• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

The giant, Mance and Jon's talk, Tywin and Tyrion, fucking Bronn...loved it. I didn't really feel anything for Margaery in the books but in the show she's great.

I was a little disappointed they didn't get to Arya or Brienne yet. That's about it.

Azrael

The manticore was very underplayed. Have it sting somebody, get a shot of them foaming at the mouth, people running around screaming. It wasn't scary at all.

neoism

Tell your cable/sat company that you're dropping them for one of the "free hbo for X amount of months for new subscribers" deals that all the companies generally run. That's how we got HBO for free.

Edit: This advice assumes you're in the US. I don't know if it applies anywhere else.

Edit 2: To clarify, you don't actually drop your current provider; you just threaten them.

US I got dish like 4 months ago from garbage Time warner just use them for internet which is basically robbery... 80 a month for 30/5..:( no other option... dish was like 160 off meh bill lol I was paying 300+ to time warner for all the movie channels..+ the internet, dish is like 13$ a month for hbo... thats a good deal for me... TBBT is the only show I watch besides movie channels so its ok for me for a few months... this show is worth it.

LordCanti

The manticore was very underplayed. Have it sting somebody, get a shot of them foaming at the mouth, people running around screaming. It wasn't scary at all.

I got a little freaked out when the leg came out and I thought it was a spider.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ros: Allow me this forced exposition.

WHY DOES SHE STILL EXIST

The episode ended pretty great though. No Strong Belwas fucking sucks though, FUCK. The time used for that worthless Ros scene could have been used for Belwas.

LordCanti

US I got dish like 4 months ago from garbage Time warner just use them for internet which is basically robbery... 80 a month for 30/5..:( no other option... dish was like 160 off meh bill lol I was paying 300+ to time warner for all the movie channels..+ the internet, dish is like 13$ a month for hbo... thats a good deal for me... TBBT is the only show I watch besides movie channels so its ok for me for a few months... this show is worth it.

Just to be absolutely clear, you don't have to actually cancel. If they tell you that you can't have HBO for free, you just politely say "okay"
.jpeg
and hang up the phone after agreeing to pay for it.

If you're willing to pay for it though, I don't know why I'm trying to talk you out of it :p

WHY DOES SHE STILL EXIST

The episode ended pretty great though. No Strong Belwas fucking sucks though, FUCK. The time used for that worthless Ros scene could have been used for Belwas.

I agree with all of this. I don't know where they're going with her. Is it going to be (all books spoilers)
Her, Littlefinger and Sansa at the Eyrie? Why bother? Or is she the one they're going to kill at the boat because she knows too much and is an untrustworthy..well....whore? Instead of Ser Dontos.

Subitai

WHY DOES SHE STILL EXIST
I think you answered your own question. =P

Seriously though. I don't mind her. I don't think we really appreciate in here how hard it is to fit something this broad on TV. Ros also gives a tangible personality to the weakest people in the world that GRRM describes in such detail in the book. ASoS
Ros recommending Shae protect Sansa from Littlefinger in their exchange was a nice touch in terms of foreshadowing Littlefinger's plans.

Dawg

I don't think I realize yet that I have to wait another week for the next episode.

and another 7 weeks after that for RW

kirblar

I agree with all of this. I don't know where they're going with her. Is it going to be (all books spoilers)
Her, Littlefinger and Sansa at the Eyrie? Why bother? Or is she the one they're going to kill at the boat because she knows too much and is an untrustworthy..well....whore? Instead of Ser Dontos.
In regards to why:
There's a specific role she could fill at the Aerie.

Jeels

It didn't feel to me like Dany's life was in any danger, and I think I would have been terribly confused by it if I hadn't read the book.

I feel like some of you book readers are extrapolating way too much about how you'd feel if you hadn't read the book. There's no way you'd know. I didn't read the book, but that scene certainly felt tense to me. I actually thought the guy in the black hood was going to attack her!

neoism

Just to be absolutely clear, you don't have to actually cancel. If they tell you that you can't have HBO for free, you just politely say "okay"
.jpeg
and hang up the phone after agreeing to pay for it.

If you're willing to pay for it though, I don't know why I'm trying to talk you out of it :p

thanks for the tip nonetheless. ;p
I feel like some of you book readers are extrapolating way too much about how you'd feel if you hadn't read the book. There's no way you'd know. I didn't read the book, but that scene certainly felt tense to me. I actually thought the guy in the black hood was going to attack her!
glad I'm lazy and have and will not read the books... I may later though...did the same with HP.... watched the movie first... but it sucks though because you just know everything including what they didn't show....
lol wish these episodes where like 2 hours or something... was so pissed at the end when it went to black.. amazing how fast an hour can go by, dat dragon scene was boss as fuck..

