• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing
prosthetics made from the face of recently deceased people. Apart from a "clever" camera trick, Jaqen is always shown touching his face when transitioning. And he always transition to the same face, so we can assume that it's his real face, and the prisoner face and the grumpy old guy face were decoys.

Hmm, but it could be that he transitions back to that face because of practical filming reasons, or because he wants that to be his "fake identity", keeping his real face hidden forever, as he gave up his past and his name.

Robb was kind of a dummy.
He was in some ways, definitely. But I think this downfall is more due to having the worst small council of all time. Some of Danny's small council members seem useless a lot of the time, but they didn't all hurt Danny on a consistent basis.

Reek, His mom, Karstark, Roose Bolton. Then look at the damage they caused him.

Robb Stark was a diplomatic disaster. Good in combat apparently (even though we barely ever even got to see one of the fights, we just heard about them afterwards), but his diplomacy skills were seriously even worse than the average peons, especially the way he treated the Karstarks.

Khaz

Hmm, but it could be that he transitions back to that face because of practical filming reasons, or because he wants that to be his "fake identity", keeping his real face hidden forever, as he gave up his past and his name.

Now that's a Scooby-Doo plot ^^

Jaqen.gif

S5-E2-Faceless-man-becomes-Jaqen.gif

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Robb Stark was a diplomatic disaster. Good in combat apparently (even though we barely ever even got to see one of the fights, we just heard about them afterwards), but his diplomacy skills were seriously even worse than the average peons, especially the way he treated the Karstarks.

Let's not mention marrying a woman after he promised he would marry the daughter of a wicked man/lord. No way he was just going to forgive that this easily in this cruel world.

Nibel

Not sure if this is true; if anything, him being too optimistic is what killed him in the end.

Let's not mention marrying a woman after he promised he would marry the daughter of a wicked man/lord. No way he was just going to forgive that this easily in this cruel world.

And then Robb got mad at his uncle-or-whatever for not wanting to marry another one of the daughters. Robb said something along the lines of "it's not just about you, don't be selfish; you marrying her will help our people greatly in the war".

Piss off, Robby.

Not sure if this is true; if anything, him being too optimistic is what killed him in the end.

He completely ruined his relationship with pretty much all of his allies. That killed him. Along with stupidity. And yeah I suppose stupidity and optimism kind of go hand in hand in this world.

Nameless

He was in some ways, definitely. But I think this downfall is more due to having the worst small council of all time. Some of Danny's small council members seem useless a lot of the time, but they didn't all hurt Danny on a consistent basis.

Nah it's on him. His council told him not break his oath to the Freys, he did anyway. He was advised not to deal with the Greyjoys, he did anyway. Everyone urged him not to execute Lord Karstark as it would cause him to lose half his troops, he did it anyway. His mother explained why it was a dumb shit idea to get back into bed with Freys after betraying them, guess what, The King who Lost The North did it anyway. Nevermind he made the decision to throw away 2000 troops to win an ultimately meaningless battle at the beginning of the war.

Robb Stark was a bonehead and a horrendous leader, most of the terrible things that befell House Stark are his fault.

Venture

I don't think Ramsay will torture or harm Sansa in any way, the bolton way seems to be torture your enemies and flay them and whatnot, but not your friend/wives/lovers
You're forgetting the start of season 4. Ramsay hunted down one of his lovers and had his dogs tear her apart.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You're forgetting the start of season 4. Ramsay hunted down one of his lovers and had his dogs tear her apart.

Was she a lover? I thought she was just a servant or prostitute (or whatever) that did something he(or his now ex-girlfriend) didn't like.

I would have done the same with Oona Chaplin, and so would you. Admit it. Did you see Frey's daughters? Might as well marry a whitewalker.

But this is why polygamy is or was important. No time for silly romance crap. He could have married both!

Nah it's on him. His council told him not break his oath to the Freys, he did anyway. He was advised not to deal with the Greyjoys, he did anyway. Everyone urged him not to execute Lord Karstark as it would cause him to lose half his troops, he did it anyway. His mother explained why it was a dumb shit idea to get back into bed with Freys after betraying them, guess what, The King who Lost The North did it anyway. Nevermind he made the decision to throw away 2000 troops to win an ultimately meaningless battle at the beginning of the war.

Robb Stark was a bonehead and a horrendous leader, most of the terrible things that befell House Stark are his fault.
Those are some fair points. I think his mom warned him but I don't believe she told him to not do it. I think you are greatly exaggerating saying that the bad things about the Starks are his fault, that's only in regards to his wife/kid and mother. You seem to belittling his war capabilities which is hilarious though. The guy owned Tywin and Jaime Lannister, it would not have been meaningless had they been slaughtered and their story ended in season 1, episode 10. Unlike Stannis who got wrecked by the Lannisters on their first battle, who then spent an entire season moaning and crying. I think he was a great leader in terms of warfare but pretty terrible politician. The idea of Reek betraying him was something that is tough to see, it's nice to pretend otherwise knowing the story but they were best friends and the guy saved his life as well at the end of season 1 I believe. Red Wedding was also an anomaly, since that's something that doesn't happen. Killing Karstark and getting married instead of waiting was fucking stupid however, just dumb moves.

This is why I like Stannis and am confused about others that hate him. He uses his council extremely well. He uses Davos for negotiations and the Red Witch to have sex with her.. ... sorry I mean to help him earn a massive army. Now he is trying to add another member to his council in Jon Snuu. People don't like that he's not actively doing it all himself but then again he shouldn't when he doesn't need to.

Curufinwe

Bolton gave him good advice, he just ignored it.

Venture

Was she a lover? I thought she was just a servant or prostitute (or whatever) that did something he(or his now ex-girlfriend) didn't like.
You're probably right. During the hunt Ramsay says it's because she made the other feel jealous.

-=runs off to HBO Go=-

Myranda is the dark haired one that was giving Sansa the stink eye.

Tansy was the blond one that got eaten by Ramsay's dogs.

I thought about this, what if Jon Snow is not the son of Ned but the son of Ned's sister? Then again, why wouldn't he tell Catelyn who hated him so much. Hm.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I would have done the same with Oona Chaplin, and so would you. Admit it. Did you see Frey's daughters? Might as well marry a whitewalker.

But this is why polygamy is or was important. No time for silly romance crap. He could have married both!

He had that one gorgeous daughter though.

Ferrio

Banned
I thought about this, what if Jon Snow is not the son of Ned but the son of Ned's sister? Then again, why wouldn't he tell Catelyn who hated him so much. Hm.

A common theory, one I believe in. Though seeing how so many people came to this conclusion I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to not do it.

A common theory, one I believe in. Though seeing how so many people came to this conclusion I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to not do it.

Question, did Robert have sex with his sister ? God I hope to see one or two prequel seasons like Spartacus did. My knowledge about what happened before the series started is a little bit foggy.

Valus

Question, did Robert have sex with his sister ? God I hope to see one or two prequel seasons like Spartacus did. My knowledge about what happened before the series started is a little bit foggy.

No way they're going to do a prequel season or two when they've confirmed that like...there's only 2-3 seasons left or something. They could dedicate a single episode I would say, but definitely no more than that. I think the Targarian guy raped Ned's sister, which possibly could have birthed a half dragon/direworlf Jon.

If he does have Targarian blood, unfortunately he doesn't have the immunity to fire trait since we saw him get burned in the first season.

No way they're going to do a prequel season or two when they've confirmed that like...there's only 2-3 seasons left or something. They could dedicate a single episode I would say, but definitely no more than that. I think the Targarian guy raped Ned's sister, which possibly could have birthed a half dragon/direworlf Jon.

If he does have Targarian blood, unfortunately he doesn't have the immunity to fire trait since we saw him get burned in the first season.

Well, the potential prequel seasons would obviously be after the two-three seasons that are left. Did they say that they wanted this GoT story to end in a certain amount of seasons or all things related to GoT period? I'm thinking a prequel, successor or spin-off is likely if the popularity continues. Lots of room for spin-offs.

TM94

Thought the first two episodes were slow but the latest one really was a return to form.

Whole Jon Snow segment was terrific.

Also that Tommen actor is one lucky kid, wonder how many times he 'failed' that scene to stay in bed with Natalie Dormer?

Kinyou

I'm guessing
prosthetics made from the face of recently deceased people. Apart from a "clever" camera trick, Jaqen is always shown touching his face when transitioning. And he always transition to the same face, so we can assume that it's his real face, and the prisoner face and the grumpy old guy face were decoys.
I thought something similar. But we also have already seen actual magic in the show so I imagine that's not out of the question either.

eh, i don't know if this counts as a spoiler or not because it's just rumors and theories but i'll put it in spoiler text anyhow because i don't think it's fair to just throw it out there.
the reason that Robert seems to have been so pissed at Rhaegar for what he did to Lyanna is less to do with what his warped mind thought, that he thought that Rhaegar had kidnapped and raped her but the truth being that she didn't care for robert at all and was doing some secret business with Rhaegar, something she had hidden from robert so as to not hurt him and also would've been a big issue since i believe she was betrothed to him. To robert, there is no reality where the woman he has always adored would do this to him, so it's a much easier narrative to swallow the kidnapping and raping stuff. Ned's the first on the scene during war to where his sister and Rhaegar are at. It's then that he supposedly finds out about all of this after she's passed away, supposedly from giving birth to Jon Snow. Ned, wanting to not risk the wrath of Robert and having the boy killed because he's technically a targaryen, takes the hit on his reputation and acknowledges Jon as his own child, sparing him in the process.

let me know if what i posted is allowed, if it isn't ill quickly erase it. None of it is confirmed, but it's a sound theory and none of it pulls from the books.

Razmos

I was thinking they offer up the faces of the recently deceased to the Many-Faced God and in return it gives them the ability to change their faces to the faces they offered.

Makes me think of the Mother of Faces from Avatar:
latest

Thought the first two episodes were slow but the latest one really was a return to form.

Also that Tommen actor is one lucky kid, wonder how many times he 'failed' that scene to stay in bed with Natalie Dormer?

Feel bad for Dormer.

She's like 27 or something, and the kid is probably no older than 16/17.

Nameless

Those are some fair points. I think his mom warned him but I don't believe she told him to not do it. I think you are greatly exaggerating saying that the bad things about the Starks are his fault, that's only in regards to his wife/kid and mother. You seem to belittling his war capabilities which is hilarious though. The guy owned Tywin and Jaime Lannister, it would not have been meaningless had they been slaughtered and their story ended in season 1, episode 10. Unlike Stannis who got wrecked by the Lannisters on their first battle, who then spent an entire season moaning and crying. I think he was a great leader in terms of warfare but pretty terrible politician. The idea of Reek betraying him was something that is tough to see, it's nice to pretend otherwise knowing the story but they were best friends and the guy saved his life as well at the end of season 1 I believe. Red Wedding was also an anomaly, since that's something that doesn't happen. Killing Karstark and getting married instead of waiting was fucking stupid however, just dumb moves.

This is why I like Stannis and am confused about others that hate him. He uses his council extremely well. He uses Davos for negotiati
ons and the Red Witch to have sex with her.. ... sorry I mean to help him earn a massive army. Now he is trying to add another member to his council in Jon Snuu. People don't like that he's not actively doing it all himself but then again he shouldn't when he doesn't need to.

Cat flat out told him 'never trust a Greyjoy'. She was also pretty straightforward about not getting in league with the Freys to begin with and about not marrying Talisa -- in fact she floated the notion of Frey delivering Robb to the Lannisters, which is what prompted her to suggest going to negotiate in Robb's stead. No one, not even his wife, thought it was a good idea to kill Rickard Karstark.

Sure Robb was well versed in military tactics, why wouldn't he be after being groomed from day 1 by the likes of Ser Rodrik and Ned to command the Northern armies? There's more to being a good leader than understanding the Xs and Os of war, though. Great, he never lost a battle -- that stat is utterly meaningless when you sacrifice 10% of your men early on , drive away the Frey forces, drive away the Karstark forces, and hand deliver your remaining troops for slaughter to the man you just fucked over. The vast majority of his army was lost as a direct result of dumb decision making and poor leadership.

Stannis, as rigid as he can be, does actually consider his advisors' advice, even though listening to Davos and not taking Melisandre to Blackwater is a big reason he lost along with the sneak attack by Tywin and the Tyrells.

Ferrio

Banned
eh, i don't know if this counts as a spoiler or not because it's just rumors and theories but i'll put it in spoiler text anyhow because i don't think it's fair to just throw it out there. [/SPOILER]

let me know if what i posted is allowed, if it isn't ill quickly erase it. None of it is confirmed, but it's a sound theory and none of it pulls from the books.

Yep what I've always believed.

Cat flat out told him 'never trust a Greyjoy'. She was also pretty straightforward about not getting in league with the Freys to begin with and about not marrying Talisa -- in fact she floated the notion of Frey delivering Robb to the Lannisters, which is what prompted her to suggest going to negotiate in Robb's stead. No one, not even his wife, thought it was a good idea to kill Rickard Karstark.

Sure Robb was well versed in military tactics, why wouldn't he be after being groomed from day 1 by the likes of Ser Rodrik and Ned to command the Northern armies? There's more to being a good leader than understanding the Xs and Os of war, though. Great, he never lost a battle -- that stat is utterly meaningless when you sacrifice 10% of your men early on , drive away the Frey forces, drive away the Karstark forces, and hand deliver your remaining troops for slaughter to the man you just fucked over. The vast majority of his army was lost as a direct result of dumb decision making and poor leadership.

Stannis, as rigid as he can be, does actually consider his advisors' advice, even though listening to Davos and not taking Melisandre to Blackwater is a big reason he lost along with the sneak attack by Tywin and the Tyrells.
You do realize that based on what you've said, I agree with you right? Literally in the same comment you've quoted. :p I still think the Grayjoy issue is something that's nice to talk about in terms of hindsight but his best friend convincing his dumbass father is worth the risk. If it doesn't work, then maybe his best friend that saved his life might not turn on him. The Karstark decision was beyond stupid though, as was marrying Talisa. I think going to the wedding was not the smartest move but also something where you think maybe he won't commit something that is known as the biggest taboo.

Don't know why you're downplaying Robb's tactics. Sacrificing those men is why he isn't dead since episode 10 of season 1. He was great in terms of battle but his politic game was terrible. Jon certainly seems more suave but also has the dumb honor part of the Starks.

eh, i don't know if this counts as a spoiler or not because it's just rumors and theories but i'll put it in spoiler text anyhow because i don't think it's fair to just throw it out there.
the reason that Robert seems to have been so pissed at Rhaegar for what he did to Lyanna is less to do with what his warped mind thought, that he thought that Rhaegar had kidnapped and raped her but the truth being that she didn't care for robert at all and was doing some secret business with Rhaegar, something she had hidden from robert so as to not hurt him and also would've been a big issue since i believe she was betrothed to him. To robert, there is no reality where the woman he has always adored would do this to him, so it's a much easier narrative to swallow the kidnapping and raping stuff. Ned's the first on the scene during war to where his sister and Rhaegar are at. It's then that he supposedly finds out about all of this after she's passed away, supposedly from giving birth to Jon Snow. Ned, wanting to not risk the wrath of Robert and having the boy killed because he's technically a targaryen, takes the hit on his reputation and acknowledges Jon as his own child, sparing him in the process.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

I'm sure I read an interview last year where Dorner was initially uncomfortable with their scene in S4 last year and it had to be toned down.

Even the guy who played Tommen didn't like it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/68134217/got-star-says-love-scene-was-messedup

Chapman, who was only 16 when filming took place, says it was his first on-screen love scene and Dormer, who is 17 years his senior, was fully professional and helpful.

"It was very disturbing," Chapman told MTV News after he watched the scene.

"Normally when my stuff's on the telly, I don't watch my own bits.

"But this was such a big scene for my character, so I checked it out. I found out about that scene by reading the script, and I was really shocked.

Astral Dog

yeah luck boy bunch of repeated scenes, Nice.

sorry

Nameless

You do realize that based on what you've said, I agree with you right? Literally in the same comment you've quoted. :p I still think the Grayjoy issue is something that's nice to talk about in terms of hindsight but his best friend convincing his dumbass father is worth the risk. If it doesn't work, then maybe his best friend that saved his life might not turn on him. The Karstark decision was beyond stupid though, as was marrying Talisa. I think going to the wedding was not the smartest move but also something where you think maybe he won't commit something that is known as the biggest taboo.

Don't know why you're downplaying Robb's tactics. Sacrificing those men is why he isn't dead since episode 10 of season 1. He was great in terms of battle but his politic game was terrible. Jon certainly seems more suave but also has the dumb honor part of the Starks.

But again, it's just not that he made dumb decisions, it's that he defiantly went against everyone around him telling him the decisions were stupid. He sorta reminds me of Daeny in that he's woefully short-sighted and thinks that his being in charge makes every move he makes the correct one.

Also I don't think I am downplaying his tactical prowess at all . Being a talented military tactician means pig shit if your overall inability to lead effectively continually leads to your own bannermen leaving or betraying you.

foxtrot3d

Banned
the reason that Robert seems to have been so pissed at Rhaegar for what he did to Lyanna is less to do with what his warped mind thought, that he thought that Rhaegar had kidnapped and raped her but the truth being that she didn't care for robert at all and was doing some secret business with Rhaegar, something she had hidden from robert so as to not hurt him and also would've been a big issue since i believe she was betrothed to him. To robert, there is no reality where the woman he has always adored would do this to him, so it's a much easier narrative to swallow the kidnapping and raping stuff. *snip* not wanting to not risk the wrath of Robert and having the boy killed because he's technically a targaryen, takes the hit on his reputation and acknowledges Jon as his own child, sparing him in the process.

Eh, I don't ever remember the show discussing
Ned's actions during or after the war relating to finding his sister. I get that it's all still just a theory and a VERY old one at that, but the small tidbit pf Ned stuff is still outside knowledge.

You know what is funny, "only" three Starks died (Ned, Robb and Catelyn) and I think more Lannisters died (The twins, Tywin and Joffrey who is basically a Lannister).

Starks are strong, I mean Sansa can manipulate so much right now, Arya is learning how to be an assassin, Bran is learning how to use his gift, rickon is alive and Jon Snow is the commander of the Nightswatch and hopefully in the future the warden of the north.

Vashetti

Banned
You know what is funny, "only" three Starks died (Ned, Robb and Catelyn) and I think more Lannisters died (The twins, Tywin and Joffrey who is basically a Lannister).

Starks are strong, I mean Sansa can manipulate so much right now, Arya is learning how to be an assassin, Bran is learning how to use his gift, rickon is alive and Jon Snow is the commander and hopefully in the future the warden of the north.

Implying Benjen is alive beyond the Wall somewhere :p

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
She wasn't prepared to throw Needle away.

A girl is still Arya Stark.

With my expectations for death in this show, I honestly thought she was gonna toss Needle away.

Not yet, I guess. But Needle's days are (probably?) numbered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom