• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that'll always look good

PD Orta doesn't look very good to me, to be honest. Especially compared to the other games shown in this thread. This game is my pick (excuse the bad screen):

m-zelda115_gcn_ss5-jpg.jpg

Wind Waker has technical merits as well as artistic style dripping from every single object and area in the game.

Koshiro

A bunch of 2D games from the Megadrive/SNES days.

NiGHTS (whoever said it looks shit is a retard - I was just playing it)

Sonic R on Saturn still looks fucking good, I was amazed to discover.

Soul Calibur

Shenmue 1/2

Viewtiful Joe will last an eternity.

Jet Set Radio

Rez, Rez, Rez, Rez, Rez.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how I forgot about Orta. A year and a half later and I still consider it the finest looking game on the market.

snaildog

Marconelly said:
Hmm, SC and Zelda:OOT really have no place on that list, IMO.

- Another World
- Yoshi's Island
Holy crap, I was gonna make a hardcore elitist post about Another World, but it gets mentioned in the 3rd post.

DCX

DCX
- Rayman
- Resident Evil: Remake
- Resident Evil: Zero
- Guilty Gear X
- Yoshi's Island
- Ninja Gaiden
- Mega Man

DCX

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Most of the games posted in the thread dont even look good now...and theres a been a glairing oversight...

zoe2-3.jpg

zoe2-2.jpg

Bog

Junior Ace
T-1000_Model3 said:
Somebody get some Jet Force Gemni shots up here. That game was one of the best looking games in the 32/64 bit era.

Best joke post of the day.

novery

Badabing said:
QUAKE 1
quake.jpg

COMMAND AND CONQUER: RED ALERT 2
redalert2.jpg

DUKE NUKEM 3D
rouse3.jpg

Yeah... You know, I'm going to kinda have to disagree with ya there...

duke.jpg

With it's crappy 2D sprites, I thought Duke Nukem 3D looked bad from the day it came out.

-rp

madara

Sweet mercy! You guys are making me want to load up game on my snes. Talk about system that just keeps on giving. Lets hope all these newly announced DS games are also sweet 2d masterpieces and not 3d models in 2d setting.

A lot of 16-bit era stuff and 2d in general.

Games that stick out in my mind are Rayman and SF3: 3rd Strike.

The 3d games of this generation will be able to hold up in the future IMO. These days things are modeled nicely w/ nice amounts of polys. The previous generation was fugly in general, which is why I think very little from it holds up today.

That said, I've been replaying FF7 over the last couple of weeks and have been able to tolerate the gfx. Most of that is due to it's use of prerendered backrounds. The in battle gfx aren't bad either.

Gamedude

whaa that game Saga Frontier II has a very nice art. o_O (never saw screens from this game before)
Gets a 72% avg rat. @ Gamerankings, now... I know this is off-topic but it's too litle to make a new topic for this... I was wondering, is this game worth to buy?
What about the story & battle system? thanks!

Anyway, back on topic: games that allways look good are for sure

* Viewtiful Joe
* ICO !!
* Zelda: The WindWaker (specially the face-expresses)
* Rez
* Panzer Dragoon: Orta
* Jet Set Radio (Future)

Littleberu said:
I think Mario 64 is still holding up quite well.

Super_Mario_64_(E)_%5B!%5D.gif

Yep. Eight years later (God, that's hard to believe) and the game still looks great. I so wish that I could go back and relive the first time playing through that game.

My contribution to this thread has to be Space Quest V. Oh, how I loved that game. Mind you, these graphics were 320x240 VGA. 256 colors. Damn.

sie_sq5_ss1.jpg

sie_sq5_ss2.jpg

sie_sq5_ss3.jpg

sie_sq5_ss4.jpg

sie_sq5_ss5.jpg

sie_sq5_ss6.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Not ONE listed Daytona II, Super GT, Vampire Savior or SFIII :(

+1 for mentioning Parodius.

One game that seems to have done an incredibly good job of looking good despite its age is Volition's Freespace 2. 6+ years and it still looks great.

nitewulf

blazing star:

blazing_star.png

guilty gear x:

ggx05.jpg

gunstar heroes:

gunstar4.gif

shinobi 3:

shinobi3-b.jpg

PDO

3.jpg

guwange

guwange.png

and also chrono trigger, ico, out of this world/another world

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Astal (even though the game is kind of lame), Legend of Mana (ditto), SaGa Frontier 2, Rez, ICO look absolutely gorgeous and timeless

Seiken Densetsu 3:

sd3-27.gif

sd3-32.gif

Tales of Phantasia PSX:

top-15.jpg

Valkyrie Profile:

vp-05.jpg

Radiant Silvergun:

radiantsilvergun_2.jpg

Bauer Action Hour said:
A lot of 16-bit era stuff and 2d in general.

Games that stick out in my mind are Rayman and SF3: 3rd Strike.

The 3d games of this generation will be able to hold up in the future IMO. These days things are modeled nicely w/ nice amounts of polys. The previous generation was fugly in general, which is why I think very little from it holds up today.

That said, I've been replaying FF7 over the last couple of weeks and have been able to tolerate the gfx. Most of that is due to it's use of prerendered backrounds. The in battle gfx aren't bad either.

IAWTP.

Most PSX/N64 games are so fugly by today's standards. I can barely play them. Mario 64 is one exception because it uses such simple primary colours and doesn't give off that muddy/blurry look that most N64 games now have. And man does it still hold up in the gameplay department. Just finished it with 120 stars recently. Man it was great.

Most SNES/Genesis (MegaDrive!) hold up pretty good. And I think this generation of games will hold up pretty good.

eso76

forgottn.png

I remember seeing this exact same picture from the arcade version in the 1st or 2nd issue of TGM, more than 15 years ago. I instantly fell in love with those colors, details, artstyle (capcom pixel artist were by far the best back then. By FAR).
I didn't have the chance to see forgotten worlds till many years later (i believe it was 1994 ?) and came away extremely impressed, even after having seen stuff like Ridge Racer and Neo Geo games in the arcades...
awesome stuff.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Ocarina of Time -- especially when played in high-res on the GC -- still looks gorgeous. I think some of the people who don't think so are taking the graphics the current gen machines are capable of producing for granted. ^_^

And I'm shocked this game wasn't mentioned yet. Don't tell me it will ever stop looking fucking fantastic:
biohazard006.jpg

Still one of the best-looking games of all time, IMO.

FnordChan

I spent some time thinking about how far you could really take the "always look good" premise, which led me to head over to the Killer List of Video Games and look at all the screenshots they had available for videogames made in the 1970s. And, I came to the conclusion...

...that most of them look pretty awful, yeah.

But, there are a few games that hold up relatively well, and several others that have their highpoints, even if they aren't terribly exciting overall. Here are some pics and comments:

wPong.png

Pong (1972) - It's already been pimped, but we have to acknowledge the granddaddy of 'em all. Pong doesn't have graphics so much as it has minimalist art; Tony Smith would love this game. Pong is pure abstract beauty.

yDesert_Gun.png
xDesert_Gun.png

Desert Gun (1977) - The graphics aren't what you would call exciting, but this game understands two important things. First, if you can't make your graphics hyper-realistic, make them amusingly cartoony. And, second, the phrase "MISSED AGAIN DUMMY" goes a long way. I also like the "WAM!" quite a bit.

vFire_Truck.png
yFire_Truck.png

Fire Truck (1978) - This is similar to Desert Gun, in that the basic graphics aren't great, but it has a couple of things going for it. First off, whoever decided to invert the colors when you crashed was a genius. Second, whoever worked up the "CRUNCH" exclamation deserved a raise.

vAtari_Football.png
zFootball.png

Atari Football (1978) - Atari's other sports games from the period look pretty rough, mostly because they try to actually draw little guys on a baseball field or whatnot. However, with Atari Football, they don't even bother, thus the immortal X's and O's design scheme. What else do you need? Also, the Atari logo is one of the graphic design triumphs of the second half of the 20th Century.

vSpace_Invaders.png
xSpace_Invaders.png

Space Invaders (1978) - This is a true classic for a reason...the game is awesome, even to this day. But, it goes beyond mere gameplay (and having Port/Starboard instead of Left/Right buttons). The white/green/red color scheme is terrific, and also manages to inspire menace instead of Christmas. But, the real strength of Space Invaders are the aliens:

Invaders.jpg

They're not just icons on a screen - they're friggin' art. If anyone here has ever played Space Invaders pinball, you'll remember the terrific art on the playfield, which has two distinct features: critters and backgrounds ripped directly from H.R. Geiger's designs for Aliens, and pixel-style drawings of the aliens from Space Invaders. They're some of the most iconic images ever to come out of videogames and I want to decorate my living room with them.

vSuper_Breakout.png
wSuper_Breakout.png

Super Breakout (1978) - Solid blocks of color may not provide the most subtle, sophisticated graphics ever, but they sure do look nice. If Pong is a minimalist game, then this is a modernist's delight. It's the sort of thing Piet Mondrian would design. Okay, actually this is, but he'd probably like Super Breakout, too.

xSpeed_Freak.png
wSpeed_Freak.png

Speed Freak (1978) - Vector graphics make everything look better, especially racing games. Atari's Night Driver tries for a similar effect, but is positively lame in comparison. I love the undulating road stretching off into the horizon, the cars coming your way look pretty damn great, and the cow friggin' rules. Years from now, Ridge Racer will look like ass because it's graphics, realistic for the time, just haven't held up, but Speed Freak will still have a goofy, abstract charm to it.

wAsteroids.png

Asteroids (1979) - Vector graphics make everything look better, round 2. If nothing else, the jagged edges of the asteroids themselves are memorable as all hell, and the design of your spaceship is perfect: a triangle with a curve in the back to give you bitchin' 50s style fins and bullets coming out of the pointy bit in the front. And if you think it still isn't that exciting, you should see the neon glow of a vector game in the dark. Wow.

zSpace_War_(Leijac).png
xSpace_War_(Leijac).png

Space War (Leijac) (1979) - This is great for a few reasons. First off, the head-to-head style has a sort of asymetrical charm to it in action. Second, I like how the laser is just a single line attached to your ship, which looks bizzare in still photos. And, third, I really dig the Japanese phone number at the beginning of the game.

Finally, the maser of them all:

vPuck_Man.png
xPuck_Man.png

Puckman (1979) - Pac-Man didn't make it to the US until 1980, but in the final days of the 1970s, Japan bore witness to the most popular game of all time. Hellraizah, Astal looks nice and all, but it is not the king. It isn't even remotely the king. Puckman is the motherfucking ruler of the universe. 'Nuff said.

FnordChan

Top Bottom