• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

TGS stream Kyle looking like The Final Bombsman

Unabomber-sketch.png

SeanTSC

Watched sony press conference stream. Kyle picked his nose a lot, ben was overly enthusiastic, it was funny how they thought nioh was a dark souls clone. The only drawback that I took issue with was the 'compromised' statements like somehow if those games were exclusive they would look a lot better. Yes, they could look better but that is more down to budgetary issues than the games being ps4 exclusive.

It's not just about "graphics". Of course something will be compromised in someway by being on the Vita. Just on the RAM alone that totally changes how you do basic level design and even UI stuff. Just look at how insanely compromised FFXIV on the PC is by the PS3 version existing where they have to fight tooth and nail for extra UI parts.

Zones instead of open areas, loading instead of seamless transitions, object count, npc count, etc. If you don't think the RAM difference on the Vita Vs. PS4 causes constraints when developing a game for both, unless they're completely different in design, then you're purposely pulling the wool over your eyes.

Umibozu

It's not just about "graphics". Of course something will be compromised in someway by being on the Vita. Just on the RAM alone that totally changes how you do basic level design and even UI stuff. Just look at how insanely compromised FFXIV on the PC is by the PS3 version existing where they have to fight tooth and nail for extra UI parts.

Zones instead of open areas, loading instead of seamless transitions, object count, npc count, etc. If you don't think the RAM difference on the Vita Vs. PS4 causes constraints when developing a game for both, unless they're completely different in design, then you're purposely pulling the wool over your eyes.

I would agree with all your points.

The problem is that all their previous complaints came from the perspective of the graphics taking a hit. If they had stated their reservations as such I wouldn't had taken issue with it, but in past year in which they complained about games being compromised they haven't once framed it in the way you did.

Some of the games may have also started as vita exclusive games, but were ported to take advantage of foreign markets and may not have existed otherwise.
I don't own a vita and prefer to play on a big screen too, but I even found them ragging on the vita to be tiresome after a while.

Also in regards to 14, wouldn't square still 'compromise' the game even without a ps3 version so that entry level PCs could play the game too?
I'm asking because I personally don't know and actually am curious to the answer.

I loved the intro the the Final Bosman. It took me a minute to realize he was parodying the translation. I do appreciate the sentiment of knowing the order to make announcements.
Not to be a weeaboo, but Kyles hangup of the COD dude saying Koni-Shiwa instead if Koni-Chiwa is pretty stupid and irrelevant.
Ch and Sh are the same sound in Japanese (J too) and can be mixed and matched.
Sorry, this isn't true at all. While I don't think Japanese people are bothered too much by a non-native speaker messing up an individual greeting (I would assume low expectations), the sounds definitely can't be mixed and matched and they are all represented by (mostly) distinct characters in both of the Japanese alphabets. Case in point: nichi is day while nishi is west. I honestly don't think it was funny to the crowd (they probably barely noticed it), so it was kind of a silly thing for Kyle to point out.

Unrelated: I want to know who is Square Enix's vice director of weird naming conventions.

MrPanic

Good to see the real Final Bosman back. The fact that he's been set in the corner of the room amuses me to no end. It works though. Good show.

wiibomb

Too many highlights in that TGS recap video. PSO2 is highlight when it's a 3 year old game you'll never play?

while I agree that PSO2 wouldn't be such huge, even if it never comes here, it was a deal for Japan, and that Sony conference is for, well, Japan...

and having too much highlights just shows how good of a job they did on their conference

The elusive heavensward review has come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIa9N2vma0

I realized about halfway through that the music is from the Bismarck trial. It's pretty solid, I like the choice. I agree with Ben on a lot of the points about Heavensward (especially the music. I've actually said multiple times to friends how much I like the music). Also I agree 100% about the leveling path being kind of bumpy. I just reached 58 and I'm already nearly done with the story quests for that level so I'll probably have to spend a day or two grinding to get to 59 and unlock more main story quests.

Meh I wish GT and a few others would stop complaining about PSO2. So few foreigners have been perma banned from it for no reason that there is no reason not to try it. They said they would block foreign IP back at launch years ago and never went through with it. Not to mention a full blown english patch for PC by fans, #justdoit

Great review. I really want to play Heavensward now, but I never played a mmo before.

Sorry, this isn't true at all. While I don't think Japanese people are bothered too much by a non-native speaker messing up an individual greeting (I would assume low expectations), the sounds definitely can't be mixed and matched and they are all represented by (mostly) distinct characters in both of the Japanese alphabets.

Different characters but the same sounds. Your example romanized it, you just can't do that and get the right results. Our alphabet lacks the consonants.

Atlus what have you done. Hopes and dreams: Crushed.

I haven't checked at this point, but does anyone know if GT is going to be streaming anymore press conferences?

Different characters but the same sounds. Your example romanized it, you just can't do that and get the right results. Our alphabet lacks the consonants.
I'll just say right off the bat that I'm not a native speaker but I have studied Japanese for probably about 4-5 years at this point and I lived in Japan for the better part of a year.
し - shi
じ - ji
ち - chi

shi and chi are distinct characters. Ji is shi with dakuten (the little quotation marks) to indicate that it is voiced. They consonants in those characters absolutely sound different and I can assure you that a native speaker would hear the difference. Unless you're talking about the vowel sound in which case I apologize for making a mountain out of a molehill because you'd be absolutely right about that.

Auctopus

Atlus what have you done. Hopes and dreams: Crushed.

I haven't checked at this point, but does anyone know if GT is going to be streaming anymore press conferences? .

Paris Games Week if the hype is there and PSX unless they're actually attending. Possibly Blizzcon.

tok9

It's good news for the game to be honest.

More time to finish it and it comes out at a far more favourable time as opposed to the hectic fall season.

I'll admit it doesn't matter to me as I won't be able to play it till next year anyway.

It's good news for the game to be honest.

More time to finish it and it comes out at a far more favourable time as opposed to the hectic fall season.

I'll admit it doesn't matter to me as I won't be able to play it till next year anyway.

Instead it's now coming out in the biggest JRPG year since god knows when.

Just to keep expectations in check for Tabletop Adventures this week, I decided to try something new since Huber is out. Instead of the regular group, it's me, Brad, Don, and Brandon. They're not familiar with Dungeons & Dragons, so it took us awhile to find our footing. Also, a new group means we won't have the same chemistry, at least not yet. If you keep that in mind, I think it's interesting watching new players wrap their heads around the game.

UrbanRats

Just to keep expectations in check for Tabletop Adventures this week, I decided to try something new since Huber is out. Instead of the regular group, it's me, Brad, Don, and Brandon. They're not familiar with Dungeons & Dragons, so it took us awhile to find our footing. Also, a new group means we won't have the same chemistry, at least not yet. If you keep that in mind, I think it's interesting watching new players wrap their heads around the game.

Brandon in a TTA episode was one of the things i always wanted to see.
Looking forward to this.
Although i was imagining him to participate in a Fiasco episode.

Sami+

I still haven't gotten to listen to this or last week's ep because the podcast versions haven't been uploaded yet... :(

edit - oohh technical difficulties. I really really hope it's up by tonight lol, got a loooooong boring ass work day tomorrow that I really hope I can get through with Tabletop and GT Time

That's awesome! I think it's fun seeing new people try a game and It's nice to see some of the other guys in the office try DnD.

Top Bottom