• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidan

I think it's hilarious that GoT will likely end its run on HBO before GRRM actually finishes ASOIAF.

I think it's hilarious that television viewers will have the opportunity to spoil the story for book readers. Karma is delicious.

Crisco

Banned
Great episode, and great news about the ratings. I don't understand why HBO hasn't just said the show is renewed indefinitely.

RaidenZR

I think it's hilarious that GoT will likely end its run on HBO before GRRM actually finishes ASOIAF.

I think it's hilarious that television viewers will have the opportunity to spoil the story for book readers. Karma is delicious.

Maybe if there are some headline-grabbing Ned Stark-ey beheadings or something, those will stick out and be obvious... Then yeah, sure.

If the show gets to that point, I don't think book readers have anything to worry about in terms of being spoiled. Especially not when it comes down to fine detail and deeper motivations. Just look at the talk recently about Robb's political strategy. All of that nuance is not present in the show, and probably not needed by the looks of it. But that is a big lot of background info that people like to chew on.

Besides, the show will be operating on probably 90% of originally-made content by that point. Even now when they have this long-since-published ASOS book to adapt, they are deviating, and zig-zagging week to week. They're setting the tone that there's going to be more and more of that as they declare the desire for changes.

Lothar

Banned
Book 3 is seasons 3 and 4. Book 4 and 5 are likely combined due to their nature and take up seasons 5 and 6. That gives him damn near 4 years still to finish book 6, and another year after that to finish book 7.

1st half of Feast of Crows/1st half of Dance with Dragons
How on earth can they have a season 5? Nothing happens. I almost think both books have to be condensed down to one season.

Eidan

Maybe if there are some headline-grabbing Ned Stark-ey beheadings or something, those will stick out and be obvious... Then yeah, sure.

If the show gets to that point, I don't think book readers have anything to worry about in terms of being spoiled. Especially not when it comes down to fine detail and deeper motivations. Just look at the talk recently about Robb's political strategy. All of that nuance is not present in the show, and probably not needed by the looks of it. But that is a big lot of background info that people like to chew on.

Besides, the show will be operating on probably 90% of originally-made content by that point. Even now when they have this long-since-published ASOS book to adapt, they are deviating, and zig-zagging week to week. They're setting the tone that there's going to be more and more of that as they declare the desire for changes.

Eh, I don't think details or nuance will matter much if everywhere you're turning you read FAKE FUTURE SPECULATION
Moon Boy kills Tyrion, lol
. Readers will still be salty.

How on earth can they have a season 5? Nothing happens. I almost think both books have to be condensed down to one season.

ASOS/AFFC/ADWD
I think series 4 will be the last series that we will be able to point to a single book and say that the series is an adaptation of it. The two following books are simply too sprawling and lacking in meaty stuff for established, well loved characters to fly on TV; we'll see a mash-up of AFFC stuff, ADWD stuff, unpublished TWOW stuff straight from Martin, scenarios and characters dreamed up exclusively for the show, and extrapolations on throwaway lines and characters from throughout the books. We're seeing this happen already, with Theon's torture in the Dreadfort being massively expanded upon for the benefit of an audience who love the character and actor too much for him to disappear for years on end.

They clearly don't care about the details of Robb's campaign on the show. They're just trying to set up major story set pieces. It's not really worth discussing.

His campaign is well laid out in the books and he makes excellent strategic decisions (army-related) and bad political decisions.

The first bad political decision was becoming king. That hurt any potential alliances and made him responsible for the riverlands. The next was marrying Jeyne Westerling. Catelyn made the third when she released Jaime. There are some other failings like losing Karstark support over beheading Rickard (an unfortunate situation either way) and poorly communicating with Edmure about his plans. Oh, and sending Theon to the Iron Islands (but only because of what Theon ended up doing).

Strategically, he made excellent decisions. Splitting his forces at the Twins, the Battle of the Whisping Woods, and lifting the siege at Riverrun set him up nicely. He has his own army blocking Tywin's supply lines and reinforcements and Roose's army can retreat up the neck if they're pursued or pursue if Tywin retreats. He's free to kill off newly recruited armies (what happens at Oxcross) and harass Tywin's bannermen. Tywin, sitting at Harrenhall, is on the ropes. If he doesn't go home and defend Lannisport/Casterly Rock he could easily lose them. At the same time he has Renly's massive army marching up the Roseroad towards Kings Landing and he can't engage it. Robb isn't trying to win the war on a masterstroke. He's making Tywin chose between two shitty options and if the option is to march west he plans to battle in the most advantageous place/way possible. This is absolutely his best option. Tywin and his whole family are fucked. Then Melisandre happens (and then Littlefinger) and the war instantly changes. There's not much he can do at that point (you can't plan for magic).

