• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroRay

AFFC/ADWD would be great condensed into one season, one and a half tops.

Anything more and you'll piss the readers off as much as the viewers. And considering D&D's comments saying this will be the most
separated
the TV series will ever be, they know it too.

ezrarh

Anything more and you'll piss the readers off as much as the viewers. And considering D&D's comments saying this will be the most
separated

ADWD
I'd like to see a 15 episode season that encompasses ADWD/AFFC and the beginning of WoW. They could end it with the Stannis/Bolton fight and Dany with the Meereen battle and her sailing for Westeros. Also Jon dying and then maybe getting resurrected. I don't know if it would work well if they just left us with Jon dying. There's some great material for a season but the plot lines in ADWD need to be finished off. The book readers certainly got left hanging. I don't see how they can have a satisfying season with just the AFFC/ADWD material unless they start making up their own scenes.

So now that the writers of the show made it
Bolton's crew that chopped off Jaime's hand, it doesn't quite make as much sense for the Lannisters to name them wardens of the north later down the road. I guess that will be their reward for returning Jaime at all? Still, kind of...Odd. I can't see Tywin rewarding a house that took away his son's pride and joy. The very thing that made him what he is/was.

with ratings the show is getting, no way the show doesn't go on. It's just a matter of who they'll switch over to as showrunner if it gets to that

I just hope ol' GRRM survives to finish his last goddamn books

I heard talk on here about them possibly doing a prequel season when the show inevitably catches up to the books. Can anyone post a source for that? I'd be much more comfortable with that, as it would give a lot of the non-readers important back story that they miss by only watching the show

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I heard talk on here about them possibly doing a prequel season when the show inevitably catches up to the books. Can anyone post a source for that? I'd be much more comfortable with that, as it would give a lot of the non-readers important back story that they miss by only watching the show

There's no source on that, it's all speculation and it won't happen. They can't release the cast and expect them to return intact a year later, nor can they keep them offscreen and pay them anyway.

What D&D have said is that they're very aware that they need to delve more into Rhaegar and the backstory and that they'll do so later on. But whatever that entails there's no way it's a prequel season.

ZeroRay

ADWD
I'd like to see a 15 episode season that encompasses ADWD/AFFC and the beginning of WoW. They could end it with the Stannis/Bolton fight and Dany with the Meereen battle and her sailing for Westeros. Also Jon dying and then maybe getting resurrected. I don't know if it would work well if they just left us with Jon dying. There's some great material for a season but the plot lines in ADWD need to be finished off. The book readers certainly got left hanging. I don't see how they can have a satisfying season with just the AFFC/ADWD material unless they start making up their own scenes.

I'm thinking that's very likely. ADWD
D&D recently visited George's house to check up on where the series is going, so they probably know how the battles end. We might be getting a televised preview of Winds before it even releases.

devilhawk

ADWD

They'll just make up their own scenes.

You can easily get 2 out of AFfC and ADwD with additions.

If AffC/ADwD takes 2 seasons then they won't be airing TWoW til 2017. I think GRMM can get TWoW done by then.

There's no source on that, it's all speculation and it won't happen. They can't release the cast and expect them to return intact a year later, nor can they keep them offscreen and pay them anyway.

What D&D have said is that they're very aware that they need to delve more into Rhaegar and the backstory and that they'll do so later on. But whatever that entails there's no way it's a prequel season.

Yea, guess I didn't really think about the problems it would cause with the current cast, good call. Even though it's never happening, I still think it would be the best case scenario for handling the inevitable catch-up

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

This is most likely the (unfortunate?) reality of the situation.

HBO and D&D don't want to pass GRRM but if the show's popularity keeps up they will absolutely do so if necessary. The most realistic way to avoid that is to pad out some of the storylines with original content.

I think AFFC and ADWD will be 2 seasons combined and would be very surprised if they did it in 1 or 3.

Yea, guess I didn't really think about the problems it would cause with the current cast, good call. Even though it's never happening, I still think it would be the best case scenario for handling the inevitable catch-up

Maybe it would be nice to do a prequel episode or two down the line. It wouldn't do a ton for keeping the show from passing the books, but it would be feasible and probably preferable to getting all the backstory through exposition.

exYle

separated

If, at the end of the FfC/DwD dual seasons, they finish off with either the battle for
Winterfell
or the battle for
Meereen
or both, then I think the viewers will be just as enthralled. They can then maybe do WoW for 1.5 seasons followed by DoS for the following 1.5 seasons, putting the show at 9 total.

Bolton's crew that chopped off Jaime's hand, it doesn't quite make as much sense for the Lannisters to name them wardens of the north later down the road. I guess that will be their reward for returning Jaime at all? Still, kind of...Odd. I can't see Tywin rewarding a house that took away his son's pride and joy. The very thing that made him what he is/was.

That can easily be justified if
Bolton gives up that group of men just like he gave up Vargo Hoat and the Bloody Mummers

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/02/g...-deal-with-hbo-says-dunk-egg-being-discussed/

George R. R. Martin has so far remained mum about his new deal with HBO, but today he responded to a comment on a post at his Not A Blog which sheds just the tiniest bit of light on the deal. And for fans of the Dunk & Egg series, it is potentially very good news.

"Tuf [Voyaging] would be fun. Dunk and Egg are being discussed. Robert’s Rebellion is part of Ice & Fire, won’t be a separate series. Sandkings was done by the OUTER LIMITS; I retain feature film rights, but television rights are gone."
According to theMountainGoat, HBO does not have the rights to the Tales of Dunk & Egg, so this discussion is likely over purchasing the adaptation rights. In other words, these discussions are very preliminary. Don’t expect to see Ser Duncan and Aegon rampaging about Westeros on your TV screens next year. Still, this is a very important first step!

originally from this - http://grrm.livejournal.com/311788.html?thread=17247724#t17247724

I think the chances of any sort of film or tv version of Robert's Rebellion are remote.

To tell the truth, I have never understood why there is so much interest in this particular prequel. By the time I finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, you will know everything there is to know about Robert's Rebellion. If I then went on to write a novel, a trilogy, or a screenplay about same, it would be a novel, trilogy, or screenplay utterly without surprise, so the reader would know everything that was going to happen. I'd just be connecting the dots. I don't see the point.

And I agree. Fuck Robert's Rebellion, I want to see some HBO original films surrounding the legendary exploits of Ser Duncan the Tall

Dysun

It would be ironic to have gone from watching the TV show to reading the books for answers and then come back again

Iksenpets

Banned

If AffC/ADwD takes 2 seasons then they won't be airing TWoW til 2017. I think GRMM can get TWoW done by then.

I think this is most likely Feast and Dance have a lot of popular characters that don't get a lot of screen time, and a lot of new characters who come out feeling under developed because they don't get much space either. The main [AFFC/DwD]
Jon/Cersei/Dany
plotlines will probably get simplified, but I think most everyone else could probably end up expanded on. Whether that will work out well or not, who knows, but as the show runners get more and more confident about making their own content, I think they would probably rather try to spice up the dry portions of those books instead of trimming them down and basically just serving as a belated editor for those books.

LTTP but I finally got to watch the number 3. It was, IMO, one of the strongest of the entire series. The increased budget shows: Better writing (changes notwithstanding, not here to complain about that), better directing, better cinematography, better music...

Also I bet it helps that they have half the material to deal with than with the second season.

And I really enjoyed "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" during the credits. very slightly out of place with the ending, but goddamn if I didn't enjoy that.

Some notes:

-I enjoyed the scene and the resultant one with Podrick and the whores. Some lightheartedness is always good, even if it's not entirely cannon with the book.

-Similarly the scene with Tailisa and the Lannister children was enjoyable as well. Went along with the lore and the general fog of war as well [ASOS]
And if I'm not mistaken I recall numerous times where stories of Robb turning into Grey Wind, so it was nice to get that involved with the show, even if it's a minor thing.

-I'm starting to come to like the changes to Mance. [ASOS]
Whilst he will always be the somewhat 'kind hearted' singer who happened to unite the peoples of the North to escape the coming winter and what comes with it
. The actor definitely has a great screen presence which I think was their point.

-Is that Ramsay Snow who is helping Theon? If so [ASOS/ADWD]]
I'm assuming this is the backstory to how he morphs into Reek? One of the changes to the show that I actually approve of, though the books did it well in their own right, a huge surprise when you finally realise that Reek is what is left of Theon, figuratively and literally, it would be hard to follow without the monologues in the books

-Bronn gonna Bronn. The scene with Tyrion about loaning money was kinda poignant:
"What happens if I don't pay it back"
"Well you have to"
"But what if I don't"
".."

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So, in this last episode Jojen tells Bran that he (Bran) is the three-eyed Raven.
In [ADWD]
The three-eyed raven is revealed to be The Last Greenseer who was once known as Lord Brynden. I wonder where the show is going with this.

[ADwD]
Worse, it's actually a three-eyed CROW! ADFDSGDRFHF NERD RAGE!!!11

Kidding. But yeah that might just be Jojen being mistaken. It's not like anyone knows Bloodraven's all the way out there being connected to the tree-nternet.

TCRS

Banned
tumblr_mlb6e0xEFv1qm99fco1_500.gif

tumblr_mlb6e0xEFv1qm99fco2_500.gif

tumblr_mlbcooJbY81s95j2so1_250.gif
tumblr_mlbcooJbY81s95j2so7_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mlbcooJbY81s95j2so2_250.gif
tumblr_mlbcooJbY81s95j2so5_250.gif

tumblr_mlbcooJbY81s95j2so3_250.gif
tumblr_mlbcooJbY81s95j2so4_r1_250.gif

Emilia Clarke on LIVE with Kelly and Michael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hznQGnorjqg

Gosh I love her.

Snake

I think the only way a Robert's Rebellion or Dunk & Egg season could work is if it's coming as a complementary piece to a reduced-episode main season (reduction having taken place because the show has caught up to GRRM, and they don't want to go into the wild on there own or to make a whole season full of filler). And even that sounds hard to imagine.

Of course if they're up against the worst of all possible GRRMergencies there's no saying what HBO would do.

Moff

As I said before, Id' love to see a Roberts Rebellion "filler" prequel-season to let GRRM catch up a bit. I dont think its that unlikely. We all know the tv show WILL catch up, at least there I dont have the slightest doubt.
and spartacus did the same, its certainly not a problem.

I would be very much looking forward to that, and I think even the non-book readers would be pleased to see some background story.
The most important part of the prequel season would be the proper introduction of
the R+L theory though, IF we believe its going to be of any importance in the end, which I do.

The longer this show continues the more you're going to see it deviate from the books. I can see a lot of smaller characters getting completely cut out so that the regulars can have new/expanded plots/story arcs. They're not going to pay people like Gillen and Dinklage big bucks to be in a scene or two every episode.

Kadayi

Banned

I think it has to be seen from the perspective of Locke acting on his own, rather than under direct orders

Kadayi

Banned
The longer this show continues the more you're going to see it deviate from the books. I can see a lot of smaller characters getting completely cut out so that the regulars can have new/expanded plots/story arcs. They're not going to pay people like Gillen and Dinklage big bucks to be in a scene or two every episode.

I think it will be more a case of characters getting merged (which they've been doing to some degree already), and given more screentime accordingly.

We haven't seen Tywin and Joffrey in the same scene yet, have we? I can't wait for Tywin to lay the smackdown.

Yeah I'd like to see whether Joffery would get arsey with him, or be deferential.

There's absolutely no way the show doesn't catch up to the books. The bigger question is if the show will still be around by then. I definitely don't expect D&D to stick around that long, working on this show's schedule must be exhausting as fuck.

Based on interviews they've given with how excited they are to get to [ASoS]
the RW
I really wouldn't be surprised if they bailed after next season. Finish ASoS and then bail before they have to try and cobble together AFfC/ADwD.

Unless of course part of the deal they made with GRRM was that they'd see the whole thing through.

I think George will get Book 6 out by the time that the second half of S3 and a Dragons/AFFC single season airs. So crossing my fingers for him to have taken 3 years to write WoW, he's written that fast in the past and AFAIK some stuff from Dragons was pushed to book 6.

Seems like zero hope of book 7 being done before the show catches up tho

Crisco

Banned
Hell, I'd be happy with just a Tower of Joy animated short. It's by far the most awesome scene described in all the books.

Dysun

This show can't go on hiatus for a prequel, you can't tell 50 actors they aren't going to work for a year and bring them all back.

Well they've been doing that already for Gillen, for reasons I still don't understand; he's a great actor but is just oddly bad on the show, and they've clearly written material for him as if to justify his involvement. They didn't chase but names for many of the main characters, I don't see why they did it for support characters like him and Hinds as Mance (another wasted actor thus far).

There's a lot of great material in AFFC/ADWD. And for all the complaints, AFFC is right up the alley of what the show is: a drama more focused on sheming and dialogue than action. It features some great scenes and confrontations for many characters, especially in King's Landing.

Well they've been doing that already for Gillen, for reasons I still don't understand; he's a great actor but is just oddly bad on the show, and they've clearly written material for him as if to justify his involvement. They didn't chase but names for many of the main characters, I don't see why they did it for support characters like him and Hinds as Mance (another wasted actor thus far).

There's a lot of great material in AFFC/ADWD. And for all the complaints, AFFC is right up the alley of what the show is: a drama more focused on sheming and dialogue than action. It features some great scenes and confrontations for many characters, especially in King's Landing.

While I thought AFFC was a very plodding book and had many very slow and boring parts, I agree it could come out much better in the TV show.

pr0cs

Finally got to see the episode, which I thought was very very good. Certainly a lot better that EP02 which was a huge disappointment to me. I understand that they have to deviate from the books but EP02 was too different. This EP03 was really good, the scenes they added were not long and did add some fanservice as well as for the most part, build characters that so far have felt sort of minor.
I don't get the angst from the credits song, to me it's a bit premature to play that song considering what happens to Brienne and Jaime later on but perhaps they'll do the song again for that episode.

The Blackfish Edmure scenes including Robb were very well done, very close to the source material and great acting/writing.

I'm not entirely sure how Theon's story is going to go, I honestly expected ADWD
Ramsay to reveal himself as hunting Theon when they knock Theon off the horse in the show but perhaps they're building up to it which I'm fine with, as long as Ramsay becomes the bastard that puts Joffry to shame in terms of cruelty

I hope the show continues to have more episodes like this where the deviations are not so glaring and add more to character development than filler like EP02 did.

Speaking of Gillen, Littlefinger speculation/ASOS spoilers
In the book, now that Littlefinger has left Kings Landing and now he stays nearby somewhere until Joffrey's wedding, then he grabs Sansa and they get out, correct? Now, in the show we know we see Lysa and Robin for an episode, so will Littlefinger presumingly to the Eyrie, and then come back for Joffrey's wedding? (On top of known appearances from those two characters, I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't see Gillen until sometime in the first half of next season.)

Huh... it just dawned on me that [ASoS]
we've probably seen the last of Mance Rayder this season, right? Unless they go back to just Mance, Jon is likely stuck with Tormund, Orell and Ygritte until he bails on them at Queenscrown and heads back to the Wall. Hell, we maybe have seen the last of Mance until the battle at the Wall next season? Seems like a huge gap in appearances, as Mance really didn't have much of an impression thus far this year.

Crisco

Banned
we've probably seen the last of Mance Rayder this season, right? Unless they go back to just Mance, Jon is likely stuck with Tormund, Orell and Ygritte until he bails on them at Queenscrown and heads back to the Wall. Hell, we maybe have seen the last of Mance until the battle at the Wall next season? Seems like a huge gap in appearances, as Mance really didn't have much of an impression thus far this year.

That may be the point of Orell being with them. Maybe they will invent some Warg farsight communication where characters can talk to each other through a Warg'd eagle or somethign stupid like that.

dubq

That may be the point of Orell being with them. Maybe they will invent some Warg farsight communication where characters can talk to each other through a Warg'd eagle or somethign stupid like that.

SHOW SPOILER
Hinds only filmed 3 episodes, plus a single reaction shot for a later episode (I'm guessing lighting the biggest fire the north has ever seen) for this season.
Source: His interview with Vulture.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom