• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Auctopus

ladies in the lobby is still pretty good.

Still waiting for Elyse to pull out the questions that are exclusively relevant to women, though. Or maybe her point is to prove they're just like men? I don't know. I'm sure she'll develop into the later episodes.

Two notes : both of Stephanie's stories sounded completely made up and the Smosh girls answer to what's your favourite game was to list every game she's ever heard of.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Rocket League looks incredible, givin' me that Huber Hype.

What's Ben been up to recently? Haven't seen him on much, and I've been skipping Tabletop Adventures because I heard there was some weird tension between Ben and Ian a few eps back :/

Hasney

Rocket League looks incredible, givin' me that Huber Hype.

What's Ben been up to recently? Haven't seen him on much, and I've been skipping Tabletop Adventures because I heard there was some weird tension between Ben and Ian a few eps back :/

That tension is all gone on the new episode. So freaking good. Didn't watch the last couple and didn't feel like I missed much.

ManUp Nights was great. Kyle's reaction to Mad Max' and Happy Feet's shared staff was great.

mUcdPrz.gif

Yeah Greg Van Borssum is just some overachieving lunatic.
He has black belts, studied in a shao lin temple, competed in a mr universe, has won a world title in team pistol shooting and won NY film festival award for a short film he made.
He learned animation packages and also did crowd choreography for Happy Feet and is also a trained carpenter.

SeanTSC

Yeah Greg Van Borssum is just some overachieving lunatic.
He has black belts, studied in a shao lin temple, competed in a mr universe, has won a world title in team pistol shooting and won NY film festival award for a short film he made.
He learned animation packages and also did crowd choreography for Happy Feet and is also a trained carpenter.

That's insanely amazing. Clearly this person has the ability to manipulate time and bend it to his will.

May want to update the OP banner. Ladies in the Lobby has taken the Monday slot since Let's All Go to the Trailers is now Trailer Score and happens whenever new stuff drops.

UrbanRats

Caught up with some stuff.

Regarding Ladies in the Lobby, i get that it must be hard to get all those women together in one room for 40 minutes, like Elyse pointed out on MUn, however the problem I have with the current show, is basically the same thing i don't like about Bonus Round.
The format is so heavily produced, and edited, that it loses any trace of honesty and connection with the person on screen.
The questions weren't really relevant to the idea of women in gaming or games media, which is totally fine, if you're going to have either very peculiar questions, or allow the viewer to establish a deeper "connection" with these people, by having a much looser and spontaneous conversation.

The reason why i even care about whatever Huber, Kyle, Elyse, Ben, etc etc. have to say about stuff, it's not their opinions are so revelatory or mind blowing, it's more or less the stuff we all think or went through with games; it's because through time i got attached to these people in a way (however superficial) and so my interest in hearing what they have to say, grew on that basis alone, if they throw in a particularly interesting opinion i hadn't thought of, that's icing on the cake.

I really struggle to think of a reason why i should care about someone i've never seen or heard, tell me about their completely mundane stories about playing Street Fighter, in a format that removes much of the humanity from the conversation, making it sound more like an MTV reality show.
Which again, it's not meant as a slight against the guests, just that the format doesn't really allow for that more human aspect to come through.

As i said, it's why i really can't watch Bonus Round, and never really enjoyed it, even back in the day, every panel always feels very stiff and controlled, as opposed to something like GTLive, GT Time or Mandatory Update Nights.
Or to use an off site reference, the post-E3 shows Giant Bomb usually has, with guests shooting off and speaking their minds in a very relaxed and loose environment.

Mikey Jr.

Caught up with some stuff.

Regarding Ladies in the Lobby, i get that it must be hard to get all those women together in one room for 40 minutes, like Elyse pointed out on MUn, however the problem I have with the current show, is basically the same thing i don't like about Bonus Round.
The format is so heavily produced, and edited, that it loses any trace of honesty and connection with the person on screen.
The questions weren't really relevant to the idea of women in gaming or games media, which is totally fine, if you're going to have either very peculiar questions, or allow the viewer to establish a deeper "connection" with these people, by having a much looser and spontaneous conversation.

The reason why i even care about whatever Huber, Kyle, Elyse, Ben, etc etc. have to say about stuff, it's not their opinions are so revelatory or mind blowing, it's more or less the stuff we all think or went through with games; it's because through time i got attached to these people in a way (however superficial) and so my interest in hearing what they have to say, grew on that basis alone, if they throw in a particularly interesting opinion i hadn't thought of, that's icing on the cake.

I really struggle to think of a reason why i should care about someone i've never seen or heard, tell me about their completely mundane stories about playing Street Fighter, in a format that removes much of the humanity from the conversation, making it sound more like an MTV reality show.
Which again, it's not meant as a slight against the guests, just that the format doesn't really allow for that more human aspect to come through.

As i said, it's why i really can't watch Bonus Round, and never really enjoyed it, even back in the day, every panel always feels very stiff and controlled, as opposed to something like GTLive, GT Time or Mandatory Update Nights.
Or to use an off site reference, the post-E3 shows Giant Bomb usually has, with guests shooting off and speaking their minds in a very relaxed and loose environment.

Hit the nail on the head.

tok9

Just curious, why is it called Judges week?

Judge kind of implies that they have the power to stop something being shown at E3 but it really just sounds like a preview event.

Auctopus

Judge kind of implies that they have the power to stop something being shown at E3 but it really just sounds like a preview event.

Not sure if you're a native English speaker but Judge can also mean an official that rates/reviews something i.e. a judge at a diving competition. That's why it's called judges week, it's also nothing but hype building.

Well done to Bosman on the 100th show, I still remember the "likeable guy gets his own GT show" thread.

Also, his drawings at the end were great. He's an excellent illustrator.

SeanTSC

Hmm I guess you could argue that too although they do neither of those things.

Judges' Week is for judging stuff, it's not really some "preview event" for press. It's a gathering of Editor in Chiefs and other select people in Games Media to judge trailers for the "E3 Awards" crap that you see plastered on boxes of shit like Evolve.

Best GT Live yet. Kyle and Elyse were excellent co-hosts, the guest was cool, the atmosphere just seemed much more relaxed without Brandon strangely. Like when a class has a substitute teacher for one lesson.

Auctopus

GT live was good, I wouldn't necessarily say it was better than Brandon's, just different. Elyse and Echo are nice, friendly personalities.

What I did like is how Kyle included the game the rest of the ream were playing with the rest of the show. Most of the time, I forget they're even playing a game in the background.

sora87

Fastest and loosest GT Live to date for sure, Brandon should just have Elyse co-host from now on. No idea who Echo was at the start, I was worried he was another Smosh douchebag, but he's pretty awesome so phew!

TheHall

GT live was good, I wouldn't necessarily say it was better than Brandon's, just different. Elyse and Echo are nice, friendly personalities.

What I did like is how Kyle included the game the rest of the ream were playing with the rest of the show. Most of the time, I forget they're even playing a game in the background.

Meh, i wasn't really blown away with it.

Bosman barely let his guest talk. I prefer the Jones at the helm

I had no idea who Echo was before the show, but he's awesome.

Yeah, he was a great guest and had a really fun chemistry with Elyse and Kyle. The Cutscene Theater bit went much better than last time. I also cracked up when the laptop powering the GT Live logo screens just died at the end. Kyle's plan to just lean into the chaos worked really well for his guest hosting duties.

TheHall

Fast and loose GT Live is the best kind of GT Live. I sort of want them to rotate hosts just to see how other people would handle it.

I think there are plenty of Fast and Loose shows on the internet.
I liked the rigid format of GT Live as it functions as a great platform for guests to talk about interesting stuff.

If i wanted to hear Kyle talk more, there are plenty of other shows to do that.

tok9

Well Kyle explained exactly what Judges week was and SeanTSC you were spot on.

Have to say I hate that crap. Giving awards and then they get thrown all over the place by marketing.

UrbanRats

I agree with TheHall, however he got better in the second half.
But in general, they should've made it more guest-centric.

He didn't even get to answer some fan questions in the end.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Did Huber mention something once about wanting to host a gameshow? I've got some concepts for shows he could host, almost feel like sending them his way on the off chance one of them gets him hyped.

Fbh

GT live was fun.
I didn't know the guest but he seemed like a pretty cool guy.

It's definitely less structured and rigid with Kyle hosting. For GT live I preffer the Jones style but having kyle host it as a change of pace was still fun, I hope he gets to host again when Brandon is out of the office

FYI, Matt made some tweaks to the front page today with separate sections highlighting show episodes and game coverage. Not sure if anyone here cares or if you all just use the YouTube, but hopefully it will help keep things visible.

Dsyndrome

FYI, Matt made some tweaks to the front page today with separate sections highlighting show episodes and game coverage. Not sure if anyone here cares or if you all just use the YouTube, but hopefully it will help keep things visible.

I go back and forth depending on my mood. Any updates to the site are appreciated.

Yonafunu

Nice, I'll check it out. I usually watch everything I can on the site (except GT Time), so thanks for this.

I want to get into the Tabletop videos but feel like I have left it to late due to how many there has been and not having the time to watch the backlog. I seem to remember someone stating they did an overviewl/reboot recently which helps with any new viewers, can anyone advise what episode that was?

Thanks

Hasney

I want to get into the Tabletop videos but feel like I have left it to late due to how many there has been and not having the time to watch the backlog. I seem to remember someone stating they did an overviewl/reboot recently which helps with any new viewers, can anyone advise what episode that was?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YsYq7hMQwI&index=6&list=PLaQokWZfgbyl8yzKQ_wadKQUnx5G5z9ph

Then from there, episode 24, which should be the episode above it in the playlist.

Mikey Jr.

Thanks

Not sure what the rush is to be honest. Just start from 1. They aren't going anywhere. And there isn't some huge discussion your missing out on or something.

More nights for mandatory update please, or make nights it's own show as the style isn't the same as the regular version anyways.
It's good to see them talk about gaming and pop culture stuff in that style in contrast to GT time's more rigid format. It's very fun and engaging.

Tregard

Soothsayer
More nights for mandatory update please, or make nights it's own show as the style isn't the same as the regular version anyways.
It's good to see them talk about gaming and pop culture stuff in that style in contrast to GT time's more rigid format. It's very fun and engaging.

I love how Nights stirs it up

Top Bottom