• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

I am purely speculating here… but i wonder how much of this comes down to GT thinking of themselves more as journalists/critics rather than entertainers/personalities and that “selling out” (otherwise know as “doing what people do to eat”) would somehow delegitimise what they do as their profession?

Artists want to create. They don’t want to sell. But the closed mouth doesn’t get fed and they need to wake up to this as soon as possible.

As a few of you have mentioned already KindaFunnyGames is a pretty awesome channel with a similar vibe to GT. Afaik they’re pulling in ~$50k a month just from their patreon. Accepting for a fact they would likely receive a portion of that. They also have show sponsors. Their twitch streams. Their separate KindaFunny channel. Do channel crossovers. And put on live events. They mention ALOT about their need for support. They also incentivise support by giving supporters early access to their content. Also i think their content is less produced which cuts down on costs and lets stuff get put online quicker. Maybe their business model might be worth having a look at?

GT on the other hand refuse to update their broken and oft-complained about website. Have fragmented and obfuscated their videos into 3 channels (GT, GT reviews, and Twitch). And only put out about an hour of content a day (of which you have to be online and on twitch to see the majority of). Which for 8 people, seems kinda low. I follow SpencerOwen on youtube and he puts out a highly produced video every day of the week on two channels, plus streams on twitch, collaborates with other channels, and is very engaged on social media. I literally just watched a series he produced which involved over 20 other youtube personalities and culminated in a big event at Wembley Stadium in England. Thats just one person. GT has 8 people. At least. Why aren’t we getting more than just a ‘whats the deal’ video per day and a one hour block of disney infinity?

I just get the feeling that the business side of GT is going to be their demise. There so much opportunity there for GT to just run wild with but they don’t seem to want to grab it and it hurts me in my heart.

Try not to lose sight of the fact that you have no idea what is actually going on at GT/Defy

ito007

I'm not taking too much out of the studio move. I mean, if one team needs the space more than the other, it's not hard to blame management of that. Yeah it might lead to something more drastic, but it's no use to think that far really. They'll keep trying to produce great content no matter what. It's just a change of space.

Umibozu

kyle got off easy with the heckling, if ian and brandon were there I imagine it wouldn't have been nearly as fun/successful for kyle to troll

edit:GT Time is up

luchadork

where can i watch the standup?

found it...

another classic example of GT capitalising on excited viewers... /s

(sorry for bringing so much negativity to the thread. i really love GT. i just fear for them. you've got a whole bunch of people looking forward to this. and you end up telling animal jokes and then deleting the video from your channel? how does anyone think thats a good idea?)

Auctopus

I just skipped through the special this morning and thought it was pretty funny. Anyone who legitametly disappointed, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

luchadork

I've seen his standup on youtube. Albeit 5 minutes worth. I also know how funny he can be. He's one of the most creative dudes in the industry. So yeh, I was hoping for more than stupid animal jokes. I was expecting originality. You know. What he was supposed to do and everyone legitimately was expecting. Ultimately I'm more disappointed that there was a lot of people who aren't super GT stans like me who tuned in and thought wtf is this and immediately tuned out.

This shit drives me mad. They wasted a month of enthusiasm for an hour of shit they obviously knew was below-par too otherwise they wouldnt have deleted it. What was the point? Who thinks this was a good idea? Is there noone in charge going 'dudes. lets actually put some effort into this. theres some solid good will behind it.'? Someone business minded needs to give the auteurs a little guidance otherwise auteurs are going to be in austin streaming FF14 to 14 viewers on twitch and the rest of us are going to be left with nothing but a bunch of what ifs.

I've not watched it yet, but I can't understand how anyone can be upset about this stand up not being original.

No PROFESSIONAL comedian would be able to come up with an hours worth of original material in the amount of time Bosman had, even if they had nothing else to do, unlike Kyle who has to think of his show and GT Time, and Tabletop and everything else. I said when Huber first mentioned it how preposterous the bet is. It was asking far, far too much.

luchadork

I've not watched it yet, but I can't understand how anyone can be upset about this stand up not being original.

No PROFESSIONAL comedian would be able to come up with an hours worth of original material in the amount of time Bosman had, even if they had nothing else to do, unlike Kyle who has to think of his show and GT Time, and Tabletop and everything else. I said when Huber first mentioned it how preposterous the bet is. It was asking far, far too much.

what are you talking about? bill burr does an hour of new material on his podcast every week. there are plenty of professional comedians who come up with an hour of material every week. yes, some of them have writers, but what do you think the writers do? they write jokes. it is entirely possible to write an hour of jokes in a week. he had 2 months. the key word in all of this is 'professional'. sometimes these guys just aren't as professional as they could be.

he could’ve written 15 minutes of jokes. he could’ve performed some of his old, already written songs. he could’ve made a little animation and played it. he could’ve shot a buttons video or a schluffe video and incorporated it into the show. he could’ve done a whole bunch of shit that padded up the hour. he could’ve just done 10 minutes of jokes and had a video of him getting interrupted by liquid bosman and the show being cut short or something involving huber or anything i dunno. he literally did the lowest effort option possible.

tuxfool

Banned
I've seen his standup on youtube. Albeit 5 minutes worth. I also know how funny he can be. He's one of the most creative dudes in the industry. So yeh, I was hoping for more than stupid animal jokes. I was expecting originality. You know. What he was supposed to do and everyone legitimately was expecting. Ultimately I'm more disappointed that there was a lot of people who aren't super GT stans like me who tuned in and thought wtf is this and immediately tuned out.

This shit drives me mad. They wasted a month of enthusiasm for an hour of shit they obviously knew was below-par too otherwise they wouldnt have deleted it. What was the point? Who thinks this was a good idea? Is there noone in charge going 'dudes. lets actually put some effort into this. theres some solid good will behind it.'? Someone business minded needs to give the auteurs a little guidance otherwise auteurs are going to be in austin streaming FF14 to 14 viewers on twitch and the rest of us are going to be left with nothing but a bunch of what ifs.

He lost a bet, he went about it in the cheapest possible way. He kept telling people to stop watching. There is nothing else to it. It was expected to be a train wreck and this delivered on that.

UrbanRats

Lol, luchadork, let's be real here.
First of all, 1 hour of real comedy material is impossible to put together in a bunch of weeks, unless MAYBE, if you're a very talented comedian.
Kyle is a funny dude no doubt, but he's likely not the next George Carlin.

Second of all, during these weeks, he wasn't sitting around with a pencil, thinking up his amazing jokes, he was still doing whatever he had to do for the site, including covering Gamescom.

Third of all, he didn't really go to Brandon and go "you know what? I want to do a 1 hour comedy special to get in more views", he lost a bet and paid the price set by Huber arbitrarily, so you can't really hold that against him.

Finally, people coming to GT because they saw a random guy perform in a stand up with random jokes on twitch, wouldn't stick around for long, since that's not really what you get out of the site regularly.

Whether you found the exploit of trapping Huber funny or not, it was only logic to not expect Kyle to fill up an hour with legit material, since they have trouble doing a Mandatory Update every week, which is basically a similar thing, but much shorter.

First of all, 1 hour of real comedy material is impossible to put together in a bunch of weeks, unless MAYBE, if you're a very talented comedian.

Second of all, during these weeks, he wasn't sitting around with a pencil, thinking up his amazing jokes, he was still doing whatever he had to do for the site, including covering Gamescom.

Third of all, he didn't really go to Brandon and go "you know what? I want to do a 1 hour comedy special to get in more views", he lost a bet and paid the price set by Huber arbitrarily, so you can't really hold that against him.

Finally, people coming to GT because they saw a random guy perform in a stand up with random jokes on twitch, wouldn't stick around for long, since that's not really what you get out of the site regularly.

Whether you found the exploit of trapping Huber funny or not, it was only logic to not expect Kyle to fill up an hour with legit material, since they have trouble doing a Mandatory Update every week, which is basically a similar thing, but much shorter.

All of this? I agree with.

A podcast and a standup routine are two completely different things.

Auctopus

Completely agree.

Luchadork, you're being unreasonable just like the other people in the main thread.

I can't believe such a harmless twitch stream created so much backlash.

Does anyone else notice how the GT community on GAF seems to be isolated to this thread until they 'mess up' in some way then suddenly the whole of GAF knows everything about them?

Just like the Huber reaction reaction, just too many people piping up who don't know what they're talking about. Anyone who was expecting te production and quality of an HBO is special is just an idiot. I subscribe to GT cause I love the crew and want to see them producing the content that I like, I don't need them to produce an hour long quality comedy stream (seeing as they're journalist/gamers) based off a silly bet they made over E3.

The people who were mad, why did you tune in? Did you want to laugh AT Bosman or did you seriously think he was going to produce an hour of top-rate comedy in a month? It's just a bit of fun and tbh, I wouldn't have cared if Bosman hadn't followed through with the bet.

Also, luchadork. A podcast is not an hour of quality comedy no matter how funny you find it. Additionally, Bill Burr has all the time in the world to write jokes whereas Bosman has a day job.

Having seen his standup on YouTube, I was a little miffed that he just told animal jokes for an hour. That said, he lost a bet and paid his dues accordingly. That an they had a sub train of like 10 people by the end of it. Can't hate on that!

tok9

I just had it on in the background while I worked.

Totally stupid stuff that I got a laugh out of here and there. Can't ask for much more.

It was like listening to a worse version of Ellie's pun books.

Whatever happens, I hope they hold onto that Guitars tshirt for next time.

tok9

Just listened to a bit of Smash Bros and they were saying chat were complaining that only subs were playing against GT.

I think that seems pretty fair. I'm not a sub just because most of the streams are way too late for me so I generally just catch the archive but it seems fair that the subs get preference if they do play multiplayer.

It's nice that subs are supporting GT but people who sub don't actually seem to get that much. It's nice to see that they are increasing the amount of interactivity.

If I was them, they should have 1 night a week for multiplayer matches. If a month is 4 weeks long, 3 weeks should be playing with subs and 1 week for playing with anyone.

Just listened to a bit of Smash Bros and they were saying chat were complaining that only subs were playing against GT.

I think that seems pretty fair. I'm not a sub just because most of the streams are way too late for me so I generally just catch the archive but it seems fair that the subs get preference if they do play multiplayer.

It's nice that subs are supporting GT but people who sub don't actually seem to get that much. It's nice to see that they are increasing the amount of interactivity.

If I was them, they should have 1 night a week for multiplayer matches. If a month is 4 weeks long, 3 weeks should be playing with subs and 1 week for playing with anyone.

At the end of the message they sent to subs, they asked for more game ideas that they can play with subs. Knowing that Blood is in this thread, feel free to post ideas if you have them!

Vorpal

This 100%. You said everything better than I could have.

Billy Conolly did 5 nights at the Sydney Opera house and as a bet each night had completely different and new material for each night. The bet was made when he arrived in Australia, so he had very little time to prepare.

I'm not comparing Bosman to Connolly, but your sweeping statement really annoyed me.

Woffls

Really enjoyed the stand-up. If Bosman had taken the approach we were all expecting, it would probably have been quite disappointing and awkward. But this way, we get to see Huber trapped in a room playing RE6 listening to awful animal jokes. That in itself was incredibly funny.

Billy Conolly did 5 nights at the Sydney Opera house and as a bet each night had completely different and new material for each night. The bet was made when he arrived in Australia, so he had very little time to prepare.

I'm not comparing Bosman to Connolly, but your sweeping statement really annoyed me.

I bet it wasn't any good though.

You know, on account of Connolly not even being funny when he has time to prepare an' all...

It's not really a sweeping statement. If comedians could rattle off hours of material willy nilly don't you think they'd be doing so?

I enjoy both gentlemen but the culprit here are the abstarct pie-in-the-sky stakes that Michael "Shenmue 3 is Real" Huber creates. Bosman sticks to (lame) tangible consequences. It goes like this :

Bosman: "If I win you have to wear this GIANT foam COWBOY hat and yodel for at least one minute. Hahaha, your'e going to look so silly."
Huber: "Okay, okay Bozzy... but not IF... but WHEN I WIN you have to run for president of the ENTIRE United States!"
Bosman: "Huber, I'm not running for president."
Huber: "I'm not done! In your quest to be the top official in the land you also have to run AS A REPUBLICAN!"
Bosman: "That's just stupid."
Huber: "AND you have to poll HIGHER than Rick Perry in Iowa!"
Bosman: "Okay, I can do that."

UrbanRats

I enjoy both gentlemen but the culprit here are the abstarct pie-in-the-sky stakes that Michael "Shenmue 3 is Real" Huber creates. Bosman sticks to (lame) tangible consequences. It goes like this :

Bosman: "If I win you have to wear this GIANT foam COWBOY hat and yodel for at least one minute. Hahaha, your'e going to look so silly."
Huber: "Okay, okay Bozzy... but not IF... but WHEN I WIN you have to run for president of the ENTIRE United States!"
Bosman: "Huber, I'm not running for president."
Huber: "I'm not done! In your quest to be the top official in the land you also have to run AS A REPUBLICAN!"
Bosman: "That's just stupid."
Huber: "AND you have to poll HIGHER than Rick Perry in Iowa!"
Bosman: "Okay, I can do that."
That is actually a perfect summation of Final Bets, lol.

Kyle is too soft and lame with Huber though: RAISE THE STAKES, KYLE!

Rockk

The great thing about Kyle standup is thatt Kyle loves being the bad guy so all the people salty about what he did only fuels him.

So good.

Speaking of which, Ben said a while ago the Souls retrospective was finished (or something Demon's Souls related?). Is it on the way?

He hasn't been able to get back to it yet no. He might have space in a couple weeks, but there are some other ideas kicking around too.

Top Bottom