For all his bad political decisions, he's actually in a good position until Renly dies. If Renly takes King's Landing (he would have easily) and Robb can make peace with him everything turns out okay.

I always felts that, aside from the above, Robb may have been good at winning battles but they were often the wrong ones.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The show is going to get a Full Metal Alchemist style ending arc that is made up and then the book will get the real ending.

You may have been bored reading A Feast for Crows or A Dance with Dragons but a lot of shit happened. I do think they'll have to resolve a few conflicts at the end of season 6 instead of the beginning of season 7, though (they shouldn't have been cut from the book in the first place).

Chuckie

The actor's name is Iwan Rheon (and he left Misfits awhile ago).

And (BOOK SPOILERS)
yeah he is Ramsay Snow. And not exactly, but it's close enough to the way it plays out in the books

(BOOK SPOILERS)
Don't you dare call him that to his face :p It is Ramsay Bolton

RaidenZR

ASOS/AFFC/ADWD
I think series 4 will be the last series that we will be able to point to a single book and say that the series is an adaptation of it. The two following books are simply too sprawling and lacking in meaty stuff for established, well loved characters to fly on TV; we'll see a mash-up of AFFC stuff, ADWD stuff, unpublished TWOW stuff straight from Martin, scenarios and characters dreamed up exclusively for the show, and extrapolations on throwaway lines and characters from throughout the books. We're seeing this happen already, with Theon's torture in the Dreadfort being massively expanded upon for the benefit of an audience who love the character and actor too much for him to disappear for years on end.

I think it's incorrect to state that there's not enough material in AFFC and ADWD to sustain at least a season and a half, let alone 2 full seasons. There is in my mind, and people are simplifying a lot because of the popular, hip opinion of those last two books. It's less straightforward but there's loads of stuff in those pages to work with, and plenty of situations where you could expand on what's between the chapters [AFFC/ADWD]
(Arya's Faceless Man Training, for example)
. Some of these hypothetical elaborations would even be most welcome.

Considering that when you look at an individual storyline of someone like Daenerys on the show, and observing a season's worth amounts to what? ***15-20 minutes of screen time maybe? And that's for what the series considers a big character. There's certainly enough to work with in those singular books for that to happen. Nevermind that we can plainly see they'll be continuing to add more new material by that point than they do now. They are building that trajectory of crafting original scenes already so it's only logical to assume it will be heavier as time goes on.

***I haven't actually done any math or seen any data about that, so I might be way off, but that's what it feels like...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
D&D know the broadstrokes of the ending though, it wont be totally unlike the book.

Yeah I know lol. It's stll going to probably be missing a lot of content, and I could see Martin changing a bit of stuff when he is writing the last book.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The actor's name is Iwan Rheon (and he left Misfits awhile ago).

And (BOOK SPOILERS)
yeah he is Ramsay Snow. And not exactly, but it's close enough to the way it plays out in the books

haha wow, not sure how I mixed him and the other guy up.... that's who I meant and yes, thanks.

But the cast of misfits seems to disappear to pursue 'bigger projects' and I'd say that this qualifies as that.

It's not like they're going to write season 8 based on a conversation D&D had with GRRM a few years ago. He can easily spend a day and write down all the major and minor storylines in the last book and answer questions about it. Characters, dialogue, and events have been changed in major ways for the TV adaptation so I doubt we'll be missing much that way. The only downside is "omg spoilers" but people who stop caring once they know how something ends are assholes anyway.

I think it's incorrect to state that there's not enough material in AFFC and ADWD to sustain at least a season and a half, let alone 2 full seasons.

Undoubtedly, but it won't just be AFFC/ ADWD material. AFFC/ADWD
How do you think TV audiences would cope with Tyrion, Danaerys and Jon not appearing for a season? Do you think all the new characters in the Iron Islands and Dorne will be appreciated in their stead? This sort of stuff didn't fly for the more fantasy-minded book fans, it sure as hell won't fly on TV.

The main beats of both books will undoubtedly be present, but I think it's incredibly likely that they'll be presented in a vastly different style to how Martin wrote them. I think we'll see a hefty chunk of ADWD as early as series 5, running concurrently with AFFC stuff. Hell, I could see massive stuff like the Prince Aegon reveal coming as soon as the start of series 5, to give Tyrion more stuff to do.

haha wow, not sure how I mixed him and the other guy up.... that's who I meant and yes, thanks.

But the cast of misfits seems to disappear to pursue 'bigger projects' and I'd say that this qualifies as that.

Whoever cast them must been a fan of teen British shows. There are actors from Skins too.

Lothar

Banned
You may have been bored reading A Feast for Crows or A Dance with Dragons but a lot of shit happened. I do think they'll have to resolve a few conflicts at the end of season 6 instead of the beginning of season 7, though (they shouldn't have been cut from the book in the first place).

I'm still about 400 pages from the end of Dance with Dragons, so let's just stick with Feast of Crows stuff. (FoC spoilers)
Arya and Sansa both have three chapters each. That'll have to be expanded greatly just to make it one full season. Jaime goes to Riverrun. Brienne searches for Sansa and not much happens, that would be a dull part of one season. Cersei's chapters would make an exciting part of one season. Her conclusion at the end of FoC would be a good season finale for one season.

Undoubtedly, but it won't just be AFFC/ ADWD material. AFFC/ADWD
How do you think TV audiences would cope with Tyrion, Danaerys and Jon not appearing for a season? Do you think all the new characters in the Iron Islands and Dorne will be appreciated in their stead? This sort of stuff didn't fly for the more fantasy-minded book fans, it sure as hell won't fly on TV.

The main beats of both books will undoubtedly be present, but I think it's incredibly likely that they'll be presented in a vastly different style to how Martin wrote them. I think we'll see a hefty chunk of ADWD as early as series 5, running concurrently with AFFC stuff. Hell, I could see massive stuff like the Prince Aegon reveal coming as soon as the start of series 5, to give Tyrion more stuff to do.

I don't think anyone is implying that the two books should be filmed the way they were written. Everyone seems to think that they should show the two plots simultaneously, but that the total material is so light that they may only fill 1-2 seasons in total even with both books' stories happening at once.

I'm still about 400 pages from the end of Dance with Dragons, so let's just stick with Feast of Crows stuff. (FoC spoilers)
Arya and Sansa both have three chapters each. That'll have to be expanded greatly just to make it one full season. Jaime goes to Riverrun. Brienne searches for Sansa and not much happens, that would be a dull part of one season. Cersei's chapters would make an exciting part of one season. Her conclusion at the end of FoC would be a good season finale for one season.

The books have a considerable amount of overlap and they'll be told simultaneously on the show so looking at one book isn't really fair (also, ADwD contains most of the fan favorites). That said, lets look at AFfC.

Jaime has to deal with the aftermath of his father dying, considerable problems in his relationship with Cersei, and being the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard while training with his left hand. He's also one of our two eyes in King's Landing. That's all before heading for Riverrun which could take up a couple episodes on its own.

The other person in KL being Cersei who is breaking down (dealing with the loss of her father/son and her fears of the Tyrells), making mistakes all over the place (with the new High Septon in particular), ends up in jail, and ends with her walk of shame.

You skipped the events in the Iron Islands. The kingsmoot, Euron coming back and blowing the horn, and his plans starting to play out. Also missing was Dorne, the plot with Myrcella and Doran revealing his plans.

Brienne's story starts slow (and hopefully that part is condensed) but as soon as they meet Septon Meribald it gets really interesting. I think his speech could be the highlight of the season and make up for what was lacking in Arya's season 2+3. Then there's the fight at the inn and later the confrontation of what's become of the BwB. Good stuff.

After that, you have the Sam, Arya, and Sansa chapters.

If AFfC took up a full season on its own, I'd agree with you, but I think that as a combined 40% of two seasons it will be fine.

Trasher

It's quite amusing reading the other thread and seeing people "predict" things when they clearly looked up what happens in the book...

-griffy-

Banned
It's quite amusing reading the other thread and seeing people "predict" things when they clearly looked up what happens in the book...

I'm not sure that's going on as much as we think, assuming you are talking about everyone predicting ASOS
Dany will just unleash her dragons on the slavers once she has the Unsullied. If you watched any of the trailers and the previews for upcoming episodes it's pretty obvious. One of the big moments in the trailers had Dany holding a dragon at the end of a chain and saying "Dracarys" and it unleashing fire. In the preview for episode 4 we see Dany giving the slaver a dragon on a chain. Put them together and presto.

Dysun

I'm not sure that's going on as much as we think, assuming you are talking about everyone predicting ASOS
Dany will just unleash her dragons on the slavers once she has the Unsullied. If you watched any of the trailers and the previews for upcoming episodes it's pretty obvious. One of the big moments in the trailers had Dany holding a dragon at the end of a chain and saying "Dracarys" and it unleashing fire. In the preview for episode 4 we see Dany giving the slaver a dragon on a chain. Put them together and presto.

There's a guy over there who already predicted the whole Roose/Bastard/Locke stuff and Sansa going to the Vale in back to back weeks. Fishy

Snake

From the somethingawful GoT thread:

ZcvD3o8.gif

6dlDnjN.gif

DvUFmnJ.gif

Conleth Hill ladies and gentlemen.

exYle

Book 3 is seasons 3 and 4. Book 4 and 5 are likely combined due to their nature and take up seasons 5 and 6. That gives him damn near 4 years still to finish book 6, and another year after that to finish book 7.

If WoW is anything like SoS, there's no way it'll be just one season. Same with DoS. If D&D want to do the series justice, I fully expect the series to go to 10 seasons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Martin doesn't write the kids to their age in the books. Their thought processes and dialogue are much more advanced for their ages. Arya is 10? She reads just like any other adult character. Not that I mind because I hate children characters. its hard to develop tension when the character can't grasp the situations they are in.

Also, is Lysa Tully's son mentally disabled or is it stunted growth as a result of Lysa's overbearing mothering?
For Robert/Robin Arrynm I think it's a bit of both. Breastfeeding him at age 6 surely can't help anyway.

Regarding Arya, I disagree completely, she very much reads like a child to me.

Speaking of Drogo, one of the main issues I have with Martin is that basically every character east of the Narrow Sea is more of a caricature than an actual person. But that's another argument for another thread.
I can see why one would think that, but I don't think it's entirely fair. There are plenty of non-caricatural Essos characters, like Missandei, Magister Illyrio, the kindly man in the House of B&W.
You're right though, that might be better discussed in the ASoIaF thread.

Bah. I never spoiled anything for any TV viewer and I've always been careful. Karma indeed. That'll teach me to not be an asshole...

Conleth Hill ladies and gentlemen.
Awesome gifs!

Yeah I openly called out that guy on his guesses and he said it was all just logical guesses. I reported it to a mod (cyan), but that mod hadn't read the books and didn't want me to spoil them for him so he couldn't do anything, lol! He told me to report it to another mod but I couldn't find anyone else in that thread.

Yeah I openly called out that guy on his guesses and he said it was all just logical guesses. I reported it to a mod (cyan), but that mod hadn't read the books and didn't want me to spoil them for him so he couldn't do anything, lol! He told me to report it to another mod but I couldn't find anyone else in that thread.

Just report it to EvilLore

There's a guy over there who already predicted the whole Roose/Bastard/Locke stuff and Sansa going to the Vale in back to back weeks. Fishy

Not sure of the context of this post you speak of but is it really out of the realm of possibility to assume that
Littlefinger has a plan to get sansa out of Kings Landing and it ties into the previously mentioned Wooing of Lysa Arryn which if im not mistaken (or was this only mentioned in the latest episode?) Likewise, the comment of "you little bastard" being a pretty obvious nod to his true identity to any viewers who pay close attention makes it pretty fucking obvious.

Granted, everything in my spoiler means little if the comment you were referring to was made during episode 1 and 2 (or even some time last season)
since the you little bastard comment came this past sunday
to which than yes I agree.

Massa

Calling out the guy is what would spoil it for people...

If WoW is anything like SoS, there's no way it'll be just one season. Same with DoS. If D&D want to do the series justice, I fully expect the series to go to 10 seasons.

I'm not sure if that's going to be viable logistically. Ten years is a long, long run for a big budget show like this. Audiences eventually fatigue, and cast members eventually do as well. I expect the show's ratings to peak sometime this season or next, and by the time we get into seasons five and six, the pressure's going to be on D&D to start moving towards a conclusion. HBO's not going to continue to throw piles of money at this show forever. They've been pretty clear about that historically with their original series. I'm thinking 7 or at the most 8 seasons is what they're going to wind up having to work with.

Martin doesn't write the kids to their age in the books. Their thought processes and dialogue are much more advanced for their ages. Arya is 10? She reads just like any other adult character. Not that I mind because I hate children characters. its hard to develop tension when the character can't grasp the situations they are in.

Also, is Lysa Tully's son mentally disabled or is it stunted growth as a result of Lysa's overbearing mothering?

One could argue that children in the middle ages grew up faster than children do today in developed countries, so it's not too jarring to me. The northern children tend to act older than the more pampered southern children for instance; compare how Bran acts to Tommen, for instance.

Burli

Pringo
Good episode in all.

I was queuing for a taxi behind the guy who cut off Jaime's hand (Noah Taylor) a couple of weeks ago, not sure if he lives in Brighton or was just visiting from London. Little did I know two weeks later he would be in Game of Thrones crippling a Lannister. I only recognised him because he was in a film called Submarine and also Lawless recently.

I loved how the scene was constructed, really slipped it in at the end there, played on the disbelief with that moment of silence. However I'm really unsure about the choice of credit music, mainly because I'm a strong believer in the music that's included in films/tv shows reflecting the instruments that would have been available at the time. Punk music and electric guitars just reminds me that I'm watching a fake TV show and so soon after the hand being cut off didn't give me time to take in the morbidness of it before an audible assault. Completely pulled me out of the moment. I would have much rather they tried a low key, slow and menacing version of the song, with instruments that suited, something that sounded like it was being sung around a campfire by the guys who just cut off his hand.

Really disliked the Podrick scene. There is SO MUCH in the books that is being cut, understandably so at times, because of time/budget limits, but to waste, what, 10 minutes on a scene that was not only not in the book but serves no purpose to the overall narrative is such a waste. It felt like an excuse to give Podrick's character air time, or to show off some more tits now that the main cast is getting too famous to get theirs out.

I don't think G.R.R.M. is foolish enough to toy with his life by giving the showrunners the true ending of the books. The readers will fucking riot.

Dysun

Not sure of the context of this post you speak of but is it really out of the realm of possibility to assume that
Littlefinger has a plan to get sansa out of Kings Landing and it ties into the previously mentioned Wooing of Lysa Arryn which if im not mistaken (or was this only mentioned in the latest episode?) Likewise, the comment of "you little bastard" being a pretty obvious nod to his true identity to any viewers who pay close attention makes it pretty fucking obvious.

Granted, everything in my spoiler means little if the comment you were referring to was made during episode 1 and 2 (or even some time last season)
since the you little bastard comment came this past sunday
to which than yes I agree.

He started theorizing who actually sacked Winterfell, held Theon, the letter, and tied it all to a massive Roose Bolton conspiracy that would be Robbs demise in Episode 2. Plus this week he threw out Sansa to the Vale speculation, just seemed like BS to me. Although I may be getting him mixed up with another guy who said that

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i think we can safely say that D&D have no intention of doing the series justice

I don't think we can "safely" say that.

I think GRRM has indicated he's starting to work harder to try and avoid that. It's not like the show will necessarily just keep going and overtake the series anyways; HBO does have the option to put more space between seasons the way it did with Sopranos.

ASOS
the Sansa going to the Vsle thing is not that big of a leap. The whole Ramsay Bolton thing "Robb better watch his back" may have been. Then again, maybe not. We know Bolton's bastard was outside Winterfell when Theon's guys left, it's not impossible to surmise that the Bolton's have him, and since they lied about Theon's status in episode 2 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), it's not too hard to think that they're up to something. It's all there. Not sure I would have made the connections if I hadn't read the books, but it's possible someone out there has.

RaidenZR

He started theorizing who actually sacked Winterfell, held Theon, the letter, and tied it all to a massive Roose Bolton conspiracy that would be Robbs demise in Episode 2. Plus this week he threw out Sansa to the Vale speculation, just seemed like BS to me. Although I may be getting him mixed up with another guy who said that

I'm not going to speak to the other stuff, but it's plausible for someone to piece together that [ASOS/AFFC/ADWD]
house Bolton has Theon in that episode. The show was flashing around the sigil during scenes outside of Theon's story, and that sigil basically gives it away. Not to mention there's plenty for Theon to pick up on with that as well.
I asked this previously in the thread when questioning why the character seemed so unsure who his captors were:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53693991&postcount=2534

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom