• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
(AGOT - ASOS)
-On the show, Sam just randomly happens upon the buried cache of dragonglass weapons. In the book, it's Ghost (Jons wolf) who finds the cache and leads Jon to it.

-On the show we haven't seen or heard anything about Arya's wolf since she ran away. In the book, we sporadically hear people talking about a pack of wolves forming in the riverlands led by a supersized wolf from hell that has been going around fucking people up. When Arya escapes from Harrenhal, she spends a while riding away trying to find Riverrun, and the whole time she's worried that they're going too slow and they'll eventually be captured and taken back to Harrenhal. Then at one point, she sees a pack of wolves led by a much larger wolf and for some reason she howls at it, and it howls back. That night she has a dream like one of Bran's, in which the giant wolf and her pack completely annihilate a scouting party that was looking for Arya

totally forgot about all of that... you can kind of see why they took those parts out, though.

exYle

When they find the direwolf mother dead in the snow with the pups around her, they pull a stag antler out of its neck. Stag = Baratheon, Wolf = Stark

A lot of the stuff regarding the wolves hasn't made it into the show yet. I don't know what will end up coming up in future seasons, but there are at least a few awesome things that I wish had been included on the show

(AGOT - ASOS)
-On the show, Sam just randomly happens upon the buried cache of dragonglass weapons. In the book, it's Ghost (Jons wolf) who finds the cache and leads Jon to it.

-On the show we haven't seen or heard anything about Arya's wolf since she ran away. In the book, we sporadically hear people talking about a pack of wolves forming in the riverlands led by a supersized wolf from hell that has been going around fucking people up. When Arya escapes from Harrenhal, she spends a while riding away trying to find Riverrun, and the whole time she's worried that they're going too slow and they'll eventually be captured and taken back to Harrenhal. Then at one point, she sees a pack of wolves led by a much larger wolf and for some reason she howls at it, and it howls back. That night she has a dream like one of Bran's, in which the giant wolf and her pack completely annihilate a scouting party that was looking for Arya

There's a lot more going on with the wolves in the books than in the show. Hopefully some of this stuff will end up surfacing in later seasons though.

The cost of CG.

The cost of CG.

Yeah, I understand why they can't include shit like that. But i'd also be satisfied with Arya overhearing a couple of lines of dialogue about how people in the riverlands are telling stories about
a pack of wolves led by a direwolf, or a scene at Harrenhal with Roose Bolton talking about how a group went out looking for whoever killed a bunch of guards and escaped, and how they later found them torn to shreds

Whenever I read about that stuff in the book I got chills. I don't even need to see it, I just want them to mention it at least once.

Massa

Man, this thread got so full of black bars all of a sudden. Not looking at any of them. Gonna watch it like a good little boy and see it for myself.

You should mostly avoid this thread if you're not a book header, sometimes people slip up with the black bars. Check the *NO BOOK SPOILERS* thread instead. ;)

Iksenpets

Banned
Its kind of crazy that the show is practically already on ADwD material for some characters. [ADwD/Series]
Assuming Bran and company get to the Nightfort and pass through the Black Gate in episode 10, Bran only has 3 chapters of book material after that. Granted, they could add in more material and lengthen Bran's journey with backstory and exposition like they kind of did this year. Plus meeting Coldhands, if they don't cut him. Still, its kind of crazy to think that the show is REALLY close to outpacing the books.

Feast/Dance
Yeah, season four looks like it could be bringing several characters forward to their Feast/Dance plot. Bran beyond the Wall, though a lot of that may actually be revisiting some of the character development for the Reeds from Clash and Storm that the show has skipped over.

The Greyjoy kingsmoot plot will probably be brought forward, since it has to immediately follow Balon's death.

And then the second half of Storm pretty much drops Bolton and any other Northern plot entirely, which wouldn't work in the show since it would make it feel like Bolton took a full year getting North again. I imagine we'll see him and Ramsay and Theon crossing Moat Cailin and returning to Winterfell. And sending Rickon to the Umbers seems designed to set up some of the Northern Conspiracy plot, as some Northerners become aware of Rickon and start making moves to restore him to Winterfell.

And if Dany is going to have all of season 4 to capture Meereen, it would make sense to involve some of the Meereenese characters from Dance in whatever plotline they invent to stretch that out. That would also make it a bit less jarring than the books, where they all suddenly show up in her first Dance chapter and you have to absorb all of their characters and their unpronounceable and ridiculously similar names all at once.

The Wall and Kings Landing are the only plotlines that seem like they have a whole season's worth of ASOS material left.

But really the more of that they can do the better, since it will free up more space in seasons five and six for converting Feast and Dance.

Also, quick thought on the leaked images Feast/leak
What if they have Brienne go off in season 4 to find Arya, with Jaime's promises to keep Sansa safe until she returns, rather than have her leave in season 5 to find Sansa. That would at least avoid the awkwardness of having her spend a full season in Kings Landing ignoring her promise to Cat altogether. I really thought they would set their plot up for season 3 to end on the bear pit rescue. Shifting it forward like this to climax on Jaime's return to King's Landing is going to require some reworking.

Snake

Yeah, I understand why they can't include shit like that. But i'd also be satisfied with Arya overhearing a couple of lines of dialogue about how people in the riverlands are telling stories about
a pack of wolves led by a direwolf, or a scene at Harrenhal with Roose Bolton talking about how a group went out looking for whoever killed a bunch of guards and escaped, and how they later found them torn to shreds

Whenever I read about that stuff in the book I got chills. I don't even need to see it, I just want them to mention it at least once.

[Series]
Yeah, I am pretty shocked that there's been pretty much zero Nymeria/direwolf content shown/discussed in the Riverlands. Of all the missing direwolf stuff that seems like it would be the easiest to do and yet has the least mentions.

My hope is that they were saving it up so they could shoot their wad on having Nymeria drag Catelyn from the Trident.

[Series]
Yeah, I am pretty shocked that there's been pretty much zero Nymeria/direwolf content shown/discussed in the Riverlands. Of all the missing direwolf stuff that seems like it would be the easiest to do and yet has the least mentions.

My hope is that they were saving it up so they could shoot their wad and have Nymeria drag Catelyn from the Trident.

If that happens i'll be satisfied. That just gave me chills reading that actually. It's probably the single most interesting part of the story to me, even though it's limited to only a few brief mentions here and there

Que? I thought all the Stark kids worshipped the old gods and the new. Or was that just one line given to Arya?

I figured they were free to choose which one they preferred, but Sansa's the only one I remember showing an interest in the Seven. Seems weird for the King in the North to not get married in the Northern style even if there wasn't a heart tree around, considering one of the prime reasons he became a king in the first place was cultural differences between the North and the South and weddings are such important political events.

Massa

Feast/Dance
But really the more of that they can do the better, since it will free up more space in seasons five and six for converting Feast and Dance.

series
I don't think they'll use two and a half seasons for Feast and Dance. Working some of them into season 4 means they can comfortably finish them in season 5. They may even pull from TWOW in season 5 already, using in episode 509 one of the battles that got pushed to TWOW.

My guess is that their plan is to do season 6 for TWOW and season 7 for the finale, possibly stretching these two books to an eighth season.

We started hearing this year about the 7 seasons plan, after D&D and Cogman met with GRRM to discuss the unreleased books in length.

I figured they were free to choose which one they preferred, but Sansa's the only one I remember showing an interest in the Seven. Seems weird for the King in the North to not get married in the Northern style even if there wasn't a heart tree around, considering one of the prime reasons he became a king in the first place was cultural differences between the North and the South and weddings are such important political events.

Their explanation for that (off-screen, in an interview) is that they used whatever was available at that location. Since they slept together I guess Robb wanted to marry her as soon as possible.

Iksenpets

Banned
[Series]

My hope is that they were saving it up so they could shoot their wad and have Nymeria drag Catelyn from the Trident.

series
If they want to stretch her time with The Hound through season four, including some Nymeria scenes then could help pad that out, and would be a good way of continuing her slide into violence. Or they could just be cutting it entirely to make Bran's warging more special, instead of having it be a family trait. They've yet to allude to it with Jon or Arya, and have dropped most of the stuff about Rickon and Shaggydog being linked in madness.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You should mostly avoid this thread if you're not a book header, sometimes people slip up with the black bars. Check the *NO BOOK SPOILERS* thread instead. ;)
My mistake. It seems I wandered into the wrong thread. I should unsubscribe from this one to prevent any mistakes.

Its kind of crazy that the show is practically already on ADwD material for some characters. [ADwD/Series]
Assuming Bran and company get to the Nightfort and pass through the Black Gate in episode 10, Bran only has 3 chapters of book material after that. Granted, they could add in more material and lengthen Bran's journey with backstory and exposition like they kind of did this year. Plus meeting Coldhands, if they don't cut him. Still, its kind of crazy to think that the show is REALLY close to outpacing the books.

It's the right decision though, that arc in particular is slow paced in the show as it is, it would be absurd if it strictly followed the same timeline as the rest of the arcs.

Series
Hopefully even if they don't do Coldhands this season, they still intro him to Bran and Co early next year and then season 4 arc goes to at least the when they get attacked/intro Bloodraven.

General Series
The more I think about it and hearing that the producers of the show don't want to overstay the welcome the more I like the idea of probably being done with pretty much all content through book 5 by the end of season 5.

Poona

There's a lot more going on with the wolves in the books than in the show. Hopefully some of this stuff will end up surfacing in later seasons though.

Also with the book with regards to the Red Wedding
wasn't Catelyn telling Rob to go to Grey Wind?
I don't have the book on me, so I can't recall exactly but I do remember it that way. Then when Rob was dying in the book i believe his last words
were to Grey Wind, and not his mother
.Which led quite a few to believe that when Rob died
he had entered into Grey Wind
. Yet the show brushed all that to one side as if it had no meaning. I thought things like that were pretty big to leave out.

I do wish the wolves got more attention in the show. Reading the books basically makes me believe at times there is something truly ancient and almost magical about them, yet they don't seem to be given half as much significance in the show.

I don't have the book on me, so I can't recall exactly but I do remember it that way. Then when Rob was dying in the book i believe his last words
. Yet the show brushed all that to one side as if it had no meaning. I thought things like that were pretty big to leave out.

I do wish the wolves got more attention in the show. Reading the books basically makes me believe at times there is something truly ancient and almost magical about them, yet they don't seem to be given half as much significance in the show.

Series
Robb brings up Grey Wind and then Cat tells him to go to Grey Wind. She tells him to get up and walk out of there, he says "Mother, Grey Wind...", and she replies "Go to him. Now. Robb, walk out of here."

I believe he entered Grey Wind personally, the books seem to point to all the Stark kids being wargs, regardless of if they were aware of it or not, and ADWD seems to point to wargs entering the animal they have a bond with when they die.

The lack of the wolves and they lack of all the Stark's being wargs like the book is a disappointment, but also one that is understandable and honestly I pretty much expected it.

Yeah, I really wish they had kept (ASOS)
Robb's last words the same
. And I still have no idea what they're doing with Ghost at this point. Trying to remember, but didn't Sam see him briefly halfway through the season? And then he just kind of walked away and we haven't seen him after that? He needs to show up again and do something

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

They're gonna have them wandering around lost beyond the wall, probably meet some wildling characters or Rast and Coldhands will save em. Bet

Yeah, I really wish they had kept (ASOS)
Robb's last words the same
. And I still have no idea what they're doing with Ghost at this point. Trying to remember, but didn't Sam see him briefly halfway through the season? And then he just kind of walked away and we haven't seen him after that? He needs to show up again and do something

Last we saw Ghost was at Craster's Keep this season.

ASOS
I assume we won't see him until reunion with Jon late in ASOS.

cashman

Banned
from the no book spoiler thread:

Well Arya's wolf Nymeria hasn't been seen since the first season I think so it feels like they might as well have killed her off lol.

sigh...

Last we saw Ghost was at Craster's Keep this season.

ASOS
I assume we won't see him until reunion with Jon late in ASOS.

I expect you're right. (ASOS)
The problem is that the reunion was so awesome in the book because Jon had to tell Ghost that they'd have to split up and that Ghost would have to make it over the wall to Castle Black by himself, not knowing if he understood or whether he'd ever see him again. Then when Ghost somehow makes it back and meets up with Jon, it's a great moment where he finally decides to try to become Lord Commander.

But on the show Ghost just basically ditches Jon and goes back to the Fist. Kind of feels like it'd be more of a "damn dude where the fuck have you been this whole time" rather than a joyous reunion

thanks for posting!

This picture:

Photo_GRRM_Actors01.png

They're all adorable lol.

ramyeon

from the no book spoiler thread:

sigh...
Haha to be fair I've read up to and including ASOS but the way they've handled Nymeria in the show is really poor and I'm left wondering if they're actually going to do anything with the dire wolves in the storyline in the TV series.

Casting news says there won't be major AFfC/ADwD plots next season. It seems like every day people post it yet provide no proof.

