• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Ojli

Neo Member
Just noticed that GT updated their site and video player. The player functions better than the last but a shame you can't seem to comment on the site. :/

Just noticed that GT updated their site and video player. The player functions better than the last but a shame you can't seem to comment on the site. :/

Changes are going into effect right now, but there will be comments. Please be patient. It's going to take a while to roll out and there's still a lot of work to come.

ilium

So should I watch on YT or GT.com in the future for "maximum revenue"?

Also, will the Android App ever work again?! :/

Ojli

Neo Member

Vinc

Man the new website looks fantastic. Really awesome, clean design with a hopefully functional layout. Glad to see Defy investing in GT. Huber Hype office tour is pretty cool too, the building does look like an upgrade.

Holy cow Kyle has a lot of ties at work. Also, Huber should've known to carry some M&Ms with him to unlock the door to their game library.

Quick Edit: I laughed at the drop down for the Review tab because that looks exactly like the fake lists I make up when I'm trying to get a feel for a web page layout. 'Content. Content. More Content. Wow really long content' etc. In case anyone checks this after they fix it, the first three items under the review drop down are just 'Review'.

Tregard

Soothsayer
CUnB8r8WoAIU-cR.png

Burt

I know it's because I've had it on in the background like three times this week, but as soon as I saw Huber strutting down the corridor in black and white, it totally reminded me of the hallway in the back of the mall in the beginning of Terminator 2. Office looks great other than the lack of windows. I can't believe any work gets accomplished in that bullpen. There's probably a show somewhere in there.

Loved the bit on Huber's tour of the office where he sits at the "breakfast" table with that big smile on his face.

They should have a new Sunday morning show, similar to Sky Sports' Sunday Supplement where they all sit around the table with croissants and coffee and talk about the week in gaming, swap newspapers with game magazines.

UrbanRats

Yeah progression and having an arc is good.
Making Tomb Raider a game about PTSD was stupid as fuck, basically like those try hard "Gritty Mario" comedies that have gotten so played out.

No better than those "Nathan Drake is a mass murderer" bollocks thread, trying to be deep in a very clumsy way.

I've said this several times on GAF, so i won't go on about it again, but to make it short, Tomb Raider was always* about wonder and the joy of discovery, something the reboot completely fails at, and turns that joy into creepy horror and a half assed attempt at some weird psychologic arc.

Imagine if they made a reboot of Indiana Jones where he has to deal with SLA.

Reminds me of that one review of Tomb Raider 2 that proposed they gave Lara breast cancer as a plot point.

You can have a good and interesting tone without trying so hard to "say something" and completely destroy any consistency in tone, in the process.
These are characters designed and created as icons, archetypes that represent an idea, more than a tridimensional character, like Indiana Jones, like Darth Vader, you can't just slap them into any story and expect them to work in the same way.
That's what they did wrong, in my opinion.

*Aside from that Angel of Darkness abortion.

Tigermave

Neo Member
My favorite part of that Final Bosman is his dedication to turning off, closing, and setting down the imaginary phone he talked to his mom on, while going on with the show at the same time.

I loved Huber Hype this week.
"Must Be Nice" cracked me the fuck up, several times.

Confirmed. It is nice.

I also have all the gear though, which I need to have a close eye on and keep under lock and key. Likewise, Brandon needs to be able to shut his door to do VO or private meetings.

RedAssedApe

Banned
shit...please tell me that the ending of huber hype is more than a one off. who is the mysterious luchador that stol huber's belt and choked out bossman?! suspense is killing me

UrbanRats

HH and FB were both excellent this week.

Regarding the new player, not sure if it's worth anything doing trouble shooting, but in my case (Firefox) i can't put it in fullscreen, and half the times the player controls don't even show up.
Also, it says 720p, but it looks rather blurry (even compared to Youtube's 720p, which already is usually a compressed mess) not sure if that's also a bug.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'm hoping that Huber Lore, Final Bosman Lore, ManUps Lore and general GT Lore will all eventually culminate in an Avengers-style crossover.

But the therapy sessions are in Rise of the Tomb Raider, except they are tapes of the sessions instead of cutscenes. Giving information about what happened after Yamatai, Sam's whereabouts and Lara's relationship with her father, but
ultimately you find she was convinced to go into therapy by her step-mother who was trying to undermine Lara as part of Trinity's plan

I'm not saying it was excellent story telling, but they didn't drop it. I like Rise's Lara, she's much stronger and assertive than the last game. All she did in TR was react to what was happening to her. Psycho's,plane crashes, ship wrecks, monsters, traps...react, react, react. In Rise she tackles the antagonists head on and is actually a beacon of strength, her courage and actions make others around her rally to her and become stronger too. She's a hunter, not the hunted.
I mean that's progression, right? In TR she was a ball being bounced around without any self-will and in Rise she's a batter smashing home runs.

I like to watch the GT shows in my bed on the iPad, using the app (as its one of the better ways to actually watch the videos for me) the update process is horrendous though, checked it last night and the last video to be uploaded was Man Ups from the weekend.

Don't think ill be watching as often in the future if this doesn't get fixed :(

Hasney

I like to watch the GT shows in my bed on the iPad, using the app (as its one of the better ways to actually watch the videos for me) the update process is horrendous though, checked it last night and the last video to be uploaded was Man Ups from the weekend.

Subscribe to them on YouTube?

Auctopus

Also that table in the cafeteria begs for a GTbreakfast show. ;)

Before Rev3 became horrible and fell apart, they had a show called "Casual Friday" where'd they chat about the week over a beer in a nice area.

It's sort of redundant with GT Time but a casual chat in the cafeteria would be cool.

That app is a Viacom product. Now that we've moved off their system onto Defy's, there's no way to update it anymore, and it will likely stop working soon. I know that kind of sucks for now, but it's going to be so much better in the long run.

As someone else mentioned, the YouTube channels will be your best option, although I've played videos from the new site in Safari as well without issue.

Thanks! They upload every review there? I'll just use this then.

Yeah, I put them all up there. With the old site, they'd sometimes make it up to YouTube first. Curious to see how much faster the new site will be once we get everything ironed out. It's already a major improvement on the back end so far.

Top Bottom