via the cut on his arm. It's an slow moving toxin. She flashed her fabulous breasts to get his arousal, which makes his heart pumps faster, which moves the poison quicker through his body. She knew what she was doing.

And was does that have to do with the game of thrones?

Oh just remembered that I wanted to ask if the Dorne prince is paralyzed?

He is always sitting, lethargic, and his chair looked like it has wheels.

RDreamer

This happens every season lol. "So slow", "Nothing ever happens" for the first half. Then BAM BAM BAM MAJOR PLOT POINT CHARACTER DEATH CRAZY SHIT

No it doesn't. Last season Jeoffrey died in episode 2 and Dany took a city in episode 3/4. In season 3 Jaime gets his hand cut off in episode 3, and in episode 4 there's a rebellion in the Night's Watch and Dany makes a huge play and grabs 8000 unsullied and keeps her dragons too. In season 2 we had the shadow assassination of Renly.

This season we've had... Uh... Sansa being rapes I guess?

It really does seem like they paced things much better in previous seasons.

Loakum

Banned
And was does that have to do with the game of thrones?

Are you really asking what does sex and murder have to do with Game of Thrones?

boobs have every thing to do with game of thrones.
....basically.
Pxaq9En.gif

Jarnet87

I think an important part for the set-up of the next episode(s) was when Cersei asked what Loras and Margaery might do, and the High Sparrow explained the Mother's Love. It requires begging for forgiveness and showing contrition, though, which we all know Cersei simply can't do. But if the only charge against her is sleeping with her cousin (they have no evidence regarding the parantage of her kids) then maybe the Mother's Love would be enough to have her set free.

Also, how influential was Littlefinger in getting Lancel to give up his secrets? Today's episode made it sound like he had a huge part in it because he could see that Cersei was bringing down both his empire and the entire King's Landing, but I reckoned from the start that the High Sparrow was working on Lancel, and would have gotten that stuff out of him eventually anyway.

It was also incredible to see Olenna meet her match for the first time ever. None of her punches landed, and in the end she was nearly lost for words. She can play every game ever invented, but the Sparrow simply refuses to play along. He wins by failing to engage and sticking to his principles - something Olenna simply can't understand. It will be interesting to see, in time, if the Sparrow does indeed have any vices or amibtions that might make him a hypocrite or see him brought low. He has certainly convinced me, and he's also the best new actor on the show since Oberyn.

Other thoughts:
Myrcella is sweet and cute as hell. She's literally the classic 'innocent princess in love' archetype, and we've strayed so far from typical fantasy that's it's bizarre and fun to see something like that injected back in the show.

Sam needs to get Gilly and her boy south, and in a hurry. Once again, is the Maester's life calling for Sam? They've been setting that up again and again.

Sorry, but the sand snake scene was lame. Everything about them was lame. And she looked underage. I felt dirty.

As for Cersei, I actually find it hard to know how genuine she's being when she deals with Tommen. I want to believe that everything she does she does to combat the prophecy of his death, but she's so false in all regards that it's hard to believe anything about her. Tommen seems to be waking up, though. What are the odds that he busts Marge and Loras out of jail and leaves his mom to rot? Would be delicious justice, and would win his wife back completely and get King's Landing back on the mend.

You know I want to like the show, I really do. I just give my honest opinion, always. That's the thing you've got to remember about people who really dislike certain things... they can't all be trolls!

Agree that they made it look like Littlefinger told Olenna about Lancel, and Olenna told the High Sparrow, though I question it as well since Lancel has been a convert since before the High Sparrow came into power. He has likely known but just kept it in his pocket for the right time. I think Cersei will be charged with more then just sleeping with her cousin, I'd imagine they will accuse her of incest with Jaime. Lancel may not know that they have children together, but I'd imagine he knows of Cersei and Jamie's incestuous relationship.

Niether this season or last season has had enough Varys. I didn't realized until I rewatched this ep again that it was been 4 episodes now since we've seen Varys. Where is he? I always thought a Jorah, Varys, Danerys scene would be interesting given everything that has happened.

nubbe

Tommen's fragile mind can't possible handle to know he is of incest
and his claim to the throne would be without power

Episode 9 could be total anarchy

I've just got one thing I have to say, there's just so many story threads slowly plodding along it's excruciating. All the characters get some tiny morsel of development before we move to a different one.

It's been a loong loong time since Ned Stark died, with his warnings about winter. It's been a long time since Stannis set out to take the Iron throne, same with Daenerys and Essos.

Soon there should be a confrontation, ideally with a Lannister dead for the whole musical chairs for the throne to start again. Cersei and Dany's attempts at domestic politics is getting old.

Oh yeah, wtf have they done to Arya? She used to be so badass.

Loakum

Banned
They way this is going, I can see that there won't be an Iron Throne in the finale of the show. Democratic elections for everyone, no more kings :p
Daenerys will show up to be the last villain of the show who wants to reinstate monarchy!

I have been saying this since season 2! I've been saying it repeatedly in Game of Thrones forums here and elsewhere. I don't trust Daenerys one bit! Everyone believes her to be the story of "the Savior", but instead I believe it's the story of "the Destroyah"! Think about it, every season we've seen Daenerys kill people she was close to.

- her brother
- khal drogo (she smothered him to death)
- her hand maiden
- that dude from Carth
- that former slave dude who sat on her small council of advisers
- even a potentially innocent man she fed to her dragons.

- Mr. Friendzone (Jorah) better be careful.

MikeyB

Are you really asking what does sex and murder have to do with Game of Thrones?

There's the background buzz of nudity in the show, there's sex and murder that changes power dynamics or develops characters, and then there is that scene with Bronn and the Ramsay rape scene. The first is standard "it's not TV, it's HBO" fluff, the second drives the plot, and the third seems like ham-fisted and low-brow attempts to shock or titillate the viewer. The third has no changes in power and no changes in character (Ramsay's still a psycho, Sansa is still weak, his upper hand is unchanged, Sand Snakes are all over the map, Bronn likes breasts, and both are still in jail.)

Even when Theon asked that prostitute heading south to show him her body one last time, we learned that he had a high opinion of himself, and that she had a sense of humor.

Oh yeah, wtf have they done to Arya? She used to be so badass.

Without a doubt. Her road trip of murder over a ruined Westeros has screeched to a halt in that child of a monastery and a mortuary.

Jaqen used to be bad-ass too. It's like the writers sat down and worked out how to make a face-shifting solo assassin boring. "Maybe he could be an archivist of dead people!"

Yiazmat

It's horrible. I keep saying it. It's a joke. I have enjoyed the show, generally, from the first season -- But wow, this shit is just bad.

After the episode ended, I figured Neogaf would probably be hyperventilating because 1) we saw some nice breasts and 2) cercei got thrown in jail, and I wasn't wrong. I'm too old and grizzled to be swayed by just a pair of breasts, though. The show is sucking ass.

cercei2pfoxr.gif

Nibel

Won't deny the highpoints of the episode, but the first half of that episode was just.. ugh. That whole Sam/Gilly thing feels so unnecessary to me.

And even some of those highpoints that happened felt kinda lackluster because everybody already predicted what would happen to Cersei.

The moment the episode went above 4/10 was when Dany saw both Jorah and Tyrion; this is something so major and crazy if you think about it. Also, when Baelish showed up I knew another fantastic scene would follow and he didn't disappoint.

An episode with great moments but dammit the gut punches are getting tiring and I want to see some major developments again. Also, yeah, a very important character died but it's not like it's one of those character deaths that turns the whole show upside down.

I share the sentiment that this is by far the weakest season.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's horrible. I keep saying it. It's a joke. I have enjoyed the show, generally, from the first season -- But wow, this shit is just bad.

I wouldn't call it bad, and I thought this episode was pretty great, probably the best in the season. But yeah, the season as a whole is just flat. I'm someone who likes the show even when it's not great and am happy to see things develop even if marginally, but this season so far has been the definition of treading water. Seems to be gearing up a bit now, but it's hard to undo all the nothingness.

Plus this season has the Bronn/Jamie/Sand Snakes fight which immediately makes it the worst.

Vashetti

Banned
Amazing episode! I've enjoyed them all so far but this one was just fantastic.

Seems to be gearing up for the endgame now, next ep looks intense, only 3 left!

Curufinwe

whats ridiculous is the fact tommen cant just pass a law removing that group of their powers and getting everyone back

What's ridiculous is that you think a well armed religious militia with strong leadership and the support of the poor people (who are the majority in Kings Landing) can be removed by writing something on a piece of paper. Trying to disband the Faith Militant now would result in war.

rd-tommen-at-sept-game-of-thrones-sons-of-the-harpy.jpeg

nubbe

What's ridiculous is that you think a well armed religious militia with strong leadership and the support of the poor people (who are the majority in Kings Landing) can be removed by writing something on a piece of paper. Trying to disband the faith militant now would result in war.

sx69ZNd.gif

Symphonia

Banned
Will there be just as big an uproar about murdering a young child as there was for the rape of Sansa Stark? Find out next week, only on NeoGAF...

rjc571

Banned
RIP Amon

Was it ever explained why Agon was king instead of Amon, even though Amon was older? I don't remember the show going into too much detail regarding House Targaryen's backstory.

Curufinwe

RIP Amon

Was it ever explained why Agon was king instead of Amon, even though Amon was older? I don't remember the show going into too much detail regarding House Targaryen's backstory.

From the GoT wiki.

Aemon was born into the royal House Targaryen, the son of King Maekar I. Originally known as Prince Aemon Targaryen, he was not his father's eldest son, so he eventually joined the order of Maesters. Aemon gave up all rights to inheritance when he took his vows, which also included dropping his surname "Targaryen".

Aemon's older brother, Aerion, later died, however, and despite being a sworn maester there were those who felt that the crown should pass to him. Aemon refused the throne, however, and it passed to his younger brother, who became King Aegon V. Aemon then joined the Night's Watch to remove himself from the political intrigues of the royal court, and those who wished to set him up as a rival against his brother.

royalan

What's ridiculous is that you think a well armed religious militia with strong leadership and the support of the poor people (who are the majority in Kings Landing) can be removed by writing something on a piece of paper. Trying to disband the Faith Militant now would result in war.

I don't know if I believe this in the context of the world, though.

Didn't Cersei have all bastard babies that looked like Robert slaughtered not too long ago? If that didn't cause an uprising, I'm not sure killing some religious fanatics would. Especially since the faith militant doesn't have the support of all of the people. They've spent just as much time terrorizing normal people as they have the royalty. There are probably a lot of people in the city who would be happy to see them dealt with.

Also, I don't understand how the high Septum completely ignored Lady Olenna's threat. Seemed pretty legit to me. Sure, the whole "We are the many, you are the few" made for a nice moment. But, in reality, if the Tyrells do cut off their support, Kings Landing WILL starve. And if she informs the people that the High Septum's selfishness is to blame...I don't see how he doesn't end up hanged that same day...

JB1981

A well armed militia? We have seen like 7 of them? And they are going to take out the Gold Cloaks and the rest of the army in Kings Landing? Perhaps the book does a better job of establishing their power in KL but this show has done a very shitty job portraying their influence. The Seven come across as a nascent religious cult that is few in number. It's the biggest fumble of the season, imo

Wow the point completely flew over your head there.

I'm talking story wise, like the actual point of the scene. Because the threat of the poison is raised and then immediately dismissed in the same fuckin scene.

Curufinwe

I don't know if I believe this in the context of the world, though.

Didn't Cersei have all bastard babies that looked like Robert slaughtered not too long ago? If that didn't cause an uprising, I'm not sure killing some religious fanatics would. Especially since the faith militant doesn't have the support of all of the people. They've spent just as much time terrorizing normal people as they have the royalty. There are probably a lot of people in the city who would be happy to see them dealt with.

Joffrey did that, and it's one of the things that made the royal family unpopular. When did we see the Faith Militant terrorizing normal people? We saw them go after rich people in Littlefinger's brothel, and running a soup kitchen for the poor. But even if there's no general uprising, disbanding and disarming the religious fanatics now would involve a war between them and the Lannister soldiers with the Sept of the Baelor as ground zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom