• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Sounds pretty fancy for a broom cupboard. Are your brooms made from unicorn hair?

Oh no, something far more precious than mere unicorn hair... the fallen and gathered locks of the mythical mind-cleansing Bloodworth mane. Have you ever heard tale of an invisible mustache? Look very closely when a solitary Bloodworth is chanced upon grazing under flickering and faded lighting conditions and you just may spot the invisible horn.

Tabris

So Defy Media is really gutting game trailers out. I wonder how long they will survive?

In less then 12 months, they've had multiple rounds of layoffs, 2 office moves, and a huge shrinking of their budget.

luchadork

I am constantly scared that GT is going to get shut down. The content is so good. It is my favourite site online. I love the personalities. But I do worry about the way they try to grow their audience. The move to youtube was smart. But why the two separate channels? The move to twitch was smart. But why limit it to 1 hour a day? And why not upload the streams to youtube? Why didn't they capitalise on the shenmue announcement? You still have to go to someone else's channel to watch that in the best format. I mean obviously thats not the only thing. But I am shocked they didnt do more with that. So many of my gaming friends who don't know about GT saw that video. But they didn't get driven to GT afterwards. It was a one and done deal. I'm just some loser on the internet, so obviously I know nothing about the realities of making YT content. But it seems like they are adverse to making money sometimes. And ultimately they need to make as much money as possible so I get to keep seeing them every day.

GT. There is nothing wrong with asking for support. Its cool to try and sell me stuff. Bonus content. Subscriptions. Ads. Patreons. Special events. Whatever. You have to ask though. And make it available. I don't think you make much money from Youtube. But you can use it as a tool to make money. The same goes with Twitch. You've gotta start whoring yourselves out before its too late. Do it for me. I want to see Bosman, Huber, Moore, et all, together. Help me, help you. I know 1 person channels that put out more content per day, market themselves better, and whore harder for money, while still making content I enjoy watching. If 1 person can do it, surely a big group can.

Hasney

Yeah, it's one of those things where you look at it and something like Smosh has so many more viewers because the kids run YouTube. But, GT likely has a fanbase with more disposable income so it's fair game to exploit that in a non-intrusive way.

UrbanRats

I am constantly scared that GT is going to get shut down. The content is so good. It is my favourite site online. I love the personalities. But I do worry about the way they try to grow their audience. The move to youtube was smart. But why the two separate channels? The move to twitch was smart. But why limit it to 1 hour a day? And why not upload the streams to youtube? Why didn't they capitalise on the shenmue announcement? You still have to go to someone else's channel to watch that in the best format. I mean obviously thats not the only thing. But I am shocked they didnt do more with that. So many of my gaming friends who don't know about GT saw that video. But they didn't get driven to GT afterwards. It was a one and done deal. I'm just some loser on the internet, so obviously I know nothing about the realities of making YT content. But it seems like they are adverse to making money sometimes. And ultimately they need to make as much money as possible so I get to keep seeing them every day.

GT. There is nothing wrong with asking for support. Its cool to try and sell me stuff. Bonus content. Subscriptions. Ads. Patreons. Special events. Whatever. You have to ask though. And make it available. I don't think you make much money from Youtube. But you can use it as a tool to make money. The same goes with Twitch. You've gotta start whoring yourselves out before its too late. Do it for me. I want to see Bosman, Huber, Moore, et all, together. Help me, help you. I know 1 person channels that put out more content per day, market themselves better, and whore harder for money, while still making content I enjoy watching. If 1 person can do it, surely a big group can.
Sell the Gamescom song for millions = Problem solved.

I'm really worried about GT again. News like that never mean a good thing and I always have Ian's constant "going out of business" jokes in my mind.

And then you see how totally clueless they are about things like socialblade and you really have to wonder why. And as annoying as these things are, but the thumbnails at the end of the videos had to be there from the beginning. It's great that they hate it and made fun of it, when they eventually started doing them, but people do them for a reason. I know that they didn't start out as a YouTube company and that the transition is still in progress if you will, but stuff like that can be so important. I'm honestly a bit surprised that no one from Defy is helping them out a bit more in that regard.

sora87

Yeah, gotta wonder why Defy even brought them over if they're not supporting them or helping them grow.
I honestly don't know what I'd watch online without GT.. I mean I enjoy the Kinda Funny stuff but that's about it other than gametrailers.

UrbanRats

Yeah, gotta wonder why Defy even brought them over if they're not supporting them or helping them grow.
I honestly don't know what I'd watch online without GT.. I mean I enjoy the Kinda Funny stuff but that's about it other than gametrailers.

I wouldn't follow anything outside of neoGAF, regarding gaming, basically.
Not in terms of original content, anyway.

TheHall

They need to take themselves more seriously as an outlet and utilize their talent better.

I remember a couple of months ago, someone on the chat asked Kyle "How come you aren't more internet famous than you are now?"

He response was: "Because i don't really care for it".

Really Kyle? You went through 2 rounds of layoffs, losing co-workers and you as the guy with the most followers of all GT Staff "Don't really care" about expanding your brand?

Employee of the month right there!

They probably do what they can on social media with their current skeleton crew, but when someone is running a fake Buttons account and he/she has over 10K followers, they should realize what a "real" Buttons could accomplish.

GT is my absolute favorite games outlet, but they leave a lot of potential on the table when it comes to their viewership.

luchadork

I am purely speculating here… but i wonder how much of this comes down to GT thinking of themselves more as journalists/critics rather than entertainers/personalities and that “selling out” (otherwise know as “doing what people do to eat”) would somehow delegitimise what they do as their profession?

Artists want to create. They don’t want to sell. But the closed mouth doesn’t get fed and they need to wake up to this as soon as possible.

As a few of you have mentioned already KindaFunnyGames is a pretty awesome channel with a similar vibe to GT. Afaik they’re pulling in ~$50k a month just from their patreon. Accepting for a fact they would likely receive a portion of that. They also have show sponsors. Their twitch streams. Their separate KindaFunny channel. Do channel crossovers. And put on live events. They mention ALOT about their need for support. They also incentivise support by giving supporters early access to their content. Also i think their content is less produced which cuts down on costs and lets stuff get put online quicker. Maybe their business model might be worth having a look at?

GT on the other hand refuse to update their broken and oft-complained about website. Have fragmented and obfuscated their videos into 3 channels (GT, GT reviews, and Twitch). And only put out about an hour of content a day (of which you have to be online and on twitch to see the majority of). Which for 8 people, seems kinda low. I follow SpencerOwen on youtube and he puts out a highly produced video every day of the week on two channels, plus streams on twitch, collaborates with other channels, and is very engaged on social media. I literally just watched a series he produced which involved over 20 other youtube personalities and culminated in a big event at Wembley Stadium in England. Thats just one person. GT has 8 people. At least. Why aren’t we getting more than just a ‘whats the deal’ video per day and a one hour block of disney infinity?

I just get the feeling that the business side of GT is going to be their demise. There so much opportunity there for GT to just run wild with but they don’t seem to want to grab it and it hurts me in my heart.

TheHall

I just get the feeling that the business side of GT is going to be their demise. There so much opportunity there for GT to just run wild with but they don’t seem to want to grab it and it hurts me in my heart.

I think you are right, they are all artistic in their own way. Blood seems like a good manager though, may he live forever.

It's hard to critique them as they are really seem to be using all the resources they are given. It's really Defy's fault for buying it, stripping it and then not support it.

Still, i log in every day to give them all the clicks i can! Stay strong GT!

Marow

I've seen talk about Bosman's stand-up routine being 8PM this Thursday (today?!), but is there a timer or something? Or source?

Hasney

Just saw this on Bosmans twitter too

Huber Hype, GT Time, and GT Live will stay where they are. Everything else, live streams included, will be in a new studio

I believe it's been said multiple times that they're migrating off of Viacom's systems and onto a new site. I do find it interesting that after a full year since the acquisition, they haven't started to expand again. Typically when companies get acquired, they're gutted and then rebuilt after things stabilize. I've looked at Defy's careers page a bunch of times in hopes that something at GT was open, but it's pretty much all Smosh and Clevver that's hiring. I'm not a doom and gloom person, but it's troubling to see a company get acquired and then just sit there. I really hope there's a plan in motion to expand on content, or they're at least brainstorming ideas for new directions to move in.

With all that said, I don't think it's all bad. I think it's unfair of you guys to say that they should be putting out more content simply because solo YouTubers do more at a higher rate. Not all 8 of these people are content creators, nor do all 8 of these people know how to edit video. I can only imagine what Ian and Don's hours are like, especially during conventions. These are 8 people who survived a pretty hellish sale and acquisition and managed to have their brand NOT turn to complete shit. Sure, their website is pretty bad, but being on YouTube helps that a ton.

TheHall

With all that said, I don't think it's all bad. I think it's unfair of you guys to say that they should be putting out more content simply because solo YouTubers do more at a higher rate. .

Yeah, i think most people mean by that that they should be given the resources to do that.

Not that they are a bunch of slackers

Yeah, i think most people mean by that that they should be given the resources to do that.

Not that they are a bunch of slackers

Oh I don't think anyone thinks they're slackers. But I think people assume they all have the skills to produce content on their own from start to finish. Maybe they do, but I don't think they do.

ArjanN

They need to take themselves more seriously as an outlet and utilize their talent better.

I remember a couple of months ago, someone on the chat asked Kyle "How come you aren't more internet famous than you are now?"

He response was: "Because i don't really care for it".

Really Kyle? You went through 2 rounds of layoffs, losing co-workers and you as the guy with the most followers of all GT Staff "Don't really care" about expanding your brand?

Employee of the month right there!

They probably do what they can on social media with their current skeleton crew, but when someone is running a fake Buttons account and he/she has over 10K followers, they should realize what a "real" Buttons could accomplish.

GT is my absolute favorite games outlet, but they leave a lot of potential on the table when it comes to their viewership.

While they probably do leave some opportunities on the table, a lot of that stuff is also the reason a lot of youtube/streaming stuff is garbage.

TheHall

While they probably do leave some opportunities on the table, a lot of that stuff is also the reason a lot of youtube/streaming stuff is garbage.

That's not where i am going with this.

Their content is fine and the right amounts as well.

I don't really need HOURS of content a day, nobody has time for that. It's how they position themselves marketing and promotional wise.

Where's the countdown?

t1439521200z4.png

Auctopus

Really hope GT are able to stick around, they've been my favourite every gaming site for a long time. I'd contribute to a Patreon.

One complaint: Some episodes of GT Live are basically just a GT Presents: VO Podcast - I know Brandon must enjoy it a lot but so much of the content is irrelevant and a little self-indulgent.

sora87

I'd like to see them stream more on twitch, maybe two different blocks per day, and keep at a game until completion, the one-off kinda thing gets frustrating.

TheHall

Really hope GT are able to stick around, they've been my favourite every gaming site for a long time. I'd contribute to a Patreon.

One complaint: Some episodes of GT Live are basically just a GT Presents: VO Podcast - I know Brandon must enjoy it a lot but so much of the content is irrelevant and a little self-indulgent.

I kinda like the VO's they get, but the fucking chat just asks the same questions every time

Hasney

On a lighter note, I really enjoyed the Hype Check with Huber talking about an announcement and looking at it in a balanced way. Pretty good for a first effort.

Umibozu

On a lighter note, I really enjoyed the Hype Check with Huber talking about an announcement and looking at it in a balanced way. Pretty good for a first effort.
yea, it was a good change of pace for a video, hope it becomes a semi-regular segment

Vinc

I would patreon the hell out of Gametrailers if they were to go independent and were willing to have that lifestyle.

Edit: To clarify, I mean I'd support their patreon! They provide me with more entertainment than Netflix these days, and I pay 15 bucks a month for that.

Sami+

I keep checking Tabletop's feed constantly every Thursday. Still nothing - it's been almost a month... Still no ep today? :/

Would ABSOLUTELY back a Patreon if it meant more consistency.

sinxtanx

Hype Check was a nice surprise.
I always enjoy the journalistic/analytical/insightful side of GT, it's something many similar sites are kinda lackluster at, and I think they should focus on that in tandem with their more entertainment-style videos when trying to grow the site in order to stand out.

And yes, since the GT audience probably skews a bit higher than what's popular on YouTube, Patreon sounds like a logical step. Let me give you my money directly, GT.

Top Bottom