• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

You mean
an Other right? The Others are the nigh invulnerable ones that command the zombies, have blue ice sword like weapons, and are weak to Obsidian. The White Walkers are the zombies that are weak to fire.

Oh it looks like that was a TV change too.

The asoiaf wiki is trying to confuse me by including the other name up at the top even though I'm pretty damn sure they are never called
White Walkers
in teh series.

I dont think so

other= white walkers = ancient ice creatures
wights = zombies = turned humans

they named the others white walkers because LOST already made that term too popular

GavinGT

Banned

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I dont think so

they named the others white walkers because LOST already made that term too popular

Yeah but like you just said they change
Others to White Walkers for the TV show. I don't remember them ever referring to them as White Walkers in the books.

We send them straight to Guantanamo Bay.

43920-20comic20riaaxqa7k.jpg

Chuckie

I dont think so

The Wildlings call them White Walkers in the book and because of that so does Jon

ADWD
'Winter is coming,' Jon said at last, breaking the awkward silence, 'and with it the white walkers. The Wall is where we stop them. The Wall was made to stop them...but the Wall must be manned.

There are more quotes.

Edit: It is already in AGOT appearantly

"'[...] Fear is for the long night, when [...] the white walkers move through the woods.'
'You mean the Others,' Bran said querulously.
'The Others,' Old Nan agreed."

Lothar

Banned
The 'truth' of the series does not depend on the fact you can't suspend your disbelieve though. The poster you quoted mentioned Robs age in the series, and he was correct about it. The fact he looks older, is older IRL etcetera doesn't influence the correctness of the statement.

Like I said, I see it the same as if they called Tyrion tall. Even if every character on the show called Tyrion tall and said Joffrey has wings, I would say the truth is Tyrion's not tall and Joffrey does not have wings. Because I can see that for myself that those two things are not true.

Chuckie

Like I said, I see it the same as if they called Tyrion tall. Even if every character on the show called Tyrion tall and said Joffrey has wings, I would say the truth is Tyrion's not tall and Joffrey does not have wings. Because I can see that for myself that those two things are not true.

Yeah and that is your problem alone and like I said before does not diminish the 'truth' of the poster you quoted. The poster was right. End of story. No matter if you 'believe' it or not.

You literally said: 'If Robb is 18 on the show' Well I got news for you: He is. No matter if you believe it or not. There are also Dragons and Sorceresses on the show. If you don't believe that does it suddenly mean they are no longer in the show?

Your perception of the show does not change the script. Maybe the fact that you don't believe he is 18 means that for you he is not 18 in the series. However it does not change the fact he is 18 in the script and that other people might believe (or can suspend disbelieve) that he is 18.

Solo

Whining about the ages of the actors is pointless. You can NEVER get this right when the characters are young. Ever. Not unless you plan to recast every season. Otherwise, it doesn't matter what you do. If you hire older than the character, people complain. If you hire an 18 year old to play an 18 year, by the time you hit S7 and the actor is now 25 but the character is still 18, people will complain.

Choose the right actors and fuck age accuracy.

Chuckie

Whining about the ages of the actors is pointless. You can NEVER get this right when the characters are young. Ever. Not unless you plan to recast every season. Otherwise, it doesn't matter what you do. If you hire older than the character, people complain. If you hire an 18 year old to play an 18 year, and by the time you hate S7 and the actor is now 25 but the character is still 18, people will complain.

Choose the right actors and fuck age accuracy.

Word.

Dawg

They did their best picking actors that look somewhat younger too.

I mean, Jojen Reed is 23 irl. I'd never have guessed that.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
They did their best picking actors that look somewhat younger too.

I mean, Jojen Reed is 23 irl. I'd never have guessed that.

I don't know, Robb and Theon are actually younger than me by a few months, and I think they look older than me. The former is much more handsome too. Damn you, stupid sexy Madden.

norinrad

I get that impression as well, which is a shame because he's such a good character. There was a lot of potential for Mance, especially when I heard Hinds was cast; I figured the role would be expanded to justify such a casting. But so far he's been on screen for about 7 minutes and hasn't done much of anything. I figured we'd see some scenes of Jon getting to know his new brothers, being accepted by Tormund, discussing the Night's Watch idealogy with Mance, etc.. Nope, more prostitute scenes.

LOL at the last sentence.

I love this show and will read the books after i have watched all the episodes. Also i thought the
ending music was awesome, i just couldn't stop laughing

An analysis of Robb's war strategy and comparison to books (only up to Episode 3, no spoilers):

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/robb-stark/

They clearly don't care about the details of Robb's campaign on the show. They're just trying to set up major story set pieces. It's not really worth discussing.

His campaign is well laid out in the books and he makes excellent strategic decisions (army-related) and bad political decisions.

The first bad political decision was becoming king. That hurt any potential alliances and made him responsible for the riverlands. The next was marrying Jeyne Westerling. Catelyn made the third when she released Jaime. There are some other failings like losing Karstark support over beheading Rickard (an unfortunate situation either way) and poorly communicating with Edmure about his plans. Oh, and sending Theon to the Iron Islands (but only because of what Theon ended up doing).

Strategically, he made excellent decisions. Splitting his forces at the Twins, the Battle of the Whisping Woods, and lifting the siege at Riverrun set him up nicely. He has his own army blocking Tywin's supply lines and reinforcements and Roose's army can retreat up the neck if they're pursued or pursue if Tywin retreats. He's free to kill off newly recruited armies (what happens at Oxcross) and harass Tywin's bannermen. Tywin, sitting at Harrenhall, is on the ropes. If he doesn't go home and defend Lannisport/Casterly Rock he could easily lose them. At the same time he has Renly's massive army marching up the Roseroad towards Kings Landing and he can't engage it. Robb isn't trying to win the war on a masterstroke. He's making Tywin chose between two shitty options and if the option is to march west he plans to battle in the most advantageous place/way possible. This is absolutely his best option. Tywin and his whole family are fucked. Then Melisandre happens (and then Littlefinger) and the war instantly changes. There's not much he can do at that point (you can't plan for magic).

For all his bad political decisions, he's actually in a good position until Renly dies. If Renly takes King's Landing (he would have easily) and Robb can make peace with him everything turns out okay.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so after episode 3, it's easy to see why invisible guy left the cast of misfits. Also it's been a while since I've read the books but does Rhys Ifans (the guy who saves Theon in the forest) play the character of (possible spoiler for future episodes)
Roose boltons bastard? I got that impression from the way the guy said 'you little bastard' and have a feeling that he's saving him to build trust then fuck him real bad later, but I really can't remember right now if that's how it plays out

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They clearly don't care about the details of Robb's campaign on the show. They're just trying to set up major story set pieces. It's not really worth discussing.

His campaign is well laid out in the books and he makes excellent strategic decisions (army-related) and bad political decisions.

The first bad political decision was becoming king. That hurt any potential alliances and made him responsible for the riverlands. The next was marrying Jeyne Westerling. Catelyn made the third when she released Jaime. There are some other failings like losing Karstark support over beheading Rickard (an unfortunate situation either way) and poorly communicating with Edmure about his plans. Oh, and sending Theon to the Iron Islands (but only because of what Theon ended up doing).

Strategically, he made excellent decisions. Splitting his forces at the Twins, the Battle of the Whisping Woods, and lifting the siege at Riverrun set him up nicely. He has his own army blocking Tywin's supply lines and reinforcements and Roose's army can retreat up the neck if they're pursued or pursue if Tywin retreats. He's free to kill off newly recruited armies (what happens at Oxcross) and harass Tywin's bannermen. Tywin, sitting at Harrenhall, is on the ropes. If he doesn't go home and defend Lannisport/Casterly Rock he could easily lose them. At the same time he has Renly's massive army marching up the Roseroad towards Kings Landing and he can't engage it. Robb isn't trying to win the war on a masterstroke. He's making Tywin chose between two shitty options and if the option is to march west he plans to battle in the most advantageous place/way possible. This is absolutely his best option. Tywin and his whole family are fucked. Then Melisandre happens (and then Littlefinger) and the war instantly changes. There's not much he can do at that point (you can't plan for magic).

For all his bad political decisions, he's actually in a good position until Renly dies. If Renly takes King's Landing (he would have easily) and Robb can make peace with him everything turns out okay.

Yeah it really comes down to him being a great tactician and front-line general but not having the wisdom to be a great politician.

- Sunday ratings from TVbtN

Game of Thrones with 4.7M viewers and a 2.4 in the 18-49 demo.

Is the show doing better than ever or just okay? These numbers don't mean much to me.

Also, I haven't started any season 3 yet. Has Varys shown up yet? Are there any (living) season 1-2 mainstays that haven't made an appearance yet for whatever reason? Spoilers are okay, I've read :)

Better than ever. That's an all-time high for the show, iirc.
awesome :) Sounds like the show is here to stay until the end. Hope they can do it in 7 seasons total.

And then a prequel spinoff about Robert's Rebellion.

suzu

so after episode 3, it's easy to see why invisible guy left the cast of misfits. Also it's been a while since I've read the books but does Rhys Ifans (the guy who saves Theon in the forest) play the character of (possible spoiler for future episodes)
Roose boltons bastard? I got that impression from the way the guy said 'you little bastard' and have a feeling that he's saving him to build trust then fuck him real bad later, but I really can't remember right now if that's how it plays out

The actor's name is Iwan Rheon (and he left Misfits awhile ago).

And (BOOK SPOILERS)
yeah he is Ramsay Snow. And not exactly, but it's close enough to the way it plays out in the books

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
how are they gonna do this though, the show is obviously going to catch up to the books, really really quickly.

is that dude even writing at all?!

-griffy-

Banned
how are they gonna do this though, the show is obviously going to catch up to the books, really really quickly.

is that dude even writing at all?!

Book 3 is seasons 3 and 4. Book 4 and 5 are likely combined due to their nature and take up seasons 5 and 6. That gives him damn near 4 years still to finish book 6, and another year after that to finish book 7.

Eidan

(double post sorry)

Eh I've never viewed it that way, nor have I read many large fantasy series where every character is connected to each other character; I don't see that as a negative, personally. Sam isn't connected to Sansa, but he is connected to Jon, Bran, and Dany. Sansa isn't connected to Arya, but is connected to Tyrion, etc. It's easy to forget that this story is literally in the middle of its telling, and we don't know exactly where everything is going. Overall the arcs have stayed pretty stable to me except for Dany's. Martin is good at throwing curve balls but I think a general endgame outline is visible for the main characters, and now we wait to see how the secondary characters play into that.

I don't feel every character needs to be connected to every character, but I do feel they need to be connected to a central storyline or it all to feel cohesive. I feel that the War of the Five Kings is simply too large and sprawling for it be as effective as Ned in King's Landing.

Though I think his world building could use some improvement, I think Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy was perfect in how every storyline tied into a single conflict, even when you didn't think it did. You're right that we're talking about a story that is in progress, so Martin may very well tie everything up in a nice bow. But it doesn't change the fact that, at least after ASOS, stories will become even more dispersed and numerous before they start coming back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom