• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
uh oh
praying you're just living up to your tag

Whatevz. Same problems as before, a dozen plotlines and the show rushes through all of them. It's entertaining still, but it doesn't rise above that. There's really not much else to say, this is what the show is. I liked the episode overall, don't really have any particular issue with it or with any liberty they took.

Magnus

The explicitly said it at the end though?

And they showed him in the 'previously on' segment.

thats what the "Previously On GoT" Segments at the beginning are supposed to take care of.

All you have to do is pay attention to the Previously On and not be completely dense.

lol

I imagine most people fastforward right through that on their PVRs.

Fair enough though.

Alright, I also just watched the Previously On.. segment again. I missed him. Where was he shown? Is there a chance HBO Canada aired a different one? I seriously just watched it through twice. Selmy/mention of Selmy isn't in it. lol

Like so?
392625_10101028008963748_1008069191_n.jpg

Notice the unavoidable huge head.

Belgian style beers are supposed to have head on them anyways so don't worry about it. Nice glass though.

Sushigod7

Like so?
392625_10101028008963748_1008069191_n.jpg

Notice the unavoidable huge head that I somehow could not avoid.

Glad I'm not the only one, head got out of control on mine as well. Cheers to that goblet though next week I'm drinking from a Stark pint glass the local comic store had. This episode was pretty cool my only compliant is not long enough want to watch the other 9. Time to start the books fuck waiting.

Have they revealed who the hooded restrained figure they've shown in the preview is? Or was that not in the season premiere either?

Man, I really wish I had HBO.

Not in the episode at all. Several characters were left out of the premiere, which I really appreciated. The scenes didn't feel as rushed as previous seasons.

did ciaran hinds sing?

Yeah, "Slow Ride" by Foghat. A bit of a shocking choice, but I thought it worked.

He didn't

Quick hour. Enjoyed it a bunch. Watched it with a couple non-book readers and they really dug it; they even did an "oh crap, it's that old knight from season 1" with the reveal at the end.

And yeah, this thread's about where I expected it to be.

Episode was okay. Nothing exciting happened but it's hard to expect that with a premier. We did get a good idea of what most of the character's goals were.

Dawg

This episode felt like it was only 20 minutes long.

One of the quickest hours of my life.

Tyrion - Tywin scene was my favorite.

Sushigod7

Quick hour. Enjoyed it a bunch. Watched it with a couple non-book readers and they really dug it; they even did an "oh crap, it's that old knight from season 1" with the reveal at the end.

And yeah, this thread's about where I expected it to be.

Why isn't this thread blowing up? Not many fans here?

Magnus

Thought I'd ask in the non book-reader thread, just for kicks.

To non-book readers; what did you think of that final scene and its reveal? I'm curious. I think it lacks a lot of punch for strictly viewers. Or did the character of Barristan Selmy resonate strongly enough with you back in Season 1?

It was pretty meh to me.. Forgot who he was, even.

Didn't do much for me. I remembered his look but didn't really remember him until he started talking about himself.

I was like "oh shit its that old guy."

Not sure why its suppose to be a big deal, this guy was almost retired, he looks pretty old and just another knight, is he suppose to be a game changer at that age?

I remembered him, but the scene wasn't really impactful.

...so, yeah. I feel it really fell flat. He just wasn't important enough before this episode.

I'm also seriously at a loss regarding the 'Previously On' segment. There's no mention or shot of Selmy in it. I'm guessing HBO Canada really does re-cut them or something...

Don't get me wrong though. Loved the ep! Wonderful to have the show back.

The OP states the date and time of the show, but not which time zone. It is an oversight which must be corrected !

To be fair, on nearly every GoT advertisement by HBO, they don't state the time zone either. It's rather annoying.

"9PM!!!!!!!!!" Yeah, but which time zon-"-9PM!!!!"

Why isn't this thread blowing up? Not many fans here?

1. Wasn't that exciting and not much to talk about tbh.

2. Many watched the Walking Dead finale first because that makes since. I'm sure they're watching the recording of GoT now.

Subitai

I felt it was underwhelming.

Parts I enjoyed:

+ Ghost
+ Tyrion vs Tywinn
+ Nipple slicing

- Everything else

The Harrenhal stuff played out differently in the books right? Almost can't blame them for the changes because the story has to be compacted but the Harrenhal stuff had some of my favorite moments from the book.
Didn't like the giant or blisters on Davos?

Lkr

...so, yeah. I feel it really fell flat. He just wasn't important enough before this episode.

not surprising at all. shit they could have just had him there the whole time to confuse the non book readers. "shit is that old guy someone else?!"

Subitai

I'm also seriously at a loss regarding the 'Previously On' segment. There's no mention or shot of Selmy in it. I'm guessing HBO Canada really does re-cut them or something...

not surprising at all. shit they could have just had him there the whole time to confuse the non book readers. "shit is that old guy someone else?!"
They forgot the conversation he had w/ Ned in season 1. :/

LordCanti

They must; it was in the US "Previously On" segment.

Van Owen

Banned
The Selmy reveal was better in the books. Sorta wish they would have game him longer hair and beard and stretched it out.

Anyway, very much a setup episode for what should be one of the more exciting seasons.

Magnus

They forgot the conversation he had w/ Ned in season 1. :/

I've read the books and watched Season 1 about four times. I've forgotten the conversation you're referencing. lol

The only scenes I remember with Selmy that really resonated were his departure, and the scene with Robert and Jaime, telling war stories.

They must; it was in the US "Previously On" segment.

I believe you guys! Haha. What did they show, incidentally? Footage from Season 1?

My friends up here in the actual North (Canada) are already messaging me asking me what his significance is and who he was and if we'd seen him before.

----

ASOS
Also, does this mean Fat Belwas is out? :(

Sushigod7

It's like this after the east coast feed. It usually pick up after the encore presentation, west coast feed, and all the piraters getting their hands on it within the next 24 hours or so.

ahhh I see, well I'm buzzing from this Iron Throne and Whiskey I had before so I'm ready to chat it up. My wife is just starring at me like I'm crazy because I was so excited for this episode.

Davey Cakes

I'm excited for more GoT. Got into this show last year and finished both seasons within a month.

I'll watch the premiere tomorrow.

Mordeccai

I watched with three non book readers(one has never seen the show before) and one reader and they all loved it. Two that had seen it remembered Barristan and thought it was badass that he was with Dany now. So you can't say one way or another if it fell flat... as a book reader I feel like they handled it well enough. Its a difficult scene to adapt for the show.

aceface

That guy calling Dany a whore had too much goddamn swag.

That scene was awesome, almost exactly from the book although I wonder (asos spoilers)
if and when they will reveal that she could understand what he was saying

I was very impressed with this episode.

Tyrion vs. Tywin= A+++ scene one of the best in the series.
Unsullied scene= A+ scene
Margery stuff= A+ scenes loved Joffreys reactions at someone showing love and kindness or maybe I just liked this stuff cause Margery is damn hot.

The rest of the stuff was good enough but the above were great adaptations of classic book moments.

jett

D-Member
The Selmy reveal was better in the books. Sorta wish they would have game him longer hair and beard and stretched it out.

Anyway, very much a setup episode for what should be one of the more exciting seasons.

Of course it was better. They talk about Selmy much more in the books and is regarded in an almost semi-legendary manner. The only time his name is brought up in S2 is when Jaime has his little talk with his cousin. Of course TV watchers aren't going to care who he is, even if they remember him. There was just no way this was ever going to be the awesome surprise it is in the book.

The name of the episode is dumb, btw. Why even name it that.

Subitai

I've read the books and watched Season 1 about four times. I've forgotten the conversation you're referencing. lol

The only scenes I remember with Selmy that really resonated were his departure, and the scene with Robert and Jaime, telling war stories.

I believe you guys! Haha. What did they show, incidentally? Footage from Season 1?

My friends up here in the actual North (Canada) are already messaging me asking me what his significance is and who he was and if we'd seen him before.
Ned and Selmy. Enjoy! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkPMA7R9hek

Lkr

That scene was awesome, almost exactly from the book although I wonder (asos spoilers)
if and when they will reveal that she could understand what he was saying

I was very impressed with this episode.

Tyrion vs. Tywin= A+++ scene one of the best in the series.
Unsullied scene= A+ scene
Margery stuff= A+ scenes loved Joffreys reactions at someone showing love and kindness or maybe I just liked this stuff cause Margery is damn hot.

The rest of the stuff was good enough but the above were great adaptations of classic book moments.

they'll probably have her talk to him when asos
she unleashes her dragons on his ass

LordCanti

ASOS
Also, does this mean Fat Belwas is out? :(

They showed him being shitcanned by Joffrey.

ASOS
I think it may mean that. That's going to change some later scenes for sure if they do leave him out

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It absolutely did IMO. Good luck to the average viewer (non-reader) remembering who Selmy even was.

They included the scene where Joffrey stripped him of his title in the intro for a reason.

::edit::
Guess I was beaten to this while I read the thread and delayed posting.

Subitai

can't wait XD

I haven't mentioned it, I agree the conversation with/through the slave was very well done, even if they hadn't done the nipple cut.

aceface

Good point. Also when Tywin was writing his letter (big asos spoilers)-
Anyone thinking he was setting up the Red Wedding??? I paused it to see what he was writing and it did not seem to be anything about it other than writing "ripe for the taking" hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom