• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that'll always look good

This is just my opinion but I think 2d game started holding up in the 16 bit era and 3d games started holding up when the DC, PS2, X box, NGC, and the more advance graphic cards came out for the PC. I tried to go back and play the Saturn and the 3d graphic were so ugly. But I could still play the Saturn 2d game they hold up. Some games like Pac man can still hold up today.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Take a look at that slide presentation from Sony's Performance Analyzer again. Even EA and Criterion, developers who don't add much to enhance their ports on Xbox, work with more geometry in their Xbox versions.

Yeah, but games that are ported to other platformers are not the games I'm talking about as they are typically sporting lower geometry budgets than top PS2-only titles. Still, PS2 and XBOX are MUCH closer to each other in terms of geometry abilities than the DC and PS2 are (which is quite a big gap).

Still, I don't care about that so much...I'm more interested in Sonic Adventure right now. I just noted that on the side...

dark10x

Cold Shadow said:
All the people that posting Halo pics are wrong, It is already showing it's age and that's bad when it's not even 5 years old.

Eh, it certainly is showing its age in some respects...but there are too many beautiful moments that can't be ignored. When you first land on Halo, for example, the cliff scene continues to be truly incredible looking. Halo is filled with plenty of beautiful locales to explore and I imagine they will remain beautiful for years to come...

SD-Ness

Paper Mario
papermario01.png

papermario09.png

Paper Mario 2 screenshots too.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
dark10x:
Yeah, but games that are ported to other platformers are not the games I'm talking about as they are typically sporting lower geometry budgets than top PS2-only titles.
The difference just widens when comparing the two systems' custom titles.
Still, PS2 and XBOX are MUCH closer to each other in terms of geometry abilities than the DC and PS2 are (which is quite a big gap).
The range of PS2's characteristic geometry performance overlaps with DC's range, and serious DC software development was aborted relatively early. The upper part of that PS2 range does reach a good amount higher, though - about 2.5x.

Well modeled DC games like F355, Sonic Adventure 2, and Dead or Alive 2 were not left wanting for polygons visually (and the Ninja Gaiden version in development for it was said to be doing DOA2-level visuals the whole way through like Ninja Gaiden Xbox does DOA3-quality visuals.)

dark10x

The difference just widens when comparing the two systems' custom titles.

No it doesn't (with a few exceptions).

Still, you have responded to my points regarding Sonic, so I'll just assume you agree with me afterall.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
So many great games named already. SOTN, Chrono Trigger, Ico, Rez, JSR, JSRF <-- among the best IMO. And..

baha503.JPG

battle18.gif

sexed.gif

dialogue16.gif

dialogue15.gif

battle11.gif

Crispy

Half-life and Quake 3 come to mind, especially Q3 still looks very good.

2D RPG's like legend of mana and saga frontier 2 still look great as well and even some 16 bit games like Chrono trigger and Mario RPG still look good.

I also think soul reaver held up very well in the 32 bit generations 3D department, Crash bandicoot too. N64 games haven't aged very well, I don't really know why, but I guess because they almost all look so muddy. I guess Banjo Kazooie (not tooie) and jet force gemini still look good while maintaining a decent frame-rate, unlike Perfect Dark.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
dark10x:
No it doesn't (with a few exceptions).
You're probably just getting tricked by good LOD, but analysis of PS2 games through Jak II and further didn't test higher than about 7.5 Mpps
Still, you have responded to my points regarding Sonic, so I'll just assume you agree with me afterall.
I already covered Sonic: the vibrant design is pleasing, and the clarity and variation of the texturing continues to remain impressive. Animation is incredibly important, and some of the transitions weren't adequately smoothed out nor were the cut-scenes polished at all. Still, the primary play animation is smooth with Sonic running, Tails flying, and Knuckles gliding, so the glitchiness isn't a deal breaker.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Azih: Bahamut Lagoon, Strategic RPG from Square for the SNES. Never came out in America/Europe but was translated by the same fans that did Seiken Densetsu 3.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The more realistic looking the game, the more it will look awful a few years later.
Notice how all games listed here all look cartoonish and/or have a very artistic touch that's very different from reality.
That's one of the main reason 2D games, who by definitition could not look realistic, won't age that much compared to 3D. Some 3D games from this generation may age well, like ICO, Orta, JSRF, TWW and a few others like Rez but they are all very far from reality and have no real technical problems that kills the art (like PS1 / Saturn / N64 games)

Flynn

Cold Shadow said:
All the people that posting Halo pics are wrong, It is already showing it's age and that's bad when it's not even 5 years old.

Cold Shadow makes a good point.

The more realistic a game is, the less longevity its graphics have.

Some of you guys have the wackiest views on what still looks good IMO. Quake 3? Sonic Adventures? Duke Nukem 3D? Pokemon Fire Red? Seriously, what the hell?

To me, the game has to make me instantly say "wow" when I see it. Usually when looking at primitive 3D games that doesn't usually happen because of the low amount of artistic content in them. Games like Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Ico, Symphony of the Night, Yoshi's Island, and the like are much more deserving of praise. They were rich with artistic content through and through.

JasoNsider said:
Some of you guys have the wackiest views on what still looks good IMO. Quake 3? Sonic Adventures? Duke Nukem 3D? Pokemon Fire Red? Seriously, what the hell?

Sonic deserves it for the beach level alone which still looks awesome. There are other levels that look great too. The framerate is Sonics only real problem graphically.

Yes, it is apparent that you guys have taste...some of you. ...You know, because some of the six-bit stuff is just conjecture.

I'm rather fond of anything NeoGeo. I never could afford the thing, as most of us couldn't, so it's like playing in a time warp in mostly MetalSlug-type graphics.

Buy my first love... shooters. They're beautiful and fill that special space fantasy part of my head. When college is done and there's a MAME arcade unit or two that I'd like to have in my domicile.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Blimblim said:
The more realistic looking the game, the more it will look awful a few years later.
Notice how all games listed here all look cartoonish and/or have a very artistic touch that's very different from reality.
That's one of the main reason 2D games, who by definitition could not look realistic, won't age that much compared to 3D. Some 3D games from this generation may age well, like ICO, Orta, JSRF, TWW and a few others like Rez but they are all very far from reality and have no real technical problems that kills the art (like PS1 / Saturn / N64 games)

bingo. realism = meh

NLB2

Banned
Dark Dragon said:
metroidrev_111102_in2x.jpg

primeugenegc4.jpg

metroidprimegc_092602_3.jpg

metroidprime_082202_13.jpg

primeredguh1.jpg

ohwowmetroidpow6.jpg

metroid_gcn_aug1_ss15.jpg

metroid prime
Why is it that captures of Metroid Prime always look so bad compared to the real thing?

Oh, and those pics of REZ and Ico really make me wish I had a PS2.

Top Bottom