• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

Q9aOryx.gif
Can you do it?

Dysun

ASOS
the Sansa going to the Vsle thing is not that big of a leap. The whole Ramsay Bolton thing "Robb better watch his back" may have been. Then again, maybe not. We know Bolton's bastard was outside Winterfell when Theon's guys left, it's not impossible to surmise that the Bolton's have him, and since they lied about Theon's status in episode 2 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), it's not too hard to think that they're up to something. It's all there. Not sure I would have made the connections if I hadn't read the books, but it's possible someone out there has.

I'm not going to speak to the other stuff, but it's plausible for someone to piece together that [ASOS/AFFC/ADWD]
house Bolton has Theon in that episode. The show was flashing around the sigil during scenes outside of Theon's story, and that sigil basically gives it away. Not to mention there's plenty for Theon to pick up on with that as well.
I asked this previously in the thread when questioning why the character seemed so unsure who his captors were:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53693991&postcount=2534
He's disingenuous, he has posts in the book thread and then he writes stuff like this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=54012579&highlight=#post54012579
Book thread link
Report this guy

-griffy-

Banned
ASOS:
The Sansa/Vale thing is actually fairly obvious. We see Littlefinger tell Sansa that he can possibly get her out of the city if a mission that will take him far away comes to pass. Then in this episode we learn that Littlefinger will be going to the Vale. So it follows that this is the mission Littlefinger was referring to and he will take her with him.

Kadayi

Banned
I don't think G.R.R.M. is foolish enough to toy with his life by giving the showrunners the true ending of the books. The readers will fucking riot.

How are they toying with his life exactly? The success of the TV show has sent his book sales skyrocketing. Far more people are reading then now than ever before. He's also an executive producer on the show so has a vested interest in its success. This isn't a case of Alan Moore and the Watchmen movie, Martins fully behind this venture.

First thing the suits at HBO probably wanted to know when B&W pitched the show (given the book series was ongoing) was whether there was an established ending that the series would work towards because the thing they least want to end up doing is potentially pouring hundreds of millions into the production of a series that has no clear way of being wrapped up. I doubt anyone at HBO wants to pull another Deadwood.

Pretty certain I'll have some manner of mental breakdown if the TV show pulls ahead of the books.

Not like this, George. Not like this...

He has a choice. He can either continue saying yes to multiple side projects, editing anthologies, attending cons...or he can settle down and focus on the books. I realize he has contractual obligations with some things, and thus has to attend some cons and edit stuff. But he has also piled new stuff on his place over the last few years that just baffles me.

I honestly believe TWOW will be out either late next year or in 2015, which would be great. If (unlikely) it fell into 2016 than I'd lose hope.

I won't watch the show if it overlaps the books.

He has a choice. He can either continue saying yes to multiple side projects, editing anthologies, attending cons...or he can settle down and focus on the books. I realize he has contractual obligations with some things, and thus has to attend some cons and edit stuff. But he has also piled new stuff on his place over the last few years that just baffles me.

I honestly believe TWOW will be out either late next year or in 2015, which would be great. If (unlikely) it fell into 2016 than I'd lose hope.

I won't like it, but I will watch the show if it catches up with the books. Someone out there somewhere will spoil things for me, and I don't want to take that chance.

Kadayi

Banned
Well the show has to get through the AFFC/ADWD years first. We'll see if it can survive that.

That stuff will get merged and boiled down considerably. AFFC/ADWD
there's way too many characters in there truth, with really not a lot happening a lot of the time. People talk about it taking up 3 seasons, but I figure they'll chop it down to two. I could quite easily see them jettisoning a lot of the Dorne/Iron islander stuff and simply swapping in existing characters to fill key certain roles. Hardcore book fans will be flipping tables, but personally I'm all for it. AFFC/ADWD were needlessly overpopulated, and I can't help but feel GRRM really needed someone to say that to his face (in the same way someone needs to tell Tarantino to tighten up his more recent films).

I won't like it, but I will watch the show if it catches up with the books. Someone out there somewhere will spoil things for me, and I don't want to take that chance.

I'm pretty good at avoiding spoilers, I'll be fine. Folks on another forum tried to send Harry Potter spoilers to my house when Deathly Hallows leaked, and I survived.

I'm pretty good at avoiding spoilers, I'll be fine. Folks on another forum tried to send Harry Potter spoilers to my house when Deathly Hallows leaked, and I survived.

Wow, that's insane.

That stuff will get merged and boiled down considerably. AFFC/ADWD
there's way too many characters in there truth, with really not a lot happening a lot of the time. People talk about it taking up 3 seasons, but I figure they'll chop it down to two. I could quite easily see them jettisoning a lot of the Dorne/Iron islander stuff and simply swapping in existing characters to fill key certain roles. Hardcore book fans will be flipping tables, but personally I'm all for it. AFFC/ADWD were needlessly overpopulated, and I can't help but feel GRRM really needed someone to say that to his face (in the same way someone needs to tell Tarantino to tighten up his more recent films).

AFFC/ADWD do need to be gutted. I'm most curious to see how they do it and if they can make it work.

Calling out the guy is what would spoil it for people...

I did it in a way that didn't validate his theories (as I also don't want to be a jerk who confirms a spoiler!), just by asking him how he came up with the idea. He got a bit defensive and said it all made sense if you think about it.

However, I didn't see him talk earlier about his theories on where Theon is, who the mystery man helping him is, etc, which apparently he was doing. Being spot on 2 weeks in a row with conclusions that are not easy to reach seems a bit suspicious. But who knows, he could just be clever!

I don't think G.R.R.M. is foolish enough to toy with his life by giving the showrunners the true ending of the books. The readers will fucking riot.

Hmm, I never thought about that, that he could make different endings for both!

EDIT:

He's disingenuous, he has posts in the book thread and then he writes stuff like this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=54012579&highlight=#post54012579
Book thread link
Report this guy

Nevermind, I guess he definitely has read the books and is leaking information.

Eidan

I agree. If the show overlaps Martin, he has only himself to blame.

desh

So, in this last episode Jojen tells Bran that he (Bran) is the three-eyed Raven.
In [ADWD]
The three-eyed raven is revealed to be The Last Greenseer who was once known as Lord Brynden. I wonder where the show is going with this.

Dysun

I did it in a way that didn't validate his theories (as I also don't want to be a jerk who confirms a spoiler!), just by asking him how he came up with the idea. He got a bit defensive and said it all made sense if you think about it.

However, I didn't see him talk earlier about his theories on where Theon is, who the mystery man helping him is, etc, which apparently he was doing. Being spot on 2 weeks in a row with conclusions that are not easy to reach seems a bit suspicious. But who knows, he could just be clever!

He's not being clever he's lying, check out my post earlier

jett

D-Member
So, in this last episode Jojen tells Bran that he (Bran) is the three-eyed Raven.
In [ADWD]
The three-eyed raven is revealed to be The Last Greenseer who was once known as Lord Brynden. I wonder where the show is going with this.

Didn't Jojen say the same thing in the book?

Eidan

Bah. I never spoiled anything for any TV viewer and I've always been careful. Karma indeed. That'll teach me to not be an asshole...

I'm not saying you spoiled anything for anyone. But it's undeniable that there's a healthy number of book readers who seem to enjoy spoiling the highlights of the series. The idea of the shoe being on the other foot is...

CrunchyB

He's disingenuous, he has posts in the book thread...

So he's not only faking this brilliant insight, but he's dumb for posting in the book reader thread as well.

That's really pathetic. I thought for sure people were being paranoid about this.

I just don't get the point. Obviously an asshole will be an asshole, but there are others who are just dumb and don't pay attention to what they say/post. If you're a true fan you'd want other people to go into the experience fresh, like you did.

My parents are watching S1 right now and I haven't said much of anything to them, outside of clarifying why Jon Snow's name is Jon Snow. After which my mom asked "so if he was born in Detroit his name would be Jon Detroit?" I gave up shortly afterwards.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Last Sunday was the first time I even looked at the no book spoilers thread, just to see how Jamie's hand was taken. I probably won't look at it again until...

ASOS
The Red Wedding. Maybe when Danny gets the Unsullied.

I agree, don't post there. There are people assigned to answer questions, let them handle it. I don't want anyone to be spoiled. I already had a few thing spoiled for me before I read ASOS and already know a few things that are coming in AFFC and ADWD.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Show fans will get some much deserved revenge on book readers like Conor 419

I saw those links. The guy needs to stop that shit. When I was in the thread the other day, I saw some really good speculation, and some of it was fun to read (especially some people in the thread who are spot on about some things), but don't ruin it for them. Speculation is half the fun. I look forward to going into the main book thread after finishing ADWD and speculation.

I absolutely adored the podrick/tyrion/bronn scene - definitely the best scene of the episode.
It was really nice to see daddy's boy Jamie finally facing reality.

I can see it now...

A Dream Of Spring *Tagged Show Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT|

A Dream Of Spring *NO SHOW SPOILERS* |OT|

I'll be dropping smirky one liners and ";)"'s all over that thread.
You book readers just wait until you see what happens with Tyrion...

ZeroRay

My parents are watching S1 right now and I haven't said much of anything to them, outside of clarifying why Jon Snow's name is Jon Snow. After which my mom asked "so if he was born in Detroit his name would be Jon Detroit?" I gave up shortly afterwards.

Well, if he was a bastard of Detroit then it'd probably be Jon Shit lolololol.

Thank god

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
When the show passes GRRM and finishes the story I'll watch it and enjoy it. Once it airs I fully expect GRRM to fix what D&D fucked up and right their wrongs. :p

Well if each of the four current books takes two seasons to tell, then he's got 8 years before the show catches up to the book he's supposedly working on now.

However, if GRRM bites it then Brandon Sanderson -- who apparently has six clones of himself working on a prodigious amount of words per day -- can finish the series in approximately nine months.

Well if each of the four current books takes two seasons to tell, then he's got 8 years before the show catches up to the book he's supposedly working on now.

However, if GRRM bites it then Brandon Sanderson -- who apparently has six clones of himself working on a prodigious amount of words per day -- can finish the series in approximately nine months.

I don't think you can get much more out of AFFC/ADWD than two seasons total, but I think that George is counting on it being 3 seasons so we'll see. I think we'll probably see TWOW before the show catches up, but I don't believe ADOS will beat the show unless something major happens.

I don't think you can get much more out of AFFC/ADWD than two seasons total, but I think that George is counting on it being 3 seasons so we'll see. I think we'll probably see TWOW before the show catches up, but I don't believe ADOS will beat the show unless something major happens.

There's an entire
Twilight level of romantic cooing from Dany
that can suck up 8 or 9 episodes.

jett

D-Member

There's absolutely no way the show doesn't catch up to the books. The bigger question is if the show will still be around by then. I definitely don't expect D&D to stick around that long, working on this show's schedule must be exhausting as fuck.

Amir0x

Banned
with ratings the show is getting, no way the show doesn't go on. It's just a matter of who they'll switch over to as showrunner if it gets to that

I just hope ol' GRRM survives to finish his last goddamn books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom