• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

exYle

I agreement. Also that little piece of shit. His casting is perfect.

The worse is Margaery Tyrell, I don't know why they make her so much older and uglier. So ugly.

I would gladly kill you to have the chance to sleep with Natalie Dormer. Gladly.

One of the big reasons I also hate Catelyn is how judgemental she is of others. Other characters are, but Catelyn takes the cake. How she judged Robert's bastard at the Eyrie? She treats Tyrion like shit just came his last name starts with L. I think she's a bitch because she is emotionally desparate in her cause to judge someone but always fails to look at her and her own families actions. She's a hypocrite basically, and I thought the monologue Jamie gives her while in prison was a wonderful dressing down. Because he was so right.

Then again I hate all Tully's aside from Blackfish.

Yeah, this always bothered me about her too. So self righteous.

Also, Natalie Dormer is hot, especially when she's not doing that weird face.

I dunno. ASOS
It seems odd to place the North's loss squarely on Catelyn's shoulders. You say things would've been different if she had not released Jaime. True. But things would have played differently if Edmure hadn't fucked up, and allowed Tywin's forces to save King's Landing from Stannis. Things would have been different if Robb hadn't idiotically broken his marriage vows. What makes her folly so much worse than there's?
ASOS/ADWD
Edmure basically won the War of the Five Kings for the Lannisters; if he had followed directions Stannis would have almost certainly won the Battle of the Blackwater. That blunder saved the Lannisters, allowing them to continue dealing with the Starks; Catelyn released Jaime after Edmure's folly though.

The reason I'd argue she lost the war for the North is because releasing Jaime forfeited Robb's life. People focus so much on Robb's idiotic marriage but the most important factor in the betrayal was the Boltons. Lord Bolton was convinced Robb couldn't win not because of the Frey shit, but because of the Winterfell sack and the release of Jaime. It was Bolton who sent the northern army to Duskendale, falsely advertised as Robb's decree, in order to show his loyalty to Tywin. It's hard to argue Bolton would make the same decision if Jaime was still in chains and Robb was on the march to re-capture Winterfell. Likewise it's unlikely Tywin would agree to any attempt on Robb's life while Jaime was in custody; he'd be forfeiting his heir's life.

The original plan was for an errant arrow to kill Robb, but the Freys escalated the plan out of stupidity - without Bolton on their side, I don't believe the Freys would have been ballsy enough to pull the trigger; there's no evidence of them making major decisions unless they were safe, and without the Boltons any attempt on Robb would be foolish.

As I said earlier I don't think the North could have outright defeated the Lannisters/Tyrells, but if Robb had made it back north he would largely be untouchable. Winter was coming, Tywin was dead, and the south was being flanked by the Iron Born and later Aegon. It's very unlikely that Cersei, once again made Queen Reagent, would even consider sending Lannister troops out of the city to march north while Mace Tyrell's army occupied King's Landing. Robb at Winterfell wouldn't be an immediate threat to the crown.

Fantastic ending to the 4th episode.

Book spoilers -
The ending reminded me how great her storyline was at one point. Even on TV, you look at that and go "FUCK YEAH! She is on her way over to Westeros to fuck shit up and sort shit out. People are gonna get got." But then, it just goes nowhere. For like 3 goddamn books, it goes nowhere.

That was the last good bit Dany had in the entire series IMO. Now prepare for 3 season of just absolutely fucking nothing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Another thing about Catelyn's one major mistake is that (ASOS/ADWD spoiler):
it effectively lost the war for the North. Edmure's folly certainly lost the war from a military perspective, but it's hard to see Tywin instigating plans to assassinate Robb if Jaime was still in Stark hands. Considering Robb's plan was to head north and re-capture Winterfell and his lost territory, it would have been very hard for the Lannisters to defeat him; the Riverlands would be fucked, but the Lannisters couldn't capture the North. He could have replenished his army significantly and acquired ships (White Harbor) just as the Iron Born began assaulting the south. And if he held out long enough...Aegon would arrive in the south to further split Lannister/Tyrell forces.

While I don't think he could have outright won, he might have been able to sue for peace (exchanging Jaime for Sansa).

Man, you could point to almost any individual event and successfully argue it was the catalyst for all of the events in the book/show.

Man, you could point to almost any individual event and successfully argue it was the catalyst for all of the events in the book/show.

(AGOT/ACOK)
Aemon Targaryen refusing the throne and giving it to Egg instead

Or (Dunk & Egg 1)
everything involving Dunk/the puppet girl/Baelor Breakspear/Aerion

Its amazing how intricate the chain of events is. It goes even further back probably.

Inversive

I agreement. Also that little piece of shit. His casting is perfect.

The worse is Margaery Tyrell, I don't know why they make her so much older and uglier. So ugly.

I find her irresistible, dat cleavage every ep! She has a very unique face, I guess it's a love or hate situation. Still, unique->generic.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Fantastic ending to the 4th episode.

Book spoilers -
That was the last good bit Dany had in the entire series IMO. Now prepare for 3 season of just absolutely fucking nothing.

What about (ADWD)
when she tames Drogon amidst all the chaos of the slave arena and hops onto his back and flies way up into the sky? That moment was fucking awesome.

It's weird that Catelyn would be labeled a "dumb bitch" for making what could be considered a poor decision, in a story filled with main characters who make poor decisions left and right.

I don't know, I think between being an ass to John and any other bastard, arresting Tyrion and starting a war, trusting Littlefinger with the life of her Stark husband despite that fact that last time she saw him is when he was willing to throw his life away to a Stark because he was so obsessed over her, and releasing Jamie she's pretty much made the most dumb decisions resulting in the most dire consequences for her family out of any character in the books.

One of the big reasons I also hate Catelyn is how judgemental she is of others. Other characters are, but Catelyn takes the cake. How she judged Robert's bastard at the Eyrie? She treats Tyrion like shit just because his last name starts with L. I think she's a bitch because she is emotionally desparate in her cause to judge someone but always fails to look at her and her own families actions. She's a hypocrite basically, and I thought the monologue Jamie gives her while in prison was a wonderful dressing down. Because he was so right.

Let me start by saying I am not defending Catelyn's actions at all (although again, I am more of the mind that she is not stupid, but rather grief stricken and it is affecting her judgement)

With that said I can't say I agree with the bolded... She treats Tyrion like shit because she thinks he is responsible for hiring a mercenary to kill Bran in his sleep... This so called mercenary almost killed her in the process.

It isn't like she immediately realizes that Tyrion is telling the truth when he says he had nothing to do with it.

In this regard, the entire series exists because of (asos)
Littlefinger persuading Lysa to poison jon. If Jon Arryn was never murdered, the caravan would never have come to winterfell (at least at that moment) and Bran would never have been shoved out of a window, and Catelyn would never have pressured Ned into going to Kings Landing in the first place to find out the truth.
What a different series this would be...

AFFC -
Oh lord, Cersei's descent into madness is wonderful. Her handfucking her servant and trying to be like Robert was hilariously awesome. Shes built herself a house of cards and I cant wait for it all to come crashing down.

ZeroRay

(AGOT/ACOK)
Aemon Targaryen refusing the throne and giving it to Egg instead

Or (Dunk & Egg 1)
everything involving Dunk/the puppet girl/Baelor Breakspear/Aerion

Its amazing how intricate the chain of events is. It goes even further back probably.

GRRM recently finished a short story taking place during the original Dance of Dragons so we'll see the curtain pulled back some more. I think the anthology containing it will be published later this year.

Also, Natalie Dormer is hot, especially when she's not doing that weird face.

I find her irresistible, dat cleavage every ep! She has a very unique face, I guess it's a love or hate situation. Still, unique->generic.

Yeah, she's hot and all when you're just looking at a picture, but she's better in motion. The way she carries herself and emotes and everything- she's just very disarming and oozes sensuality when she wants to.

Reyne

One of the big reasons I also hate Catelyn is how judgemental she is of others. Other characters are, but Catelyn takes the cake. How she judged Robert's bastard at the Eyrie? She treats Tyrion like shit just because his last name starts with L. I think she's a bitch because she is emotionally desparate in her cause to judge someone but always fails to look at her and her own families actions. She's a hypocrite basically, and I thought the monologue Jamie gives her while in prison was a wonderful dressing down. Because he was so right.

In case of book spoilers:
Your own judgment and hate of Catelyn is in itself rather ironic. She reacted negatively when she found out Mya Stone was a bastard, true ( but she didn't treat her any less after the fact, and actually had some respect for her ), but only because she reminded her of Jon whom I might add is being treated way better than is the societal norm. She comes from a family whose very word is "Family, Duty, Honor.", something I think she did not fail in any way.
Now looking from the perspective of her society and her own situation, I dare say Catelyn is quite a tolerant person. True, she grudged Jon his presence, but only because she felt he represented Ned's betrayal of duty and honor. And Ned treated Catelyn very coldly where Jon was concerned, not allowing any questions or anything, which must have placed seeds of self-doubt in Catelyn. At the end of the day, Jon still got raised very closely with his siblings.
Cersei had wanted Robert's bastard put to death, and I think, she once mentioned she found it weird Catelyn put up with Neds bastard. That was more in the line of the societal norm.

And she doesn't treats Tyrion like shit just because his last name starts with L. She treats him as her hostage because she has been told this man is responsible for the assassination attempt behind her son. And Tyrion does carry a reputation of being cunning, so obviously she wouldn't trust him right off the bat when he proclaims his innocence. However, she does start to reconsider the situation as she listens to Tyrion's reasoning, however, it was already to late, once they entered the Vale, and Tyrion fell into Lysa's hands.

And at the end of the day, she did set Jaime 'The Kingslayer' Lannister loose, who is notoriously without honor, praying he would honor their agreement of freeing her children. That, even after Jaime confessed he had flung Bran out the window. Not exactly clever, though she was, shall we say, 'emotionally desperate' after having been told her sons Bran and Rickon were dead. But we know from Jaime POV that he intended to honor their agreement, even if no one else expected it.

FStop7

Banned
The Mountain 2.0 looks so wrong for the role.

Watching football on a Sunday afternoon at GRRM's house must be surreal.

I imagine this den full of a mixture of naval relics (because he looks like an old sea captain) and fantasy props. In the middle of the room is a high, wing backed leather chair. Next to it is a small table on which sits a large ashtray full of stubbed out cigar butts, a bottle of Jameson, and a half empty glass. And GRRM sits in the chair, polishing a gigantic sword, while angrily swearing at the TV. For 12 hours straight.

Once football is over he switches to HBO and watches that night's episode of GoT. He grumbles a lot and rewatches all the scenes with tits.

meijiko

In case of book spoilers:
Your own judgment and hate of Catelyn is in itself rather ironic. She reacted negatively when she found out Mya Stone was a bastard, true ( but she didn't treat her any less after the fact, and actually had some respect for her ), but only because she reminded her of Jon whom I might add is being treated way better than is the societal norm. She comes from a family whose very word is "Family, Duty, Honor.", something I think she did not fail in any way.
Now looking from the perspective of her society and her own situation, I dare say Catelyn is quite a tolerant person. True, she grudged Jon his presence, but only because she felt he represented Ned's betrayal of duty and honor. And Ned treated Catelyn very coldly where Jon was concerned, not allowing any questions or anything, which must have placed seeds of self-doubt in Catelyn. At the end of the day, Jon still got raised very closely with his siblings.
Cersei had wanted Robert's bastard put to death, and I think, she once mentioned she found it weird Catelyn put up with Neds bastard. That was more in the line of the societal norm.

And she doesn't treats Tyrion like shit just because his last name starts with L. She treats him as her hostage because she has been told this man is responsible for the assassination attempt behind her son. And Tyrion does carry a reputation of being cunning, so obviously she wouldn't trust him right off the bat when he proclaims his innocence. However, she does start to reconsider the situation as she listens to Tyrion's reasoning, however, it was already to late, once they entered the Vale, and Tyrion fell into Lysa's hands.

And at the end of the day, she did set Jaime 'The Kingslayer' Lannister loose, who is notoriously without honor, praying he would honor their agreement of freeing her children. That, even after Jaime confessed he had flung Bran out the window. Not exactly clever, though she was, shall we say, 'emotionally desperate' after having been told her sons Bran and Rickon were dead. But we know from Jaime POV that he intended to honor their agreement, even if no one else expected it.

She is judgmental, though. It's part of her character. I have no qualms with her decisions as a desperate mother, but in the second book
she goes on and on about how unfortunate Brienne is for being so ugly.
It may make sense based on her upbringing, or the events of her life, but having good reasoning does not make it any less true.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

You can really only point to three events...

Series
Catelyn's arrest of Tyrion sent the Lannister's into a frenzy, it cause the injury of Eddard, and who knows what he might have been able to do had he been mobile during that time. This also eventually led tot eh series of events causing his death, and the war.

You can look back further to Lysa poisoning her husband, and blaming it on the Lannisters, and this of course was all arranged by Littlefinger. But even then, Cat's rash decision was the main focal point. Lysa's actions alone didn't cause Cat's decision, it was the combination of Lysa's lies, and the attempted murder of Bran that led to everything.

And that reminds me of a book to show change I was wondering about from S2

Why did the show make sure to point out that it was Jeoffrey that sent soldiers after Robert's bastards, where the books make it clear that it was Cersei's doing?

tino

Banned
natalie-dormer-mtr-006.jpg

Yeah, she's hideous...

There is no amount of Professionally lighthning and Photoshopery can make this woman look good.

Let me explain to you
* face features all out of proportion. Chin too tiny, nose too long, too close to mouth etc etc
* Not a sweet face. She look old,like 28-30, and she act even older, like a 35 old woman. I haven't checked imdb but I wouldn't be surprised if she is 35.
* Wrong actress for the part. Margaery is supposed to be a a very innocent and young maiden, at least from the outside. She look all kind of calculating and manipulating just from her neck up. This severely undermind that "surprise" thing and also the incoming conflict between her and Cersei.

edit: this is supposed to be a cheese cake Equire Magazine shoot? And she still can't smile properly.

Yonafunu

You can really only point to three events...

Series
Catelyn's arrest of Tyrion sent the Lannister's into a frenzy, it cause the injury of Eddard, and who knows what he might have been able to do had he been mobile during that time. This also eventually led tot eh series of events causing his death, and the war.

You can look back further to Lysa poisoning her husband, and blaming it on the Lannisters, and this of course was all arranged by Littlefinger. But even then, Cat's rash decision was the main focal point. Lysa's actions alone didn't cause Cat's decision, it was the combination of Lysa's lies, and the attempted murder of Bran that led to everything.

And that reminds me of a book to show change I was wondering about from S2

Why did the show make sure to point out that it was Jeoffrey that sent soldiers after Robert's bastards, where the books make it clear that it was Cersei's doing?

But you said it yourself, it's all because
Lysa Arryn poisened Jon Arryn, whereafter Robert came to Winterfell and started the whole shitstorm. Bran was injured at Winterfell, which prompted Catelyn to go look for the culprit, which lead her to Littlefinger and then to Tyrion.
None of this would have happened if Littlefinger hasn't talked Lysa into killing Jon Arryn. It's all because of Littlefinger. Everything.

About Joffrey sending the soldiers instead of Cersei, it's part of the show's decision to make Joffrey even more evil and deranged than in the books. Just like when they added the scene with him making the whores beat each other. It's making him even easier to hate, while at the same time showing how out of control he is, even for Cersei.
And to be fair, he wasn't nearly as crazy in the books, if I recall correctly. He was just an amazingly irritating, arrogant little asshole, but he wasn't crazy.
Right?

EDIT:

* face features all out of proportion. Chin too tiny, nose too long, too close to mouth etc etc
* Not a sweet face. She look old,like 28-30, and she act even older, like a 35 old woman. I haven't checked imdb but I wouldn't be surprised if she is 35.
* Wrong actress for the part. Margaery is supposed to be a a very innocent and young maiden, at least from the outside. She look all kind of calculating and manipulating just from her neck up. This severely undermind that "surprise" thing and also the incoming conflict between her and Cersei.

2/10 would not bang

To be fair, almost all the characters are more sympathetic compared to their book counterparts. This has somewhat ruined the Jaime stuff.

Jaime
becomes a much more sympathetic figure later on. He becomes an example of a Lannister who isn't completely intolerable (other than Tyrion). And that really starts when he gets his hand cut off and continues upon his return to King's Landing.

Timbuktu

Margaery is supposed to be a a very innocent and young maiden, at least from the outside. She look all kind of calculating and manipulating just from her neck up. This severely undermind that "surprise" thing and also the incoming conflict between her and Cersei.
She is like a less extreme version of Lily Cole. the clothes do flattered her (she didn't look that amazing when she look them off last season), but the quoted part i agree with, her face does give the game away, her ambitions and intentions too easy to read.

Apath

The Mountain 2.0 looks so wrong for the role.
The Mountain from season one was much better.
Jaime
becomes a much more sympathetic figure later on. He becomes an example of a Lannister who isn't completely intolerable (other than Tyrion). And that really starts when he gets his hand cut off and continues upon his return to King's Landing.
The only intolerable Lannisters are Cersei and Joffrey. Jaime, Tyrion, Tywin, and Kevan are all great.

RaidenZR

There is no amount of Professionally lighthning and Photoshopery can make this woman look good.

Let me explain to you

edit: this is supposed to be a cheese cake Equire Magazine shoot? And she still can't smile properly.

Who the hell are you? Governor of all that is symmetrical and proportional?

But you said it yourself, it's all because
Lysa Arryn poisened Jon Arryn, whereafter Robert came to Winterfell and started the whole shitstorm. Bran was injured at Winterfell, which prompted Catelyn to go look for the culprit, which lead her to Littlefinger and then to Tyrion.
None of this would have happened if Littlefinger hasn't talked Lysa into killing Jon Arryn. It's all because of Littlefinger. Everything.

About Joffrey sending the soldiers instead of Cersei, it's part of the show's decision to make Joffrey even more evil and deranged than in the books. Just like when they added the scene with him making the whores beat each other. It's making him even easier to hate, while at the same time showing how out of control he is, even for Cersei.
And to be fair, he wasn't nearly as crazy in the books, if I recall correctly. He was just an amazingly irritating, arrogant little asshole, but he wasn't crazy.
Right?

(Series)
if Aerys doesn't inherit the throne through Aegon V then Robert never becomes king and none of that shit happens. If Aemon takes the throne instead of Aegon he could have lived a long life and still been on the throne at the time when A Game of Thrones takes place

Going further back (Dunk & Egg - The Hedge Knight)
If Baelor Breakspear doesn't choose to fight on Dunk's side, history would have been changed from that moment on. If the puppet girl is doing any of her other shows besides the one about a knight slaying a dragon at the moment Aerion Targaryen walks past her stall, he doesn't rage out and break her finger causing Dunk to go berserk and kick the guy in the face. if Dunk doesn't waltz into Ashford to participate in the tournament then he never sees any of it and none of it happens, he doesn't get thrown in a cell and pushed into a trial of seven, Baelor possibly becomes king eventually, etc... Basically it seems like the events of Hedge Knight are this perfect storm that lays the foundation for EVERYTHING that happens afterwards.

It's just a big ass chaotic chain of events that eventually leads to the war of the five kings and everything else that happens. If one event happens differently then everything might have been avoided. Or maybe it could have turned out even worse. I think that's one of the things I love about this series, the history is so rich and intricate that it seems like something that could actually happen.

I wish I still had a copy of the book with the Hedge Knight in it. I'd love to read it again.

I used to always see hardcover copies of Dreamsongs Vol II in the discount sections of bookstores for like 8 bucks. I think it's available on kindle too, or Legends is at least. I can't wait for the compilation to come out though, I don't have hard copies of the others

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Right?

ASOS
Turns out he was the one to send the assassin after Bran, for no reason then to impress Robert.

I used to always see hardcover copies of Dreamsongs Vol II in the discount sections of bookstores for like 8 bucks. I think it's available on kindle too, or Legends is at least. I can't wait for the compilation to come out though, I don't have hard copies of the others

Yeah, Legends isn't too expensive on Amazon. I may have to get it again. I have the graphic novel, and while pretty good, it's just not the same.

Yonafunu

(Series)
if Aerys doesn't inherit the throne through Aegon V then Robert never becomes king and none of that shit happens. If Aemon takes the throne instead of Aegon he could have lived a long life and still been on the throne at the time when A Game of Thrones takes place

Going further back (Dunk & Egg - The Hedge Knight)
If Baelor Breakspear doesn't choose to fight on Dunk's side, history would have been changed from that moment on. If the puppet girl is doing any of her other shows besides the one about a knight slaying a dragon at the moment Aerion Targaryen walks past her stall, he doesn't rage out and break her finger causing Dunk to go berserk and kick the guy in the face. if Dunk doesn't waltz into Ashford to participate in the tournament then he never sees any of it and none of it happens. Basically it seems like the events of Hedge Knight are this perfect storm that lays the foundation for EVERYTHING that happens afterwards.

It's just a big ass chaotic chain of events that eventually leads to the war of the five kings and everything else that happens. If one event happens differently then everything might have been avoided. Or maybe it could have turned out even worse. I think that's one of the things I love about this series, the history is so rich and intricate that it seems like something that could actually happen.

Well, yeah, if we go all the way back, then
The Doom of Valyria is basically the foundation to everything
, but that's going too far of course.
I stayed within the confines of AGOT for a reason :)
And to be fair,
Littlefinger (indirectly) poisoning Jon Arryn, and his whole motivation for starting this shitstorm in the first place doesn't have anything to do with the Targaryens, Robert, or any of that stuff, so it's not really fair to include all of that in the story. The main plot of AGOT started because of one man's greed, which had nothing to do with everything that came before it. It was a personal thing. As far as we know, of course.

EDIT:

ASOS
Turns out he was the one to send the assassin after Bran, for no reason then to impress Robert.

Well yeah but ASOS
that's not really crazy. You said it yourself, he wasnts to impress his father the King, who never really paid attention to him. He's a thirteen year old kid, for crying out loud, not to mention he's incredibly spoiled and arrogant.
I don't think what he did was crazy, just incredibly reckless, stupid and all that jazz.
It sure as hell wasn't on the same level as the stuff he does in the show.

Jarmel

Banned
Jaime

That's my point.

hoos30

It's weird that Catelyn would be labeled a "dumb bitch" for making what could be considered a poor decision, in a story filled with main characters who make poor decisions left and right.
To be fair, Ned would also be considered a Dumb ass by many.

TheExodu5

Banned
Natalie Dormer has a unique look to her, for sure. I think she's quite attractive, and her unique looks are added attraction to me.

She looked great in The Tudors:

Vk2xtoZ.jpg

Loofy

I pictured Margaery to be more younger looking, like Willa Holland. But Im guessing Holland would have a terrible english accent. I still like Natalie Dorner though.
Jaime
This is why I like how the show handled Jaime from the start. In the first season he had the conversation with tywin about how he couldnt kill ned because he still valued his honor, this didnt exist in the book and it showed us how he still had some good in him. In the book it was all so abrupt, he went from Mr.Incest to oh look he actually has a heart.

exYle

Let me explain to you

butthurt-dweller-meme-generator-sharp-knees-wouldn-t-bang-a9a6ab.jpg

EDIT: Damn blocked URLs

And to be fair,
Littlefinger (indirectly) poisoning Jon Arryn, and his whole motivation for starting this shitstorm in the first place doesn't have anything to do with the Targaryens, Robert, or any of that stuff, so it's not really fair to include all of that in the story. The main plot of AGOT started because of one man's greed, which had nothing to do with everything that came before it. It was a personal thing. As far as we know, of course.

Yeah thats true. I just really love thinking about this stuff and how differently things might have turned out. Also I just finished rereading THK last night and I wanted to talk about it. It's really interesting and impressive to me how all of these tiny events hundreds of years prior to the first book tie into what eventually goes down in the main series.

meijiko

Let me explain to you

I like her. There's something kind of ethereal about her face. Definitely not a classic beauty, but her uniqueness is quite alluring.

Enosh

series

The monumental stupidity of the Tully children... it really doesn't sink in with you until you step back and look at the big picture.
ASOS
to be fair robb could have just told him the damn plan but he didn't for some never explained reason, at least I don't remember it ever being explained why he didn't just go "yo uncle, don't attack him I'm luring him into a trap kk?"

the again he is Cats son...

Loofy

ASOS
to be fair robb could have just told him the damn plan but he didn't for some never explained reason, at least I don't remember it ever being explained why he didn't just go "yo uncle, don't attack him I'm luring him into a trap kk?"

the again he is Cats son...
I think there was alot of emphasis in the book about how crows were being intercepted and shot down from left to right so it might have been dangerous to send a message. I cant really remember though.

And to be fair,

EDIT:

Well yeah but ASOS
that's not really crazy. You said it yourself, he wasnts to impress his father the King, who never really paid attention to him. He's a thirteen year old kid, for crying out loud, not to mention he's incredibly spoiled and arrogant.
I don't think what he did was crazy, just incredibly reckless, stupid and all that jazz.
It sure as hell wasn't on the same level as the stuff he does in the show.

Please fix your tag above :)

Eidan

ASOS/ADWD
Edmure basically won the War of the Five Kings for the Lannisters; if he had followed directions Stannis would have almost certainly won the Battle of the Blackwater. That blunder saved the Lannisters, allowing them to continue dealing with the Starks; Catelyn released Jaime after Edmure's folly though.

The reason I'd argue she lost the war for the North is because releasing Jaime forfeited Robb's life. People focus so much on Robb's idiotic marriage but the most important factor in the betrayal was the Boltons. Lord Bolton was convinced Robb couldn't win not because of the Frey shit, but because of the Winterfell sack and the release of Jaime. It was Bolton who sent the northern army to Duskendale, falsely advertised as Robb's decree, in order to show his loyalty to Tywin. It's hard to argue Bolton would make the same decision if Jaime was still in chains and Robb was on the march to re-capture Winterfell. Likewise it's unlikely Tywin would agree to any attempt on Robb's life while Jaime was in custody; he'd be forfeiting his heir's life.

The original plan was for an errant arrow to kill Robb, but the Freys escalated the plan out of stupidity - without Bolton on their side, I don't believe the Freys would have been ballsy enough to pull the trigger; there's no evidence of them making major decisions unless they were safe, and without the Boltons any attempt on Robb would be foolish.

As I said earlier I don't think the North could have outright defeated the Lannisters/Tyrells, but if Robb had made it back north he would largely be untouchable. Winter was coming, Tywin was dead, and the south was being flanked by the Iron Born and later Aegon. It's very unlikely that Cersei, once again made Queen Reagent, would even consider sending Lannister troops out of the city to march north while Mace Tyrell's army occupied King's Landing. Robb at Winterfell wouldn't be an immediate threat to the crown.

ASOS
You make a good point that the release of Jaime made Robb's life forfeit, but the circumstances of Bolton's defection includes not just the sack of Winterfell or Jaime's release, but Stannis's defeat, and the insurmountable odds the North faced in the Lannister/Tyrell alliance. Again, I think it's unfair to place the blame of the North's loss on Catelyn. The North lost due to several miscalculations and bad decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom