• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missandei could easily stand in for "that" scene now. You know Dave and Dan can't help themselves, lol.

Eh, maybe it's not obvious (slight asos spoiler)
HOT GIRL ON GIRL ACTION

sr68ewp3ky5d.gif

I also forgot how hot Natalie Dormer is. Damn son.

xenist

Some Grade A direction this episode. Both in the way it looked and at the the scale of the scenes.

And Dany gets two badass knights in addition to everything else? Is everyone else even trying?

#teamtargaryen

I like that we're getting a bit more of Margaery's perspective in the show.

That's a considerable complaint I have about the books - the lack of POV from House Tyrell.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I like that we're getting a bit more of Margaery's perspective in the show.

That's a considerable complaint I have about the books - the lack of POV from House Tyrell.
What?! That's one of the few remaining points of restraint Martin has actually held onto as the series has progressed. Leaving the motivations of those players a mystery is *smart*.

Atsumi

Missandei could easily stand in for "that" scene now. You know Dave and Dan can't help themselves, lol.

Eh, maybe it's not obvious (slight asos spoiler)
HOT GIRL ON GIRL ACTION

I was hoping we were cleared for "that" scene. Totes Awk.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
[S2]
And I believe he deliberately started speaking of Catelyn to get a reaction.

Why are we using spoilers for material that aired a year ago?

I think after Littlefinger's scene last night it's clear he did recognize Arya in Harrenhal and was alluding to that fact with Sansa.

Azrael

I'm curious about the girl who released the bug. In the book it was the Sorrowful Men, but they seem to be going in a different direction here. Do you think she is connected to the warlocks?

Mordeccai

That little girl was definitely with the warlocks, the purple/blue stuff that showed in her mouth was a dead give away for that. Its kind of nice that they're tying that back in, but I hope they don't go too overboard with it.

Initially, before I saw the purple I thought the girl could have been a [Minor ASOS spoilers I guess?]
Faceless Man
, which I got REALLY hyped over because I'd love to see them utilized in this show.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Initially, before I saw the purple I thought the girl could have been a [Minor ASOS spoilers I guess?]
Faceless Man
, which I got REALLY hyped over because I'd love to see them utilized in this show.

SERIES
They will have the Faceless Men. They've already introduced the concept with Jaqen and it is a major focus of Arya's story going forward, and it's clear they have a larger plan that is very significant in how the story ends up. It would be impossible to cut the Faceless Men without making profound changes to the series as a whole.

What?! That's one of the few remaining points of restraint Martin has actually held onto as the series has progressed. Leaving the motivations of those players a mystery is *smart*.

Perhaps Martin is merely showing restraint, but I find House Tyrell as a whole woefully underdeveloped in the books.

I simply think it would be useful to have a POV from someone within the Tyrells, (series)
be it a handmaiden of Margaery's or an actual family member. Willas Tyrell would be an interesting one.

Eidan

I thought the episode was pretty good. I felt that the show spent an adequate amount of time on all of the storylines highlighted, which was a plus. All of the Tyrion scenes were great, with the Tywin scene being the obvious highlight of the episode. As powerful as the scene was in the book, it was even more potent seeing Dance and Dinklage carry it out. Seeing these two continue to interact will be a joy.

The one thing that I was really struck by was just how good the show looked. Compare the lighting, ambiance, and set design of the Tywin/Tyrion scene to any scene inside of Ned's chambers back in season 1. The improvement is incredible. Same with the dinner scene between the Tyrells, Joffrey, and Cersei. This show just looks beautiful now.

And Missandei has to be the greatest improvement over the books yet. Goddamn.

Jonm1010

Banned
there have been a few great exposition shots for some locations in this episode. I really love that and I hope they manage to keep them for the rest of the season. its something that really shows the scope of the story and there were too few of them in the past seasons, especially the first one.

I just love bronn, I hope they change everything so he never leaves the show, that would be very welcome. I am very glad they speed up everything with the dany storyline, her story just dragged on terribly in the books after drogos death. only good can come from this, and the scene with the unsullied was really good, looking foward to more like this.

and how great is charles dance? that man is incredible, the scene with tyrion reminded me how grateful I was for his scenes in harrenhal in season 2 (williams was fantastic, too, there) I really hope they make him just as present in this season.
spoiler tags you fucking cunt!

Came in here strictly looking for cornballers review links and by mere skimming i now got spoiled in a thread that has spent THREE YEARS explaining how to deal with spoilers.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Charles Dance continues to kill it as Tywin Lannister. The scene with Tywin & Tyrion was awesome. Straight up ether. The eventual payoff will be excellent.

The FX has really improved this season. The giant, direwolves, and dragons looked pretty good. The visuals for this show blow everything else on television out of this world. The attention to detail is something.

The rest of the episode didn't do a lot for me though. The Barristan the Bold reveal lacked the impact from the book. The assassination attempt was lame. And no strong Belwas :/

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The one thing that I was really struck by was just how good the show looked. Compare the lighting, ambiance, and set design of the Tywin/Tyrion scene to any scene inside of Ned's chambers back in season 1. The improvement is incredible. Same with the dinner scene between the Tyrells, Joffrey, and Cersei. This show just looks beautiful now.

Yes, this struck me as well. This was a magnificent looking episode. That Tyrion screencap above is just gorgeous, as is most of the Dany stuff. Giant looked pretty damn convincing as well. I was surprised at how well he meshed into the crowd, didn't feel out of place at all. Some very impressive work here.

I liked the episode, aside from the Barristan reveal. The entire mystery angle of this was easier in the books though, so I understand the path they chose. The books constantly remind you why he's such a big deal, whereas the show only briefly touches upon that, in the first season no less. The only way this is going to have some impact on show only people, is when they've recently marathoned the 2 seasons, so the memory of him is still pretty fresh.

The Tywin/Tyrion scene was killer. As was most of the Dany material. Guy playing Kraznys was terrific, great scenes. Stannis looked different... for the better actually. When he saw Davos was back, and he didn't even flinch? Coming pretty close to how I picture him.
It's good that they left some characters out, allows for more breathing room.

Eidan

I also liked Cersei's line about hearing that Tyrion had lost half his nose. It came right when someone at my viewing party was complaining about how much worse the wound was in the books. The line got a good laugh out of everyone.

Did anyone else catch any hints that Daenarys understood what the Ghiscari was saying? I'm pretty sure I remember from the book that the language is close enough to Valyrian that she understood a good portion of what he said.

Eidan

Did anyone else catch any hints that Daenarys understood what the Ghiscari was saying? I'm pretty sure I remember from the book that the language is close enough to Valyrian that she understood a good portion of what he said.

ASOS
She seemed to visibly understand that she was being insulted several times during the conversation. I think the fact that she understands what he's saying is going to be revealed to television audiences later though.

I liked the Dany scenes in this episode, but I agree with your post. They could have let the mystery carry over one episode at least.

Have a dude in a hood loping around for more than 90 seconds would have been insufferably lame.

This is one of many things that will never work in the show.

Thread needs more Tormund.

Iksenpets

Banned

ASoS
In the book we know all along since we're in her head, but I don't think she actually acknowledges that she understands publicly until she responds to something he says in Valyrian right before dracarys.

Felt like the premiere had somewhat weird direction/line delivery in certain parts. The way Mormont delivered the last few lines of the cold open seemed really flat and almost emotionless. Then some of Tormund's lines seemed a little off as well.

Visually the show looks better than ever though. That shot of Dany on the boat looking out at Astapor looked unreal.

So other than the smoldering Winterfell and the addition of Astapor (I loved seeing the harpy statue rise up), did anyone else notice any additional changes to the opening titles?

I didn't notice any changes to the music.

Yeah, there cinematography, effects, and artwork on display last night is easily some of the best I've ever seen on tv. If the rest of the season looks that good, wow...

Azrael

I thought the episode was pretty good. I felt that the show spent an adequate amount of time on all of the storylines highlighted, which was a plus. All of the Tyrion scenes were great, with the Tywin scene being the obvious highlight of the episode. As powerful as the scene was in the book, it was even more potent seeing Dance and Dinklage carry it out. Seeing these two continue to interact will be a joy.

And Missandei has to be the greatest improvement over the books yet. Goddamn.

I thought, despite my disappointments with the second season, it looked great, which I didn't fully appreciate until repeat viewings. The first season was better overall because it stuck very closely to the book and it had Sean Bean to anchor the series around a central protagonist, but the cinematography, sets, costumes, and effects all left a lot to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom