• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Our complete list of 10/10 reviews and how they're decided

Ishida

Banned
what the fuck am I reading

The massive and unwarranted overhype for MGS4 is something that I'm really never going to forget. "The most technically stunning video game ever", released one year after Crysis, and was not even the best loooking PS3 game at the time (Uncharted had been released the year before).

What the fuck am I reading.

noqtic

Only games I would give a 10 on that list is.

Ocarina
Witcher 3
Galaxy 2

----Haven't even started Bayo 2 yet and don't have the Phantom Pain-----

Honorable mention to Soul Calibur, but Soul Calibur 2 is the one that deserves a 10 if anything.

The hype surrounding GTAIV and MGS4 was way, way, way too huge, and I'd like to think we're better for having lived through it, being able to look back at how ridiculous everyone was. GTAIV in particular plays terribly on foot which is a huge part of that game, before even getting into the multitude of other issues and all the missing features from San Andreas. Yeah, every review is an opinion piece, blah blah whatever, but on no planet in no galaxy in no universe do I think GTAIV is a 10. MGS4 isn't as insane, but that's still not a game worthy of a 10/10 IMO, and at least half of the game failed to live up to all that manic pre-release hype.

Damerman

what the fuck am I reading

The massive and unwarranted overhype for MGS4 is something that I'm really never going to forget. "The most technically stunning video game ever", released one year after Crysis, and was not even the best loooking PS3 game at the time (Uncharted had been released the year before).
Man, people make me want to say that mgs4 is the best mgs out of spite... But then i become lucid again and i remember the cosmic miracle that mgs2 is.

ITT people act like GTA IV wasn't an amazing game

It was brilliant, the world felt alive for the first time in the series. The graphics were great, and the main character was something different

And they made combat fun, which it was not in the ps2 games

The problem is that many people felt the game as a whole wasn't asfun. As in it really wasn't fun to do things outside of missions (and even some of them weren't fun) because Rockstar tried to build things to be grounded in comparison to San Andreas. The quote i'll always remember from Rockstar about GTA4 is when they said that they wouldn't include bicycles in the game because they didn't think Niko would ride one. That said a lot because it showed they were valuing making the world believable in their eyes in some way over just giving the player as many tools as possible to play around with like they did in SA.

The difference between GTA5 and 4 in terms of content and fan reaction couldn't be more different. You really never hear people complaining about how well GTA5 scored. And it sits at one point less than GTA4 on Metacritic (97 vs. 98). That's because it went back to more of a SA philosophy in the sense that anything goes as long as it's fun. The grounded shit went out the window with GTA4. It's no surprise that GTA5 and SA are the two best selling games in the series.

Mulgrok

The only one of those games I played was OoT... Purchased it day one and found it to be lacking, because everything it did I had experienced better in other games. It was entertaining though...except the easy as hell boss fights.

The only one of those games I played was OoT... Purchased it day one and found it to be lacking, because everything it did I had experienced better in other games. It was entertaining though...except the easy as hell boss fights.

Do you mean you picked up OOT3D on day one?

Because the rest of your comment doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Steroyd

Strictly talking review scores, to this day I am absolutely baffled at how GTA IV got perfect 10's in general, it was such an obvious step back from GTA SA not long into the game, and blatently obvious it was a shell of a game after you completed it, it was also when my eyes were opened to the likes of IGN's hype bullshit and when I started to forgo gaming websites and use Neogaf for impressions on games.

MGS IV is a weird one for me, yes I loved all 5 Acts, but the last 3 acts were less the MGS that we were accustomed to, the first 2 acts were absolutely sublime though.

RE_Player

Chrono Cross 10 was such a joke. They got a freelancer to write the review and later regretted saying the game was anywhere near perfect.

Jonm1010

Banned
It was definitely 10/10 for the time that it came out in.
Naw, not at all. From the moment the game hit the masses people were slowly realizing the hype wasn't real.

The story wasn't as great as advertised, the gunplay, while slightly improved, still wasn't great and lagged behind many games even at that time. Character movement borders on frustrating. The world itself was alive but it was small and the level of sandbox was a step back. The fun factor definitely took a dive.

Then you have the game design flaws like the mission restarts which were still archaic In the way failure set you back sometimes up to 15 minutes and a bunch of filler. Or the nauseating cell phone shit. It was a good game but not flawless.

In retrospect you can tell it was the first step for rockstar in a new era and they were just getting their feet wet. Both RDR and GTAV were superior games in retrospect. In some cases vastly so.

Zalman

You know, MGS4 was a pretty flawed game, but at the same time it ended Solid Snake's story in the most perfect way possible. I wouldn't blame anyone for giving it a 10/10.

Journey is a really fun and unique game. I don't think it's a 10, but there's definitely something special about it and I think it deserved the attention it got.

Bayonetta 2 is incredible. I'm currently replaying Devil May Cry 4, this time on PS4, and it's just not the same. Definitely the best game in the genre in my opinion.

I never felt that Grand Theft Auto IV deserved such high praise. I like the series, but I generally feel it's very overrated. I think V is my favorite game, but I don't even think that is a 10. Fun game though.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is probably the perfect example of a 10/10 game in my mind. It just did so many things right. The creativity and variety in the level design is through the roof. It definitely deserved it.

meanspartan

I think GTA 4 suffers from revisionism. I remember when it was out, everyone was playing it, and most people loved the shit out of it too.

It was only when I started using Gaf that I discovered it's "cool" to trash the game.

Sayter

Bayonetta 2 fluidity and graphics are a site to behold. And this is coming from someone who's put many hours into Bloodborne and Batman AK.

Ah that 10/10 GTA IV review. Never understood that. After trying to complete IV on 3 separate occasions, I just went back too San Andreas.

nerdbot

As much as I love Ocarina of Time, calling it a perfect game--at release or today, either one--is a gross exaggeration. Groundbreaking, iconic, a masterpiece, but perfect? Nah.

I think a lot of the same can be said about GTAIV--not perfect, and time has revealed as much (quite faster in GTAIV's case) but at the time of its release it was a big deal. I understand where the love came from even if looking back I've grown to love the game a whole lot less.

User1608

Banned
Of all the games I played in the list, I'd say GTAIV is the only one that doesn't deserve a ten. It was fun and the attention to detail was amazing, but the end product was still kind of dull in comparison to previous games and not very fulfilling. I'm not even going to get into the narrative dissonance. I'd say MGS4 deserved it, just about. All I know is that I loved it and had way more fun with it than GTAIV.

Review scores are something I find super-goofy, and the race to a 10 is pretty meaningless. But LOL I didn't even know MGS4 got a 10. Fr Srs?

The story Jeff Gertsmann told on Giant Bomb about why Chrono Cross got a 10 was hilarious

[paraphrasing heavilly]

"A 10 for Chrono Cross? Alright, another perfect game then."

"Wait. I didn't say it was perfect."

Lothars

The games that deserve the 10 from the list from release are

Orcania of Time
GTA IV
Journey
Metal Gear Solid 4 is my favorite game on the list
Chrono Cross
Bayonetta 2

The games that don't

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - it's a great game but it's far from deserving a 10
Witcher 3 is overhyped and I don't really think it deserves to from the bit I played of it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I don't think that any game deserves a 10 because to me, it implies that it's perfect in every way and that's simply impossible which is why sites and magazines always state "perfect score does not mean it's perfect and without flaws"....hmmm, then why are you giving it a 10??? Sorry but it makes no sense at all.

Bayonetta 2 fluidity and graphics are a site to behold. And this is coming from someone who's put many hours into Bloodborne and Batman AK.

I'm still trying to understand how you could think this, to each his own, the game's graphics are beyond dated.

Its fitting that MGS is the only franchise with multiple 10's on the site. If one franchise deserves it its this.

I loved Crono Cross and MGS4, hopefully I love MGS5 as well. GTA4 as a game really pushed my patience to the limit, I ended up hating the game when it was all said and done.

Komo

Banned
I was pretty blinded by hype when GTA IV came out. Even when I couldn't force myself to sit down and enjoy it, I was still convinced it was a 10/10 game.

I've finished it like two times since, and in retrospect, it's a 7.5 or 8 at most.

GTA III and San Andreas will always be my 10/10 GTA games

Monocle

SMH at the people saying Bayonetta 2 didn't deserve a 10. As though any action game in this whole generation besides DMC4SE (maybe) and The Wonderful 101 can remotely compare to everything it offers.

Bayonetta 2 has a handful of relatively minor downgrades to the original's mechanics, but to make up for it you get a far, far, far more consistent set of levels, stripped of the countless little annoyances from the first game. Bayonetta 2 is streamlined for replayability, so feature-rich it almost makes the original look sparse, and packed full of bonus content and smart design touches that improve the experience.

The ideal Bayonetta game would have the original's mechanics and the sequel's exceptional variety and consistent quality and absence of unnecessarily punishing features like insta-death QTEs. As it stands, Bayonetta 2 is easily one of the top five stylish action games of all time. It could be twice as flawed as it is, with half as much content, and still deserve that 10 because its base design is so good.

Dremark

Banned
Isn't Cross considered to be worse than Trigger? Haven't played those games.

But I've been listening to the soundtracks for years. In that regard: Cross > Trigger.
duh

A lot of fans reject Cross for various reasons but I believe it got better reviews.

Come on, Garbage though?

Definition of "Garbage" may vary here, I did not take any enjoyment in the actual gameplay of Chrono Cross. I beat it because the bits of the soundtrack I had heard I wanted context for, and ultimately, I wanted to know how it tied into Chrono Trigger, if it even did.

I'll make it clear one more time: At no point during the 40+ hours I spent playing it, did I ever enjoy *playing* it. I meant what I said.

silva1991

God no. The last thing Witcher needs is arcadey action like Dragon's Dogma

The combat in The Witcher 3 is mediocre at best. which is not surprising after The Witcher 2. ( actually at least sword animation was better in witcher 2)

The combat in DD is godlike, but everything else is boring sadly.

Steroyd

I think GTA 4 suffers from revisionism. I remember when it was out, everyone was playing it, and most people loved the shit out of it too.

It was only when I started using Gaf that I discovered it's "cool" to trash the game.

That's not it at all, if you played GTA SA and then you jump straight to GTA IV, you will find a shocking lack of things to do in the game in comparison and this was back in 2008, and a massive portion of Liberty City is unused that gets more love via the DLC. It becomes blatantly apparent after you do all the story missions and you're left with what? Shooting pidgeons?

GTA IV is not a bad game, it just looks like it gets trashed compared to the hype that proceded it which is the crux of the issue.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: 10/10
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast): 10/10
Chrono Cross: 9/10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 9/10
Grand Theft Auto IV 4/10
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 6/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2 8/10
Bayonetta 2 8/10
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 5/10
Journey (PS4) 8/10
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.....

Gamespot had two of em right. smh.

SMH at the people saying Bayonetta 2 didn't deserve a 10. As though any action game in this whole generation besides DMC4SE (maybe) and The Wonderful 101 can remotely compare to everything it offers.

Bayonetta 2 has a handful of relatively minor downgrades to the original's mechanics, but to make up for it you get a far, far, far more consistent set of levels, stripped of the countless little annoyances from the first game. Bayonetta 2 is streamlined for replayability, so feature-rich it almost makes the original look sparse, and packed full of bonus content and smart design touches that improve the experience.

The ideal Bayonetta game would have the original's mechanics and the sequel's exceptional variety and consistent quality and absence of unnecessarily punishing features like insta-death QTEs. As it stands, Bayonetta 2 is easily one of the top five stylish action games of all time. It could be twice as flawed as it is, with half as much content, and still deserve that 10 because its base design is so good.
I still don't understand how Bayonetta 1 has better mechanics than 2 outside of not having Urban Climax. But you are right that Bayonetta 2's flow is amazing. Its like no matter where you put it down you come back to what would other wise be the crescendo of any other quality game.

Nzyme32

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: 10/10
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast): 10/10
Chrono Cross: 9/10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 9/10
Grand Theft Auto IV 4/10
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 6/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2 8/10
Bayonetta 2 8/10
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 5/10
Journey (PS4) 8/10
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.....

Gamespot had two of em right. smh.

The review of the original Deus Ex is amusing. They give it an 82 and complain about the graphics and dark industrial environments, seemingly missing the point of the game along the way

Bayonetta 2 is the inferior sequel to an 11/10 game.

that's why it got a 10

I can go with this.

Bayonetta 2 is an amazing game and improves on the original in some areas, but the original is still a better game overall. Better weapons, better bosses, Hang On/Space Harrier sections are shorter in B2, which most people would agree is a plus, but they're almost so short as to be completely pointless and they manage to be less fun to play, no crappy underwater sections or flying sections and most importantly, no Loki.

True Fire

You guys have to realize that a game's review score should be relative to the year it was released in.

I think Final Fantasy 6 is a solid 9/10, but compared to 2015 AAA games it looks like a cheap indie browser game.

Likewise, you can't criticize GTA IV for being worse than V when V wasn't out when IV was released (duh).

Lothar

Banned
You guys have to realize that a game's review score should be relative to the year it was released in.

I think Final Fantasy 6 is a solid 9/10, but compared to 2015 AAA games it looks like a cheap indie browser game.

Likewise, you can't criticize GTA IV for being worse than V when V wasn't out when IV was released (duh).

People here were down on GTA IV a long time before V came out.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378850
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485658
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329251

Breads

Banned
I read the Chrono Cross justification to see if they were telling the truth in the headline. They did not. The article is bullshit without telling the real story on how it got a 10/10.

Jeff Gerstmann told the story several times as to why it got a 10/10 and it was even linked here. I was kind of hoping they would come clean providing me a reason to check the rest of the list out. If they can't be honest with CC then I can't be bothered to continue reading.

Even though this is my favorite game of that gen I acknowledge it as a guilty pleasure because it is not perfect, which is what 10/10s should be.

Ooccoo

I still don't get the GTAIV perfect score. I mean I understand it from a technical point of view, but the story and the rest are lackluster.

Well gta 4 strikes me as the most incorrect score out of the bunch. Thps3 was amazing, from the controls to the levels to the awesome soundtrack!

I do feel a 10 should be a game close to perfection in its genre and not full of too many bugs and glitches, so the witcher 3 shouldn't really get a 10, but it is a solid 9 for me.

At the end of the day they are opinions, but official reviews shouldn't be that far away from the games real quality, which is why i find the score incredible for gta4.

Top Bottom