Bread

Banned

WHY DOES SHE STILL EXIST

She definitely has to be
taking Ser Dontos's role edit: or marrillion or however you spell it as someone else said

I think that's extremely likely, especially because
Dontos
has pretty much vanished from the show, and especially because she
is now a double agent for Varys and I don't think she's clever enough to stop Littlefinger from figuring that out

Giving Ros a scene where she establishes communication with Shae isn't just a throwaway scene.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think that's extremely likely, especially because
Dontos
has pretty much vanished from the show, and especially because she
is now a double agent for Varys and I don't think she's clever enough to stop Littlefinger from figuring that out

Giving Ros a scene where she establishes communication with Shae isn't just a throwaway scene.

I think the implication is that she takes ASOS
Marillion's
place rather than the character you mentioned. I'd be quite happy with that if it happened.

Fey

Banned
Huh. Speaking of Ros, I always thought (series)
she would fill the role for fake Arya later on, being close to LF and since no other pointless young woman/girl (ie Sansa's friend whose name escapes me) has been introduced yet. I feel like they wouldn't have included Dontos last season if he wasn't going to help Sansa escape ... he still might, though, they still have a whole season and a half to build up his role ...

hoos30

Good point. Also when Tywin was writing his letter (big asos spoilers)-
Anyone thinking he was setting up the Red Wedding??? I paused it to see what he was writing and it did not seem to be anything about it other than writing "ripe for the taking" hmm...

Asos
Of course he was. The book makes this pretty clear.

Liked the episode, obviously a slower start to the season. Can't wait for Episode 2. As someone who hasn't read the books, but had devoured the ASOIAF wiki.

Loved the look of the giant, Tyrion/Tywin and Selmy's entry. Jon finally had a scene in which I liked him. The reveal didn't feel too consequential. Trying to remember who the people trying to kill the mother of dragons are.

LordCanti

Huh. Speaking of Ros, I always thought (series)
she would fill the role for fake Arya later on, being close to LF and since no other pointless young woman/girl (ie Sansa's friend whose name escapes me) has been introduced yet. I feel like they wouldn't have included Dontos last season if he wasn't going to help Sansa escape ... he still might, though, they still have a whole season and a half to build up his role ...

People would know that (series)
she was way too old to be Arya.

Dysun

I really enjoyed the premiere, some of the scenery was really great and the show obviously looks better than ever.

As far as book > tv adaptation
No problem with shuffling Qyburn's intro, it already gives him a feel of his necromancer ways being the only survivor.
Glad they didn't stretch out the Barristan reveal, and Davos/Stannis while condensed still was pretty true to the book.
I'm starting to think Ros will take the fall for Dontos, not Marillion as others have pointed out.

hoos30

Did anyone try watching with the Xbox Smartglass app? I thought it was pretty useful. If someone made a reference to a past event (for example) it would show a card that has a picture and more information about it. The map is pretty cool too.

Did anyone try watching with the Xbox Smartglass app? I thought it was pretty useful. If someone made a reference to a past event (for example) it would show a card that has a picture and more information about it. The map is pretty cool too.
good to know Steve.

jokes jokes :p

Well, they botched Mance's introduction, but for the most part it was a good season premier. I loved the Astapor scenes, the Davos stuff, and Tyrion/Tywin's conversation. Margaery was great, and it was a pleasant surprise to see a giant. I wasn't expecting one to appear this soon.

I wasn't too thrilled about the change of
Sam not sending off the ravens.
I hope that gets rectified in the next couple of weeks. I definitely think the reduced focus helped them keep up the quality. Although I missed seeing Bran, Arya and Brienne, it was nice that we only had a few different storyline we were jumping between.

Ruze789

Such a great start!! Caught it 3 times tonight.

So glad they had longer scenes and left out some of the characters, instead of trying to squeeze every different story arc in there.

And Selmy in it so quick is awesome!

rar

just watched it. the tywin and tyrion interaction was perfect. the mance scene was alright, ciaran hinds is a great actor but i don't know if he fits the role well, at least how i pictured him. stannis and davos come off as idiots in the show, though the actors are really good. more ros is terrible, the actress who plays sansa kind of sucks, and whoever plays shae is completely awful

the ending scene really didn't live up to how i imagined it in the book. no strong belwas hurts a lot too. the scene where he's dismissed from the king's guard is one of my favorite scenes in the show, but his reveal to daenrys was disappointing to me - maybe it was the writing, i don't know

Sanjay

That slave translator woman was well hot, I'm seeing a great future for her in my mind right now. It can still happen guys, believe.

evilhomer

Comcast has the premier up for free right now. You may need an account with them, not sure. I only have internet so pretty stoked I can watch it tonight.

Defunkled

Since this season will presumably cover the first half of ASOS, is it generally agreed upon that it will most likely end with...

ASOS spoilers:
the Red Wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom