• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

Jamie and Bronn buddy heist movie episode incoming. Really looking forward to it. Two proper villains.

Arya can be a frightening little girl.

Daenerys is the worst politician. Just inept.

Nibel

Usually I moan when I see Meeren in the opening credits, but I must say I quite enjoyed Dany's story in this episode. Finally some stuff is happening over there that is actually building up towards something exciting since in the previous season she didn't have to rule people to win them over and now she has to. Yes, she failed, but she couldn't win anyway. No option was perfect and killing that dude in front of all at least sent out a message.

The scene between Tyrion and Varys (?) was fantastic. Really loving their dialogue and this shapes up to be another great duo. Jaime and Bronn is an interesting combination, and really interested to see how it will work out.

My personal highlight was Arya though; I feel like at this point she is my favorite character that I like to see on the screen. The beheading of the dove and the reveal were great and made me smile. Hope she will get stronger and smarter with help from the house of black and white.

Nikodemos

Man, Dany just can't win. Though she should've exercised caution and put the Harpy guy under constant watch. If Fedorah were around he may have offered her this advice, though we'll never know.

Also, Jaqen, ma' main man.

I'm getting bored with some of the main character story lines and now that Joffrey and Tywin are dead the replacements all feel the same. Id like to see more of gendry, Benjen and Bran Stark.

MikeyB

It's not just you or maybe there's only one chain of taverns.

If the next episode is also set-up, I'm really not going to be bothered for not having HBO access for a few weeks in May. I'll binge watch what I missed while cleaning my house and doing laundry or something.

Volimar

If the next episode is also set-up, I'm really not going to be bothered for not having HBO access for a few weeks in May. I'll binge watch what I missed while cleaning my house and doing laundry or something.

It's a franchise. McTaverns.

Vashetti

Banned

Rewatch the previous seasons, the 'formula' hasn't changed folks. All the 'big' events will be at the end of the season, as always. Some medium-to-big events dotted throughout though, of course.

Nibel

Is it me or is there only one tavern on the whole kings road?

More like they are not all over Westeros like McDonalds in first-world countries. It makes sense that there aren't many of them and that there is a high chance of characters colliding with each other.

Loakum

Banned
Daenerys....the more I think about her decision to execute that young man, the more I say it was an idiotic move. First she wanted to execute the Harpy dude, but her council wisely talked her out of it. The reason being, she needs to show her people that she will be a just ruler, without instantly resorting to violence. So then Dany wisely conceded to have him stand trial. After the former slave now council member take it a pond himself to murder the prisoner, Dany decides to publicly executes him.....the VERY thing they talked her out of, with the previous dude. UGH! The reaction of the crowd definitely reflects the reaction of Dany's fan base from season 1, to now.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hell, it could be Sansa for all we know. I think it's supposed to provide insight into Cersei's paranoia.
Yeah I was going to say, I think at one point Cersei thought it was going to be Sansa, back when she was going to marry Joffrey. For Cersei all younger women who are gaining power are her enemy.

The way that episode ends, i wonder if Drogon is going to make that town a BBQ since they pissed off mommy or if it was just a "hey mom, im home from college" visit to check in on her. It's really hard to tell if dany was excited or deeply concerned or both with his appearance.

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah I was going to say, I think at one point Cersei thought it was going to be Sansa, back when she was going to marry Joffrey. For Cersei all younger women who are gaining power are her enemy.

maxresdefault.jpg

"Everyone who isn't us is an enemy."

Daenerys....the more I think about her decision to execute that young man, the more I say it was an idiotic move. First she wanted to execute the Harpy dude, but her council wisely talked her out of it. The reason being, she needs to show her people that she will be a just ruler, without instantly resorting to violence. So then Dany wisely conceded to have him stand trial. After the former slave now council member take it a pond himself to murder the prisoner, Dany decides to publicly executes him.....the VERY thing they talked her out of, with the previous dude.

The guy already admitted to his crime, I think a trial would just delay the inevitable. He would be found guilty and be executed just the same, and everyone would still riot. Daenerys may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I legitimately think this was just a bad situation all round. If she made a mistake, it was in not making sure the harpy dude was being watched at all times in case someone tried to kill him.

Loakum

Banned
The guy already admitted to his crime, I think a trial would just delay the inevitable. He would be found guilty and be executed just the same, and everyone would still riot. Daenerys may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I legitimately think this was just a bad situation all round. If she made a mistake, it was in not making sure the harpy dude was being watched at all times in case someone tried to kill him.

The purpose of the trial was to sway public opinion politically. To earn the trust of her people. To show her ruler ship is less like her people's former masters. Then she instantly executes a former slave like their former masters. It wasn't a good political move.

rambis

Banned
Daenerys....the more I think about her decision to execute that young man, the more I say it was an idiotic move. First she wanted to execute the Harpy dude, but her council wisely talked her out of it. The reason being, she needs to show her people that she will be a just ruler, without instantly resorting to violence. So then Dany wisely conceded to have him stand trial. After the former slave now council member take it a pond himself to murder the prisoner, Dany decides to publicly executes him.....the VERY thing they talked her out of, with the previous dude. UGH! The reaction of the crowd definitely reflects the reaction of Dany's fan base from season 1, to now.
Its not the same thing at all. You have a case of someone allegedly murdering slaves and you have a case of someone admitting to directly disregarding a decree for someone to stand trial and committing murder.

Loakum

Banned
Its not the same thing at all. You have a case of someone allegedly murdering slaves and you have a case of someone admitting to directly disregarding a decree for someone to stand trial and committing murder.

The purpose of the trial was to show Daenerys rule will be different than their former slave masters. Her publicly executing a former slave, was just like their former masters. It was a bad choice politically. The reaction of the crowd that was previously calling her "Mother, Mother", now hissing at her like a snake supports my very point.

Wait there's not going to be Bran on this season? I hope my Theory of Bran controlling Danny's Dragon's again the ice zombies is at least hinted in some way.

Vashetti

Banned
grammar nazis annoy me.

Sorry, I just follow this show religiously, probably akin to a book reader and the books. Seeing misspelt names and places really frustrates me. I suppose I can't quite fathom when other show watchers don't share my passion.

Wait there's not going to be Bran on this season? I hope my Theory of Bran controlling Danny's Dragon's again the ice zombies is at least hinted in some way.

Yes, confirmed multiple times. He's not in the season at all. Isaac hasn't even heard if he's back for Season 6 yet.

iNvid02

i just forgot about walder frey after how traumatic the red wedding was, but hearing arya chant his name on the steps reminded me that he is one more motherfucker that needs to die

Vashetti

Banned
i just forgot about walder frey after how traumatic the red wedding was, but hearing arya chant his name on the steps reminded me that he is one more motherfucker that needs to die

Her list has shrank dramatically.

No Illyn Payne, no Beric Dondarrion, Thoros of Myr, the Red Woman, the Hound, probably more.

rambis

Banned
The purpose of the trial was to show Daenerys rule will be different than their former slave masters. Her publicly executing a former slave, was just like their former masters. It was a bad choice politically. The reaction of the crowd that was previously calling her "Mother, Mother", now hissing at her like a snake supports my very point.
I think maybe you misunderstood the implications then. The point of the master getting a trial is because it is a crime that she most likely knew the guy did but had no real proof. It's not about showing mercy, they guy who committed the crimes is most likely going to die in the same way she was going to kill him firstly, after a trial. The point is due process for something you're not 100% on.

Its entirely the polar opposite of one of your subject's willfully ignoring a command and committing a murder and admitting it.

The ex slaves were simply mad because they wanted mercy for the guy. Justice had no bearing, they just begged for him to live. Their hissing doesn't prove any injustice.

Loakum

Banned
Sorry, I just follow this show religiously, probably akin to a book reader and the books. Seeing misspelt names and places really frustrates me. I suppose I can't quite fathom when other show watchers don't share my passion.

Yes, confirmed multiple times. He's not in the season at all. Isaac hasn't even heard if he's back for Season 6 yet.

It's cool man. I apologize for my forward response

Loakum

Banned
I think maybe you misunderstood the implications then. The point of the master getting a trial is because it is a crime that she most likely knew the guy did but had no real proof. It's not about showing mercy, they guy who committed the crimes is most likely going to die in the same way she was going to kill him firstly, after a trial. The point is due process for something you're not 100% on.

Its entirely the polar opposite of one of your subject's willfully ignoring a command and committing a murder and admitting it.

The ex slaves were simply mad because they wanted mercy for the guy. Justice had no bearing, they just begged for him to live. Their hissing doesn't prove any injustice.

You're having a legal debate. I'm having a political one. It would had been better served to not execute him publicly. Instead she should had him stand trial publicly. It's the same mistake Rob Stark made when he beheaded that guy for killing those two Lannister children.

Loakum

Banned
No problem man. I think earlier in the thread someone suggested I should get a tag of something like "Game of Thrones is serious business.", which would be apt :p

Well it kind of is serious business, due to how emotionally invested fans (like myself) are for this show/books. I'm starting to become as obsessed with the Witcher, because it reminds me of Game of Thrones. I watch The Witcher 3 trailers daily on repeat! lol

rambis

Banned
You're having a legal debate. I'm having a political one. It would had been better served to not execute him publicly. Instead she should had him stand trial publicly. It's the same mistake Rob Stark made when he beheaded that guy for killing those two Lannister children.
Its political as well. She doesn't just rule over ex slaves. There are obviously the former masters whom I'm fairly certain control the vast majority of that realm's finances. If Justice is to be dealt in court(ie in front of everybody) then that means everybody's justice should be served in court. How would the masters react to the slaves getting spared embarrassment while they get beheaded in the open?

iNvid02

jon really is like ned in all but name to refuse something like that. god damn if his honor gets him axed as well :_;

the dragons are still growing right? the one thats roaming free seemed large but whats the final form look like in terms of size?

Well it kind of is serious business, due to how emotionally invested fans (like myself) are for this show/books. I'm starting to become as obsessed with the Witcher, because it reminds me of Game of Thrones. I watch The Witcher 3 trailers daily on repeat! lol

from the looks of things its probably the closest game to the show to date, super excited as well

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what Walter Donovan/General Veers is going to do since he keeps getting fucked over (deservedly so) by Cersei.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Jesus, I didn't know that. He's gonna come back all grown and shit.

the dragons are still growing right? the one thats roaming free seemed large but whats the final form look like in terms of size?

Well, the last dragons were much smaller and meeker than their predecessors so we don't know if these dragons will grow to be much larger in comparison. But it sure does seem like they're getting pretty big

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Its political as well. She doesn't just rule over ex slaves. There are obviously the former masters whom I'm fairly certain control the vast majority of that realm's finances. If Justice is to be dealt in court(ie in front of everybody) then that means everybody's justice should be served in court. How would the masters react to the slaves getting spared embarrassment while they get beheaded in the open?

Exactly. People tend to forget the other side to the coin; the old master. The ex-slave defied her order, committed an open murder, and made a very public display of it. He confessed willingly about the murder, so a trail would be moot. However, I do happen to think that Dany was fucked in this situation right from the get go. The problem with trying to govern over two completely disparate groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom