• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Today's Final Bosman was alright (I was super distracted by Kyle's awful hairstyle), but man, I wish I could summon any fucks for this week's GT Live guests. Voice actors are really hit and miss for this kind of stuff, but I find that it's generally better to not have them on a podcast unless there's an exciting thing they can actually talk about.

Probably the best LITL so far.

Elyse really surprised me in this episode. It's really weird how she explains her love of the underdog character and it's edited in with friggin' Batman...but I'm definitely with her that Ellie is an overrated character. I wasn't expecting her comment about Quelaag, I'm sure Iain can tell her the backstory.

N.B. I will never understand comments like Andrea's: "I never got in to this series, I don't get what's so great about the protagonist?" Well... play the games and you'll find out?

I don't get what is overrated about Ellie. She really has a problem with that game.

Servbot24

Banned
But when does it become overrated exactly?
When the number of people who praise something, exceeds what you think it deserves?
It's kind of an arbitrary definition.

there's no official committee of overratedness if that's what you're asking. it's an opinion like everything else.

there's no official committee of overratedness if that's what you're asking. it's an opinion like everything else.
Of course. It's just kind of meaningless without giving an argument. This adjective is rarely followed by arguments.

Saying Ellie as a character is overrated, is basically saying that she is not deserving of the praise she receives.
It goes beyond being a single opinion and shows resentment for the perceived quality by the majority.

Anyways, this is GT's thread and I don't want to derail it. Love the content they provide and they're really becoming one of my favorite sites.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Didn't realize one of the guests on GT Live was BJ's wife until he told her she has a sexy voice (missed the first part of the show). Thought it was inappropriate and weird that he was complimenting a guest like that lol

So BJ's had his mom and now his wife on the show. Are we going to get his dad and brother next? heh

Auctopus

Of course. It's just kind of meaningless without giving an argument. This adjective is rarely followed by arguments.

Well, so is your opinion then? Your argument would just be that she's not overrated and you feel that her character is well-deserving of the praise. How's that any different than mine except that I disagree with the general consensus about how amazing she is? There isn't any argument to make, it's my opinion.

Buttons.

Just watched GT Live. How on earth can they justify leaving Pro Evolution Soccer out of the Top 10 Konami Franchises Countdown? Sports fans or not, it is a huge series.

ISS/PES absolutely dominated the PS 1 and 2 era.

SHAMBLES!

Well, so is your opinion then? Your argument would just be that she's not overrated and you feel that her character is well-deserving of the praise. How's that any different than mine except that I disagree with the general consensus about how amazing she is? There isn't any argument to make, it's my opinion.

Buttons.

I don't have an issue with your opinion. I have an issue with someone stating something is overrated at all. It just rubs me the wrong way.
I kind of explained my point in the rest of that post you quoted. I posted all of that for a reason.

tok9

Just finished GT Live and I too am a bit surprised that PES didn't make the Top 10 but as they said it is a GT rating so not like they are saying it's the definitive list.

tok9

And now I understand all the button's comments.

I was wondering why the hell is there another 2 minutes to go in this video :)

UrbanRats

Just watched GT Live. How on earth can they justify leaving Pro Evolution Soccer out of the Top 10 Konami Franchises Countdown? Sports fans or not, it is a huge series.

ISS/PES absolutely dominated the PS 1 and 2 era.

SHAMBLES!

Yeah in the ps2 days PES was MASSIVE here in Europe, from an American standpoint, though, it was probably a different story.

Auctopus

That was one of my favourite tabletop adventures yet purely due to character interaction. Although, after the cut at the end, did Ian look incredibly pissed to anyone else?

Hasney

Man, such a horrible joke from Ian on GT Time saying they cut down their countdown to E3 videos this year by the same amount they cut staff. Horrible, but accurate and funny.

Love how Kyle not knowing the alphabet is now a thing on the Bethesda E3 video as well now.

Last GT time kinda sucked. I get that they want to talk about new announcements, but if you don't really know shit about the games, maybe don't spend 30 minutes struggling to talk about it. It was just a bizarre, plodding, boring episode

Yeah, the XCOM 2 portion of GT Time was goddamn terrible. Literally no one on the panel, nor Ian, knew a single thing about it aside from what could be gleaned from the trailer. I get that these folks are all busy, but at least try to read something about it before you talk about it.

tok9

Tabletop was great alright, the awkward anger actually made it at certain times.

Obviously things didn't end so well but I don't really mind that to be honest, shows that they care anyway and I'm sure they're all laughing about it now!

Auctopus

Really tired of the Huber thing becoming a meme in the comments. The whole water/sapporo man is so pathetic and I can just see the user waiting at the screen for all those juicy youtube likes. Wish GT would just ban them (if thats possible).

Hasney

Really tired of the Huber thing becoming a meme in the comments. The whole water/sapporo man is so pathetic and I can just see the user waiting at the screen for all those juicy youtube likes. Wish GT would just ban them (if thats possible).

Nah, can't ban YouTube commenters. It's why they're such a shithole.

sora87

That Tabletop was intense, the weird cut at the end makes it seem like they came to blows and just had to edit it out. :/

RedAssedApe

Banned
There's a "Hide this user's comments on this channel" option along with just removing an individual comment, so that's effectively a ban.

or just don't read the yt comments. if i feel like commenting on a video i'll bounce over to gametrailers.com and comment there as that place is actually able to be moderated by GT staff.

Myggen

or just don't read the yt comments. if i feel like commenting on a video i'll bounce over to gametrailers.com and comment there as that place is actually able to be moderated by GT staff.

Obviously. I've got a Chrome extension that hides all YT comments for me just in case I should get curious.

Visceir

Tabletop was great alright, the awkward anger actually made it at certain times.

Obviously things didn't end so well but I don't really mind that to be honest, shows that they care anyway and I'm sure they're all laughing about it now!

Yeah, things got weird. Also getting tired of Hogger's schtick. Should just kill him off.

Visceir

Huber knows that Hogger can't die, there won't be any significant negative effects to his actions and this cheapens the story. He just disregards any logic or survival instincts in Hogger's actions and it's happening more and more frequently. Ben did say that he would raise the stakes, but the stuff he came up with doesn't really make a difference.

Should just give Hogger permanent stat penalties every time he drops down to 0 hp until his battle ablities become near useless. Considering all the injuries he has detained it would make sense too.

And Hogger just randomly slaughtering random bystanding characters? Doesn't really make the character very likeable.

UrbanRats

Huber knows that Hogger can't die, there won't be any significant negative effects to his actions and this cheapens the story. He just disregards any logic or survival instincts in Hogger's actions and it's happening more and more frequently. Ben did say that he would raise the stakes, but the stuff he came up with doesn't really make a difference.

Should just give Hogger permanent stat penalties every time he drops down to 0 hp until his battle ablities become near useless. Considering all the injuries he has detained it would make sense too.

And Hogger just randomly slaughtering random bystanding characters? Doesn't really make the character very likeable.
I agree with the bolded, but a character doesn't have to likable to be funny or interesting.
And in the latest episodes (didn't see the last one yet) he's been consistently the origin of the funniest moments.

UrbanRats

New Bonus Round, this week it is Nintendo E3 preview:
https://youtu.be/LE8-WGrjRGg

Bah.
As usual, you know, BR feel so stiff and controlled.
I'd go as far as to say that it feels completely pointless, given how obvious, shallow and safe the answers usually are.

At least when Pachter was on, you could get something a bit more interesting from him.

And i'm blaming the format, because when you look at someone like Jeff Gerstman, who usually has pretty interesting positions, he comes off in the same stilted, safe manner, too.

Hasney

I'm really hoping the next show GameTrailers do is a gameshow for Huber.

Yo Huber, I've got some ideas, hit me up.

He could do game versions of all the major gameshows with a couple of staffers and a special guest each week. That would be brilliant.

Tregard

Soothsayer
He could do game versions of all the major gameshows with a couple of staffers and a special guest each week. That would be brilliant.

Huber's Video Gameshow Marathon

- Wheel of Fortune
- Jeopardy!
- Millionaire
- Only Connect
- Pointless / Family Feud

I'm sure there are more, I mostly know British gameshows

(I will write questions for these, btw)

Top Bottom