As far as I'm aware casting is happening right now, but with only a few characters stated as being cast, we're far from confirming that characters are OUT for season 4.

devilhawk

As far as I'm aware casting is happening right now, but with only a few characters stated as being cast, we're far from confirming that characters are OUT for season 4.
Even the rumors sites are saying Series
Tyrell, Red Viper, and Magnar. If Euron and Victarion or Arianne or Quentyn
were being cast - we would know.

Until someone can provide some type of info otherwise, season 4 will be ASoS.

The first three are confirmed because George directly said they were casting those three right now at something last week. That's the only news I've read about casting so far, I don't think that denies any characters for next season.

Series
Just based on the preview for this week's episode, I don't see how the AFFC Ironborn arc isn't in next season.

MNC

Damn, thats what i get for not reading for half a year. I completely forgot the way the martell family is structured in AFFC. Time to read a family tree.

Also, i read in the back the way grrm planned affc and adwd, which is, 'instead of telling half the story for all characters, its the full story for half the characters'. Makes reading affc so much more bearable knowing adwd will fill in gaps.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man this is heart breaking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq9LeaJQQ5g (forward to 7:40)

Yeah this may be the best (and saddest) one yet. There's a whole bunch of new ones I haven't seen as well, this 'RW reaction vid' thing is spreading quickly.

I had some hope that if the series got popular enough, we'd get some buzz over RW, but I'd never thought it'd be like this. It's pretty much the biggest show on tv right now, crazy. Always expected GoT to be a small hit that could end its run with some luck, but that escalated quickly.

LordCanti

The small victory here is that these women (and many more like them) went two plus years without hearing about the RW. If someone had spoiled them, they couldn't be having those emotions now.

I think things get more difficult from here. This show is too big now; I don't know how you'd avoid spoilers.

The small victory here is that these women (and many more like them) went two plus years without hearing about the RW. If someone had spoiled them, they couldn't be having those emotions now.

I think things get more difficult from here. This show is too big now; I don't know how you'd avoid spoilers.

It feels super weird to me to have this shit out in the open like this now. Like GRRM on Conan talking about the massive face-melting episode and articles with RED WEDDING in the headline and stuff. I don't know why, it just feels weird. Like after we've all been intentionally trying to not spoil anything for people this whole time, literally for years, now it's completely out in the open. People who don't even watch the show at all are aware of this because of stuff they've seen on facebook/twitter/etc.

It just feels really strange to see this event blow up like this. Like, we can just talk about the red wedding in here now and we don't have to spoiler it. That's weird to me.

Absence of confirmation is not confirmation of absence. We've only heard about those characters because GRRM explicitly talked about them.

I don't see how they can avoid at least doing [AFFC]
the Kingsmoot
next season.

Leak
Robbwind looks so, so bad. That has ruined my mental image of that scene, I was expecting something disturbing and haunting not a silly furry costume from an anime convention. If that's the best they could do they should have left it out all together.

LordCanti

Leak
Robbwind looks so, so bad. That has ruined my mental image of that scene, I was expecting something disturbing and haunting not a silly furry costume from an anime convention. If that's the best they could do they should have left it out all together.

(Next Episode)
Is there a picture out? I'd like to see it, though obviously I'll see it tonight one way or the other. I hope it's not too comical.

Edit:
If you mean the image where it's on a horse and all tied up, nooooo way is that real. They can't have made it look that ridiculous.

(Next Episode)
Is there a picture out? I'd like to see it, though obviously I'll see it tonight one way or the other. I hope it's not too comical.

Edit:
If you mean the image where it's on a horse and all tied up, nooooo way is that real. They can't have made it look that ridiculous.

Leak
Unfortunately, it is real. It really looks silly, like they went to a store and bought a cheap werewolf costume.

Sotha Sil

So, [Series]
Dany doesn't have anything interesting to do until her escape from Mereen, right? I can't remember anything between Yunkai and her DWD arc, but I may be wrong. Really wonder how they'll handle her in S4.

LordCanti

So, [Series]
Dany doesn't have anything interesting to do until her escape from Mereen, right? I can't remember anything between Yunkai and her DWD arc, but I may be wrong. Really wonder how they'll handle her in S4.

(Series)
If the next book is out by then, they can make Meereen very very brief and get on to whatever is next for her. If it's not...I don't know what they'd do.

So, [Series]

[Series]
The battle at Meereen could be expanded and made interesting, with the ships battering down the doors, the infiltration through the sewers, Dany learning of Jorah's betrayal and banishing him... There's probably half a season of decent content there. Then it's down into the pits of the Meereen Knot, yes. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom