• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that'll always look good

I am going to throw this in because I still find it playable, but R-Type 1 for the Sega Master System looked fantastic and still is VERY playable. As far as really early games go this one still looks pretty damn good.

FnordChan

epmode said:
nice post, fnordChan.

Glad you liked it! While we're at it, this gives me an excuse to mention a couple of games I left out of my original post:

wSuper_Flipper.jpg

Super Flipper (1975) - Okay, this is cheating a bit because of the backdrop. But, holy jesus, just get a load of this game. It's a combination Pong and pinball and apparently is more than a touch complicated. And, as it's using nixie tubes for the display, the video display burns directly into the back of your brain. The backdrop itself looks particularly swank: lightning bolts, flying saucers, and perhaps a touch of art deco. Freakin' awesome.

In contrast, Atari's Video Pinball (1978) is lame...

wVideo_Pinball.png

...but it gets bonus points for the awesome disco dancing on the playfield.

vWarrior.png

Warrior (1979) - Here's another game that makes use of a nice background to make up for rough graphics. That said, these graphics ain't too shabby, as far as top-down vector-graphics renditions of armored gladiators go. This friends, is the great-grandfather of Soul Calibur.

FnordChan

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This thread deserves a second round of attention solely due to the amount of kickass screens housed within it.

I just started playing Ecco Defender of the Future on my DreamCast a few days ago. Its still got that magic within it,a nice relaxing game,oh and it also helps that you have a strategy guide for some of the vague clues in the game. The game is 4 years old and yet it looks good to this day.

bg29.jpg

bg34.jpg

bg36.jpg

To be fair, that's not a very good screenshot of Raptor. That game looked very good when it came out. I haven't seen it recently, but I suspect you would have to see it in motion to appreciate the animation.

Wow,you gabbed much better looking screens than the drabby IGN ones I put up Lazy 8's,good going. Not only is the game still looking good,but the music in this one is awesome. I dunno who it was who directed me to a site that had the games soundtrack,maybe it was Dark 10X? But I'm pretty happy I got them,the tunes are just grade A stuff.

Forsete

Ferrarisimo said:
Is that your final answer? Both those games, with no judgment on their gameplay or sentimental value to you, look bunk.

The Raptor image does not do the game justice.. It looks much better in motion, especially the level in the picture.. How the water sparkles and buildings explodes and then start to smoulder.

GT2 will always look good to me, no matter how big the pixels are. :D

Shompola

Banned
jiji said:
You won't get much of a response from Treasure regarding that game, since they didn't make it. Too bad (?) Nihon Telenet got out of the games biz.

Telenet finally got out of business? They used to make some weird pachinko? games in the recent years.

nitewulf

Ferrarisimo said:
Is that your final answer? Both those games, with no judgment on their gameplay or sentimental value to you, look bunk.

i had the full version of raptor, its a very nice looking game.

ourumov

SOTN
sotn-3.jpg

VR Model 1 Edition
segaages3d016.jpg

Rakuga Kids (N64 2D power !!!! )
vortal_pic_22406.jpg

vortal_pic_22410.jpg

Ridge Racer V
12010028.jpg

Auto Modellista (what a pity the game plays like crap)
auto11.jpg

MOTW
06.jpg

SF III: 2nd Impact
5a.jpg

lordmrw

I really need to play Vagrant Story on Epsxe, just to see what it'll look like with texture smoothing and all that. Too bad I'm too lazy to get up and reach over for the case.

Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 are still masterpieces but they're hideous now. Hideous poly counts and unbearable frame rates. The new versions have the benefit of better graphics, slick frame rates, tighter control, better camera/other-gameplay systems (ie combat) and the benefit of a better controller..

IMO of course.

Grubdog

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 are still masterpieces but they're hideous now. Hideous poly counts and unbearable frame rates. The new versions have the benefit of better graphics, slick frame rates, tighter control, better camera/other-gameplay systems (ie combat) and the benefit of a better controller..

IMO of course.
I just replayed Mario 64 on N64 the other day, and I think it holds up great. The framerate was surprisingly stable and the poly counts, well I can look past them because they don't really effect anything. Pokemon Snap looks really good too.

Even though I have respect [and love], for the Street Fighter Alphas/Zeros and Street Fighter III's... There's no comparison to the hardcore and beautiful art of the Super Street Fighter II's. For some reason this always brings me back.

super%2001.gif

super%2000.gif

cs060mk2

I like the style of the graphics in Street Fighter 2 and Super Street Fighter 2.. Its probably the same artist who made the graphics in Final Fight to... Great stuff.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sonic Adventure

Ohhh, that's one I would REALLY have to disagree with. It is appealing to look at, but the game is a total glitch fest with a bad framerate, HORRIBLE HORRIBLE animation, and all kinds of other annoying problems. It looks like crap as a result...despite some of the locales being very pretty.

Ecco DC is a truly beautiful game, though. The atmosphere is so amazing and has been matched by only a few games. Oddly enough (considering the setting), the surface of the water is the biggest graphical problem. It animates rather poorly most of the time and is very dithered up close. If they could change the water surface and pull off 60 fps, it would be a timeless visual experience. As it is, the game still looks lovely.

Oh yeah, and I finally had the chance to try out IS:Internal Section for PSX. That is absolutely beautiful looking and runs in high-res, 60 fps. Simple, but nice.

a2j_PSOGL2_017.jpg

a2j_PSOGL2_019.jpg

a2j_PSOGL2_016.jpg

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Gunstar77:
Sonic Adventures
Right, they express all their details with such fidelity:
sonic_adventure.jpg

sonic_adventure_2.jpg

Soul Calibur DC has a great, cohesive visual design:
soul_calibur.jpg

And then Samba and Shenmue:
samba_de_amigo.jpg

shenmue.jpg

dark10x

You can't possibly think that Sonic Adventure 1 holds up today...

SA2 does, though. It may be very low poly, but it looks quite lovely in motion. Very sharp and colorful.

Mareg

Hellraizah said:
All hail to the king !
titre.jpg

astal3.jpg

astal4.jpg

astal5.jpg

This gets my vote. I have a collection of more then 200 games and this is the absolute king of 2D gfx (Saturn). The color depth cannot be matched !

Lazy8s

NiGHTS was sprinkled with magical effects all over and, to this day, still has a fresh look to it:
nights-square.jpg

Virtua Tennis and Tennis 2K2 also realize their design well:

virtten2-2.jpg

And some of the others where the shots may not have been loading up:
samba_de_amigo.jpg

jet_grind_radio.jpg

sonic_adventure2.jpg

rayman_2.jpg

sonic_adventure.jpg

f355_challenge.jpg

dark10x:
You can't possibly think that Sonic Adventure 1 holds up today...

SA2 does, though. It may be very low poly, but it looks quite lovely in motion. Very sharp and colorful.
Graphics retain a timeless appeal when they're able to express their design ideal beyond the sum of their polygons and bitmaps. The first Sonic Adventure applies, in balance, deeply colored and brightly displayed real-world detail work evenly across its scenes for a successful portrayal of some idyllic, cartoony reality. And the game continues to hold technical merit, too, with variation and clarity in its texturing that still manage to stand out. The impressiveness from sheer graphical complexity fades fast as technology relentlessly progresses (games on PS2 are "low-poly" when Xbox is the reference point), but good capabilities for display of detail, color and other such basics are the more effective tool for making enduring artwork - sprinting through Sonic Adventure's sun-drenched beach level while that enormous whale smashes through the wooden-grooved planks of the bridge behind him still delivers a lot of visual awe.

epmode

Kobun Heat said:
I love how half the games in this thread look like garbage.
maybe not half, but there are more than a few lousy choices..

edit: sorry, i thought the forum would join my posts.

dark10x

I kind of agree that Sonic Adventure looks very good in some situations, but it has ALWAYS had major MAJOR problems with its visuals that were only hidden by the fact that, at one time, it was pretty far ahead of most other platformers from a technical standpoint. Even though the faults are now more apparent, that doesn't mean they weren't huge back when DC was released.

The animation absolutely TERRIBLE during cutscenes (some of the worst I've seen on a console), though the in game animation is decent (it IS ruined by rough transitions, however). The sound engine is extremely choppy and ruins the flow (ALL load points cause the music to STOP and then restart upon completion) of the game. The framerate is very unoptimized and often drops below 30 fps (in fact, levels played via the time attack function actually have a substantially WORSE framerate than what you'll find during the adventure mode...and that's just bad programming). A lot of the environments that they worked so hard to create are slightly damaged by poorly integrated environmental features. For example, that waterfall in the Mystic Ruins just "ends" with no splash or any effect and the water is very poorly animated. The clipping in the game is absolutely atrocious. Have you witnessed a younger kind try and play level 1? Good lord, they will fall through so many objects and get stuck in the stupidest of places. The game is very easy to break and it looks so bad when it happens. It literally feels like a beta release (both the US and the JP versions of the game). I could go on, if you wish...

Basically, the problem is that, while the assets themselves look pretty good (ie - the scenery is well designed and looks very pretty from a design standpoint)...the game lacks so much polish that all of those high points are completely ruined by the problems. The game is such a glitch fest that I am shocked it even runs at all. I know the situation that Sonic Team had to deal with, of course...but damn it, why does the Director's Cut still suffer from MOST of those problems?!? I would LOVE to have a version of Sonic Adventure that is fully polished up to SA2 or Heroes level. I loved Sonic Adventure back in the day, but it is so hard to go back and play it when it is such a mess.

It just amazes me at how polished SA2 is in comparison. I'd say that SA2 is one of the most polished games on the DC, though that should make sense. I mean, Sonic Adventure was my first US Dreamcast game...and SA2 was my final US DC title. All of those other games you posted work in the context of this thread. They are all pretty polished and feel very complete. Good presentation, good animation, and a solid feel. Sonic Adventure just doesn't fit in there...

Now, if this thread was about "games that will always look good...IN STILL PICS", I would agree that Sonic Adventure fits the bill.

games on PS2 are "low-poly" when Xbox is the reference point

Actually, that really isn't true most of the time. There are exceptions (in the form of Team Ninja's games), but in general, PS2 games seem to throw around a ton of geometry at 60 fps. What is typically true, however, is that XBOX games have more surface effects, better textures, and better image quality.

Lazy8s

dark10x:
Actually, that really isn't true most of the time. There are exceptions (in the form of Team Ninja's games), but in general, PS2 games seem to throw around a ton of geometry at 60 fps.
Take a look at that slide presentation from Sony's Performance Analyzer again. Even EA and Criterion, developers who don't add much to enhance their ports on Xbox, work with more geometry in their Xbox versions.

Top Bottom