• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoos30

Hmmm, thing is, is it me, or does the series diverge A LOT from the book regarding Daenery's plot in Meeren. I mean, I might be wrong, but it does look as if

ASOS

Daenerys has opted to outright destroy Meeren and moving on with her voyage rather than sitting down and rule there. This is something that I do want to happen. The show correcting some of the narrative traps that Martin brought into himself would be all kinds of awesome, I swear by the gods

That would be AWESOME but unless GRRM gave D&D the secret roadmap to the last two books, we are going to be stuck in
Mereen with Dany
for a very long time.

Eidan

I don't necessarily agree that the books don't prep you for Beric at all. IIRC, there are a number of characters or moments where rumors of Beric's death are discussed, along with the Brotherhood. The books make you aware that the Brotherhood exists and is a thorn in the side of "unjust" men; we didn't really get that in the show at all.

Oh no doubt that the books mention Dondarrion and the Brotherhood. But a lot of names are mentioned throughout the books (I can tell you I ignored pretty much any mentioning of Tyrek Lannister) and at least for me, it was background noise until we finally meet him at this point in the story. Still, that said, I think a mentioning here or there during one of the Tywin scenes would have been a good touch.

ultron87

I'm still curious where they are going with this whole Podric is a sex god thing. I assume it has to be more than just a running joke at this point since they brought it up again. Tyrion plot? Littlefinger plot? I dunno.

Eidan

I'm still curious where they are going with this whole Podric is a sex god thing. I assume it has to be more than just a running joke at this point since they brought it up again. Tyrion plot? Littlefinger plot? I dunno.

Answered your own question.

Oh no doubt that the books mention Dondarrion and the Brotherhood. But a lot of names are mentioned throughout the books (I can tell you I ignored pretty much any mentioning of Tyrek Lannister) and at least for me, it was background noise until we finally meet him at this point in the story. Still, that said, I think a mentioning here or there during one of the Tywin scenes would have been a good touch.

Good points, and it would make the most sense, since most (all?) of the Brotherhood talk was in Harrenhal last season.

I really have no idea. It's kinda funny, but not worth the precious time afforded it. I haven't read ADWD, but I can't figure out how it would contribute to anything in ASOS/AFFC.

Drazgul

ADWD
You guys wanting them to speed through Dany's story a bit know that she still hasn't been to Yunkai or Mereen? If you want to condense her ruling of Mereen well that is still a ways off. Plenty of material before we get there.

No one cares about what happens in Essos, that crappy continent can go screw itself.

iamblades

That would be AWESOME but unless GRRM gave D&D the secret roadmap to the last two books, we are going to be stuck in
Mereen with Dany
for a very long time.

I actually don't think it would be awesome if she ALL
just sacked the cities and said 'fuck you I'm out!', aside from how shitty the Mereen stuff is in the books. She needs the lesson( that conquering is not ruling) she learns there for her character growth, just not all the other pointless meandering she does there.. It's all the bullshit about all the suitors chasing her and trying to marry her that sucks ass. Cut Daario and all that bullshit, get Hizdahr's betrayal over with quick, reduce Quentyn's story to the bare minimum, and figure out where the Victarion plotline is going and she should be in a good position post S5

They probably will need to add some filler to her story, but as long as it's better than
shitty romance novel bullshit
then it has to be an improvement.

So good...dragon fire looked so much better than S2.

They have definitely upped the scale, the last 7 minutes were amazing. The final shots of Unsullied marching out, dragons flying and the city behind it looked great.

Emilia Clarke has been killing it since the last episode of S2. And absolutely loving Margraey.

Scene with Varys and Tyrion with the Sorcerer in the box was amazingly done. At first I was annoyed like Tyrion on what the hell is in that box that he keeps working on it. Payoff = awesome.

By E5 I think we will have seen all the trailer scenes?

So apparently HBO had to remove the Bones song from the trailer because the band sued?

I would think sales of the song would have sky rocketed after that...

aceface

I'm surprised at how fast they were moving..just going to spoiler tag the rest of this post (all books spoilers)
I thought the events of yesterday's episode would be the end of the season..it seems like the only good ending point for her this season will be as queen in Mereen (end of ASOS). They split ASOS into two seasons but it seems like Dany's whole story in that book will be wrapped up in season 3.

Then, next season will have to be the Mereenese Knot and the only good ending point I can think of there would be the end of ADWD.

But she can't get that far in season 4 without Tyrion already being in Essos/Ironborn heading there too, and I can't see that happening yet.

Maybe D+D will invent some stuff for her to do?

I was also thinking about what will happen at the show catches up with the books. I think it's likely that GRRM will finish TWOW before the show catches up with him. They could probably get 3 years of show material out of the already published books. But the show will probably catch up right when TWOW comes out- it will invariably take him another few years to get the last book out and the show will be caught up. I wonder if they move to yearly specials, kind of like how Doctor Who did awhile back? Maybe a special focusing on each major part of the story? Or they could go to a Dunk and Egg prequel series.

Linius

ivXr14nWBKCJG.gif

Jorah is such a boss :p

ezrarh

I'm surprised at how fast they were moving..just going to spoiler tag the rest of this post (all books spoilers)
I thought the events of yesterday's episode would be the end of the season..it seems like the only good ending point for her this season will be as queen in Mereen (end of ASOS). They split ASOS into two seasons but it seems like Dany's whole story in that book will be wrapped up in season 3.

Then, next season will have to be the Mereenese Knot and the only good ending point I can think of there would be the end of ADWD.

But she can't get that far in season 4 without Tyrion already being in Essos/Ironborn heading there too, and I can't see that happening yet.

Maybe D+D will invent some stuff for her to do?

I was also thinking about what will happen at the show catches up with the books. I think it's likely that GRRM will finish TWOW before the show catches up with him. They could probably get 3 years of show material out of the already published books. But the show will probably catch up right when TWOW comes out- it will invariably take him another few years to get the last book out and the show will get caught up. I wonder if they move to yearly specials, kind of like how Doctor Who did awhile back? Maybe a special focusing on each major part of the story? Or they could go to a Dunk and Egg prequel series.

ASOS
The season will end up with her taking Yunkai. Next season will have her take over Meereen and the season after that will probably be the Meereenese knot. I don't know how Dave and Dan will drag out an entire season for the taking of Meereen though but I'm sure they can add new scenes.

Also, I don't know why anybody would think the show would do a prequel season or wait for George to finish fucking around with the last two books. HBO will continue turning out the seasons as long as the show is making them money. George might not be happy with it but as an HBO exec, I would just continue with the show.

aceface

ASOS
The season will end up with her taking Yunkai. Next season will have her take over Meereen and the season after that will probably be the Meereenese knot. I don't know how Dave and Dan will drag out an entire season for the taking of Meereen though but I'm sure they can add new scenes.

Also, I don't know why anybody would think the show would do a prequel season or wait for George to finish fucking around with the last two books. HBO will continue turning out the seasons as long as the show is making them money. George might not be happy with it but as an HBO exec, I would just continue with the show.

ASOS
That's a good point, I forgot about the Yunkai stuff. It all blurs together in my head.

Maybe HBO would want to do that but I don't know what I'd think of D+D basically writing their own end to the series. I know GRRM gave them a story outline but I don't know how fleshed out it is. I wonder if there is any stipulation in GRRM's contract about HBO being able to air unpublished material.

golem

Series:
I'd be absolutely fine were they to invent entirely new material for Dany from this point on.

That, unfortunately, won't happen.

I think the key for Dany is to make the viewers Series:
feel as if freeing the slave cities was as important to them as it is to her at the moment, then looking back in a season or two and wondering how and why they got in this quagmire and lost focus on westeros.
They need to get caught up in what she's feeling for it to work.

That's going to be hard to pull off though.

ezrarh

ASOS
That's a good point, I forgot about the Yunkai stuff. It all blurs together in my head.

Maybe HBO would want to do that but I don't know what I'd think of D+D basically writing their own end to the series. I know GRRM gave them a story outline but I don't know how fleshed out it is. I wonder if there is any stipulation in GRRM's contract about HBO being able to air unpublished material.

Yeah, it would definitely depend on the contract with GRRM as well. D+D writing their own material to fit in between the major plotlines will probably be a hit & miss type scenario so it won't be ideal but at that point, it's art vs money and I think money will win out.

Meier

I'm sure he is making money hand over fist from the show. He likely has essentially no rights other than perhaps a negotiated 1 episode per season writing requirement.

There's no way they won't keep the train running even if George isn't on it.

Ithil

I don't know what's goinna happen come say, season 6/7. By season 7 at the very latest, they're gonna be finished ADWD, now that's like 4 years away, there's a strong chance TWOW will be released by then, and also a strong chance that will take two seasons. I'd think 2015/2016 is a decent estimate for TWOW.

But ADOS? I can't see any way that's done in time. Even writing at a timely pace, unlike AFFC and ADWD, these books are long, and detailed, they take like 4-5 years to write even at a good pace.

At a very generous estimate, Season 9 would begin ADOS. It would frankly be a total disaster trying to create a season or two just from Martin's rough outlines or partially written final book, and that's the ending of the series, you can't throw it together. Never mind I would not watch the last seasons if I haven't read ADOS yet.

I mean:

2014: ASOS Part 2
2015: AFFC/ADWD Part 1
2016: AFFC/ADWD Part 2
2017: TWOW Part 1
2018: TWOW Part 2
2019: ???
Uh oh.

Drazgul

It's all the bullshit about all the suitors chasing her and trying to marry her that sucks ass. Cut Daario and all that bullshit, get Hizdahr's betrayal over with quick, reduce Quentyn's story to the bare minimum, and figure out where the Victarion plotline is going and she should be in a good position post S5

Well seeing as how
Daario
has already been cast, we'll have to suffer through at least some of it.

exYle

I don't know what's goinna happen come say, season 6/7. By season 7 at the very latest, they're gonna be finished ADWD, now that's like 4 years away, there's a strong chance TWOW will be released by then, and also a strong chance that will take two seasons. I'd think 2015/2016 is a decent estimate for TWOW.

But ADOS? I can't see any way that's done in time. Even writing at a timely pace, unlike AFFC and ADWD, these books are long, and detailed, they take like 4-5 years to write even at a good pace.

At a very generous estimate, Season 9 would begin ADOS. It would frankly be a total disaster trying to create a season or two just from Martin's rough outlines or partially written final book, and that's the ending of the series, you can't throw it together. Never mind I would not watch the last seasons if I haven't read ADOS yet.

I mean:

2019: ???
Uh oh.

I wonder... GoT-SoS were released from 1996-2001... could we get Winds of Winter in 2015 and Dream of Spring in 2018? Highly dubious, but...

Ithil

I wonder... GoT-SoS were released from 1996-2001... could we get Winds of Winter in 2015 and Dream of Spring in 2018? Highly dubious, but...

The problem there is Martin started the books in the early 90s and only planned one huge book initially that grew into 2, then 3 books.

Why do people assume GRRM will have no input if the show catches up to him? He could stop writing the book and just write the scripts if it came to that.

Decent chance at first glance, but keep in mind that these episodes get filmed the year before they air and written months before they film, which tightens up the timeline for release more. Plus one of the big problems with ADWD is that most of the big events they're building to got pushed back to TWOW so ideally you'd need that book done by early 2015 to use some of the payoff material for the 2016 season as you have outlined or some stories are gonna feel more incomplete then usual that season.

So yeah, the future production timeline is a mess.

Works perfectly fine the way they introduced him. Really meticulous show only fans will remember Ned sending out Dondarrion to bring Gregor Clegane to justice in season one. But if you missed this or did not remember he recalls it himself in this episode.

ASOS
The whole being revived from the dead part will be shown instead of told about, showing works better than telling and that's also why dropping some random name in a conversation between two characters sitting in King's Landing is pointless anyway.

FStop7

Banned
Has it ever been specified how much of the world is affected by winter? Does King's Landing resemble icy conditions at the Wall, or do they just get some snow? How about further south like Dorne or across the sea in Essos?

When I first started reading ASoIaF I envisioned the entire world basically becoming a frozen tundra for the duration of winter, but that doesn't seem to be true.

Fey

Banned
A few gifs I made ...

iboswQtjpZr5Na.gif

iGGvgBA7Jv75l.gif

i9lhabAciDSWQ.gif

iy7IcXfB0BuU7.gif

iFZuGhEcDjfno.gif

I want to make some of Dany's scene but I'm sure every second has been gif'd already. :p

I don't necessarily agree that the books don't prep you for Beric at all. IIRC, there are a number of characters or moments where rumors of Beric's death are discussed, along with the Brotherhood. The books make you aware that the Brotherhood exists and is a thorn in the side of "unjust" men; we didn't really get that in the show at all.
Beric becomes a mythic character by the time you reach the third book. You read just enough about him from multiple sources to recognize he's a badass, somewhat of an embodiment of Ned Stark's philosophy, and is bleeding the Lannisters. Plus his presence is surrounded by various rumors - is he dead, did he really escape, is he a demon, what are his true motive, etc.

There are a couple mentions of the Brotherhood in S2 but you hear nothing about Beric. So when he arrives on screen it's rather anti climatic, at least based on the other thread's reaction, twitter, and some non book reader friends I have. For all the time wasted in S2 doing nothing, you'd think there would be time for a couple dramatic exposition scenes with a Lannister guard discussing Beric in hushed tones, or Tywin lamenting the contradictory information his spies had on him, etc.

exYle

The problem there is Martin started the books in the early 90s and only planned one huge book initially that grew into 2, then 3 books.

I was under the impression that he was going to write a trilogy that turned into 4 and then 6 books.

Trasher

Someone needs to screencap or gif the Jorah and Barristan looking at each other moment.

"I saw her first, bro."

"Lawl, friendzoned."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i loved all the reaction shots of Jorah. Dude was ready to cum when Dany started speaking valyrian.

Did Jorah actually have any lines in that episode? I think he literally was just there and made a series of reaction faces
KuGsj.gif

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That Daenerys scene with the Unsullied (sp?) was freaking amazing :D

Hrothgar

Season is peaking up steam since episode 3!

The whole Theon/
Ramsay
thing really didn't work as well without the Winterfell related story stuff they cut out.

Do people who haven't read the books even know who he is? Should I spoiler his name? Censored it just in case.

Looking at the other GoT thread, non-book readers haven't the foggiest notion of who he is. It cracks me up :p

I was under the impression that he was going to write a trilogy that turned into 4 and then 6 books.
It started as a trilogy. ADWD was initially intended to be the second book, and Elio Garcia has confirmed he read ADWD chapters in 2001. Martin planned on doing a jump in time as many fans know, and the first book was originally planned to end halfway through ASOS. Instead he had to add books since the novels were too big; imagine if GoT featured the Blackwater battle at about the 75% mark, for instance.

I'm glad he scrapped that plan. Skipping large amounts of time after introducing memorable characters would be disappointing.

Last time we got an update, Martin had 400 ms pages of TWOW; that's about a fourth of where he's going (a little under 1600 ms). I'm assuming the book will be out in 2014 at the earliest, 2015 at the latest. Luckily he solved the issue that plagued the last two books so I'm relatively confident.

Brashnir

It started as a trilogy. ADWD was initially intended to be the second book, and Elio Garcia has confirmed he read ADWD chapters in 2001. Martin planned on doing a jump in time as many fans know, and the first book was originally planned to end halfway through ASOS. Instead he had to add books since the novels were too big; imagine if GoT featured the Blackwater battle at about the 75% mark, for instance.

I'm glad he scrapped that plan. Skipping large amounts of time after introducing memorable characters would be disappointing.

Last time we got an update, Martin had 400 ms pages of TWOW; that's about a fourth of where he's going (a little under 1600 ms). I'm assuming the book will be out in 2014 at the earliest, 2015 at the latest. Luckily he solved the issue that plagued the last two books so I'm relatively confident.

yeah, but in the end, 7 books makes sense. 7 Gods, 7 Great houses. 7 Books.

Serendipitous in that regard.

exYle

Yeah, this is roughly in line with my speculation from last page:

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Time skips drive me nuts since time skips tend to involve 500 pages of explaining stuff that occurred in the time skip. It would be really weird to do in the show too since while Bran and Arya have gotten older looking, its still pretty gradual.

Ikael

That would be AWESOME but unless GRRM gave D&D the secret roadmap to the last two books, we are going to be stuck

That's precisely my point: Martin have stated in many interviews that he already talked with D&D about where he wants to take the story and how he wants it to end. They do possess the secreat roadmap. They can (and in my opinion, should) rush the Daenerys plot, and if they have to put modified or downright invented material, go ahead with it, I say.

They did not hestiate to do it so in the past (Ayra VS Tywin, Theon's round trip, the whole Qarth plot, etc), and they did it in far less necessary points of the story. If there's a part that needs to be changed in order to make room for good TV, is exactly the knot, and we all know it. I do hope that D & D would have had to courage to do it so, purists be damned. The only thing needed in the knot was

to show how much of a shitty ruler Danerys is, which is something that can be shown in a far less cucumbersome fashion or just devoting one single chapter to Daenerys sitting her ass on the Harpy's throne before being deposed by a palace coup rather than a whole season devoted to learning Meerense old family names, for God's shake.

The whole "just add filler so Martin can catch up with the books" crowd are off their rockets. This needs to be good TV, first and foremost, being a good adaptation is just a mean to the aforementioned end.

Time skips drive me nuts since time skips tend to involve 500 pages of explaining stuff that occurred in the time skip. It would be really weird to do in the show too since while Bran and Arya have gotten older looking, its still pretty gradual.
Agreed. While there are things in the last book that probably would have been best skipped in a time jump, ultimately it would have felt cheap to make such a large jump after the events of ASOS. And you're right, it would just lead to lots of "I remember it like it was yesterday..." exposition.

ultron87

Yeah, I don't know why people think it's going somewhere specific beyond it just being a running gag that took up all of 30 seconds in the last two episodes.

I'm not unhappy about it or anything since those scenes have been entertaining, but I'd like it even more if was part of some grand scheme.

Team Dany for the win. She has her army, she has her Dragons and she sails for Westeros.

Yay? (series)
Or so you would think...

Not necessarily... it only took a few pages to (series)
get everyone caught up with Theon
and that could be considered a time jump simply based on the characters absence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom