• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Our complete list of 10/10 reviews and how they're decided

GTA IV's reception will forever be a stain on the industry.

I still like the game, but I mean... compare it to Red Dead Redemption and GTA V and a 10 it is not, even for its time. Those games weren't that far off and it wasn't hard to imagine playing better games than GTA IV in 2008, especially since it was a step backwards from the PS2 games in so many ways.

Completely agree. I couldn't even bring myself to finish GTA4. First time that's happened with any Rockstar game.

Every game on that list still holds up except ironically the two games that were the 4th iteration of the series.

Ralemont

not me
I can't find the place where Gerstmann explained why Chrono Cross got a 10.

I remember it basically being that they gave it to a freelancer and once they put it up on the site they couldn't change it since it was already out there.

the freelancer was andrew vestal who as far as i remember created RPGFan, so not exactly a nobody (insofar as reviewers are somebodies). doesn't mean it wasn't deserved.

inbeforeavatarquote

XenoRaven

I still don't get 'it' with Journey.

It must suck working on an AAA game with a huge budget and having to put everything into this long story that has to last over 10 hours and not getting as high of marks as an indie game that does one mechanic but does it fairly well.
I think you could say the same thing about any art form. It's not so much about the scale or the effort, but how cohesive the total package is and the message it's attempting to send.

If Gamespot rated MGS4 a 10, is there a secret scale above that where they can put MGS 1-3 since all of them are way better games?

Gurish

I still wonder what was going on that made GTA IV and MGS4 get such extreme praise. I guess the hype cycle was immense for those two.
Can't think on anything else, it's embarrassing that MGS4 is there but not MGS1/2/3, I'm sure they're realizing they were wrong by now.

GTA4 is even more embarrassing, it was just pure hype, very few believe it is a masterpiece above all other games in the series, so again, a very bad call by Gamespot.

It's not only the undeserved 10 they gave for both of these games, it's the 10 's they didn't give to the better games in the series, the much better games and the true classics, shame.

They were all worthy of a 10 except for Bayonetta 2 and maybe Journey. While I don't disagree that Journey is near perfection and I can't fathom how it could get any better, but seeing it get a 10 while the original not getting a 10 boggles my mind. On the other hand, Bayonetta 2's technical problems annoyed me too much personally to award it a 10.

Grand Theft Auto 4 I'd say deserved it despite many in here believing otherwise. It truly was revolutionary and next generational at the time.

Best wishes.

But the entire editorial team has the opportunity to go over the review, and sometimes, being devil's advocate is an important role to have, and it's a role that I am happy to take on. A very common email exchange with a freelance author might be: "Are you sure this is an 8? Are you sure this game is truly great? Because it sounds pretty good, but I don't know if you're selling that 8." The author might then say, "Hey, you're right, this really is just a pretty good game," or she might say, "Man, this game is absolutely great; what do I need to do to really get that across?" The author is always the owner of his own work, but the rest of the crew still helps to ensure the review is all it can be.

I like this part, because at the start of the paragraph I thought "but then you're imparting doubt" but it rounded out and seemed like a great flux that results in better writing or a more marinated opinion.

When it comes to review press like this, I still always think of The Source magazine retroactively going back and giving 5 mics to undeniably classic hip-hop albums: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Source_(magazine)#The_Source.27s_Five-Mic_albums

I just think 10s are kind of weird in general. What do you do with games like GTA IV and MGS4 when a sequel comes out and it's better? They kind of talked about this on the Giant Bombcast - Street Fighter IV came out and got a high score then Super came out and was better and got a lower score.

fwiw I don't consider a 10 to be perfect, either.

Servbot24

Banned
I just think 10s are kind of weird in general. What do you do with games like GTA IV and MGS4 when a sequel comes out and it's better? They kind of talked about this on the Giant Bombcast - Street Fighter IV came out and got a high score then Super came out and was better and got a lower score.

Then you give the new game whatever score you feel like giving it. It's not an equation.

Jeremy

It must suck working on an AAA game with a huge budget and having to put everything into this long story that has to last over 10 hours and not getting as high of marks as an indie game that does one mechanic but does it fairly well.

Should they take into account the budget, length and number of mechanics that are done fairly well into reviews?

You remember that they were given that final review score when the game was released.

Interfectum

Reviews exist in the time they are given. You don't review a game thinking a better version may come out in the future so you better low ball it.

the first 4 10s took a 3 year period, and then a 10 year gap before another one.

they've given 4 10s over the last 10 months

This is just observational and not intended to be biased

Now the bias:

There are better god damn games released between 2001 and 2008 that deserve 10s more than THPS3 and GTA4 (especially GTA)

Bayonetta 2 and SMG2 are the only good games on that list

Then you give the new game whatever score you feel like giving it. It's not an equation.

Reviews exist in the time they are given. You don't review a game thinking a better version may come out in the future so you better low ball it.

Yeah I think so too. I dunno. I'm not a reviewer either so it doesn't really matter what I think of it.

MGSIV won the GOTY of GAF twice. I think it's fair to say that it wasn't just the reviewer reviewers that loved the game. With GTA IV you have a point.

Wrong both times!

the first 4 10s took a 3 year period, and then a 10 year gap before another one.

they've given 4 10s over the last 10 months

Famitsu had the same progression after Nintendogs.

Those developers, if they exist, can get the fuck over it. Journey has perfect pacing and focus. If they can't comprehend why that makes the game good to tons of people then I don't know what to say to convince them.

Not to mention TGC worked plenty hard on Journey just as much as any AAA team. the game is 90 to 120 mminutes. That's a lot of shit.

GTA IV's reception will forever be a stain on the industry.

I still like the game, but I mean... compare it to Red Dead Redemption and GTA V and a 10 it is not, even for its time. Those games weren't that far off and it wasn't hard to imagine playing better games than GTA IV in 2008, especially since it was a step backwards from the PS2 games in so many ways.

MGS4 getting anything higher than a 6/10 is way worse. GTA IV at least has hours and hours and hours of gameplay and variety. MGS4 may be the worst-paced game in history. The critics who praised it were either bribed or completely snowed by Kojima's aura.

faridmon

MGS4 is the only game I disagree with its 10 (from the ones I have played like GTA games) , but I can see why with the hype at that.

Gurish

It's always nice to go back and see a review where a guy in the blizzard of launch hype is like 'This is a true masterpiece... they'll be talking about this fucking game for 15 YEARS!!!!'

...and he ends up being right. You nailed it, bud. Nailed it.
Yea it was very cool reading the Zelda quote, spot on, nice job by the reviewer for a change.

GTA IV a 10? I didn't follow GTA back then and I saw the critical acclaim it got at release and thought wow I need to play this game some day! Then I played it.

I disagree with Chrono Cross, GTA4, MGS4, and Journey. I don't think any of them are bad games, but they fall pretty well short of "brilliant" to me. Anyway, pretty good collection otherwise.

LOL at GTA IV and Chrono Trigger receiving 10.

Actually, Chrono Trigger absolutely would deserve a 10.

I think the Bomb crews covered this in their podcast pretty thoroughly. A 10 doesn't mean the game is flawless. It means the game has done something extremely remarkable in one or more aspects and is just a joy to play, in its time. Which mean a game that received a 10 a decade ago won't necessary be receiving a 10 if it were to be release now because the standard/baseline has been risen since then. The prime example is Jeff's Gear of War UE review. He really loved the first Gears when it came out but he just couldn't give the upgraded version of the same game such a high praise in 2015 because he thinks the game can't hold up to the standard of modern games.

jrcbandit

Did the hype last gen blind people so much? GTA IV and MGS4 were 8/10 games at best due to their many flaws. MGS4 has 10 billion cutscenes with horrible dialogue and the gameplay past Act 2 is subpar, although piloting a certain machine in Act 4 was fun. GTA IV was pretty subpar all around, inferior to the San Andreas in almost all respects with horrible characters and plot (oscar calibre hahahaha), crap mission design, etc. The pretty graphics must have made the reviewers forget about gameplay.

LeonSPBR

I disagree with Chrono Cross, GTA4, MGS4, and Journey. I don't think any of them are bad games, but they fall pretty well short of "brilliant" to me. Anyway, pretty good collection otherwise.

Actually, Chrono Trigger absolutely would deserve a 10.

Wrote the wrong name. I agree with you Chrono Trigger is way better that Cross. Trigger is well deserved a 10.

I used to like how infrequent they gave out tens, they seemed to have really loosened the purse these days, makes them pretty ordinary now.

RootCause

Nice read.

The 10's I've played:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Soul Calibur
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Bayonetta 2
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

The ones I feel deserved the score:

Ocarina of Time
MGS4
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Witcher 3

Jeremy

I think the Bomb crews covered this in their podcast pretty thoroughly. A 10 doesn't mean the game is flawless. It means the game has done something extremely remarkable in one or more aspects and is just a joy to play, in its time. Which mean a game that received a 10 a decade ago won't necessary be receiving a 10 if it were to be release now because the standard/baseline has been risen since then. The prime example is Jeff's Gear of War UE review. He really loved the first Gears when it came out but he just couldn't give the upgraded version of the same game such a high praise in 2015 because he thinks the game can't hold up to the standard of modern games.

THANK YOU. I've been trying to say this for like 20 posts but I couldn't put it together. People are being illogical or can't wrap their minds around this.

Like of course THPS3 isn't the greatest game of all time because it got a 10 from GameSpot 14 years ago.

That's a great list of games, the only one I don't really agree with was MGS4. Which it seems people tend to fall into two camps, they either loved the shit out of it or hated it.

Walpurgis

Banned
i don't get how witcher 3 got a 10 when something that makes up such a large part of the game is so mediocre, the combat. the main story also seemed to take a dive during the last 3rd, probably due to being stretched a bit thin

Probably because the combat isn't mediocre and the story was great. I've noticed that it is a common complaint but I really can't see how someone could take issue with it. It combines the control you have in Demon's Souls (being able to dodge every attack) and the flow of a Batman game. I assume that most people played the game on the default faceroll difficulty but maybe you haven't.
I used to like how infrequent they gave out tens, they seemed to have really loosened the purse these days, makes them pretty ordinary now.

The ones that they have given out recently are deserving, imo. We just happen to be in a time of legendary games. :)

jrcbandit

THANK YOU. I've been trying to say this for like 20 posts but I couldn't put it together. People are being illogical or can't wrap their minds around this.

I agree, this makes perfect sense. But games like MGS4 and GTA IV were inferior to MGS3 and GTA: San Andreas aside from the graphic upgrades.

Chrono Cross isn't worthy of a 10/10, it has far too many real problems before discussing its status as a sequel to Trigger. What it did well it did REALLY well though.

Lothar

Banned
Chrono Cross/GTA 4. LOL. Even if you love those games, they have definite obvious flaws. They are objectively nowhere near 10. Chrono Cross doesn't even feel finished.

Maybe Chrono Trigger should have got a 10/10 or GTA V.

Rockk

It's sort of weird they give Phantom Pain a 10 and call it the best Metal Gear ever but they also gave MGS4 a ten. Just a poor choice of words I guess.

SeanTSC

OoT - I can see someone giving this a 10, sure.

Soul Calibur - Haven't played.

Chrono Cross - No matter how much I love this game, I just can't wrap my head around it being higher than an 8.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 - Haven't played.

GTAIV - Don't see how this could be a 10 either, especially being worse than previous GTAs in all kinds of ways.

MGS4 - Same as GTAIV.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - This is only a 10 if Super Mario Galaxy 1 is an 11.

Bayonetta 2 - Maybe a 10.

Witcher 3 - Way too many technical problems to be considered a 10.

Journey - Haven't played, yet.

MGS5 - Haven't played, yet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've played every game on that list and agree with them all besides MGS4, Journey, and GTA IV.

2008 was a dark year for game reviews. Almost everyone fell for the hype machine.

OoT - I can see someone giving this a 10, sure.

Witcher 3 - Way too many technical problems to be considered a 10.

On consoles. On PC that game runs very very well. So if you detach the game from it's console version I'd say it deserves the 10, if you don't detach the game and rank specifically how it runs on the consoles then yes, you'd be right. It should have had two separate reviews so that people would have had a clearer idea as to what to expect as I KNOW i'd have been disappointed with the performance on consoles had that been my only option, but again it ran real well on PC. Aside from a few random crashes I played that game start to finish at 60 fps the entire time without any issues.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's sort of weird they give Phantom Pain a 10 and call it the best Metal Gear ever but they also gave MGS4 a ten. Just a poor choice of words I guess.

MGS4 and its reception is the reason I'm staying well clear of 5. Which is probably a shame because there's every chance its a really good game.

Top Bottom